Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
A simple 'thanks for what you do' never bothered me, personally. It avoids either me having to wonder why i'm getting flashed strange gestures/gang signs or having to smile and nod through whatever 15-minute anecdote you have about your uncle who was in the service during the 70s COLD WAR MANG.

I did have a meal bought for me while I was waiting for a flight once, and whoever it was didn't even come up to me (I found out when I came up to the register). That was most appreciated, and I think really classy. They didn't even want the egostroke of me coming up to thank them profusely and try to pay for myself. Coolest stranger ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i would appreciate a hug

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Rrail posted:

i would appreciate a hug

Big titty bitches only. 99% of the time if a service member is in uniform he's either brand new and wants attention or is being forced to. A simple thank you avoids embarrassment. Or free poo poo. Free poo poo rocks.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my fav is when the pilot asks everyone to applaud them

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Sorry if this got asked on the previous page; I only read this one.

My gf flies enough that she sees military personnel in uniform at airports pretty frequently. She wants to know what the right etiquette for showing appreciation to them.

I knew of this campaign from a while back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo
and I don't know if that took off or not. I'd like to hear what if anything people might think is appropriate.

That is surprisingly suspect of how you say you're pregnant in ASL, is it not?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Can anyone of you more knowledgable folks identify the various tanks and other tracked vehicles in this video?
[edit]Never mind, the video was removed by the user.

And can anyone identify this stubby looking tank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVctIkhCBkY
It's apparently being used by the rebels in the Nafusa mountains.

It's a T-54/55. You can tell by the road wheels. There's a gap between the first road wheel and the second and then the other four are close together. The T-62 is different in that the first three are closely spaced and then the last two have larger gaps between them. I can't be any more specific because A) there are a fuckton of variants for the T-54/55 B) they've got some kind of netting or ersatz canvas camouflage on the upper portions of the tank that obscure most of external features. I'll bet it's because the actual tank is still painted green. :saddowns:

T-54 - http://www.armyrecognition.com/images/stories/east_europe/russia/main_battle_tank/t-55/T-55_main_battle_tank_Russian_Russia_army_640.jpg

T-62 - http://www.armyrecognition.com/Russe/vehicules_lourds/T_62/T_62_14.jpg

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 10, 2011

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

thetechnoloser posted:

A simple 'thanks for what you do' never bothered me, personally. It avoids either me having to wonder why i'm getting flashed strange gestures/gang signs or having to smile and nod through whatever 15-minute anecdote you have about your uncle who was in the service during the 70s COLD WAR MANG.

I did have a meal bought for me while I was waiting for a flight once, and whoever it was didn't even come up to me (I found out when I came up to the register). That was most appreciated, and I think really classy. They didn't even want the egostroke of me coming up to thank them profusely and try to pay for myself. Coolest stranger ever.

I had a surreal experience while buying cat food at a local Petco. I had just finished paying and was putting my credit card away when out of the blue she says, "What branch of service are you in?" I didn't catch on to what she said so I asked her to repeat it. She did. I replied, "Formerly Army, now separated, was a cav scout." She then said, "Thank you for your service!" I was kind of floored for a few seconds, then chuckled when I realized that she recognized the blue USAA card that I'd paid with. I complimented her on her observation skills and went on my way.

So here's a question: What do you think you should say in return when someone comes up and thanks you for serving in the military?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I just go with a simple "Thank you I/we really appreciate that" and a smile. The first few times were kind of awkward though.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
DONT THANK ME THANK MY RECRUITER AHAHAHA

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arishtat posted:

So here's a question: What do you think you should say in return when someone comes up and thanks you for serving in the military?

Shout "I SERVED MY SENTENCE WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?!"

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My girlfriend got out of a ticket when she got into a minor fender bender because of my Engineer sticker on the back of my car. Turns out the cop was in the nearby NG unit and "Engineers are a cool bunch to drink with".

I loving hate it when people welcome me home after I mention to them I returned back in 2006.

I really just need to stop using my ACU backpack but it's so useful and was free.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

My girlfriend got out of a ticket when she got into a minor fender bender because of my Engineer sticker on the back of my car. Turns out the cop was in the nearby NG unit and "Engineers are a cool bunch to drink with".

I loving hate it when people welcome me home after I mention to them I returned back in 2006.

I really just need to stop using my ACU backpack but it's so useful and was free.

Oh I use the poo poo out of the vet card when it comes to police. $210 ticket and 4 points for 61 in a 40? Nah dawg $54 and no points, mad respect for the Army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep glop posted:

Oh I use the poo poo out of the vet card when it comes to police. $210 ticket and 4 points for 61 in a 40? Nah dawg $54 and no points, mad respect for the Army.

:whatup:

I got caught doing 83 in a 65 a week ago, cop dropped it to "Failure to Obey a Traffic Control Device". $45 ticket.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Not sure where to ask this, but I guess you military lot would have a better idea of this sort of things. I'm trying to figure out the approximate time this video was shot. I've made a map of the route of the video, and at 91 seconds you get a good shot of the sun from a fixed position, so I'm wondering if you could figure out the time from that?

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but I guess you military lot would have a better idea of this sort of things. I'm trying to figure out the approximate time this video was shot. I've made a map of the route of the video, and at 91 seconds you get a good shot of the sun from a fixed position, so I'm wondering if you could figure out the time from that?

I'll give it my best shot.

If, in the map you provided, the vehicle in Point A (first 48 seconds) is en route to Point B (48 onwards), taking a look at the shadows of objects such as the truck @ :19 tells me it is in the evening. The route they're taking is NW, and based on the position of the sun in relation to their position, I would safely bet that the video was shot around 6-8 PM. However, I have no idea what the summer days and nights are like in Libya. It could be a later frame than that based on how their seasons are.

Or I could just be totally wrong.

EDIT: Here is a good reference for time in Benghazi giving sunrises and sunsets by date. The sun set at approximately 7:26 yesterday. You can get a pretty good ballpark figure when comparing this to the position at 91 seconds.

Country_Blumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 12, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Snoop Rocket posted:

If, in the map you provided, the vehicle in Point A (first 48 seconds) is en route to Point B (48 onwards), taking a look at the shadows of objects such as the truck @ :19 tells me it is in the evening. The route they're taking is NW, and based on the position of the sun in relation to their position, I would safely bet that the video was shot around 6-8 PM. However, I have no idea what the summer days and nights are like in Libya. It could be a later frame than that based on how their seasons are.

I agree. The direction of travel in the initial portion of the video is generally northwards, so the sun is in the west and low in the sky.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 12, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Snoop Rocket posted:

EDIT: Here is a good reference for time in Benghazi giving sunrises and sunsets by date. The sun set at approximately 7:26 yesterday. You can get a pretty good ballpark figure when comparing this to the position at 91 seconds.

I was guessing it was about that time, the sun seemed fairly low, and as you say, it appears to be in the northwest.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 12, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another question related to that, where on the internet could you get weather satellite data from a couple of days ago?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Brown Moses posted:

Another question related to that, where on the internet could you get weather satellite data from a couple of days ago?

you're a terrorist bro

If thats a Polo i have the same blue shirt as a "freedom fighter"

Not sure how I feel abt that

nice shirt bro either way

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Brown Moses posted:

Weatherspark.com might have what you're looking for.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Red Crown posted:

Weatherspark.com might have what you're looking for.

That's great, thanks.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

gleep glop posted:

I do not have my squadron sticker on my car for pride or recognition. It is for this exact reason.

:snoop: :hfive: :snoop:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Air Force license plates. :)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
gently caress yes, 2 and a half months I can get vet plates. Hello no tickets.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Arishtat posted:

I say "you're welcome".

Also cannot wait to get my NYS GWOT plates :snoop:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I'd get vet plates but I really don't want to advertise that I'm military, at all, and people around here would light my car on fire.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep glop posted:

I'd get vet plates but I really don't want to advertise that I'm military, at all, and people around here would light my car on fire.

Vet plates + Engineer sticker on my car has gotten me quite a bit of free things. I'm a sucker for free things.

Like free taco bell in the middle of West Virginia last weekend at 1am. And other stuff I can't remember.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Vet plates or unit sticker combined with anything LEO related helps. A friend of mine donated $100 and got some sort of XX PD Donor thing for his truck. Works great.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
Car just arrived at the VPC and now I am really considering the vet plates. I think getting out of a ticket outweighs the cheesiness/advertising.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Also worth nothing that you might get a discount on your property taxes (if you have them) by having vet plates.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I stay away from unit stickers or anything like that. I just have the "IRQ I Served" and "Combat Infantry" stickers on the back.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

Vet plates + Engineer sticker on my car has gotten me quite a bit of free things. I'm a sucker for free things.

Like free taco bell in the middle of West Virginia last weekend at 1am. And other stuff I can't remember.

I live in a very anti military area in New Jersey. We actually had a Marine on leave from Afghan a few months ago get beaten to death because he was a vet.

vains
May 26, 2004

gleep glop posted:

I live in a very anti military area in New Jersey. We actually had a Marine on leave from Afghan a few months ago get beaten to death because he was a vet.

The closest thing that pops up is a Marine on leave from Iraq shot to death in a carjacking. http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2011/06/funeral_for_jersey_city_marine.html

Was this like a gang related killing or some hippies came at him with a pillowcase full of granola?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

My Spirit Otter posted:

gently caress yes, 2 and a half months I can get vet plates. Hello no tickets.

:lol: not in Hampton Roads VA.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Veins McGee posted:

The closest thing that pops up is a Marine on leave from Iraq shot to death in a carjacking. http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2011/06/funeral_for_jersey_city_marine.html

Was this like a gang related killing or some hippies came at him with a pillowcase full of granola?

I apologize, I asked my dad about it and he wasn't killed, I must have mixed these two up, I didn't mean to exaggerate. The one who was beaten was basically by a bunch of young college kids who were desperate for attention.

vains
May 26, 2004

gleep glop posted:

I apologize, I asked my dad about it and he wasn't killed, I must have mixed these two up, I didn't mean to exaggerate. The one who was beaten was basically by a bunch of young college kids who were desperate for attention.

I wasn't trying to jump down your poo poo, it just piqued my interest.

IntangiblePanda
Nov 3, 2009
Why are the F-22 and F-35 equipped with guns? The F-22 has a Vulcan with 480 rounds, and the F-35 has one with only 180 rounds. At the fire rates listed on wikipedia, this is less than a three seconds of shooting for the F-35, and less than five seconds of shooting in the F-22.

How are these weapons used in a modern context? Is it possible/probable to shoot down an enemy aircraft with less than three seconds of gunfire available? I'm genuinely curious, I don't know anything about modern air power and this seems strange.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

IntangiblePanda posted:

Why are the F-22 and F-35 equipped with guns? The F-22 has a Vulcan with 480 rounds, and the F-35 has one with only 180 rounds. At the fire rates listed on wikipedia, this is less than a three seconds of shooting for the F-35, and less than five seconds of shooting in the F-22.

How are these weapons used in a modern context? Is it possible/probable to shoot down an enemy aircraft with less than three seconds of gunfire available? I'm genuinely curious, I don't know anything about modern air power and this seems strange.

It's because the Air Force didn't want a plane without guns.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah they tried that with the F4 Phantom II and it didnt work out so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

IntangiblePanda posted:

Haven't you seen Top Gun? When Maverick is too close for missiles, he switches to guns!

Doctrine for stealth aircraft is to kill the enemy over-the-horizon, but that's not always possible. When in close dogfights, cannons are just as effective now as they were back in WWII and Korea- moreso, really, given modern computerized gunsights.

When used, guns are fired in brief pulses. 3 seconds of ammo is good for 6 half-second shots and equivalent to near a load of missiles; if the gun is on target, even a single round is enough to ruin someone's day. These guns are also used to strafe ground targets; I've heard of instances it's been used in Afghanistan when enemy positions are too close to friendlies to drop bombs on.

• Locked thread