Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

You are unreliable, legit reasons or not. There have been plenty of posts in the thread that are basically posted by your coworkers about the flaky girl that never works, always makes demands and complains higher up when she doesn't get what she wants.

What are the loving chances that the people she works with are also goons? Anyway, I'm sure you will feel the same way whenever you get something that sidelines you.

I'd fight that poo poo, and again say that company isn't worth your time. The unfortunate part is they have a negative assumption of you already, and that's hard to shake off. Fight it, and if they fire you file unemployment, you'd get more guaranteed hours through that anyway.

And it isn't cheap, but if you are likely to have more med problems, I would honestly suggest looking at getting AFLAC for extra coverage. It obviously isn't free, but I've heard good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
I am a manager and need someone to pick up a few more hours and my choices are between Peter, Paul and Mary.

Peter is a pothead who is flaky as poo poo, doesn't show up on time, cuts out early, calls others to take his shifts.

Paul has not been late once in his employment, always takes the shifts he commits to, and sometimes is picking up Peter's shits.

Mary is a good worker but has been in and out of work a lot leaving me in a tight spot and again calling Paul to take on more shifts.

Look at it from the manager's point of view. If all three ask for extra hours, who are you going to want assign the extra hours? Sure Mary might have a valid excuse, but at the end of the day she didn't make it to work as reliably as Paul.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

alreadybeen posted:

I am a manager and need someone to pick up a few more hours and my choices are between Peter, Paul and Mary.

Peter is a pothead who is flaky as poo poo, doesn't show up on time, cuts out early, calls others to take his shifts.

Paul has not been late once in his employment, always takes the shifts he commits to, and sometimes is picking up Peter's shits.

Mary is a good worker but has been in and out of work a lot leaving me in a tight spot and again calling Paul to take on more shifts.

Look at it from the manager's point of view. If all three ask for extra hours, who are you going to want assign the extra hours? Sure Mary might have a valid excuse, but at the end of the day she didn't make it to work as reliably as Paul.

Mary is great at her job, but has a loving medical condition which makes it impossible for her to work whenever it arises. She has documentation as required by her employer and always makes up for her absenteeism. It developed during her employment and isn't a pre-existing condition. Yet it's all her fault she became sick.

As someone who was once in and out of the ER for three months 4 times a week and had her life impacted by it permanently, :fuckoff:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

miscellaneous14 posted:

You're aware that workplaces cannot punish employees based on things like this, right?
I don't think giving her hours as a bagger instead of in CS is a punishment, it's just that one probably has to always have a reliable, CS-trained person behind the desk while the other can pull people from other areas of the store in case of legitimate absence. Not denying that the guy is a dick, but it's not really an unfair decision.

Yesterday we found a bloody hanger and blood spattered and smeared in the children's fitting room. Uhm. No one knows what happened, and I'd rather not think about it.

Today I volunteered to be the chick whose literal only job is to organize all the denim in the store by size, all shift, every shift. I volunteered because I knew it was more of a morning/afternoon job and I hate closing. But then I found out it's actually 6am-2pm M-F. Hooray for a consistent schedule, and weekends off! Boo for waking up at 5 every day.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

What are the loving chances that the people she works with are also goons? Anyway, I'm sure you will feel the same way whenever you get something that sidelines you.

I don't think Klaus Kinski meant that literally.

Every workplace has a "that girl" or "that guy" that for legitimate reasons or not, is always sick.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was recently doing a CVS remodel, and for a few nights (mostly the nights we had to move the alcohol or tobacco products) we had a security guard in the store. However one night a guy grabbed some alcohol and ran out the store, and the guard did nothing. He said he's only to be a visual deterrent and an eye witness, California law disallows him from chasing that fucker down and tackling his rear end.

Please tell me this is a California only law, besides me wanting to be a guard to get some extra cash, I plan on getting out of this state (saving up to move out plus college to be a cop... which in a state who's current answer to debt is CUT POLICE FUNDING...ya) and I don't want to be paid to just be an eye witness. On paper it'd be nice to stand around and tell the police the color shirt of the shoplifter, I'm sure its incredibly boring in practice.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

You're aware that workplaces cannot punish employees based on things like this, right?

:rolleyes: Let me know where your world of sunshine and rainbows is.

I'd also like to point out that if you have two options to pick from, who are you going to choose?

-Good worker
-Good worker who is prone to taking days off, legit or not.

Edit: I see I didn't reach the end of the thread, only the end of the page.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Whether or not she's unreliable due to her illness, they still aren't allowed to penalize, punish, or treat her differently than the other employees.

Going to the ER frequently and calling out of work does make you unreliable, but she has documentation and still deserves the same opportunities as the other, healthy and able-bodied employees.

To be honest, though, they probably cut your hours hoping you'd quit because they can't legally fire you over your illness :smith:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

:rolleyes: Let me know where your world of sunshine and rainbows is.

Yeah, this isn't even a retail thing, it's an American thing. If you get sick in a way that's hurting the company, you can expect negative consequences.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shnooks posted:

Whether or not she's unreliable due to her illness, they still aren't allowed to penalize, punish, or treat her differently than the other employees.

Going to the ER frequently and calling out of work does make you unreliable, but she has documentation and still deserves the same opportunities as the other, healthy and able-bodied employees.

To be honest, though, they probably cut your hours hoping you'd quit because they can't legally fire you over your illness :smith:

I don't think anyone was saying they would fire her for going to HR over that manager's comments, just that they would find SOME reason to do so. A guy I worked for once managed to sack an employee for not reporting to be searched at the start and end of each shift. Frankly, no one ever really did, but he reminded EVERYONE apart from the target. Guy failed to report for searching something like three times, got a warning for it, managed to forget about it again, got sacked for misconduct. For various reasons i wont go into the guy deserved sacking, but had he been sacked for any of those reasons HR would have had seizures.

Management, much like life, finds a way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think anyone was saying they would fire her for going to HR over that manager's comments, just that they would find SOME reason to do so. A guy I worked for once managed to sack an employee for not reporting to be searched at the start and end of each shift. Frankly, no one ever really did, but he reminded EVERYONE apart from the target. Guy failed to report for searching something like three times, got a warning for it, managed to forget about it again, got sacked for misconduct. For various reasons i wont go into the guy deserved sacking, but had he been sacked for any of those reasons HR would have had seizures.

Searched? Did you work in a blood diamond mine or something?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

baquerd posted:

Nah, just a computer game store. In a related story, another manager at a different store got written up when he caught one of his staff stealing. He was expecting that the company would prosecute the member of staff - instead he got a formal warning or failing to search the staff.

Policy is GREAT.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

baquerd posted:

This is (or at least was) a common thing in the big supermarket chains in the UK. Both TESCO and Sainsbury's had a random employee search policy while I worked for them. If you were randomly stopped by security on your way out on search day, you just had to turn out your pockets for them. You could request to be searched in private, by a female if you were female etc etc. Failure to do so would mean disciplinary action, which is fair enough really because it was just turning out your pockets, which shouldn't be a big deal if you've got nothing to hide.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'd fight that poo poo, and again say that company isn't worth your time. The unfortunate part is they have a negative assumption of you already, and that's hard to shake off. Fight it, and if they fire you file unemployment, you'd get more guaranteed hours through that anyway.

And it isn't cheap, but if you are likely to have more med problems, I would honestly suggest looking at getting AFLAC for extra coverage. It obviously isn't free, but I've heard good things.

Call me passive or spineless, but going to HR will just piss off management so bad, that it's just not worth it.

If the only issues was unreliability in the past, then I believe there's still a chance to resolve this negative opinion of her, but it will take time. Keep looking for a second job that isn't in direct competition of the store to help supplement your current income. At your current job just keep a low profile and try not to butt heads with management. Eventually management will get transferred or stop caring about your past and worry about other things, your standing with the company will improve gradually and give you more opportunities for hours.

This may not be ideal, but it seems you don't have very many options available. Personally I'd just transfer to another city and start fresh and work my rear end off.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm flaky and unreliable even though the times when I felt well enough to work, I took dozens of shifts I wasn't scheduled for, sometimes even working 2 or 3 shifts in one day.
I will remember this.
Guess sick people just shouldn't have jobs!

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Robzor McFabulous posted:

This is (or at least was) a common thing in the big supermarket chains in the UK. Both TESCO and Sainsbury's had a random employee search policy while I worked for them. If you were randomly stopped by security on your way out on search day, you just had to turn out your pockets for them. You could request to be searched in private, by a female if you were female etc etc. Failure to do so would mean disciplinary action, which is fair enough really because it was just turning out your pockets, which shouldn't be a big deal if you've got nothing to hide.

I know someone who worked in the cafe of a popular UK department store chain and she had to turn out their pockets at the start and end of every shift to prove she hadn't been stealing money (or sandwiches, I guess), plus random checks throughout the day whenever the managers felt like it.

It sounded pretty weird when she was telling me about it, but I guess it's more common than I thought.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

silversiren posted:

I'm flaky and unreliable even though the times when I felt well enough to work, I took dozens of shifts I wasn't scheduled for, sometimes even working 2 or 3 shifts in one day.
I will remember this.

I don't suppose you're eligible for short term disability? I doubt it, but if you are its something you should use

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

silversiren posted:

I will remember this.

They don't care about you, and you could be laid off or fired just 'cause they feel like it. It doesn't matter how good you are, or how well liked by customers, you are just another warm body to help low level management get bonuses and take better vacations. Been through it myself, it really gave me a new point of view when it comes to doing my service industry job.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So of course a few days after posting about not wearing a nametag a manager finally spots it. Welp, it was a good 2 years of customers not being able to smugly use my name but its all over now.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Me: Okay, that'll be £5.30 please.
Customer: Here's £10.
Me: Thanks.
Customer: Wait, I've got change!

I scoop up the 30p of change.

Customer: Um, a "thank you for the change" would be nice. :colbert:

Giving me 30p in change does not make you the messiah, you dick.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Volcano posted:

Me: Okay, that'll be £5.30 please.
Customer: Here's £10.
Me: Thanks.
Customer: Wait, I've got change!

I scoop up the 30p of change.

Customer: Um, a "thank you for the change" would be nice. :colbert:

Giving me 30p in change does not make you the messiah, you dick.

People expect thanks for that? Whenever I do it it's usually convenient for me to unload the extra coinage anyway.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Pureauthor posted:

People expect thanks for that? Whenever I do it it's usually convenient for me to unload the extra coinage anyway.

Yeah, one £5 note is a lot lighter in his pocket than £4.70 in coins, but on the other hand I don't care how much the till weighs.

Maybe all he had left was his grandfather's prized heirloom 10p coin and his lucky 20p that he'd had since childhood, and yet he was generously offering them to me out of fear that I would otherwise run out of change, be unable to serve customers, lose my job and have to live on the streets scavenging day-old chips from the gutter to survive, but somehow I'm guessing he was just a twat.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Volcano posted:

Maybe all he had left was his grandfather's prized heirloom 10p coin and his lucky 20p that he'd had since childhood, and yet he was generously offering them to me out of fear that I would otherwise run out of change, be unable to serve customers, lose my job and have to live on the streets scavenging day-old chips from the gutter to survive, but somehow I'm guessing he was just a twat.

Very rarely do I actually laugh out loud while reading stuff on the internet.

Beautiful.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

AlmightyBob posted:

So of course a few days after posting about not wearing a nametag a manager finally spots it. Welp, it was a good 2 years of customers not being able to smugly use my name but its all over now.

This is almost definitely too late for you, since you've been working there for 2 years, but when I worked retail I used to put my middle name on my name tag. Yeah, most of my coworkers called by my middle name, too, but at least it was marginally less dehumanizing when a :byodame: would screech "I MAKE MORE MONEY IN AN HOUR THAN YOU DO IN A WEEK, MIDDLE NAME!!!"

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!

mobby_6kl posted:

Looking forward to part two, but how the hell was she already not fired by then for abusing customers and generally being a complete nutcase? All while some poor chick who took an unapproved break got fired on the spot.

I should have made that more clear.  The girl skipping out on us was from a previous job to this, at Macy's.  It just always seemed a great example of a bad employee-hood.  Ditching out on a busy Saturday holiday weekend and having NO clue why everyone was upset.
All of this took place when I managed a women's clothing boutique.  As far as why Teresa was allowed to continue on, it was a coalescence of different issues.  My store manager had gotten fired from a hugely well paying upper management job just before taking this job.  I never found out why, but she was terrified of stepping on anyone's toes.  Our corporate preferred us to not fire anyone except for in extreme cases.  We were just supposed to basically "encourage" them to not work anymore.  In other words, cut hours, give inconvienent shifts, yaddah yaddah.  Everyone was just afraid to be seen as the bad guy because we were supposed to be the best company.  To give you an idea, it wasn't until the Regional Manager gave us permission to that we started to actually write this woman up for her bad behavior.
Additionally, and god help me for this, but the woman managed to get sales above and beyond any other salesperson there, which made us far more wary about getting her in trouble because from a corporate perspective, it looked bad.  We dealt with women who would come in depressed with body issues.  A lot of them were perimenopause, and even if they kept fit, they were suddenly seeing the effects of age.  They'd come in looking for clothes for a class reunion or wedding and hate what they see in the mirror.  Done properly, we were supposed to build them up, make them feel better about themselves.  Teresa would break them down instead.  They were fat, they were ugly, but this outfit made them less so.  Did they want to look bad with some horrible old outfit?  This one outfit was their only chance to look LESS fat and ugly.  She fed on the low self esteem, validated their self hate, broke them down and they were willing to spend anything to lift themselves up.  This didn't work on everyone, of course, but a self confident woman buying a $120 blouse will not be as good as the desperate woman who is willing to blow $1900 on two outfits, and hey 10% savings if you get a credit card!

So, anyway, back to Teresa stories.
 We had a store reset that had to be done overnight Thursday into Friday while the store was closed.  We'd bring in every employee who could concievably work overnight, it was a 14 hour shift time and a half.  This store was plan-o-grammed to hell, so we planned everything ahead of time.  We started with the store open, started unpacking boxes and staging clothes on racks.  Chatting it over while unpacking, we decided we would take our first fifteen minute break at close, all take our unpaid half hour at midnight, and then spread our other two paids out over the rest of early morning.  One of my coworkers volunteered that if everyone pitched in money and gave orders, she'd run over on the first fifteen and pick up dinner for everyone.  She gathered up everyone's sandwich orders, wrote them down and called them in to be ready for her at nine.
 Everyone, except for Teresa. 
 When my coworker came around for everyone's orders, Teresa claimed that she was too busy to think about what sandwich she wanted, even though she was doing the same work as the rest of us at that moment.  It was almost time for closing, and someone reminded her that, if she wanted to order, she had better do it now, as coworker would be leaving to pick up the order soon.
 Cue insanity.
 Teresa got on the phone with the sandwich place, inexplicably putting it on speaker phone, so everyone in the next room got a great earfull of the building craziness.
 First she demands to know their soups.  They have none, and she flips out that what kind of sandwich place doesn't have soups.  Then she insists that the menu she has in front of her must be incorrect because the coupon we had with it was expired (???) and demands to know everything on the menu.  The guy refuses to read off their 3 page menu.  So, she asks what they have that is good for an upset stomach.  The sandwich guy, at this point snarky as hell, says he's not a doctor.  So she asks for a grilled cheese sandwich with tomatoes, which they didn't carry.  "WHATS SO HARD ABOUT A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH?  YOU HAVE BREAD AND CHEESE AND TOMATOES!"  Sandwich guy is just losing it at this moment and says he doesn't have a grill and that's even in the goddamn name.  "I AM GOING TO HAVE YOUR GOSHFORSAKEN JOB FOR THIS RAWR!" and the sandwich guy just hangs up on him.
 Teresa storms out back of the store and starts pacing and yelling at nothing for a while, while we half laugh and half wonder what the hell, but everyone is a bit on edge because the whole exchange was just so plain weird.  The store closes, and the chosen coworker heads out to the sandwich place, the rest of us head over to Starbucks.  Teresa though, goes to a restaurant a few doors down the opposite way to buy her soup.
 The rest of the employees come back in the fifteen minutes, we lock the doors and the coworker who ran for the sandwiches informs us that due to Teresa's behavior the store is banned from ordering from the sandwich place ever again, although they did let us have this order.  At this moment, we notice Teresa is missing.  It's over a half hour after the rest of us got back from break before she is knocking at the door, clutching a styrofoam bowl and a baguette.
 So another manager and I talk to her about being over breaks and how unfair it is to other employees, etc.  She claims it took her 45 minutes to get her soup poured, which knowing this restaurant is about impossible, they were known for being quick.  We tell her to clock back in and join the rest of the staff working and she blows up again.  The rest of us may be getting cold sandwiches which will keep but HER soup will not be fresh anymore at midnight.  She needs a few more minutes on her break to eat it now.
 Just to shut her up and get back to work I suggest she claims the additional half hour she was gone as her two other paid 15 minute breaks, and clocks out for her half hour unpaid break now and eat her goddamn soup.  It means that she doesn't get any more breaks that day, but also means she didn't violate our break policy and means less paperwork for everyone.  She agrees and sits down to eat.  I also go out and rearrange duties so that she is on opening shipping boxes and taking out trash, because at this moment I don't trust her to get anything done that day.  She still manages to go over her half hour, btw. 
 Fast forward to midnight, and everyone in the store other than Teresa stops and settles down on the floor for dinner.  We're chit chatting, eating our sandwiches, just enjoying break, when I notice that Teresa has come out of the back room and is circling the other employees like a wolf circling camp.  Every now and then she makes an exasperating harrumph noise, and looks for reactions.  She loudly rattles the hangers.  She glares at us.  I decide to ignore her because it was just weird and annoying, and I think the other employees did as well.
 So the night ends, everyone takes their other two breaks without incident.  Teresa, of course, works through the evening with no additional breaks.  But the whole time, she's huffing and rolling her eyes, and just letting everyone know how pissed off she was about... something.
 Two days later, we have an email from corporate, asking us about an incident they had reported from one of our employees.
 Teresa had claimed that she was forced to do the majority of the floor set herself, with the 20 some other employees doing nothing.  She claimed we just got cofee and sandwiches sent in.  Worst of all, she said that at midnight, we all just sat down and didn't do any work for a half hour, while she slaved away.
It took forever to clear up that no, one person didn't do the labor of 20, that we weren't just slacking off for a half hour, that we just took our mandated half hour, etc.  The other thing that settled it was pulling out timecards to prove it all.

I should point out that I know a little about this woman's background, because in her file (which we referred to frequently when we started writing up) her resume was stapled to the front.
Basically, she had graduated from some liberal arts college with a bachelors in education back in the late 70s, has zero work history for 35 years, and then a smattering of part time retail jobs over the past four years.  The other thing she had for more than a few months was that she taught piano for a few years out of her home.
But Teresa's kids were grown, she was no longer a homemaker, no, she was ready to jump into the job industry.  And she wanted, more than anything to teach elementary school.  She tossed in a few applications with various school districts and got nothing back.  And Teresa had figured out why.
It was the drat immigrants.
Yes, immigrants were taking her job, her rightful place working as a school teacher.  Nevermind that when she complained, other employees  pointed out her incomplete and poorly written resume, her complete lack of experience, and the fact that her degree was woefully out of date.  She knew better.  And she knew the person  whos fault it was.
Another employee, Nicole, had legally been a citizen of Great Britain, and was currently working as a biology teacher, with this as her weekend job as she saved up for a house with her husband.  She was born in Great Britain to two American parents who had taken jobs there.  She lived there until she was 6, then they came to the United States.  She hadn't bothered to change her citizenship until she was married.
But to Teresa, she was an immigrant who had taken her rightful job as a teacher.  Nevermind that Nicole had a Masters, taught at a secondary level private school and was totally working at a completely different job than Teresa wanted, she had an outlet for her anger.
Teresa started a quiet campaign of terror against Nicole that started out so subtle we didn't even notice at first.  She'd make comments around her about illegal aliens. She would compliment Nicole on her lack of accent.  She'd ask questions about the country Nicole was from.  Then it escalated, and customers started asking us who the employee was who was here on a green card, or we'd hear her commenting to customers that you can't buy American, and this company won't even hire American.  If anything, it just confused the hell out of customers looking for the alien in the room and never expecting it to be blonde haired blue eyed Nicole who spoke with a slight Valley Girl inflection.
This was right before we were allowed to write her up, and we had to give her this weird speech about cultural understanding and respect and frankly how completely insane this whole thing was.  The weird thing was this that she was constantly blowing the whistle on perceived discrimination and racism, when she was easily the most bizarro racist person there.

And the teacher thing?  Inexplicably, she managed to eventually get a job working as a music teacher at a local elementary school.  We got to drop her hours even further, so we loved it.  It lasted a little over a month before they "gave her the option to quit".  I tried so desperately to find out what had happened that she got canned so quickly, because usually schools don't like high turnover, but never did.

Alright, the next time I have access to a keyboard and I'm not typing on the ipod, I'll add more.  I could fill a whole page with her stories.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!
On the sick co-worker note I've been dealing with this a lot recently. I probably shouldn't care because I don't work there anymore (as of recently :dance:), but it's something that I've been thinking about. I work in a cell center, but the story is applicable. Let me know what you think:

I work with another employee who takes a lot of time off due to medical issues. I remember 2 weeks where she came in every day, but other than that she takes at least 1-2 days off per week. On days when she does "come in", she usually comes in approximately 2-3 hours late.

She has told me a couple of times that her absences are due to migraines and a recent hospitalization for a serious medical problem. I was almost constantly annoyed by the fact that she came in late/not at all, but I tried to be understanding as it was due to a medical condition and not hold it against her. She is a very sweet person and we talk often, so I try to be understanding but it can be really frustrating.

However in the past couple of months I've started noticing things that make me think that she is abusing what is probably a legitimate medical excuse.
- she always says that she doesn't like to work when I'm not there because the work is hard and she likes to have help. I work different hours than her and am off on Thursdays... but I don't think she's worked on a Thursday more than twice in a 6 month period.
- when she comes in late it is usually right before lunch. She often arrives with a large Starbucks beverage or a to-go cup from a popular sit down restaurant. She almost always arrives just after I've done all the opening ("hard" work).
- she spends a lot of time on her cell phone talking to various people, like her boyfriend or her doctor's office. A few days ago she spent an hour and a half on the phone arguing about something or other. She was not doing work during this time, and had plugged her headset into her cell phone so that it looked like she was on the phone. Our position isn't monitored very closely like a normal call center, so she can get away with doing this
- I called in sick recently due to some rather specific "lady problems". I mentioned this to her (we talk pretty frankly between ourselves).. a few days later she called in sick and when she came back basically gave my exact excuse up word-for-word. Another day when she had a 'migraine' she told me later that she'd watched an entire season of a popular tv show that day.
- She usually spends most of her day at work not working as much as possible. She takes incredibly long breaks and spends a lot of time reading or watching tv on her phone while not working. She almost never completes her portion of the work and I usually either end up doing it for her or it just never gets done.
- On a day when she found out I was leaving early for some reason she said "oh yeah my stomach hurts I'm going to go home early too" and we ended up walking out together.

Anyway, like I said I don't work there anymore so it's not really my concern, but my friend has been trying to convince me for a while that I should really talk to management about it (especially now that I don't work there) and at least caution them to monitor her more closely during the day. I don't think that I will but this is something I war about in my brain a lot - is it medical? is it not? should I care? probably not. Usually I'd just try to get through my day as best I could and not let it bother me but then I post some big rambling thing like this on the internet about how yes, actually, it really does bother me. And then I feel bad, blah blah blah.

I guess this is more venting than anything else.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

redheadgeek posted:

I could fill a whole page with her stories.

Please do, because she sounds like a loving lunatic. I'd laugh if I wasn't so horrified by her totally rabid selling technique.

Does she still have that job? Please tell me you got rid of her eventually. :ohdear:

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

hello clarice posted:

Anyway, like I said I don't work there anymore so it's not really my concern, but my friend has been trying to convince me for a while that I should really talk to management about it (especially now that I don't work there) and at least caution them to monitor her more closely during the day.

I don't think you have to worry about it, she probably quit as soon as she found out that you had moved on by the sounds of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Moving to Philly in less than a month and am currently having a bash my head against the wall moment finding a job. I've sold Sprint for 2 years, my numbers are all top 5 level, so finding a job shouldn't be THAT hard. More notably though, I'm leaning towards trying to get in at Sprint corporate instead of Indirect, which does make the transition harder.

The job I was shooting for (B2B) seems to have been taken off, so I now will be shooting for retail. Not the end of the world since I was shooting for a higher position, but a bummer none the less. And I've already had to "not considered" on my applications, which just blows my mind. The one that called me back last month is cross city from where I would likely be living, so that's frustrating as well.

Getting stuff across in a corporate submission is probably what pisses me off the most. I literally emailed an Independent Sprint dealer and they have pretty much offered me Assistant Management on the spot. Yet, getting a position at corporate has a lot of hemming and hawing. Just irritating. I'm just going to start calling stores and at least introducing myself to pretty much anyone I can find. And I have some Sprint corporate people making calls over next week on my behalf.

So its between an "easier" Indirect job (not really easy, but easier to get, familiar, etc) or a harder to get corporate job. Ironically i could move up faster in indirect, but corporate has more benefits and probably better pay. Anyone have any thoughts? I have I strayed too much off of the "I hate retail" part by pretty much going nuts trying to stay in it?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Duckman2008 posted:

Have I strayed too much off of the "I hate retail" part by pretty much going nuts trying to stay in it?

When I worked retail, I worked my way up as much as possible so I got the best possible deal for myself while staying in the industry. You may as well get as much out of it while you can before you leave for another job/career.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Duckman2008 posted:

Moving to Philly in less than a month and am currently having a bash my head against the wall moment finding a job.
I spent over two months struggling to find a job after I graduated college. My experience was all retail, food service, and some random office work. I ended up finding an awesome job at a non-profit through the Philadelphia Cultural Alliance.

If you can write a cover letter that gets across "I know how to deal with people" you can probably find a job significantly less infuriating than selling phones.

Use your move as an excuse to get out of retail if getting a job at corporate doesn't pan out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

modeski posted:

When I worked retail, I worked my way up as much as possible so I got the best possible deal for myself while staying in the industry. You may as well get as much out of it while you can before you leave for another job/career.

Haha to clarify I actually do NOT hate my current retail job (most of the time). And while I was/am shooting for something higher, I really do not mind working Sprint retailer wherever I move from. My frustration is more all the yellow tape around corporate that makes it hard to just walk in and get a drat job. After my frustration I emailed back a non-Sprint owned store, setup an interview for when I moved, and they would likely give me Assistant Management to start. I just don't know sometimes.

mystery at hog island posted:

If you can write a cover letter that gets across "I know how to deal with people" you can probably find a job significantly less infuriating than selling phones.

Selling phones is not infuriating though (maybe through Big Box), and I'll tell you it pays well once you move up a level or two. And that doesn't take long.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I'm starting to get irritated by one of my coworkers. This 50 year old guy loves cracking sexual jokes with this 30 year female employee. Harmless fun between the two, but drat he never shuts up about it.

What really frustrated me yesterday is that he popped the question, "Do you believe in God?" to which I replied no. What a mistake that was, I got to hear about how I'm going to hell and that I came from apes and how he has nothing to worry about when he dies blah blah blah.

So much for respecting other people's beliefs in the workplace.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

ijii posted:

I'm starting to get irritated by one of my coworkers. This 50 year old guy loves cracking sexual jokes with this 30 year female employee. Harmless fun between the two, but drat he never shuts up about it.

What really frustrated me yesterday is that he popped the question, "Do you believe in God?" to which I replied no. What a mistake that was, I got to hear about how I'm going to hell and that I came from apes and how he has nothing to worry about when he dies blah blah blah.

So much for respecting other people's beliefs in the workplace.

That is what HR is for. Religious harassment has no place at work, and is actually illegal.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Someone bought an ~£11 item today and paid for it entirely in change. The largest coin she gave us was a 20p. After several minutes of counting we dumped it all in the till and overloaded it so much that it was physically impossible to shut the cash drawer. :suicide:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Volcano posted:

Someone bought an ~£11 item today and paid for it entirely in change. The largest coin she gave us was a 20p. After several minutes of counting we dumped it all in the till and overloaded it so much that it was physically impossible to shut the cash drawer. :suicide:

Don't you have the right to refuse poo poo like that?

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I don't know about how it is at his workplace, but at mine (and judging from this thread, many other peoples') workplace(s), even if you theoretically have the right to refuse a customer, actually exercising that right has a 90% chance of resulting in a spineless shithead manager of some sort getting complained to, and in turn coming back to talk to you, customer in tow and looking smug as gently caress, and telling you to give in to whatever stupid request the customer had for you.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pureauthor posted:

Probably not as it's legal tender. It's annoying as hell, yes, but money is money as far as the law and management are concerned.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Legal tender must be accepted as repayment if someone owes you money. But you have a right to refuse to sell them something if they only have a pile of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anemone Mine
Dec 30, 2010
The royal mint says:

quote:

Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£5 (Crown) - for any amount
£2 - for any amount
£1 - for any amount
50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10