Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

einTier posted:

Yeah, it's available in more sets than you'd think. Bunches available for sale too.

Thanks for the link, hopefully lego realise their mistake and give the fig small legs though. If not, it looks like it'll be easy to fix.

Anyone remember this?

If Pirates of the Caribbean can jump ship (:rimshot:)... sigh.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot
My Unimog came on Saturday. It has 5 books. I got through the first 1.5books yesterday, it is pretty complex and large. Too big to take with me on my buisness trip this week to finish, guess I will have to wait till next weekend. Once I get it build I want to figure out how to remote control it with the PF stuff.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

InfinEight posted:

You can use Brickset to keep track of all the sets you have, and then Bricklink can part the sets out and tell you what pieces are in those sets. However I don't think there's any system that lets you catalog just what pieces you have, and then cross-reference those pieces to see what sets you can make.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like Peeron does have that ability, actually. I've just never bothered to look into it! :downsgun:

I saw someone mention Basebrick.com on Eurobricks so I've started to try it out, as I just got my childhood sets (and bought one new one) after not touching Lego for over a decade. It seems a bit clunky but does the job. You can enter which sets and loose bricks you have. Then you can go to a set you don't own and click "Can I build this?" and it'll take you to a page detailing every piece and if you have them loose, in sets, the right or wrong colour, and so on. I don't think it can give you a list of models you can make though, you have to check each model yourself. Unless I missed that.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Lizard Combatant posted:

If Pirates of the Caribbean can jump ship (:rimshot:)... sigh.

Really? The series jumped the shark at Lego toys, and not because of a fourth movie where two of the three stars are no longer there?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Revol posted:

Really? The series jumped the shark at Lego toys, and not because of a fourth movie where two of the three stars are no longer there?

"Jump ship" as in, Lego should buy the TNG license and make whopping huge Enterprises and tiny yellow Picards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Revol posted:

What exactly are you saying here?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I think he's saying that Pirates jumped the shark with a fourth movie that only featured one of its original stars.

I went on a spending binge and have about $900 of lego coming in various forms. Now I have to figure out how I want to sort & organize it, and then actually do it. :negative:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

:aaaaa:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Never got why the skeletons build their vehicles from bone, too.
It'd be like a man with a meat car.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

mhsneon posted:

My Unimog came on Saturday. It has 5 books. I got through the first 1.5books yesterday, it is pretty complex and large. Too big to take with me on my buisness trip this week to finish, guess I will have to wait till next weekend. Once I get it build I want to figure out how to remote control it with the PF stuff.

Wow, I had no idea this set was coming down the pipes. Hoooly poo poo, that looks fun. When you finish, can you post impressions of the claw? I remember the Airtech Claw Rig was a huge letdown because the claw had almost no grasping power or friction to hold anything..you could feed it beams, but not much else.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Flavor Bear posted:

Never got why the skeletons build their vehicles from bone, too.
It'd be like a man with a meat car.

I don't think you fully understand the mysteries of spinjitzu

CayTeo
Oct 14, 2004

I don't want to set the world on fire

Lizard Combatant posted:

I used a bunch of these to put an opening roof on a manor house I made a few months ago. It worked "ok," but the majority of my Lego comes from an apple box-full that my mom found at a yard sale in 1992. Pretty much all of my stock is from the old castle sets, so my variety of hinges is limited.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Torael_7 posted:

I think he's saying that Pirates jumped the shark with a fourth movie that only featured one of its original stars.
But Legolas and whatever her name was were the worst parts of the first three. How could they have made a movie worse by removing them?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Our newfound LEGO addiction must be fed! Today I splerged on series 3, 4 and 5 minifigs, five of each:

They were cheaper than I thought at 20 NOK each (USD $3.60). We got a couple of duplicates but that's OK.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Saint Sputnik posted:

Yeah you get this free with a $30+ purchase

Also found this while looking up the skelecopter:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Captain Invictus posted:

Torael_7 posted:

But Legolas and whatever her name was were the worst parts of the first three. How could they have made a movie worse by removing them?

Also, how is Geoffrey Rush not a star?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah you get this free with a $30+ purchase

Also found this while looking up the skelecopter:

:stare: Is that an upcoming kit or an OC?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What's all this jibber-jabber about shark jumping*?! I was talking about licensing.

*I know what the term means

Edit:

Saint Sputnik posted:

"Jump ship" as in, Lego should buy the TNG license and make whopping huge Enterprises and tiny yellow Picards.

Thankyou!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 11, 2011

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Picked up the Alien Tripod and Blacksmith Attack today.
Before I entered the store I said, "If they have that windmill set I am loving buying it," but they didn't, luckily for my wallet.

I can see what all the rage is about on that tripod walker. Bitchin' design, bunches of useful parts and that groovy little brain leech.

Blacksmith Attack not so fantastic, all the minifigs and weapons take up a good chunk of the piece count.

Flavor Bear fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 11, 2011

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Well... overcame my OCD and ordered some Minifig World display stands today.
I've been looking around and it really does seem to be the classiest way to display all the minifigures this stupid thread has made me buy (expecting Batman tomorrow!).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Should've held out on Batman, they're among the most overpriced legos on the planet right now and they're getting a new line next year.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Travis343 posted:

Should've held out on Batman, they're among the most overpriced legos on the planet right now and they're getting a new line next year.

:aaa:

Oh well, I did pretty well on all the others.

Are there any pictures floating around of the new sets or is it just an announcement at this stage?

Awww man... and it's gonna be the black suit from the Nolan films too. Maybe I'll gift my current one to a nutty Batman friend of mine when it's out.
Was super pleased with the Cpt. Sparrow (w/tricorn) I got today.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 11, 2011

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My 10 year old daughter had a sleepover and LEGO party last week where she and all her friends watched Soul Surfer and then proceeded to re-enact the movie with LEGO shark, surfer girl, and a missing arm.

And yet LEGO thinks girls want pink bricks and figures without interchangeable body parts. Girls want to accessorize!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I always hated girlie Lego. I think when I was nine one of my relatives heard I liked Lego and bought me some girly set, I can't remember what. I returned it and used the refund to buy more Castle stuff. All the stuff that Lego has made to try and win over girls has always been laughably bad. If they really want to sell more to girls, all they need to do is include more female minifigs in the regular sets. I know I always went out of my way to get castle sets with princesses in them (even though they were lame), and when Pirates first came out I about flipped my lid at the girl pirate.

My daughters are 8 and 5 now, just moving into prime Lego age. They just bought their first sets the other day, as I wanted something to keep them occupied while we were at the mechanic. The oldest is following the castle theme of all my hand me down Lego and picked out the Blacksmith Attack set. My youngest bucked the castle trend though, and wanted the Pharaoh's Quest Golden Staff Guardians. Her reasoning? "Cause it has a motorcycle and mummies and the man has dynamite". That's my girl.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I have my work cut out for me. :stare: There's another box the size of the one on the couch coming, too.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Marchegiana posted:

My youngest bucked the castle trend though, and wanted the Pharaoh's Quest Golden Staff Guardians. Her reasoning? "Cause it has a motorcycle and mummies and the man has dynamite". That's my girl.

Hi-five, that was my reason for getting that set too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That link to the Terra Cotta LEGO men got me wondering who out there is making custom pieces. I know Brickarms and Brickforge, but are there any others?

Marchegiana posted:

I always hated girlie Lego. I think when I was nine one of my relatives heard I liked Lego and bought me some girly set, I can't remember what. I returned it and used the refund to buy more Castle stuff. All the stuff that Lego has made to try and win over girls has always been laughably bad. If they really want to sell more to girls, all they need to do is include more female minifigs in the regular sets. I know I always went out of my way to get castle sets with princesses in them (even though they were lame), and when Pirates first came out I about flipped my lid at the girl pirate.

Speaking of pirates, I got my girls two small Pirates of the Caribbean sets. You know the ones that are just excuses to get 4 mini-figs. And what was my oldest the most excited about? Elizabeth Swan's hair. It's all about the hair.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

To be fair that is a really nice hair-piece. I wish they'd make it in more colors.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Krispy Kareem posted:

That link to the Terra Cotta LEGO men got me wondering who out there is making custom pieces. I know Brickarms and Brickforge, but are there any others?
Firestar Toys have a couple of hairpieces that aren't Brickforge, I don't know who they're actually made by but they're very good (and way overpriced like all Firestar Toys stuff). Other than that, there's Sidan who make figures with compatible accessories, and all the 3rd party brands which sometimes have good accessories, but I can't think of anyone else only making custom parts.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
In preparation for the custom Technic Super Car project I want to undertake, I went and built Sariel's Compact pendular steered suspension.

It's pretty ingenious. On the one axle on the top, you turn the gear at the top to drive the wheels, and you turn the gear at the bottom to steer it. Pretty cool! But I mounted this onto a plate with my large motor, and something weird was happening; the right wheel was driving a lot faster than the left.

It looks like it was due to the differential piece that is in the center of the unit. Why in the world did he design it with this? Sariel is like, the Technic AFOL guy in the entire loving world (he even posts on a blog on Lego's official Technic site), so he must know what he's doing. But I built it right; one axle doesn't spin as well out of the differential as the other.

So, I just took out the differential and simply replaced it with a regular gear. The system seems to drive both wheels at the same speed now. So, whatevs.

When I said I was preparing to build a super car.. I have no idea for the design yet.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Revol posted:

It looks like it was due to the differential piece that is in the center of the unit. Why in the world did he design it with this? Sariel is like, the Technic AFOL guy in the entire loving world (he even posts on a blog on Lego's official Technic site), so he must know what he's doing. But I built it right; one axle doesn't spin as well out of the differential as the other.

So, I just took out the differential and simply replaced it with a regular gear. The system seems to drive both wheels at the same speed now. So, whatevs.

When I said I was preparing to build a super car.. I have no idea for the design yet.
You're looking at an inherent problem with open (non-limited slip) differentials.

If any wheel has less traction than the other, it will receive all or most of the power. In this case, where both tires have no traction, one wheel is easier to spin than the other, so it gets more power. Put it on the ground where both wheels get traction and you'll find it'll still move straight forward.

You will have problems with this if you expect it to go around corners. You need a differential to account for the differential in speed between the inside and outside wheel in a turn.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Preface: I haven't so much as touched lego aside from a few small sets in years. So, sorting all of this - I started with some of the modern star wars sets - is giving me a trip down "Why didn't they have things like this when I was a kid" lane. :v:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That steering mechanism looks great, except for one thing. It looks like the drive gear and the steering gear are on the same axle. How does that work?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
einTier, so if I actually have the two wheels placed on the ground and they have the weight of a build on it, they're going to drive at similar speeds?

Fayez Butts posted:

That steering mechanism looks great, except for one thing. It looks like the drive gear and the steering gear are on the same axle. How does that work?

The steering gear only sits on the axle, but it doesn't turn with it. That's thanks to the specific gear used here. The hole in this gear is simply a round hole, it's not fitted to an axle. This allows the gear to turn independently of the axle.

So, to drive the wheels, you can either drive the gear at the top, or you can simply drive the axle itself. (Driving the axle directly from a motor is not suggested, because as this stands now, it drives VERY slowly. I've had to gear it up myself to get it to turn at a decent rate.)

To steer, your only option is to have to drive that special gear.

Like I said, Sariel is the best Technic builder around. His blog is a must-read for any Lego fan. Here is an image collage of almost all his builds so far (he's made about 3-4 more after this):

He's done poo poo like a functioning human arm, and made builds so complex that they use up to 17 Lego motors. And yes, his last build on there is a Portal sentry turret that fires when it sees you. It also talks with sound bytes from the games.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Revol posted:

einTier, so if I actually have the two wheels placed on the ground and they have the weight of a build on it, they're going to drive at similar speeds?
Yes. It will work as advertised. Open differentials just do weird things in low traction situations or where traction differs from one wheel or the other.

If you hold one wheel while under power, you'll find you don't need much force to hold it still while the other wheel will spin freely. It doesn't matter which wheel, either. But if you try to hold both wheels simultaneously, you'll feel the full force of the motor and you'll feel it through both wheels in relatively equal amounts.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Revol posted:

The steering gear only sits on the axle, but it doesn't turn with it. That's thanks to the specific gear used here. The hole in this gear is simply a round hole, it's not fitted to an axle. This allows the gear to turn independently of the axle.

So, to drive the wheels, you can either drive the gear at the top, or you can simply drive the axle itself. (Driving the axle directly from a motor is not suggested, because as this stands now, it drives VERY slowly. I've had to gear it up myself to get it to turn at a decent rate.)

To steer, your only option is to have to drive that special gear.

Like I said, Sariel is the best Technic builder around. His blog is a must-read for any Lego fan. Here is an image collage of almost all his builds so far (he's made about 3-4 more after this):

He's done poo poo like a functioning human arm, and made builds so complex that they use up to 17 Lego motors. And yes, his last build on there is a Portal sentry turret that fires when it sees you. It also talks with sound bytes from the games.

This guy is going to build an Autobot someday.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Took some family who came into town down to Dallas to hit the museums and get some dinner this weekend. Haven't been to the Lego store down there yet, it was not nearly as big and impressive as the one I went to in Orlando Florida near Disney. Though on the bright side they did have S3 and 4 minifigs for $2.99 a pop but no S5 yet those are due out in Sept according to the manager there. I got myself the baseball player, the alien, mummy and the coolest one of all the cyborg, also picked a random S4 and nabbed the painter who is pretty cool. I happen to have a extra S3 fisherman if anybody wants to trade for something.

Also went to the Nature Museum and they had a pretty nice sized Lego display with pictures to follow. Most of the buildings are designed after stuff in the downtown Dallas area/skyline.

Neat little Light Saber looking model with impressive LED lights too.

The note card said this model weighted in at over 400lbs.

This looks like a old church or something.

and this is what is happening in the bell tower area

Train Station

Skyscraper

Downtown park view

and little stuff happening in the park

Rythe fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 14, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Flavor Bear posted:

Blacksmith Attack not so fantastic, all the minifigs and weapons take up a good chunk of the piece count.

What I don't get is who would attack a blacksmith? Alternatively, why would a blacksmith attack someone?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
LEGO Shop exclusive set: 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van. 1332 pieces for $100 dollars, coming out October.

There are high-resolution Flickr photos. Looks pretty cool, the interior is really detailed. I see a few new pieces, beginning with the VW emblem on the front, which can't be a sticker because the logo is raised a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

LEGO Shop exclusive set: 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van. 1332 pieces for $100 dollars, coming out October.

There are high-resolution Flickr photos. Looks pretty cool, the interior is really detailed. I see a few new pieces, beginning with the VW emblem on the front, which can't be a sticker because the logo is raised a bit.

Well, I know what I'm asking for this Christmas.