Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Supreme Court posted:

The LAW can solve any problem.

They fought the LAW and the LAW won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I find I blow myself up with the LAW about as often as I blow other people up with the LAW.

I did find one use for the LAW though in Paris though, I was temporarily out of GEP rockets and used the LAW in the basement of the Paris house as a mega-lockpick on the catacombs entrance. :shobon:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I once shot Louis Pan in the face with a LAW.

It was the best.
I played specializing in pistols and explosives. LAMs were precious, so I used LAWs to take out mechs when I found them.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
The LAW is clearly the best way to deal with Gunther in the cathedral. With careful aim you can kill him from about two rooms away. Also hilarious in Vandenburg with maxed out leg augs and heavy weapons skill - it becomes less of a stealth level and more of an artillery simulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaubVlhNK4

Mousepractice fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 12, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Mousepractice posted:

The LAW is clearly the best way to deal with Gunther in the cathedral. With careful aim you can kill him from about two rooms away. Also hilarious in Vandenburg with maxed out leg augs and heavy weapons skill - it becomes less of a stealth level and more of an artillery simulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaubVlhNK4

I was hoping that video would be of JC jumping around Vandenberg like a giant mecha-jackrabbit that spews rockets. I was disappointed. :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I have a question about Liberty Island.

I found a sunken barge nearby where Harley Fiben or whatever he's called is. I broke into it, but can't find a way back up. Do I have to swim around the island or something?

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I have a question about Liberty Island.

I found a sunken barge nearby where Harley Fiben or whatever he's called is. I broke into it, but can't find a way back up. Do I have to swim around the island or something?

Should be an ramp out of the water right above the barge. It'll have bars around it but you can crouch under them.

vvv Just look straight up when coming out of the water near that ramp and you should just jump on to it vvv

Col. Roy Campbell fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 12, 2011

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
^^^^ Yeah, that worked. Thanks!

A new question, though. Can you screw yourself by taking really, really bad augs? Like, is Microfibal Muscle absolutely worthless compared to Combat Strength? (Though I'd imagine the opposite would be true if either.)

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Should be an ramp out of the water right above the barge. It'll have bars around it but you can crouch under them.

I'd tried to go up that, but it appears to be raised too far out of the water. I guess I'll try again.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 12, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can complete the game with no augs or items. You'll be fine.

JC Denton is awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2KassxUeE

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Anatharon posted:

^^^^ Yeah, that worked. Thanks!

A new question, though. Can you screw yourself by taking really, really bad augs? Like, is Microfibal Muscle absolutely worthless compared to Combat Strength? (Though I'd imagine the opposite would be true if either.)

I'd tried to go up that, but it appears to be raised too far out of the water. I guess I'll try again.

Augs are never really necessary and I always forget to use them, except for the light and regeneration/power recirculator. Why is JC so stubbornly set on using his power-hungry, freaky glowing eye nano poo poo when he could just buy a cheapo headlamp and save me lot of biocells? :bang:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Augs are never really necessary and I always forget to use them, except for the light and regeneration/power recirculator. Why is JC so stubbornly set on using his power-hungry, freaky glowing eye nano poo poo when he could just buy a cheapo headlamp and save me lot of biocells? :bang:

I'd say regeneration, ballistic protection, and speed fundamentally change the game by turning you into superman. Other augs are largely equal, just depends what you feel like doing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He was never properly trained in its operation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anatharon posted:

You can't properly screw yourself but you can definitely make things harder for yourself by picking lovely augs. Unless you have Biomod, which balances them.

You should have Biomod.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It is possible (and actually surprisingly easy) to complete the game with no skills and no augs.

Hell, it's possible to do it with no items of any kind.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Hey, goons are probably the best people to ask this, but if "my friend" wanted to do a Kill All Children run, would you have to kill Sandra Renton, the underage prostitute?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Is she underage?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
She's not a child anymore, DAD

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Cicadalek posted:

She's not a child anymore, DAD

The best part is when she shouts "I'm LEAVING!" and proceeds to clop around the lobby.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^ She does leave, though.

EngineerSean posted:

Hey, goons are probably the best people to ask this, but if "my friend" wanted to do a Kill All Children run, would you have to kill Sandra Renton, the underage prostitute?

I don't think so, she mentions she knows Vinny, the Marine, from high school. Actually, I can only think of a handful of children in the game so you might want to expand that run. YA SICKO

Actually, that reminds me of the Shifter mod (which you should use, at least that, probably Biomod) testimonial:

quote:

"A UNATCO agent trained in melee weapons can hurl a crowbar with sufficient force and precision to crack the skull of a ten-year-old homeless boy in a single shot while rendering the candy bar he carries still edible."
- Sb27441X

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the light aug isn't actually a light. Only JC can see it.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Speaking of the light aug, is there any easy way to change the bioelectric charge of certain augs? I'm playing with the dx10 renderer and while it looks great, dark areas are so dark that I'm finding myself using my flashlight much more than in the original. I guess it balances out with Biomod making things passive/free, but I hate playing knowing that using my flashlight is draining my energy.

edit: Alternately anyone know how to make this HDR poo poo less dark

edit: Actually, how do you make Deus Ex mods

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 14, 2011

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the light aug isn't actually a light. Only JC can see it.
I think it is in vanilla, but Shifter ( and Biomod? ) changes it so the AI can see it. Certainly the pitch-black parts of Redsun2020* became much harder when I played it with Shifter, as I got shot to ribbons every time I turned it on to see where the hell I was going.

*So, most of Redsun2020 then.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

IIRC, the devs intended for NPCs to see and react to the player's light, but the engine couldn't handle that.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I still love how "my vision is augmented" amounts to having a flash light in your eyeballs. I can't help but imagine JC Denton as a tiny man shaped train going through vents and tunnels.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gynovore posted:

IIRC, the devs intended for NPCs to see and react to the player's light, but the engine couldn't handle that.

One of the little things that Invisible War did that was kind of cool was that your pistol's flashlight was visible to NPCs but you could find a modified pistol that used an infared light that was only visible to you thanks to your augs. It didn't really amount to much from a practical standpoint, but it was a cool little touch.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^ I think the same thing from the Greasel Hunter; a nice touch. Though I think by the time you get it it is less useful, but whatever.

Gynovore posted:

No, I think it works that way in vanilla, too. All the old GameFAQs mention it, at least, and the Wikia doesn't say with mods only. I can't confirm myself, though.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Doom Goon posted:

^ I think the same thing from the Greasel Hunter; a nice touch. Though I think by the time you get it it is less useful, but whatever.

No, I think it works that way in vanilla, too. All the old GameFAQs mention it, at least, and the Wikia doesn't say with mods only. I can't confirm myself, though.
I think the way it works is that while NPCs don't react to the presence of the light itself, they do take it into account for visibility calculations, so they're able to see you in a dark room if you have the light on when they wouldn't otherwise, for example.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm on the Battery Park mission. I've destroyed the warehouse's generator and I can't seem to find my way back to town with the clinic and the park and the hotel. There doesn't seem to be a way to get off the loving rooftops. Can anyone tell me the right way to go?

Can't just mod my way out of it or whatever, playing on the PS2. Amazing how this game holds up even on an outdated console. Why they haven't updated this game with current-gen graphics and a rerelease, I'll never know.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bloodysabbath posted:

I'm on the Battery Park mission. I've destroyed the warehouse's generator and I can't seem to find my way back to town with the clinic and the park and the hotel. There doesn't seem to be a way to get off the loving rooftops. Can anyone tell me the right way to go?

Can't just mod my way out of it or whatever, playing on the PS2. Amazing how this game holds up even on an outdated console. Why they haven't updated this game with current-gen graphics and a rerelease, I'll never know.

If you've destroyed the generator, you're in the warehouse. Head to the first floor and walk out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

Why are you playing it on the PS2 :psyduck:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

SwissCM posted:

Why are you playing it on the PS2 :psyduck:

Have a Macbook Pro. Could have played it on Steam (I own it there too) but I wanted the girlfriend to be able to watch this wonderful apex of fuckin' everything re: game design from the comfort of our couch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The PS2 version is pretty crippled. The levels are chopped up and as such many gameplay options are missing. You could play it just fine on your Macbook using Bootcamp or using Wine.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If I remember correctly you should be able to just exit the ground floor of the warehouse and there's a long road/tunnel that leads back to Hell's Kitchen

Reive
May 21, 2009

Finally finished Deus Ex for the first time with just the vanilla game, I probably won't get around to replaying anytime soon but I assume when I do I'll play with New Vision and maybe a gameplay mod or two.

I still have plenty of time before DXHR, thinking of trying IW, disregarding gameplay changes how's the story in comparison to DX?

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Reive posted:

Finally finished Deus Ex for the first time with just the vanilla game, I probably won't get around to replaying anytime soon but I assume when I do I'll play with New Vision and maybe a gameplay mod or two.

I still have plenty of time before DXHR, thinking of trying IW, disregarding gameplay changes how's the story in comparison to DX?

It's a bit of an extension of DX1. To me, it felt a little forced, plotwise, but for gameplay it's pretty fun.

Just forget that it's supposed to be a sequel and you'll be fine.

NecroBob fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 14, 2011

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Reive posted:

The story is decent, but it seems sooooooooooooo slow until you get out of the loving first couple areas. I'm "lucky" enough to still have my copy for the original xbox, and I try to play through it about once a year, but I usually get burnt out shortly after the school level.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Reive posted:

I went into IW WANTING to like it, if only to be contrary, but it felt like I was playing a bad N64 port of a Deus Ex sequel and I never got out of the starting areas. Then again I also had major issues just getting it to run correctly. I ended up hating the game a lot because I couldn't bear to attempt playing much further than exiting the school. (I actually had to open task manager and close the executable any time a loading screen came up. A few minutes later it would launch itself again with the level loaded. I don't understand why. I figured it out after spending 5 minutes on the first loading screen after character generation, wondering why it wasn't launching.)

Reive
May 21, 2009

RichieWolk posted:

The story is decent, but it seems sooooooooooooo slow until you get out of the loving first couple areas. I'm "lucky" enough to still have my copy for the original xbox, and I try to play through it about once a year, but I usually get burnt out shortly after the school level.

It seems I won't get to play it, this old hunk of crap I've been playing DX1 on won't handle it, and there's something terribly wrong with the movement/camera in the xbox version, don't know if it's worth dealing with.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Reive posted:

It seems I won't get to play it, this old hunk of crap I've been playing DX1 on won't handle it, and there's something terribly wrong with the movement/camera in the xbox version, don't know if it's worth dealing with.

Invisible War is not worth any amount of hassle. Go give The Nameless Mod a go, if you like. It gets flak here for its premise, but stupid first hub fetch questing aside it's as fun to play as standard Deus Ex. Possibly more, in places, because of the ridiculous weapons you get to toy around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Invisible War is not worth any amount of hassle. Go give The Nameless Mod a go, if you like. It gets flak here for its premise, but stupid first hub fetch questing aside it's as fun to play as standard Deus Ex. Possibly more, in places, because of the ridiculous weapons you get to toy around with.

Either that or Malkavian, anything to pass the time really.