Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Stabby McDamage posted:

Having some trouble with my Blackwidow...I got it used with some minor damage (cracked corner, missing keycap), but it looks like it has more problems then that.

I'm having trouble with some keys sticking down, as if the clicky mechanism inside the switch is getting subtly stuck sometimes. I don't know what the people before me did to this board, but I'm betting it's more than just cracking the corner.

Any ideas on how to rehabilitate these keyswitches?

Take it apart and clean it - bet they spilled coke or something and didn't bother to clean it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Welp, Glompix talked me into getting a Tenkeyless Cherry-Brown keyboard. It looks pretty dope from the reviews and I wanted something different then a Das. I'll give a trip report in a week or two when I get it!

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
gently caress man that's awesome. I'm thinking about picking up one too to replace my Blackwidow. I'd love to just swap my brown full size Filco at work out with it but the Blackwidow is way too loud. :(

Tab8715 posted:

Is the only place to buy a Filco keyboard Amazon? I'm trying to get a full-size, but I'd like my replacement keys and red escape and possibly blue enter key?

Yeah, it sucks the filcos on amazon don't come with that stuff. Maybe they don't at all anymore. If you don't mind blanks, WASD sells sets and singles of keycaps in all kinds of colors. Probably going to get some of those really soon. :dance:

It also sucks they don't have Linear R Filcos on there either because I feel like those might be even better than browns for mass gaming.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

glompix posted:

gently caress man that's awesome. I'm thinking about picking up one too to replace my Blackwidow. I'd love to just swap my brown full size Filco at work out with it but the Blackwidow is way too loud. :(

Yeah, it sucks the filcos on amazon don't come with that stuff. Maybe they don't at all anymore. If you don't mind blanks, WASD sells sets and singles of keycaps in all kinds of colors. Probably going to get some of those really soon. :dance:

It also sucks they don't have Linear R Filcos on there either because I feel like those might be even better than browns for mass gaming.

I don't know if they actually ship to America but you could try the Amazon retailer's own website: http://keyboardco.com/

I ordered from there with some red keys to make it look pretty :3:

Edit: Well I guess it didn't actually come with them as you needed to order them separately.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 10, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If some other European goons want to try a mechanical keyboard on a budget (and, like me, don't like the Razer or Steelseries offers), I've found that various German retailers sell some models of Cherry G80-3000 for significantly cheaper than Keyboardco.com (Mindfactory.de will ship one internationally for about 75€, instead of 97£).

Link: http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?cat=kb&sort=p&bpmax=&asuch=G80-3000&v=e&plz=&dist=&filter=+Liste+aktualisieren+&xf=1041_Cherry

Refer to this chart (click on "models") to make sure that you get the layout and switch type you want. The switch rule is P=black Q=brown S=blue, then there's two letters for the layout, and the number at the end of the code indicates the colour (0=white 1=grey 2=black).

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Trip report on the 'silent' Das keyboard (Cherry browns) I ordered a few days ago. It's exactly what I expected, great feel to the keys, I can't stop typing on it. Of course, I had the advantage of knowing what Cherry browns were like before buying, but nonetheless, very happy with the purchase. I love gaming with it as well.

I bought from NCIX in Canada.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Startacus posted:

It appears as if they are just plastic membranes :( http://imgur.com/a/HbkiA

It still feels really good to type on though....

There are good membrane keyboards and there are bad ones. I love the feel of the Keytronic I have stowed away somewhere, that is a definite membrane but I love the feel of the thing; it's also the only Keytronic I've ever seen that had a regular sized Backspace. I don't know why Keytronic thinks that it's so drat difficult to hit enter. The cheap value Logitech I have isn't too bad either; it's no award winner and you can tell there's ghosting issues but it is a solid performer overall.

On the other hand there were some real dog AT keyboards that I recall from back in the day, mushy keys, bad feedback, quick wear. Nowdays it still exists, don't ever buy an iHome keyboard, for example.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

glompix posted:

Goddammit.

Are there any Filco Alternatives at all? I hate Glossy Keyboard Syndrome with passion, and want my replacement keys.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Goddammit.

Are there any Filco Alternatives at all? I hate Glossy Keyboard Syndrome with passion, and want my replacement keys.

Why not try WASD?

I got the semi-custom one today with MX Blues and it feels really nice.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've been on the fence about a new keyboard for a while now. I use a cheap-cheap-cheap Microsoft keyboard which I replaced once since 2004. It's "fine", but I'd still like a nicer one to go with my new PC.

I want mechanical switches. I used a mate's Razer BlackWidow or whatever with the backlit keyboard and that was kind of nice. I hate the backlight though. I quite liked the "easily usable as a weapon" weight and solidness of it too.

Apparently, that keyboard has Cherry MX Blue switches, which I liked the feel of but not so much the noise of. If that's the only way to get that exact feel, then I'll go for a keyboard with MX Blue switches, but is there a switch type that feels exactly the same without the audible "click click click"?

I quite like the look of Leopold keyboards, and N-key-rollover is somehow appealing (useless as it seems). Leopold seem to make the exact same keyboard with different switch types, so I guess I can get one that feels like what I like...

Like this:

dox
Mar 4, 2006
After lurking in this thread for a couple months and using lovely dell keyboards, I finally ordered a full size Filco Ninja Majestouch with brown switches... it's been quite the upgrade and I'd really recommend it for anyone out there as an entry level mechanical. Ordered it smoothly through Amazon once as soon as I got back. I've really enjoyed the switch and it all just feels more natural typing on this keyboard after a couple of days. The noise is different and relatively louder but it's not that annoying and you obviously get used to it. now I just want to try out (and hear) the other switches- can't find a store around here with any. Are there any national stores in the US that stock mechanical? My local Best Buy definitely didn't...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

AlphaDog posted:

I quite like the look of Leopold keyboards, and N-key-rollover is somehow appealing (useless as it seems). Leopold seem to make the exact same keyboard with different switch types, so I guess I can get one that feels like what I like...

They're pretty heavy. Like the heaviest "modern" keyboard I've handled. Nice and solid. Good for smacking things.
I'd suggest you look into browns, which are like blues except without the audible click. The tactile feeling is a little different, but it's pretty much the closest thing there'd be.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

AlphaDog posted:

I've been on the fence about a new keyboard for a while now. I use a cheap-cheap-cheap Microsoft keyboard which I replaced once since 2004. It's "fine", but I'd still like a nicer one to go with my new PC.

I want mechanical switches. I used a mate's Razer BlackWidow or whatever with the backlit keyboard and that was kind of nice. I hate the backlight though. I quite liked the "easily usable as a weapon" weight and solidness of it too.

Apparently, that keyboard has Cherry MX Blue switches, which I liked the feel of but not so much the noise of. If that's the only way to get that exact feel, then I'll go for a keyboard with MX Blue switches, but is there a switch type that feels exactly the same without the audible "click click click"?

Like this:

In my experience, no switch feels exactly like a Cherry blue, not even the Cherry brown. If the click bothers you, I'm told you can reduce the overall noise somewhat with the "o-ring" mod. WASD Keyboards can preinstall that mod for you, if you want. That said, I prefer browns to blues, and will probably replace the Razer Blackwidow I have at work, both due to noise and overall feel. I'll probably try a WASD keyboard.

Incidentally, they make a non-backlit Blackwidow, and Best Buy stocks them.

As for that Leopold, have you found a place that sells a full-size Leopold in the US? I only saw the tenkeyless versions domestically.

dox posted:

After lurking in this thread for a couple months and using lovely dell keyboards, I finally ordered a full size Filco Ninja Majestouch with brown switches... it's been quite the upgrade and I'd really recommend it for anyone out there as an entry level mechanical. Ordered it smoothly through Amazon once as soon as I got back. I've really enjoyed the switch and it all just feels more natural typing on this keyboard after a couple of days. The noise is different and relatively louder but it's not that annoying and you obviously get used to it. now I just want to try out (and hear) the other switches- can't find a store around here with any. Are there any national stores in the US that stock mechanical? My local Best Buy definitely didn't...

Unfortunately not, with the exception of the Razer Blackwidow, which Best Buy stocks. That has Cherry blues, and the box has the arrow keys exposed for you to test out.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Stabby McDamage posted:

In my experience, no switch feels exactly like a Cherry blue, not even the Cherry brown. If the click bothers you, I'm told you can reduce the overall noise somewhat with the "o-ring" mod. WASD Keyboards can preinstall that mod for you, if you want. That said, I prefer browns to blues, and will probably replace the Razer Blackwidow I have at work, both due to noise and overall feel. I'll probably try a WASD keyboard.

Incidentally, they make a non-backlit Blackwidow, and Best Buy stocks them.

As for that Leopold, have you found a place that sells a full-size Leopold in the US? I only saw the tenkeyless versions domestically.

Unfortunately not, with the exception of the Razer Blackwidow, which Best Buy stocks. That has Cherry blues, and the box has the arrow keys exposed for you to test out.

Hmmm... maybe I'll try the Browns somewhere before I decide.

No, I haven't found a Leopold stocker in the USA, but I'm in Australia, and there's 2 places within 15 minutes drive of me which have them, but unfortunately they're both warehouses with "make an online order and we'll email you when it can be picked up" policies, so no going in to try the keyboards out. They're both super loving cheap for PC parts though.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

AlphaDog posted:

Hmmm... maybe I'll try the Browns somewhere before I decide.

No, I haven't found a Leopold stocker in the USA, but I'm in Australia, and there's 2 places within 15 minutes drive of me which have them, but unfortunately they're both warehouses with "make an online order and we'll email you when it can be picked up" policies, so no going in to try the keyboards out. They're both super loving cheap for PC parts though.

Cherry clears are hard to come by but they'd be closer to blues than browns. The tactile bump is bigger and they're not as light. Browns and blues feel way different but are both awesome in their own unique way. Blues feel like popping packing bubbles, but browns are just super light and comfy.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

teraflame posted:

Why not try WASD?

I got the semi-custom one today with MX Blues and it feels really nice.

Wow that is one sexy board. love how the text on the keys is the same color as the keys themselves, it's closest to no text without having no text. can you compare qualitywise this to the Filcos? or can anyone? I want a mech KB and I read here that dasKB isn't greatly built and the shiny bezel bugs me so it's between this and the Filcos, these are cheaper and have awesome customizations, and you can get the orings for 13 buck extra and it's still cheaper than the Filco. I don't want to scrounge on quality, personally I think they both look equally great for different reasons.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 12, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

glompix posted:

Cherry clears are hard to come by but they'd be closer to blues than browns. The tactile bump is bigger and they're not as light. Browns and blues feel way different but are both awesome in their own unique way. Blues feel like popping packing bubbles, but browns are just super light and comfy.

I reckon I'll go with the browns, after reading a shitload last night. It'd still be nice to try one out first though.

Since I'm using an $8 keyboard anything is likely to be an improvement.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Wow that is one sexy board. love how the text on the keys is the same color as the keys themselves, it's closest to no text without having no text. can you compare qualitywise this to the Filcos? or can anyone? I want a mech KB and I read here that dasKB isn't greatly built and the shiny bezel bugs me so it's between this and the Filcos, these are cheaper and have awesome customizations, and you can get the orings for 13 buck extra and it's still cheaper than the Filco. I don't want to scrounge on quality, personally I think these look nicer aesthetically.

I've had a Filco and the WASD feels just as sturdy, if not more. Differences from filco are it comes with a braided cable and no rubber tipped feet on the pull-out stands. The keycaps are etched so they have a noticeable feel. Build quality on Filco/Leopold/WASD are all very close, just pick what you like aesthetically really.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

teraflame posted:

I've had a Filco and the WASD feels just as sturdy, if not more. Differences from filco are it comes with a braided cable and no rubber tipped feet on the pull-out stands. The keycaps are etched so they have a noticeable feel. Build quality on Filco/Leopold/WASD are all very close, just pick what you like aesthetically really.

The laser engraving was a really cool innovation, because it means it's economical to fully customize every individual key of the keyboard -- check out their customizer app. You can make every key cap any color you want, and put whatever text or symbol you want on it. It's $140 for a fully custom board, $120 for a "semi-custom" one, where they limit your options to make it easier to do in bulk.

They'll even install rubber o-rings in each individual keycap for $20 (reduces noise), or sell you just the custom keycaps without the board for $50 (if you want to trick out some Cherry-based board you already have. The guy who runs it is active on geekhack, and you can contact him directly if you want something zany. They're a small enough company that it sounds like they can accommodate that sort of thing.

I haven't gotten one myself, but reviews look good, so I'll probably pick one up at some point.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Decided to take this opportunity to go tenkeyless, and since I don't really like the Leopolds, Filco it is. Might grab a bag of o rings from WASD though.

I was thinking, if you replaced the Caps lock key and the scroll lock key on the Leopolds to ones without the fiber optic on them, you wouldn't have bright rear end LEDs, it would instead make a blue halo around the key, probably look pretty badass.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 13, 2011

eborp
Apr 23, 2007

Depths posted:

Been using my Filco ninja majestouch 2 with brown switches for an hour now and it feels so much better to type on this keyboard than the apple keyboard i had.

I can second this response. I've been using the Mac wireless keyboard at work and a Saitek II keyboard for games and coding at home. This new Filco Ninja feels amazing, it wakes my girlfriend and I can type or play on it for hours. The only thing I miss is the multimedia keys of the Saitek, but I can get used to that.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You can quite easily set your keyboard up with multimedia keys, just get a third party program and rebind some keys that you don't use.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Taima posted:

You can quite easily set your keyboard up with multimedia keys, just get a third party program and rebind some keys that you don't use.

This is the best option. I use Sharpkeys personally.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Do they work if the music program isn't in focus, like if you're playing a game full-screen? this is my main issue with my eclipse's media keys, in that they are completely useless.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Do they work if the music program isn't in focus, like if you're playing a game full-screen? this is my main issue with my eclipse's media keys, in that they are completely useless.

There's a ton of apps that can do this. I use Winamp as my player, so I can just use its global shortcut keys options, but if you don't use that, you can use something like Autohotkey to bind key combos to standard multimedia keys. You can even override Windows default combos, like Win+B.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Full Circle posted:

This is the best option. I use Sharpkeys personally.

Not sure I'd say "best", myself. Nothing beats dedicated keys.
Since nobody bloody makes a mechanical keyboard with them, someone should make a little USB addon that clips onto the top edge. Make it exactly like the media key cluster on the Dell keyboards and you'd sell thousands.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Stabby McDamage posted:

There's a ton of apps that can do this. I use Winamp as my player, so I can just use its global shortcut keys options, but if you don't use that, you can use something like Autohotkey to bind key combos to standard multimedia keys. You can even override Windows default combos, like Win+B.

oh, I forgot to mention I use itunes, it's very stubborn. I have like 6 different ipods/phones so I don't plan on ever leaving.

VVVVV Neat. thanks

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 14, 2011

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

oh, I forgot to mention I use itunes, it's very stubborn. I have like 6 different ipods/phones so I don't plan on ever leaving.

Maybe this or this? (I just googled it)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
thanks to this last page I just ordered a red ESC, space bar, and numpad 5 for my g6v2

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

dox posted:

I ordered a full size Filco Ninja Majestouch with brown switches... it's been quite the upgrade and I'd really recommend it for anyone out there as an entry level mechanical.

By "entry level," you mean the best keyboard on the market.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

40 OZ posted:

good thing i made the right choice. i meant that if you wanted to switch it's a good one to start with- and to keep, apparently

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

40 OZ posted:

Well, you also have the considerably more expensive Topre-based keyboards like the Happy Hacking Professional or the Realforce ones, but whether they're better than quality Cherry-based boards like Filco and Leopold probably comes down to personal switch preference.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening
I have a filco majestouch with blues and kinda wish I would have gotten the brownssss

also, somehow lost the little tool to lift the keys off AND my extra keys I had left ( i installed the purple WASD and red esc )

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

40 OZ posted:

I would argue that WASD is shaping up to be better. Cheaper, built just as good, and comes with a variety of customization options you just can't get without a load of trouble normally. Plus they're based in california with great customer service. Guy who runs it frequents a lot of keyboard forums and is very responsive.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

teraflame posted:

I would argue that WASD is shaping up to be better. Cheaper, built just as good, and comes with a variety of customization options you just can't get without a load of trouble normally. Plus they're based in california with great customer service. Guy who runs it frequents a lot of keyboard forums and is very responsive.

I really like the idea of a US keyboard company, but their casings looks so blah. Filco, and to an extent Leopold, styled cases look much better. The only thing I don't like about Leopold is the more distinct rounding. Also I haven't seen an option for tenkeyless yet.

I'm pretty vain though, so aside from the tenkeyless thing they look pretty sweet.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The one thing I don't like about my Leopold is the thin border. Like if they added a half inch all around it would be great.

Although I tend to move it around a lot. If it just sat on a desk it'd be fine.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

glompix posted:

I really like the idea of a US keyboard company, but their casings looks so blah. Filco, and to an extent Leopold, styled cases look much better. The only thing I don't like about Leopold is the more distinct rounding. Also I haven't seen an option for tenkeyless yet.

I'm pretty vain though, so aside from the tenkeyless thing they look pretty sweet.

Yeah I noticed where the top connects to the bottom of the kb there's a big seam on those WASDs if that makes sense, I also don't like how it curves down in front of the space bar. it's still pretty drat nice looking though.

Got my Filco with browns today :iia: Tenkeyless was the way to go, now I can type in front of me instead of slightly off to the left. Don't really seem to have any issues transferring from my eclipse, it's a bit loud but that's only because I type like a barbarian. I noticed I'm better at using the shift key now, before I would always have to go back. I'll miss my numeric keypad for typing passwords, but I could always grab a cheap standalone one if it becomes a giant issue.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I would love to buy something like the 'Happy Hacking Keyboard' or the 'KBC Poker' (see pics) but they're both wired!

Are there any small, minimalist, mechanical, keyboards that use wireless?

I'm using the apple wireless keyboard now and it's good, but I'm looking for something less chicklet-y that has blank and/or customizable keycaps.

Any ideas?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Got my leopold today and it owns! I didn't realize how small it was but it really has a unique feel to it. Going from rubber-domes -> brown switches is like a whole new experience! Should I ever be worried about one of the switches breaking? Or do they last forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

err posted:

Got my leopold today and it owns! I didn't realize how small it was but it really has a unique feel to it. Going from rubber-domes -> brown switches is like a whole new experience! Should I ever be worried about one of the switches breaking? Or do they last forever?

10 million or so keypresses are what they are supposed to last for, but they do break on occasion. Fortunately, you can buy individual switches online, and if you don't mind desoldering the old switch and putting a new one in, replacements are easy.

• Locked thread