Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

qwako posted:

I wanna start doing muay thai in a couple of months but ive got my cock pierced are the two compatible would i just have to wear a box or something ?

Is a box a cup? If you wear tight underwear or compression tights, and then a cup over your junk, you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

melon cat posted:

I need a new rashguard/training shirt for muay thai. Is Underarmor the way to go, or is there a better brand?

i don't see the point of wearing a rashguard for muay thai/boxing. i don't like the tight feel they have and prefer running shirts, but to each their own. if you're going to use the rashguard for grappling, you might want to consider sport-specific brands as under armour will likely rip easier.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Office Sheep posted:

Thanks. My current kneepads are actually very low profile already but uncomfortable and don't offer much protection. I was hoping for something thicker that could protect my knees more when I do a drop seoi or fall on my knees. It's entirely likely that I just have a really lovely pair and this would still be an improvement.

How am I supposed to size these things If I'm buying online? Is there a reference guide for leg measurements anywhere?

Edit: Never mind. I found a measurement table.
I have a pair of Brutes and can add my recommendation to those however I also have a pair of Fumetsu knee pads which are a bit thicker and really great if you're dropping on your knees a lot.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

melon cat posted:

I need a new rashguard/training shirt for muay thai. Is Underarmor the way to go, or is there a better brand?

I usually get knock-off body armor or other form fitting clothes to train MT in. It bugs me when I teep a guy and my foot gets caught up in their oversized t-shirt. Also, while kind of gross, it lets me get slick from sweat, which better approximates a match so clinching is a bit more realistic.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Office Sheep posted:

Thanks. My current kneepads are actually very low profile already but uncomfortable and don't offer much protection. I was hoping for something thicker that could protect my knees more when I do a drop seoi or fall on my knees. It's entirely likely that I just have a really lovely pair and this would still be an improvement.

How am I supposed to size these things If I'm buying online? Is there a reference guide for leg measurements anywhere?

Edit: Never mind. I found a measurement table.

The guy told me to measure around my knee (my 17.5" circumference fits perfectly into an XL). I admit that I wear the brutes to prevent mat burn and not so much for impact. You'll probably like the brute EXO better for protection. Those fumetsu kneepads look great too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

melon cat posted:

Is Underarmor the way to go, or is there a better brand?

While I like Underarmour in general, their compression shirts/rash guards seem to be cut to only fit the body type of skinny people. I vastly prefer either Mizuno rashguards or Nike dri-fit ones. It's all personal preference though.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I did a search on this thread and couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd ask. Back in college I took some introductory karate course (I'm pretty sure it was shotokan) and I really liked it. Does anyone know a good place in north Brooklyn (i.e. Williamsburg) or Manhattan to learn it? If not, is there a good site to find a decent place?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I was interested in taking up the offer of two free classes from the local kyokushin karate club but I noticed this picture in their gallery: http://i.imgur.com/y9LCh.png.
There's no tatami during training. Is that normal?

V Okay, thanks! Can't wait to go see what the club is like.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 13, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It looks like they're training in a rented sports space, so... yeah. Tatami are expensive and need to be fitted, etc., so it's not really feasible to have them for a rented space.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

While I like Underarmour in general, their compression shirts/rash guards seem to be cut to only fit the body type of skinny people. I vastly prefer either Mizuno rashguards or Nike dri-fit ones. It's all personal preference though.

I have one of the nike Dri-Fit for judo (I wear it under my gi) and for when I do BJJ and I really like it. It's holding up perfectly up to now

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

tarepanda posted:

It looks like they're training in a rented sports space, so... yeah. Tatami are expensive and need to be fitted, etc., so it's not really feasible to have them for a rented space.

does tatame make a difference if you are doing standup? I mean it's basically old fashioned wrestling mats.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It's certainly easier on the feet/ankles than wood on cement.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

does tatame make a difference if you are doing standup? I mean it's basically old fashioned wrestling mats.

If I got knocked out I'd want to fall on something soft. You can't do anything serious on hardwood.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Ain't noone getting knocked out in karate.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

foobat posted:

Don't do a brutal warmup, you're trying to keep people. Normally at our uni club you get poo poo load of people at the start and people there is a large drop off after christmas and other holidays.

My uni club entirely revolves around the social aspect(i.e drinking). If people make friends in the club, they'll come back. If you even give them the tiniest excuse they will flake out. "It's too far away", "It's too difficult", "I could just go drinking tonight", "It's raining". They will flake out.

Some people may not like being pushed to start with but in their second year, they're probably more likely to want to work hard and be up for a challenge. So a gentle ramping up of difficulty is probably best.

Our uni also has a massive fayre at the beginning of the academic year where we try to get people to join, it's where all our intake basically comes from.

Just responding to this a few pages back, but yeah, I was kidding around - at the time I was in my uni club, we had a ton of members, and then we'd get a ton of new signups every september. We'd joke that we had to run brutal warmups just to make the numbers manageable.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There was also a japanese guy who got eyegouged in a tournament, beat his opponent, went on to beat the hell out of a bunch of other people the same night, then at the end of that night found out he was blind forever in that eye. We were discussing him a few pages back, I think.

Yuki Nakai - the patron saint of Shooto.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

niethan posted:

Ain't noone getting knocked out in karate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FB8hPmsg28

That's what I usually think of as karate. I always forget that most of it's the Kata heavy point-fighting kind.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

NovemberMike posted:

That's what I usually think of as karate. I always forget that most of it's the Kata heavy point-fighting kind.

SO many body shot knockdowns, I love it!

Dirp
May 16, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

Why don't those men punch each other in the face when they're standing a foot away with their hands down. Better yet, why don't they just keep their hands up and not get knocked out by head kicks.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
andy hug had to learn a lot of boxing in order to avoid getting knocked out by lovely kickboxers. giving yourself arthritis through kyokushin "traditional" methods really doesn't pay off.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
A 15 year old who trains in the kids class at my gym did a flying armbar at a NAGA competition in New Jersey

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=240834732623360

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
It's not available for the public :(

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

andy hug had to learn a lot of boxing in order to avoid getting knocked out by lovely kickboxers. giving yourself arthritis through kyokushin "traditional" methods really doesn't pay off.

Strikes to the head scare the gently caress out of me. If there was a striking sport where head strikes were illegal and basically all other MMA rules were allowed I would do that sport. I don't care how unrealistic that would make it or however many 12 year old boxers would murder me I don't want anyone to punch my brain in.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Ligur posted:

It's not available for the public :(

Well poo poo, it's not on mine. Does anyone know how to rip videos from Facebook?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

henkman posted:

Well poo poo, it's not on mine. Does anyone know how to rip videos from Facebook?

It might be private for a reason. You may want to ask first.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Office Sheep posted:

Strikes to the head scare the gently caress out of me. If there was a striking sport where head strikes were illegal and basically all other MMA rules were allowed I would do that sport. I don't care how unrealistic that would make it or however many 12 year old boxers would murder me I don't want anyone to punch my brain in.
That's pretty much exactly what FILA Pankration is, except it's got a huge point sparring influence, so if you don't finish your opponent, be prepared to lose because he punched you in the ribs 300 times while he was mounted. Also, you can get rope breaks by reaching outside the ring and I think by touching your opponent's face (I think you get like a point deduction for doing that, but you get a free pass out of the armbar). Most of the time it's pretty much MMA-Lite, but every now and again you get some guy who's really good at exploiting the rules and you can't really do anything about it.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Death Bucket posted:

That's pretty much exactly what FILA Pankration is, except it's got a huge point sparring influence, so if you don't finish your opponent, be prepared to lose because he punched you in the ribs 300 times while he was mounted. Also, you can get rope breaks by reaching outside the ring and I think by touching your opponent's face (I think you get like a point deduction for doing that, but you get a free pass out of the armbar). Most of the time it's pretty much MMA-Lite, but every now and again you get some guy who's really good at exploiting the rules and you can't really do anything about it.

That's perfect. If only there was some local scene for that. I'll have to ask at some local gyms.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Dirp posted:

Why don't those men punch each other in the face when they're standing a foot away with their hands down. Better yet, why don't they just keep their hands up and not get knocked out by head kicks.

It's been a while since I've trained with any Kyokushin folks...

I seem to recall that competitively Kyokushin guys can't punch the face/head. (Kicking is ok)

As to why they block low. With the rules the way they are, punching for the most part turns into a slug fest aiming at the ribs and solar plexus.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread before.

To anyone interested in capoeira, ask away and I will answer any questions you have.

I'm a Brazilian located in Rio de Janeiro. I've been practicing capoeira for about five years now and I've always taken a lot of interest in the theoretical aspect of the martial art, from its history to its philosophy and mindset.

If people want me to do a writeup on it, I can, too.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Dirp posted:

Because they are bare handed? I remember reading a bare knuckle boxing account from the 1800s that described using your forehead to block because it would injure them more than you. Punching hard stuff with bare hands is a bad idea.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Cyphoderus posted:

To anyone interested in capoeira, ask away and I will answer any questions you have.

I'm a Brazilian located in Rio de Janeiro. I've been practicing capoeira for about five years now and I've always taken a lot of interest in the theoretical aspect of the martial art, from its history to its philosophy and mindset.

Well what kind of conditioning, if any, do you do outside of practice? Also how does a general training session run?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

NovemberMike posted:

Because they are bare handed? I remember reading a bare knuckle boxing account from the 1800s that described using your forehead to block because it would injure them more than you. Punching hard stuff with bare hands is a bad idea.

I guess there's some of that, but the rules are that only kicks can be aimed at the head (they probably originaly made that rule because bare handed strike to the head are just a stupid idea for both fighters)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Of course, if you were fuckin crazy like Mas Oyama, you would harden your hand into a bone hammer and thus be able to punch and knife hand wherever you needed. Regardless of the no punch to head rule, a good KK should have his guard high enough that he can block head kicks when he needs to. There's a reason those guys are on the receiving end.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i don't see why...you don't block headkicks, you lean back

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NovemberMike posted:

That club is at Iowa State, right? There is a 100% chance that a linebacker will be someone who wasn't good enough for the wrestling team and they will take you down.

A few things to do:

1) The honors program makes the freshman in it do a certain amount of on-campus stuff. Go in to Jischke and talk to them, see if you can get a demo.

2) See if you can get posters in at the dining centers. MWL, Hawthorne, the Hub and the UDCC are the big ones.

3) See if you can get some kind of a demo at veishea and homecoming. IIRC the weightlifting club got a bench and 135 lbs out there and had a contest to see who could lift the most and it helped get people. You'd probably have to have less of an interactive demo (maybe show a basic hip throw, let 100lb girls throw some 230lb guy) but it could work.

Oh, that's at ISU? poo poo, and here I am in Des Moines kind of half-rear end looking for a Judo club. May have to make a trip up at some point once I'm not too broken to think about it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Question on the history. I've heard that the fighting style was essentially developed by slaves, for slaves in that you're supposed to be able to do it effectively while your hands are bound (behind your back if need be) and the reason it looks so dance-y is so that you can dodge well (goes with the hand binding thing) and that the slaves didn't want their masters to figure out that the slaves were learning how to fight.

Any truth to any of that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, that's at ISU? poo poo, and here I am in Des Moines kind of half-rear end looking for a Judo club. May have to make a trip up at some point once I'm not too broken to think about it.

There is a club in Des Moines. Des Moines Judo Academy. It is a much smaller club than the one at ISU though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Cyphoderus posted:

How much percent of a capoeira match/game/fight is collaboration and how much is competition?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

i don't see why...you don't block headkicks, you lean back

There will be situations where you need to block a high kick. If you're not training for it, that's building up an incomplete game.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
many boxers use low guards...doesn't mean they don't know how to block a punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Senor P. posted:

Well what kind of conditioning, if any, do you do outside of practice? Also how does a general training session run?

Essential are lower body and core strength and cardio. Complementary training on that will help you a lot, even though these are the areas that most improve naturally with practice.
Upper body strength training is essential if you plan on doing a certain kind of flourish. Flexibility is great to have, but it's much rarer seeing a capoeirista doing full splits than in a lot of other martial arts.

A typical session (in my group) goes: start with warm-up and stretching. Then we do around 10 minutes of dodging. Dodges are capoeira's most important moves and physically they are equivalent to squats (capoeiristas are the people with the finest asses you'll ever meet). The bulk of the training is spent with technique, working in alternating pairs. Ideally, at the end of training we have a roda - not a proper one, but a training one - with is capoeira's version of sparring.

Instrument lessons and flourish-oriented lessons are different from the standard mold. It's not very often that we skip the dodges, though.

Remember that there's nothing standardized about capoeira, so what you get out of it is different for each group that teaches it.*

quote:

Question on the history. I've heard that the fighting style was essentially developed by slaves, for slaves in that you're supposed to be able to do it effectively while your hands are bound (behind your back if need be) and the reason it looks so dance-y is so that you can dodge well (goes with the hand binding thing) and that the slaves didn't want their masters to figure out that the slaves were learning how to fight.

Any truth to any of that?

The bound hand thing is crap; first off, slaves spent most of the times with their hands free. They were workers and needed those to work! Second, it's true that most groups don't incorporate direct hand strikes in regular training. But ask anyone who fights: even without being allowed to punch or slap, you need those arms for almost everything else.

The second part is true, though: the reason it looks so dance-y is because capoeira's approach to defense can be largely summed up in "don't get hit in the first place". It's also true that historically it was disguised as a dance to fool non-practicians, but at which point in history this tendency began I don't know. I think it could have been anywhere between 1600 and 1800, though I suspect it was more toward the latter.

quote:

How much percent of a capoeira match/game/fight is collaboration and how much is competition?

For now, I can tell you that it is no dance: that is, there's no such thing as leading and following in strict patterns or "steps". A capoeira game (that's the proper term for when you've got capoeiristas playing in a roda) has a bunch of nuances that most other forms of sparring don't, though. You can have a game that's a demonstration of skill and contact is looked down on; you can have a game that revolves around flourishes; you can have a game that allows for contact; you can have a game that will leave only one player standing.

This is, however, the big money question. I will do a big post later on, hopefully tonight, that will clear this all up.

• Locked thread