Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Audible gave me a refund and I gave the customer service monkey a good survey.

I emailed Penguin and got a response:

We appreciate the many questions, comments, suggestions, and ideas that are submitted by our readers and are happy to share them with our Editorial, Publicity, Sales and Marketing departments. Because of the volume of mail received, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a personal response; however, we will certainly forward your comments to them for review. We do not plan to re-record the book.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Seconding that Audible's customer service rocks. I got double-billed a couple months ago (upgraded to platinum and then it still charged me for my new month on normal as well,) and called up, was on the phone for maybe 3 minutes total from the time I dialed, to getting a refund.

I'd already spent that extra credit though, don't tell anybody! :ninja:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

McBeth posted:

We do not plan to re-record the book.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

:argh:

Oh well, I need a new book for my bathroom anyways.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mister Macys posted:

:argh:

Oh well, I need a new book for my bathroom anyways.

Eh. I just finished the audiobook and didn't think it was that bad. Would have preferred Marsters, but Glover didn't make my ears bleed or anything. Maybe it's just that I've heard a lot of truly bad narrations in my audiobook buying past, and I don't think this qualifies.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

I finally called in to reset my Audible activations so I could use the Audible iPhone app, and the app showed me something disturbing....

I.... I think I might have an audiobook problem.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
What's the deal with audible's free 30 day trial? It says I'll get a free 30 day trial and 2 credits to spend initially. If i listen to a book and cancel before the 30 days ends will i get reamed by any hidden fees?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Nope. I did it a while back and then renewed my sub months later.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I picked up the 10th anniversary, Full-Cast edition of American Gods and I quite enjoy it. Wednesday is a bit eh, but the guy doing Shadow convinced me that American Gods should be a movie.. Starring Vin Diesel.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Does anyone know how audiobook narrators get paid? Per-book-sold, or just as a once-off for the initial narration? I was just wondering how companies justify charging almost twice as much for the audiobook than for the printed novel.

On a related note, I'm thinking of signing up for Audible. I'm Australian though, and I'm not sure how our pricing and range of titles compares. Are there any international goons here who can shed light on how good Audible are outside the US?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

jassa posted:

Does anyone know how audiobook narrators get paid? Per-book-sold, or just as a once-off for the initial narration? I was just wondering how companies justify charging almost twice as much for the audiobook than for the printed novel.

You're not just paying the authour and a mass-market book company, you're paying the people required to read, record, produce, and package the audiobook (roughly 1 CD per hour of reading). And any type of performer, whether radio, TV, or voice actor, comes at a premium.
Combined with a lower sale rate compared to books, it adds up. Gotta recoup those costs somehow.

That said, the member price of that specific book on Audible is $19.58, or $11.50, if you're buying with a (Platinum) credit... but they're 100% (proprietary) digital distribution. They don't have to make and ship an rear end-ton of CDs anywhere.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 15, 2011

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Mister Macys posted:

You're not just paying the authour and a mass-market book company, you're paying the people required to read, record, produce, and package the audiobook (roughly 1 CD per hour of reading). And any type of performer, whether radio, TV, or voice actor, comes at a premium.
Combined with a lower sale rate compared to books, it adds up. Gotta recoup those costs somehow.

That said, the member price of that specific book on Audible is $19.58, or $11.50, if you're buying with a (Platinum) credit... but they're 100% (proprietary) digital distribution. They don't have to make and ship an rear end-ton of CDs anywhere.

Pretend I specified the digital distribution version then, as that's all I'd be buying. It still doesn't seem like a reasonable increase even taking into account the cost of recording and the relatively small amount of post-production work done.

Part of my question was whether the narrator is paid a percentage of each audiobook sold, or a flat one-time fee. I suppose it's probably the latter.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

jassa posted:

Pretend I specified the digital distribution version then, as that's all I'd be buying. It still doesn't seem like a reasonable increase even taking into account the cost of recording and the relatively small amount of post-production work done.

Part of my question was whether the narrator is paid a percentage of each audiobook sold, or a flat one-time fee. I suppose it's probably the latter.

According to Wikipedia, it's a flat one-time fee based on hours of audio.

Of course, just like publishers say that printing a physical book and distributing it is a relatively small chunk of the cost of a book to justify an ebook, you now have on top of the cost of producing the book the cost of creating and mastering the audio for an even smaller market of audiobook listeners.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone know if a site has Robert Jordan's Conan the Barbarian novels?

Audible's only got Howard's stuff.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

if your local library supports it theres a lot who use the overdrive system for free audiobooks. only problem is the DRM its horrible, anyone have experience actually getting your books to work on an ipod?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone cares, the latest update for the Audible app allows you to set more playback speeds: 0.5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x and 2x.

This is great because 1.25 lets me shave off like 3-5 hours per book without it sounding weird.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions on another book read by Steven Pacey. He did an amazing job on the First Law Series and for some reason they switched to Michael Page for Best Served Cold and The Heroes and it just wasn't the same. Not that Michael Page is bad he just wasn't as good as Steven Pacey.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I enjoyed Pacey's reading of The Pregnant Widow but I also really like Martin Amis.

On a somewhat related note Money narrated by Graeme Malcom is one of my favorite audiobooks. Malcom is very convincing as John Self. I can't say enough good things about it.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

jassa posted:

On a related note, I'm thinking of signing up for Audible. I'm Australian though, and I'm not sure how our pricing and range of titles compares. Are there any international goons here who can shed light on how good Audible are outside the US?

I signed up with Audible and I am from Australia. I decided to end my subscription though over the distribution rights - all the awesome things available to American customers aren't available to us :(

Pricing wasn't really something I considered, I just brought my books with monthly credits.

I would probably sign up again if I had access to everything.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

imnotinsane posted:

I signed up with Audible and I am from Australia. I decided to end my subscription though over the distribution rights - all the awesome things available to American customers aren't available to us :(

Pricing wasn't really something I considered, I just brought my books with monthly credits.

I would probably sign up again if I had access to everything.

Thanks for the info. I've been delaying making a decision about this since I've been busy, but you've helped make the eventual decision easier. It never ceases to amaze me how difficult copyright holders make it for us to give them our money.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I don't know if this would work or what laws you would be breaking to do it but can't you use a VPN to make it seem like you are in America so you can make those purchases.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Clinton1011 posted:

I don't know if this would work or what laws you would be breaking to do it but can't you use a VPN to make it seem like you are in America so you can make those purchases.

I probably could, but legalities aside... :effort:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I ended my subscription (another Aussie) for the same reason that imnotinsane did. The sheer amount of content we don't have access to due to region locking just pissed me off immensely.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm currently in the middle of The Once and Future King read by Neville Jason, and it's easily one of the best readings I've ever heard. Every character is distinct and full of life in a way that enhances the text instead of just transmitting it. Neville's Merlin and child-Arthur are especially well done. All that, and it's a steal at one credit for 33 hours of listening. I really can't recommend this one highly enough.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Neal Stephenson's new book Reamde is now available on Audible for just 1 credit! Not bad for almost 40 hours. I was fully expecting it to be 2 credits considering that Cryptonomicon and Anathem are both 2 credits and the Baroque Cycle books were split into three and cost 1 credit each.

Has anyone started to listen to it yet?

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I loved every single one of Roy Dotrice's voiceovers. You could instantly identify each character and his voices somehow added to the characters and the scenes. John Lee, who voiced A Feast for Crows sounds like a melodramatic Shakespearean actor in monologue regardless of whether he's reading narration or dialogue and it's driving me crazy. I'm so disappointed that I think I'd rather read the book than listen to the audiobook.

I loved Roy Dotrice's voices too but there is no getting around the fact that in ADWD he forgot which voice he was supposed to be using for Dany.

In the earlier books he used to have a relatively young sounding voice that he used for her (emphasis on relatively), but then in ADWD he switches to an old crone voice for her. She sounds like old Nan.

It didn't really bother me but it's utterly bizarre that nobody caught it, it must mean they didn't go back and listen to the prior books.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rhaegar posted:

Neal Stephenson's new book Reamde is now available on Audible for just 1 credit!

Has anyone started to listen to it yet?

The blurb lost me when I read this:

Audible.com posted:

He also created T’Rain, a multibillion-dollar, massively multiplayer online role-playing game with millions of fans around the world.

But T’Rain’s success has also made it a target. Hackers have struck gold by unleashing REAMDE, a virus that encrypts all of a player’s electronic files and holds them for ransom. They have also unwittingly triggered a deadly war beyond the boundaries of the game’s virtual universe - and Richard is at ground zero.

A thriller revolving around a MMO, where suddenly poo poo GETS REAL YO.
Yeah, I'll pass.

That said, Cryptonomicon was a good read.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If you want a good book with MMO stuff, get Daemon & Freedom. Those books absolutely rule.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
I don't know if this is a good place to ask. I have an android phone and I can play voicemails through my car's radio, is there a way I can get the Audible app to do that? Or some other workaround.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You mean like wirelessly?

You should probably try the Inspect Your Gadgets forum, as I don't think the app itself has that ability.
If your stereo is new enough, just plug in your phone like an ipod/mp3 player, and play it that way.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

coyo7e posted:

So I picked up the 10th anniversary, Full-Cast edition of American Gods and I quite enjoy it. Wednesday is a bit eh, but the guy doing Shadow convinced me that American Gods should be a movie.. Starring Vin Diesel.

HBO is making a series based on American Gods

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

So, i've not heard anybody talk about these specifically in here,

but I went to the library today to check out some audiobooks, it was my first trip to the library in years and they had this new nifty little gizmo for checking out audiobooks.

they're called "play aways", and i suppose the best way to describe them is that they're a self contained mp3 player that contains a single audiobook. While they are not particularly practical for personal purchase and use (amazon says they run from about 40 to 50 dollars each), it makes for a neat way to check them out at the library (and not having to worry about dealing with scratched or damaged discs).

The speed is adjustable (which downloadable versions of audiobooks are doing now), and it is the same content otherwise.

The only downside is that you have to listen to it via the device,a little plastic box with buttons on it that smaller than a deck of cards that has a headphone jack in it (which you can plug into headphones, or your car, or other speakers). I know of the people in here get their books from digital sources.

On the otherhand, while a bit more expensive than the standard audiobook (because of the hardware that goes with it), but you don't have to toss the whole thing because somebody lost or damaged a disc, which is a huge bonus for libraries.

i know this thread is mostly about the content of audiobooks, but these things just struck me as really neat, and was curious to hear what other people thought of the idea.

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 8, 2011

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Roydrowsy posted:

The speed is adjustable (which downloadable versions of audiobooks are doing now), and it is the same content otherwise.
These sound neat. How fine was the control over playback speed? I set Audible to 1.25x but I'd prefer 1.35 or 1.4x - 1.5x is just a hair too fast for me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

blakout posted:

if your local library supports it theres a lot who use the overdrive system for free audiobooks. only problem is the DRM its horrible, anyone have experience actually getting your books to work on an ipod?

Overdrive has an app for iOS that can access your library's website and handle everything wirelessly; Windows devices have to go through a whole other PC intermediary "Overdrive Media Console" that is essentially a giant roadblock. Got the app, though? Just download wirelessly with your library card!

On the endorsement front: I loved Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" as read by Maggie Gyllenhaal. She did a good job of pronouncing everything in this intricate style that made the narrator sound cautious and vaguely impressed by the writing lifestyle, then the long spiral down...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I've always thought that Wednesday should be played by Anthony Hopkins, particularly after listening to the original audiobook of American Gods.

Has anyone listened to the second book of 'The Strain' trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro? The first was read by Ron Perlman but Audible have a different narrator this time around, presumably Perlman was busy.

Also, for another great reading, Stephen Lang doing 'Heart Shaped Box' is fantastic.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

These sound neat. How fine was the control over playback speed? I set Audible to 1.25x but I'd prefer 1.35 or 1.4x - 1.5x is just a hair too fast for me.

I don't know the specifics offhand, the device doesn't tell you too clearly, its just a bunch of symbols, but there are five settings. I havent had time to play with it much yet. I'll look into it later.

The speeds range from "slowest, slow, normal, fast & fastest" but I don't see any information about what those speeds actually translate to. Lots of info at playaway.com

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 9, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Just went through Kraken by China Miéville. Excellent narrator, hadn't read the book before so it was all new. I recommend it.

Streebs posted:

HBO is making a series based on American Gods
Hot poo poo, starring Vin Diesel? :ohdear:

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
"Perhaps more interesting to our readers, however, is the announcement that Playtone will be behind the previously announced adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods for HBO, and that with the production company’s involvement, they’re doing it up appropriately huge. Playtone is now prepared to produce at least six seasons of the show, with a budget of nearly $40 million per season, all to make room for the effects-heavy renditions of gods both ancient and contemporary—more effects than have been used on a television series before, according to Hanks’ production partner Gary Goetzman."

http://www.avclub.com/articles/toda...vclub_rss_daily

drat I can't wait for that.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

coyo7e posted:

Just went through Kraken by China Miéville. Excellent narrator, hadn't read the book before so it was all new. I recommend it.

Hot poo poo, starring Vin Diesel? :ohdear:

There's not much info out on it yet but I doubt Vin Diesel is in it. Would be cool though, Vin Diesel owns gently caress the haters

Back on topic to the thread, I just finished listening to Dresden Files book 2 on audio book, it was pretty awesome. I read book 1, currently reading book 3 but I was on a plane for awhile last week so figured it'd be nice to try an audio book for once. James Marsters does a great job.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Streebs posted:

Back on topic to the thread, I just finished listening to Dresden Files book 2 on audio book, it was pretty awesome. I read book 1, currently reading book 3 but I was on a plane for awhile last week so figured it'd be nice to try an audio book for once. James Marsters does a great job.

God drat that's a great series, and book 3 is when it starts getting absolutely amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The neat thing about the Dresden Files series, is that as you progress through the books, you can actually notice both Jim Butcher and James Marsters improving along the way.

And that's one of the reasons a lot of people gave Ghost Story bad reviews.
The replacement narrator is like the equivalent of culture shock: the delivery is just so different, you can't get used to it if you've been following the series from the beginning.