Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

Diesel is the most likely thing on any roundabout. You can often smell it in advance, but not always, especially in an urban area.

Good point, that seems particularly likely on this roundabout. It's near a petrol station and a dual carriageway. It's on a roundabout that will see a lot of diesel, as it's relatively industrial area. It also sees a fair share of U-turns at speed because of the layout of the road (bunch of entrances which are left-turn-only onto the road, including the exit from the petrol station).

I imagine it's still just the same story, just a different cause of slippery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

polystyrus posted:

Good point, that seems particularly likely on this roundabout. It's near a petrol station and a dual carriageway. It's on a roundabout that will see a lot of diesel, as it's relatively industrial area. It also sees a fair share of U-turns at speed because of the layout of the road (bunch of entrances which are left-turn-only onto the road, including the exit from the petrol station).

I imagine it's still just the same story, just a different cause of slippery.

Yep, there you go.

Really the only thing you can do about those is file the information away under "places to go very gently". Most likely you did nothing wrong other than not realising it would be a diesel-assisted ice rink when wet.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I was on a group ride. Riding faster than anticipated but proud of my ability to keep up, when my phone started to ring endlessly. Scared of something bad happening to family I take an exit and find myself at a stoplight with a car beside me.

When we both get green, I take off rather quickly and the car too. With my new found :cool: I do not have the fear to understand that going really fast in a corner with a car next to me is really loving stupid.

For some reason I don't know I go wide and hit the car. it is not a hard corner, it didn't pinch, I had experienced worse ones just five minutes ago. I wobble, but do not fall. I stop by a nearby gas station and so does he. After examination his front right and my back wheel met, with no damage to either. He said "hey I drive around on the 'ring a lot where this stuff happens all the time, don't worry" and on that note we parted ways.

gently caress. Me.

I don't know why I went wide, I don't know why I couldn't stop myself from doing a dumb thing, and I'm seriously lucky that this ended with a dud. It is the second time on a local group ride that I do something monumentally stupid.

In hindsight, riding on the edge is no fun at all.

Oh, and nobody called me either. The phone decided to play my ringtone forever. First time this phone ever does something weird too. :/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Did you look at the car as you were taking the turn? Could've messed your line up by changing your lean angle when moving your head.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Nah, I definitely got spooked by the combination of speed and corner. I did not know the car's lower halfway lime green before he stopped afterwards.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Heading back home from a long day at school (exam time) a little frustrated and not in the right frame of mind. Took the usual route with a little detour that goes around 2 roundabouts, which is always fun but it was raining. I was going straight at the second roundabout, minivan cuts me off and I think I hit the rear brake a little too hard and lowsided. Everything happened really fast, one second I'm doing fine and the next I'm sliding on the ground with no control.

There are frame sliders on the Bandit and they worked but when the bike hit the curb the clutch cover took the brunt of the force and broke off. Not sure if the bike is fixable at this point, I'll post pictures when I get the chance after my exam tomorrow.

In hindsight it was really stupid to be going that fast in the first place. Should have accounted for the rain better and not panicked with the rear brake in a freaking turn.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
oh man that sucks. I had a similar accident where a car hit me and the bike went sliding and it would've been fine until the bike hit a curb. It broke the stator cover and took a big chunk out of the engine case. Had to replace the whole engine. even though it was in perfect shape with only like 8000 miles

Sinek
Jun 23, 2005
I'm posting this as a warning for people that use cargo nets to secure bags to their rear seat. I got lucky and came out with nothing more than a very minor scratch but it could have been much worst considering I was on a very busy highway. i had checked my cargo net to make sure everything was properly secured about 5 minutes before this happened

I had just left for a 3 day road trip with a backpack strapped to the rear seat with a cargo net. About 15 minutes out of town I felt a sudden loss of power then about 2 seconds later the rear wheel completely locked up at about 140kph. The bike started skidding and swerving and I somehow managed to keep it upright long enough to slow down to about 5-10kph and swerve over to the side of the road. The bike went down as soon as I hit the gravel. What happened is that my bag somehow flew backwards then the cargo net sucked the bag back into my rear wheel, jamming it between the wheel and the swingarm.

Damage to the bike isn't too bad all things considered, cosmetic damage to the fairings and hard bags. The rack for my hard bags got pretty badly damaged and my rear tire is gone. I had a tiny scratch on my knee and a sore shoulder the next day.

The skid mark starts pretty much where i am standing and ends at my bike, i figured about 250ft

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Holy poo poo, that's pretty terrifying. Good to hear you made it out all right. Do you think the wind was too much for the bag and just lifted it right off?

Sinek
Jun 23, 2005

AncientTV posted:

Holy poo poo, that's pretty terrifying. Good to hear you made it out all right. Do you think the wind was too much for the bag and just lifted it right off?

Possibly I don't really know what caused it to do that, I’ve had that same bag strapped the same way to the bike many times before and never had any issue, even at speeds higher than what i was going that day. The thought of that happening never crossed my mind, I was always more concerned about my stuff falling off in the middle of the highway.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Sinek posted:

Possibly I don't really know what caused it to do that, I’ve had that same bag strapped the same way to the bike many times before and never had any issue, even at speeds higher than what i was going that day. The thought of that happening never crossed my mind, I was always more concerned about my stuff falling off in the middle of the highway.

Wow that is impressive, especially the hole in the tire.

I had my backpack strap come loose and get sucked into the rear brake caliper but it just melted the end and I never thought any more of it.. glad it didn't get wrapped around the sprocket or something.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

If I were you I would use that picture and tell people you were just practicing burnouts :clint:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
that would take some skill to flatspot a hole in the tire doing burnouts

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

aventari posted:

that would take some skill to flatspot a hole in the tire doing burnouts

Just drag a little rear brake while doing the burnout. Nothing could go wrong with that idea. :v:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Well my uncle crashed his 2006 Sportster 883. Mostly cosmetic damage. A local Harley dealership quoted 7 grand in parts, plus 12 hours labor. So I went to pick up the bike today.

Beside it is a 1974 Honda CB360 that im working on restoring

What needs to be replaced:

Front fender
Left fork tube was bent ( I hate rebuilding forks)
Handle bars had a nice bend in them
Front wheel was warped and had a nice dent in it
Lower triple tree had a chunk taken out of it
I think the disk brake is bent

So im going to be using ebay to source most of the parts and can probably fix it for around 3 grand. Funny thing is the bike is about 5 grand used and 10 for a 2011. For the price that was quoted I was expecting a lot more damage.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 13, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That should be under a grand in damage with ebay parts.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I think I can do it around 1500, 3 grand was the limit. It all depends on what he wants to fix. The Tank has a small dent in it that that added a grand to the Harley shop's estimate. Its quite surprising what they put on the estimate. Clutch cable( no problems that I saw/ felt),clutch leaver, mirrors ( one had a small scratch), brake pads ( no idea why). I guess cause they were just trying to get more work if insurance was paying for it.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 13, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shops almost always pad out estimates, and are required to replace any damaged parts with new ones, generally. So yeah, you'll get some crazy estimates. To build just the engine from the catalog typically will cost you as much as the bike complete.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Shops almost always pad out estimates, and are required to replace any damaged parts with new ones, generally. So yeah, you'll get some crazy estimates. To build just the engine from the catalog typically will cost you as much as the bike complete.

A few months ago either Bike or PB mag (can't remember which specifically) went through the Yamaha and Suzuki parts catalogue to see how much it would cost to build an entire R1 or GSXR1000 solely from spares purchased from a dealer for RRP. IIRC they were looking at nearly £60k.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I went down today - everything is fine except for minor scrapes, gear, and plastic. The worst part of it is that I'm not sure what I did wrong, so I don't know hot to not do it again.

A buddy at work is looking to trade up from his '07 Ninja 650, so he offered it to me for $3k. I'm still on my Ninja 500 (televagina, lol.), and it's physically too small for me, so I figure that this would be a decent upgrade. I'd ridden it ~10 miles once to help him get it into storage this past winter, but I hadn't been on it enough to decide if I'd want to own it, so I suggested we swap bikes and go for a spin.

We approach an intersection and need to turn right. Just as i'm starting to brake as we pull up to the red light, it turns green; I shift my butt a little, roll on, and dig in to turn. Everything's fine until suddenly it isn't. Suddenly my elbow hurts, there are terrible noises, I'm watching asphalt slide past my face, I'm rolling, and then sky. Nothing hurts enough to be seriously injured, and I'm on my feet and chasing the bike before I really have time to consider if that was a good idea. It's still sliding away (through the turn lane and coming to rest in the oncoming lane). Traffic stops and I make a mental observation about how nice they're being - not honking as I block traffic and flounder to pick this fucker up (and suddenly remember the 'small lady picks up a Harley' video, which really worked wonders).

The best thing I can figure is some combination of:
* - the bike has taller bars than mine, so I had more leverage that I was used to and leaned too hard
* - it had more pick-up than I was used to and I gave it too much gas, so the back end got loose
* - I was leaned as it crossed the white 'stop' line, and the paint had enough less traction to be problematic
* - there was a bit of road debris from the storms this weekend, but nothing that should have been a problem

It's embarrassing as all hell, because this was a NOTHING turn.

The owner had recently gone down, so the only new damage was scrapes on the bar end and mirror an more rash on the plastic. He already got the parts to replace the previous damage, but hadn't put them on yet, and he refused my offer of new mirror and bar end. Amazingly cool of him.

...Because I don't think I want it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Sounds like you may have chopped the throttle and low-sided it. Paint or debris on the road won't really matter unless you've nearly exhausted your lean angle, or you didn't keep a constant throttle while rolling over them. Good to hear that you and the bike are relatively damage free at least!

Also:

televiper posted:

I'm still on my Ninja 500 (televagina, lol.), and it's physically too small for me
Are you 7' tall or something?

Brown Bread
Aug 21, 2004

PEDOPHILE NAZI-APOLOGIST
Had 2 crashes, one serious, one minor and dumb. Lots of words.

My serious crash happened about 4 years ago, 3 weeks after I had passed my CBT and was on a little adventure around mid Wales on my CBR125. I had been riding around for about 8 hours and I remember about half of it, including randomly coming across a Chimpanzee Sanctuary in the middle of nowhere. Apparently I hit a Lampost on a roundabout with my head at near 50mph. Being the obscenely lucky bastard I am, I had a guardian angel in the form of an off duty paramedic following me in his car and did all the necessary life saving things, I assume. He witnessed the whole thing and from what I was told, he said I had been riding fine and I got to this roundabout and I just rode into it.

Now I have NO recollection of the crash at all but it sounds like it was a combination of fatigue and object fixation. I suspect this because I had a few pant making GBS threads moments on other rides where, being a newbie, I would fixate on a curb or something and stiffen up when cornering.

I woke up in hospital, with my mum and dad sat next to me and I proceeded to vom in my lap :v:. I had a fracture on the front left and rear right of my skull,(or front right, rear left I can't remember), and I lost the ability to talk/write for a week or so. It was weird because I could understand people but I just couldn't articulate anything meaningful back to them. At one point I was just calling everything toilet and illness. The doctors and nurses all thought I had amnesia but my Mum somehow knew EXACTLY what my problem was kept telling them I just had problems communicating.

After about a week in hospital I had a seizure and I remember it clearly, me being on the bed wondering why the gently caress everyone was crowding around me, my dad crying, and wondering why they were putting this mask on my face etc. When I came too everything was clear and I could talk and write again. I was still a retard but I could generally get my point across with some concentration. Go brain restart!
After about 2 weeks they let me out and over a few months I got back to normal communication wise. I never found out who the paramedic was, would've been sweet to get the full story and basically worship him for saving my life.

My CBR had a bent handle bar, smashed front and rear lights, bent clutch lever, bent rear break pedal, smashed front left indicator and a couple of scratches. It cost me about £100 in parts and 6 hours to repair. I ended up selling it to a dealership for £300 more than I paid for it too, awesome ;)

I had a lovely £70 helmet and that crash really made me realise how important my brain is so I forked out for a £250 AGV Titech which is a dream to wear as well as probably providing several magnitudes more protection.

Minor crash was about 2 years ago, a friend and I riding around town on our CBR600's(My 04RR, his 98 600F) and we decide to gun it for a green light with my friend ahead of me. It changed to amber as we were quite close and we really opened it up to catch it, (amber gambler we don't give no gently caress), and my friend changed his mind and emergency stopped for the light, dick. I was about 4-3 metres behind him, slightly to his right and I just had time to swerve and brake, catching his bike/leg with my left indicator tearing that out and making a nice hole in my fairing and also catching his exhaust with my left peg and boot(<3 my SMX 5's) and denting and ripping off the exhaust strap. I came to a stop on the crossing and quickly picked up the bits that came off our bikes and quickly assessed that his exhaust was still reasonably secure to ride home slowly and properly check the poo poo out of our bikes.

The damage wasn't too bad. My bike had the most damage, the 2 inch hole in my fairing where the indicator was looked expensive but I managed to pick that bit up and get it welded for about £120 so that you couldn't tell there had been a hole there.

His exhaust strap was completely ripped off and bought him a new one for about £6 and helped him smooth out his exhaust. He wasn't too bothered as his bike was pretty beat up anyway from a couple of drops and generally being old and heavily used.

I chuckle now that it cost me more to repair a hole in my fairing than to fix up half a bike after a serious crash, but at the time I was like "loving gently caress my bike is going to lose half it's value now because no fucker wants to buy a sports bike with crash damage!" but it all worked out and I sold it for 100 less than the price I paid.

I literally wear full textiles, boots, gloves everywhere I go now. Taking no risks at all in that respect.

TL;DR

Hit lampost, skull fracture, lost ability to speak for a week, £100ish to repairbike.

Hit friends bike, glancing, put hole in my fairing, ripped off his exhaust strap, no hurt thanks to boots.

Brown Bread fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 30, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

televiper posted:

I went down today - everything is fine except for minor scrapes, gear, and plastic. The worst part of it is that I'm not sure what I did wrong, so I don't know hot to not do it again.

To me it sounds like you got a little overaggressive with the throttle, the rear end stepped out, and down you went. Combine that with the painted line (which can be super slick if anything is spilled on it), and a bike you're not familiar with, and down you go.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My stupid friend who got a brand new '11 650R crashed it a few days after buying it and a week before the MSF, lowsided around 40 by chopping the throttle when practicing turns. He was okay for MSF and passed fine - he's been riding ever since with some close calls because he drives like a dong (130mph on the I-495 constantly into brooklyn)

Today some higher power told him to stop riding by having someone total his bike by crashing into it while it was parked by it's lonesome. Not really a crash story but there is atleast an accident involved :D

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Also:

Are you 7' tall or something?

Well, I do fit on it, but it's snug. I'm 6'2" and feel like my legs are a bit too jammed in and that the bar is too low which gives me some leg and lower back issues on longer rides. It's fine for around here, but not ideal for the weekend adventures that I would like to do.

I could try risers for the bar (I've been meaning to try that for a while), but there's not much to be done with the pegs, right? Seems like I might as well move up to a bigger/better bike and be done with it.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Sepist posted:

Today some higher power told him to stop riding by having someone total his bike by crashing into it while it was parked by it's lonesome. Not really a crash story but there is atleast an accident involved :D

I hope he had GAP insurance because god that must suck for him.

EDIT: Unless he bought it with cash, either way...

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

televiper posted:

I could try risers for the bar (I've been meaning to try that for a while), but there's not much to be done with the pegs, right? Seems like I might as well move up to a bigger/better bike and be done with it.

If the 650r felt better though, the only change in ergos for that from the 500 are slightly farther back bars and rearsets. You can get a pair of rearsets for the 500 that would do the same thing. Namely, they serve to drop your knees down and your feet a bit further back. However, they'll tighten up the angle of your leg, so there's that too.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 30, 2011

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Had my first big-ish crash, I was on a group ride on my cb400, on a route that I've done multiple times. I was half way through an s bend probably going a little fast when I spotted a deep pot hole right in front of me just as I commenced the turn. Right then I thought "braking would be a really bad idea here" then I went down, landed on my right arm which must have been stretched out because I felt it pop out. I immediately got up and had luckily had no one behind me. My bike hadn't gone far and as I began wrestling it back up my arm popped back in, bonus!
My front break lever completely snapped off and it was scratched all along the right side with a dent on the tank but no functional damage. Some riders caught up and helped me organise a cheap tow.
I was wearing full gear so I only had a small graze on my knee other than my shoulder which subluxed.
I think this crash happened because I was overconfident on a ride I've done multiple time at a speed (65-70km/hr) I shouldn't have been traveling at that speed on a road that I know has it's share of pothole (although I'd never noticed this one).
Well any crash you walk away from is one you can learn from.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
My first big crash and the end of the SV. I'm on hydrocodone and will edit in what happened later.

Full album is here http://imgur.com/a/QtNga has pics of the GTO I hit, the bike, and my gear.

I have no broken bones, somehow. More later.

What little road rash I got is here http://imgur.com/a/5gZoh

Persh fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 9, 2011

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Persh posted:

:stare: Hopefully your pretty much fine in every other way too.

Congrats on the gear, you should mount that helmet on a wall.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Persh posted:

My first big crash and the end of the SV. I'm on hydrocodone and will edit in what happened later.

Full album is here http://imgur.com/a/QtNga has pics of the GTO I hit, the bike, and my gear.

Wow, goondolences on the bike, glad to hear you didn't break anything, hope you're ok otherwise too, that crash looks gnarly!! Wearing gear wins again I guess.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Bondematt posted:

:stare: Hopefully your pretty much fine in every other way too.

Congrats on the gear, you should mount that helmet on a wall.

The damage on that helmet :stare:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yikes, that used to be a S model?

Also glad you're ok.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Persh posted:

What little road rash I got is here http://imgur.com/a/5gZoh

Glad that you're OK, that crash looks nasty..

Also I saw your post on MH, there is a few Houston riders on SA it seems..

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Persh you should tell folks what you were doing when you crashed.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Oof that trunk!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

n8r posted:

Persh you should tell folks what you were doing when you crashed.

Persh posted:

I'm on hydrocodone and will edit in what happened later.

I think he'd rather us hear a coherent story.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
I was coming up in the middle lane of the feeder when my friends in the GTO in the right lane merged over into my lane RIGHT in front of me. I rear ended the gto going faster then it was. I started to endo as I saw i was about to hit the car and ended up flying over the car, hitting the hood with my head, blacking out, came to, the SV hit me, I blacked out again, came to again and i was rolling, so I stayed as limp as I could, blacked out again, came to to my friend Jon from the GTO picking me up and carrying me away from the SV which had caught on fire. Both are totalled, I have no broken bones somehow, just rash on both lower sides and a little on my left hand. I am in a lot of pain from the SV hitting me however.

I can walk with a lot of difficulty.

:smith:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Persh posted:

I was coming up in the middle lane of the feeder when my friends in the GTO in the right lane merged over into my lane RIGHT in front of me. I rear ended the gto going faster then it was. I started to endo as I saw i was about to hit the car and ended up flying over the car, hitting the hood with my head, blacking out, came to, the SV hit me, I blacked out again, came to again and i was rolling, so I stayed as limp as I could, blacked out again, came to to my friend Jon from the GTO picking me up and carrying me away from the SV which had caught on fire. Both are totalled, I have no broken bones somehow, just rash on both lower sides and a little on my left hand. I am in a lot of pain from the SV hitting me however.

I can walk with a lot of difficulty.

:smith:

Ow! Were you guys racing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
No. The cops tried to get me to admit that I had rode a wheelie from the Sonic restaurant we had both just left (A mile back up the road easy :what:) and was over 100 mph aanndd was racing them, while I was strapped down to the gurney in pain.

• Locked thread