Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bango skank posted:

"I thought there were like 30 languages." -Joe Rogan

When did he say that? When did he say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

UltraRed posted:

When did he say that? When did he say that?

Latest podcast.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

jyrka posted:

Latest podcast.

Hahahahaha ugggghhhh... God, Joe is such a meathead.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

To Battle posted:

Figured this would be an appropriate place to put this.

The Official Site
Facebook Page

AN APP WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ALL SMARTPHONES SOON

John Ollie, Affion Crockett brother is going to be on tonight. He will be talking about his new show premiering on FOX tonight, so you can tune in live and call in as well.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 14, 2011

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Flying-Chip posted:

The Earwolf Challenge is probably the dullest podcast I've ever listened to. A lovely concept with an apathetic host who makes me want to kill myself.

On the other hand, The Podcast Eating contest never fails to make me cry laughing.

Whoa! Are you me!?

In the past couple of days I tried to get through The Earwolf Challenge and it was the most dull, laborious, hypocritical thing I've heard. I like Matt Besser and all, but he seems super bored and says the stupidest poo poo regarding the shows. I don't blame him, because what the gently caress does he know about a podcast? Pardo was at least honest and genuine and tried to keep it funny. It's a bummer because I think the "Earwolf Empire" is getting a bit full of themselves. I blame Jeff.

Meanwhile, shows like The Podcast Eating Contest are just doing whatever they want regardless of who likes it or not, which is how it should be done, instead of trying to shoehorn your show into a format that Earwolf deems acceptable.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So The Todd Glass Show released today...it's very uhh Todd Glass...honestly that is the only way I can describe it.

If you like him you will probably like the podcast even though it's pretty obvious they ran way longer than they should have.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bango skank posted:

"I thought there were like 30 languages." -Joe Rogan

This is why I listen, they learn as 40 year olds what I learned when I was 12 years old. I can't hate him for being so dumb though, it's just funny listening to him and his friends talk about the simplest ideas as though nobody ever considered them.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I feel like the Earwolf Challenge is like American Idol except the judges only got to hear ten seconds of each song but "you could completely decide which 10 seconds" so they can judge them super-harshly. Jeff went off in the earwolf forums that it's ridiculous to expect the judges to listen to all the podcasts, but honestly, that means that the challenge is a loving stupid idea.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Jeff went off in the earwolf forums that it's ridiculous to expect the judges to listen to all the podcasts, but honestly, that means that the challenge is a loving stupid idea.

I don't frequent the Earwolf forums, but if I did I'd be tempted to respond "Well if it's ridiculous to expect them to listen to the podcasts then it's ridiculous to expect anyone to listen to your loving show, jerk!"

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Podcasts seem closer to late night talk shows then anything else - it's about the personalities more than the jokes, and they grow on you over time. So listening to short clips of podcasts is not at all satisfying. And maybe it was just the episode I listened to, but the condescension was really hard to take.

GaryOak
Mar 1, 2011

"The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes."
Can any kindly soul spare a passing piece of advice for a novice such as myself and tell me some good British or Australian comedic podcasts?

Edit: Canada is okay too

GaryOak fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 14, 2011

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

GaryOak posted:

Can any kindly soul spare a passing piece of advice for a novice such as myself and tell me some good British or Australian comedic podcasts?

The Ricky Gervais Show is necessary listening for any podcast fan

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Adam and Joe if the BBC still has them up, The Bugle if you don't mind news in your comedy, and, uh... that's it.
e: oh, and Collings and Herrin before they had their falling out, Herring's solo podcast As It Occurs to Me is... interesting. Worth a punt anyway (it's free). You could try Robin Ince's Utter Shambles (with Josie Long), but it made me want to strangle them both.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 14, 2011

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

GaryOak posted:

TOFOP with Will Anderson and Charlie Clausen is really good (Australian). Kind of similar to Walking the Room but a bit more upbeat and less blue. (But if you have listened to Walking the Room you probably already checked out TOFOP).

GaryOak
Mar 1, 2011

"The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes."

Riptor posted:

Thanks pal, I'm trying this now. I love Ricky Gervais, didn't even know he had a podcast.

How about some ones that are running currently/are currently on the air? I subscribe to a couple of video-game ones; I find the yogpod with Simon & Lewis to be particularly funny at times.

"I am dave!yognaught, and I have the balls."

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Riptor posted:

Tom Scharpling would have something to say about that

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

HaterBaby posted:

I like Best Show plenty but Tom definitely has some dumb opinions, much like anyone else in the world.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

HaterBaby posted:

Ooooh what did he say?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Something like the only good thing Ricky Gervais has ever done was the first season of The Office and everything else is terrible.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

jyrka posted:

Ooooh what did he say?

He called the podcast awful, lazy, and mean and he said that Gervais had only done one good thing, which was The Office. Also that he's obsessed with his own atheism and acts like he invented it, which is very true. I suspect sometimes that Stephen Merchant is the real brains behind that whole operation.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Who listens to the Ricky Gervais show for Ricky Gervais?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I can't listen to Ricky Gervais' audio stuff because his laugh blows out my ears. Its so loving loud.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Who listens to the Ricky Gervais show for Ricky Gervais?

I heard Gervais once described as "rapidly becoming Bernard Manning but without the rudimentary gag telling ability", which seems entirely fair to me. I find The Office is good, however much of his other stuff seems entirely mean spirited or self indulgent. In terms of the other people he works with, I agree that Merchant seems to be the one that's driving everything, and that Karl Pilkington is almost certainly a character that Merchant and Gervais created off the back of the real Karl's personality. I honestly can't believe that that guy's real.

Going back to the British/Aussie podcast request - if you like videogames you should probably give One Life Left a try - it is ostensibly about games but frequently drifts off into utter chaos and the three hosts mocking each other.

Also, the Peacock and Gamble Podcast is childishness of the absolute best kind. I've just tried three times to write something here about some of the content but it all sounds like something a couple of 14 year olds would say, which is sort of the reason it's great. It's two good friends who happen to be comedians talking poo poo for half an hour.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Karl Pilkington is almost certainly a character that Merchant and Gervais created off the back of the real Karl's personality. I honestly can't believe that that guy's real.

It's probably more than Karl is smart enough to play up what works. Listen to the XFM shows from 2001-2002. He's real. And it's like what they've said in the past: they spent months writing a single episode of The Office, how owuld they be able to come up with an hour of Karl every week? And if so, why would they waste it on a radio show?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

nemoulette posted:

It's probably more than Karl is smart enough to play up what works. Listen to the XFM shows from 2001-2002. He's real. And it's like what they've said in the past: they spent months writing a single episode of The Office, how owuld they be able to come up with an hour of Karl every week? And if so, why would they waste it on a radio show?

I honestly don't think it's fair to compare a single episode of The Office to anything that comes out of Pilkington's mouth. I dislike Gervais a lot, but The Office is a well written and genuinely funny piece of work, I can understand it taking an age to write. I don't think you can say that of Pilkington's nonsense.

I know I'm in a minority here, so I won't keep going on.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

GaryOak posted:

I like Answer Me This, they're British and answer questions people email and phone in. The questions are about anything and everything.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah if you like the podcast, check out their XFM show which is what the podcast is 'based on.' Karl has been 'acting' for a long time now, including the podcasts. He's a 'real person' on the old radio shows though. They just decided to retell and then sell the stories on the podcast.

And The Office is of course the best thing Ricky has ever done. And Steve is brilliant. And Ricky is annoying with atheist/shock comedian shtick.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

GaryOak posted:

The Bugle with Andy Zaltzman and John Oliver (even though they have one of the worst webpages ever, the better Bugler page is, of course, fuckyouchris.com)
Answer Me This with Helen and Olly, who did a thing last summer answering questions about Britain, such as where can one find the best tea

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

CommunistMojo posted:

So The Todd Glass Show released today...it's very uhh Todd Glass...honestly that is the only way I can describe it.

If you like him you will probably like the podcast even though it's pretty obvious they ran way longer than they should have.

Does he talk about Suburu, at all?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I honestly don't think it's fair to compare a single episode of The Office to anything that comes out of Pilkington's mouth. I dislike Gervais a lot, but The Office is a well written and genuinely funny piece of work, I can understand it taking an age to write. I don't think you can say that of Pilkington's nonsense.

I know I'm in a minority here, so I won't keep going on.
I personally think Karl (or rather, their interactions with him) is by far the duo/trio's greatest work. I don't mind Gervais too much (even if he is vastly overrated and a pretty lousy stand-up), but really: there is no way in hell that Karl is a creation of Merchant's and his. At all.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
For the Commonwealth podcast suggestion, I'll once again point to The Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean from Canada, son of Australian immigrants. It's a proper CBC radio show taped in front of a live audience, and there's music and other odds and ends, but I really enjoy it. There's typically a 10-15 minute long story based around a fictional family in Canada. Sometimes funny, sometimes touching, sometimes you'll break down in tears (the one about the guy who died in WWI always gets me). And it can even be painfully hilarious, like when Dave has to cook the turkey.

Last time I mentioned this one of our dear neighbors to the north stated his utter hatred of the show, so your mileage may vary.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

OGB posted:

Subaru

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

jyrka posted:

And The Office is of course the best thing Ricky has ever done.

Has nobody seen Extras? To me it's way superior.

Leechboy
Aug 6, 2008

GaryOak posted:

It's been 4 years since the show was cancelled, but Get This is/was the pinnacle of Australian Podcast/Radio.

The unofficial home is here

Worth starting from the beginning, as the show snowballs as it goes along into a cornucopia of in-jokes.

A quick sample

Slim Shady Snr.
Jack Johnson does movie theme songs

and even when things go bad -
Donkey Courtroom

Leechboy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 15, 2011

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

OGB posted:

Oddly I don't remember one reference to Suburu.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

dancehall posted:

Has nobody seen Extras? To me it's way superior.

I agree 100%. It might just be because Office UK was hyped to the loving moon and back before I ever got around to seeing it, but I think it's way funnier.

Tom Scharpling's terrible opinions are at least very entertaining. That's not a skill a lot of people really possess.

your heart
Oct 24, 2010

beating right next to me
Ricky Gervais podcast/XFM shows can swing from funny to mean in an episode. Sometimes they are comedic gold, other times it's just Ricky being a massive bullying dick to Karl.

That being said, when it's good, it's one of the few podcasts that can actually have me laughing out loud. Then again, I think Ricky's squealing laugh is pretty infectious so that might have something to do with it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you're not a fan of eating and digesting noises on podcasts, you may want to give this week's CBB with Eddie Pepitone a pass :gonk:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I have been going through some old episodes of UYD and found this amazing story that Jonathan told in episode 110 and I had to upload it to youtube.

UYD - My Life as a Rastafarian Prophet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.
Paul F Tompkins just posted this on facebook and I thought it was amazing.

• Locked thread