Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I'm pretty disappointed. No Church is awesome and had my hopes up, but I have no interest in anything with a Beyonce hook so I was a bit "ehhh" after track two. Then N's in Paris hits, which everyone seems to be in love with, but the beat sounds like one of the worst Kraftwerk songs ever. Otis has nowhere near the energy and feeling that a Kanye-sampling-soul-music-with-Jay-Z rapping track would have had a decade or so ago. In all I find the album to be kind of awkward and draggy, with Jay-Z sounding bored and Kanye being pretty annoying. "That's My Bitch" is pretty hot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

the Bunt posted:

I was definitely hoping for more mid-verse interplay between the two like in "Why I Love You". That kind of stuff really gives you the sense that they are in the studio together spitting.

This is really my only complaint. I was really excited for this and some of the early reviews made it sound like it happens a lot but it didn't. Overall though I'm very happy with this album.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

the Bunt posted:

I was definitely hoping for more mid-verse interplay between the two like in "Why I Love You". That kind of stuff really gives you the sense that they are in the studio together spitting.

Especially because IIRC they actually made a point of recording all of their verses together.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I was thinking about Kanye in general lately, and I have this feeling that he's all but lost his religion. He is clearly a pretty troubled and insecure person, and the dark turn his work has taken since his mother's death showcases a different Kanye West. This is not the same person who wrote Jesus Walks. People like to think of all the satanic imagery, and illumaniti crap as some sort of secret code that reveals he is in a secret society. Those people are idiots. It's clearly a man going through a crisis and working it out through his music. I hope he has a very long career. Very few artists are so sincere, especially such popular ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Bunt posted:

I was thinking about Kanye in general lately, and I have this feeling that he's all but lost his religion.

"I made Jesus walk so I'm never goin' to hell" was a line that really stood out on WTT. Make of it what you will.

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica

the Bunt posted:

They don't really have the chemistry for this and it shows.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Anyone who ordered from that http://watchthethrone.shop.musictoday.com/ link get any kind of shipping confirmation yet? The link doesn't actually work anymore so I don't know how to check on such things.

I emailed them a few days ago because I hadn't heard anything, and they said: "Thank you for choosing Musictoday. The expected shipping date for Watch the Throne pre-order is 08/12/11. With Standard delivery, your package will arrive 3-7 business days after the expected shipping date via US Mail."

i like this album

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Otis Video is out

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1668929/otis-video.jhtml

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

Spike Jones has still got it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh god, it's Aziz Ansari

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Oh god, it's Aziz Ansari

Dancing awkwardly at that. Didn't notice him till I watched the vid a second time.

Krysis
Aug 26, 2007

Hex Hates U

YEAH YOU

MoPZiG posted:

goddamn do I love track 12.
Agreed. Besides Otis, Who's Gon Stop Me, and New Day, Why I Love You is a drat good song.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can you order this on vinyl anywhere? Quick google searches don't work and just point to CD sales.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Surprised by the lack of love for That's My Bitch, easily my favourite song on there.

I'm not really getting the love for Niggas in Paris, I like Jay's verse, but Kanye's is fairly weak.

Lift Off is awful and I really doubt I'll listen to it more than a couple times.

Other than that, I really like Why I love You, Gotta Have It, Murder To Excellance and Welcome to the Jungle. I like the call back to one of my favourite Outkast lines.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Why in god's name did Kanye decide to remind us of E.T on Niggas in Paris? That is the most obnoxious and irritating delivery ever. I'm also not feeling his constant "HUH!?" too much anymore xD

sleepyinsomniac
Jun 18, 2004
zzzzz

the Bunt posted:

I was thinking about Kanye in general lately, and I have this feeling that he's all but lost his religion. He is clearly a pretty troubled and insecure person, and the dark turn his work has taken since his mother's death showcases a different Kanye West. This is not the same person who wrote Jesus Walks. People like to think of all the satanic imagery, and illumaniti crap as some sort of secret code that reveals he is in a secret society. Those people are idiots. It's clearly a man going through a crisis and working it out through his music. I hope he has a very long career. Very few artists are so sincere, especially such popular ones.

I couldn't help but notice this during Made in America. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but it's probably the stand-out track on the album for me (funny I know). This song, and Young Forever on Blueprint 3 are more about reflection of success IMO. It gives you a candid view into their younger lives, and is just them looking back on their rise to the top.

What really stands out is the phrase, "We made it in America", as if they're truly on top of the game. Not only are they standouts with what they do, but they're some of the most popular figures in their country, which happens to be America, the place where people go to chase their dreams (or that's how the legend goes anyway).

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So there's at least *something* about this album--it's the main thing I've felt like listening to since release. Or, at least 5 or 6 songs from it are.

Weird, though: sure, it sounds more like a Kanye album, but I think Jay is probably the better lyricist on it. I guess that's not a surprise for many, but I generally liked Kanye's lyrical style better on previous albums than Jay's.

Also I love that whenever Jay-Z releases an album or features on a single I can count on hearing it blasting out of parked cars with the doors open. Kinda fun, actually.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
So my opinion of this album improved a slight bit after blasting it during an hour-long drive to see if I'd get more enjoyment out of it as driving music; I did.

Still not a great album but yknow.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ghostface describes how I feel about Made In America

Ghostface Killah posted:

First of all son….Lionel Richie called from 1986 n said he wants his song back yo. Word. Sade jus holla’d on twitter to say this poo poo is soft as gently caress namsayin. I think Elton John wants to conceive babies to this joint b. Drake said he gon soak in his lotion pool to this poo poo rite here for like a week son. I think Wiz Khagina is scissorin wit Amber Rose to this poo poo rite now as we speak yo. I heard this poo poo gon be used for the next Gwyneth Paltrow movie too. I dont kno how the same nigga that did Who Gon Stop Me had anything to do wit this poo poo but apparently he did nahmean. This poo poo sounds like two niggas hang glidin over the ocean together at sunset holdin hands son. I think this is bout to be on Yung Berg’s yoga playlist. I cant gently caress wit this poo poo at all b. This poo poo is like audio lesbian comin out my speakers son.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

haterade posted:

I emailed them a few days ago because I hadn't heard anything, and they said: "Thank you for choosing Musictoday. The expected shipping date for Watch the Throne pre-order is 08/12/11. With Standard delivery, your package will arrive 3-7 business days after the expected shipping date via US Mail."

i like this album

I just got my physical copy in the mail today. I wish it had metal casing but overall it still looks awesome and comes with a mini-poster/art fold out. Interesting note too, the cd part is black like old playstation 1 games.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

bows1 posted:

Oh God... I didn't realize I had the capacity to love Ghostface even more than I already did, but then he says some poo poo like this.

edit: Apparently it's not the real Ghostface, it's a guy named "Big Ghost" from a parody blog. No less funny though.

Shovelbearer fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 13, 2011

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

bows1 posted:

That isn't actually from Ghostface's blog. Ghostface has had the blog shut down in the past, but it seems to come up again attempting to use spelling variations of Ghostface (Ghostfase), Pretty Toney (P-Tone) etc. Funny stuff, I really enjoy the writing.

That being said, I really enjoy the album - the entire thing. It feels a lot darker than anything else Kanye's done - and I'm still trying to figure it all out. It also really just sounds like every track is Kanye West feat. Jay-Z.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Made in America is probably my favorite track, regardless of how lesbian it is to fake Ghostface!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Made in America is a nice companion piece to Who Will Survive in America?

OutdoorMiner
Nov 7, 2009

Fake Ghostface Killah posted:

First of all son….Lionel Richie called from 1986 n said he wants his song back yo

Gotta admit, it does remind me an awful lot of Nightshift. Still enjoyable, but it feels kind of out of step with the rest of the album.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
I've been playing this quite regularly and it's really growing on me the same way MBDTF did. It does feel like a Kanye album through and through, but definitely not an album like he would've made two-three years ago. It's an incredibly cynical piece of work and is pretty much a natural progression from College Dropout through Late Registration, 808s and MBDTF - there's something so hollow about the excessive hedonism, the "get money gently caress hos" attitude that's really prominent, especially in Ye's verses. I actually like Kanye's verses more because there's more consistency to it - Jay gets some of the best lines ("What's fifty thousand to a motherfucker like me can you please remind me?") but some of it's a bit asinine (the "why all the pretty icons always white" verse in That's My Bitch really sets me off the song a bit) and it doesn't exactly gel well with the album's wholehearted embrace of the materialist race to the bottom.

As to tracks, That's My Bitch was an early favourite (that Q-Tip beat kills), but No Church in the Wild and Niggas in Paris have come out as the tracks I just can't stop listening to. Also love Gotta Have It, if only for its opening line.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

a milk crime posted:

That isn't actually from Ghostface's blog. Ghostface has had the blog shut down in the past, but it seems to come up again attempting to use spelling variations of Ghostface (Ghostfase), Pretty Toney (P-Tone) etc. Funny stuff, I really enjoy the writing.

Still one of the greatest reviews I've ever read.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Just got an email from Apple, giving me a credit to buy Otis. Looks like they're making it up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Still kind of underwhelmed by the whole album but this past week ensured that Niggas in Paris and That's my Bitch are staples of my party playlist right now. Can't get enough of them.

Pigeon Shamus posted:

I've been playing this quite regularly and it's really growing on me the same way MBDTF did. It does feel like a Kanye album through and through, but definitely not an album like he would've made two-three years ago. It's an incredibly cynical piece of work and is pretty much a natural progression from College Dropout through Late Registration, 808s and MBDTF - there's something so hollow about the excessive hedonism, the "get money gently caress hos" attitude that's really prominent, especially in Ye's verses. I actually like Kanye's verses more because there's more consistency to it - Jay gets some of the best lines ("What's fifty thousand to a motherfucker like me can you please remind me?") but some of it's a bit asinine (the "why all the pretty icons always white" verse in That's My Bitch really sets me off the song a bit) and it doesn't exactly gel well with the album's wholehearted embrace of the materialist race to the bottom.

I actually really dislike alot of Kanye's verses for this reason, I feel like he's more at home in the abstract and soulful stuff and when he raps about the material ("get money gently caress hos") it sounds empty, like he's trying to do jay's style but it's not natural to him. It feels like he's TRYING instead of really feeling it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Watch the Throne still hasn't grown on me. Its painful to hear Jay and Kanye be socially conscious. Kanye won't commit to one sound and ops to make generalized music sort of like Michael Jackson. But WTT doesn't work for me and I doubt it reaches across borders. I think it really appeals to critics and hipsters while being shunned or ignored by everyone else. Its like privileged rap that only millionaires or wannabes can enjoy. I can't relate to much of the content, it comes off as forced, and the music tries to blend stuff I like separate.

I do like Primetime because its a conventional beat with 2 solid verses. They aren't trying to challenge me and it shows Jay and Kanye at their best. If the whole album was like Primetime, this would have been something worth the praise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm the opposite - Made In America and the bonus tracks excluded, this album gets better for me with every listen. What you see as "generalized" I just see as versatile, and most of the time it's just a really fun record to put on. The idea that it could only be enjoyed by critics or those damned hipsters is seriously funny to me

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Illest Motherfucker Alive and Murder to Excellence are pretty much the only tracks off this I still listen to...and one's a bonus track!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This album has grown on me a lot, I like it a lot more now than my first few listens. I honestly think that the braggadocio isn't intended to be taken seriously - at least Kanye is aware of how ridiculous it all sounds but goes with it because it's fun.

I'm still not a huge fan of Lift Off, I think it's the only weak track on the album. Of the bonus tracks, Illest Motherfucker Alive and HAM are both fun, but I usually skip over the other two.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bown posted:

I'm the opposite - Made In America and the bonus tracks excluded, this album gets better for me with every listen. What you see as "generalized" I just see as versatile, and most of the time it's just a really fun record to put on. The idea that it could only be enjoyed by critics or those damned hipsters is seriously funny to me
I'm not taking a swipe at critics or hipsters, it's that they are the same demographic with very recognizable tastes. WTT sounds pandering to them. I can't nod to this album and doubt many critics or hipsters give a poo poo about that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

As an indication, I'm still listening to MBDTF regularly nearly a year later. WTT barely gets a listen...what, a month later?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
I can nod to this album. Nod off.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
To sleep.

ACauseToLead
Apr 7, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

As an indication, I'm still listening to MBDTF regularly nearly a year later. WTT barely gets a listen...what, a month later?

As well, I remember listening to Power for a year straight without it getting the slightest bit old, but I'll skip Otis if I hear it on the radio; it feels so overplayed.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
I think watch the throne is what America needs/wants/fiends for at this time. Bumpin "Otis" all day today; feeling hella nationalistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

webmeister posted:

This album has grown on me a lot, I like it a lot more now than my first few listens. I honestly think that the braggadocio isn't intended to be taken seriously - at least Kanye is aware of how ridiculous it all sounds but goes with it because it's fun.

Understanding this is pretty much essential to enjoying Kanye, yeah.

• Locked thread