Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Muffinpox posted:

Do they do it if the bore is that part that gets banged up?
I believe the blocks are already sleeved. They just pull the bad one and pop in a good one.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I remember someone here (frozenphil maybe?) posting a what looked like a toasted head, and then the picture of it fixed. $500 of welding work on a $1500 head justifies it in the end.

Yeah especially if you already have its $1500 mate on the other bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Scientist posted:

Yeah that's where I used to live. They paved from the end of the shoulder to about 3 feet into the left lane, and about the same but reverse on the right side. I was at the end of a long road trip there just the other day. Everyone was driving with two wheels 3 inches higher on nice, smooth pavement, and the other 2 down on some scuffed up road foundation. I was out of gently caress to give so I just cruised, offset from everybody else, on some nice rear end pavement along the shoulder. There were no lines anyway, so who cares?

It still pisses me off that their are cones along the entire length of 95 in Brevard but only a insignificant, minute part ever has "men working" at any given time (if at all); but its all still "construction zone - speeding fines doubled"

95 sucks in pretty much any state it runs through.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pringleton posted:

They've progressed a lot, I-95 in Brevard is now cones along one side, concrete barricades along the other and uneven lanes along the entire length. Every so often another stretch will repave a lane, then shift the lines half a lane over, so there's a 1-2 inch drop in the middle of each lane and a soft shoulder. I'm starting to think the state measures the success of a construction project by how many motorcyclists they kill.

At least the Pineda Causeway exit exists now, saves like fifteen minutes every time I go to or leave Satellite Beach.

I-95 is actually pretty good in Miami, it's the section of US-1 south of it that ruins me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Posting from the youtube thread.

http://youtu.be/c_ItwLcBw5Q

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Shaocaholica posted:

Posting from the youtube thread.

http://youtu.be/c_ItwLcBw5Q

Good god that could have gone poorly for everyone in that shop.

:stare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Also, it must have smelled terrible.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So the rotor looks like its still in one piece. I'm assuming the 'bang' was from the pad?

Not to say it was safe by any means but it seems like the most dangerous area(s) would be right in front and behind the axis of the hub right?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Shaocaholica posted:

So the rotor looks like its still in one piece. I'm assuming the 'bang' was from the pad?

Not to say it was safe by any means but it seems like the most dangerous area(s) would be right in front and behind the axis of the hub right?

Sure I guess but I can't imagine it being very hard for molten hot shrapnel to bounce around in that shop. And isn't brake fluid flammable to a certain degree?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sure I guess but I can't imagine it being very hard for molten hot shrapnel to bounce around in that shop. And isn't brake fluid flammable to a certain degree?

I don't know about flammable, I think so, but definitely extraordinarily toxic in the strangest ways. Think tasting chlorine for the rest of your life, as well as total renal failure.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.

Cakefool posted:

I don't know about flammable, I think so, but definitely extraordinarily toxic in the strangest ways. Think tasting chlorine for the rest of your life, as well as total renal failure.

Wasn't there a post somewhere on the forums where a guy was doing some hot welding and used brake cleaner before welding. One time he didn't let the cleaner evaporate and started welding ontop of it and he inhaled a bit of the fumes. Few days later he had major liver and kidney damage as well as severely incapacitated, all due to him inhaling just a bit.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

pacheco posted:

Wasn't there a post somewhere on the forums where a guy was doing some hot welding and used brake cleaner before welding. One time he didn't let the cleaner evaporate and started welding ontop of it and he inhaled a bit of the fumes. Few days later he had major liver and kidney damage as well as severely incapacitated, all due to him inhaling just a bit.

Yep. Apparently that poo poo turns into phosgene when burned at a certain temp. or something.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

Yep. Apparently that poo poo turns into phosgene when burned at a certain temp. or something.

R-12 and R-22 also decompose into phosgene when burned. They teach you to be careful around that poo poo in fire school. Car fires are so routine and easy to back away from you get tempted to not bother with the SCBA. Until you remember the whole phosgene thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

pacheco posted:

Yes, tetrachloroethylene, argon and heat gives you phosgene.

Carbon tetrachloride can also produce phosgene at temperature, which is unfortunate, as it used to be used for fire extinguishers...

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Motronic posted:

R-12 and R-22 also decompose into phosgene when burned. They teach you to be careful around that poo poo in fire school. Car fires are so routine and easy to back away from you get tempted to not bother with the SCBA. Until you remember the whole phosgene thing.

I will certainly remember that, because I did not know that until now.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

RapeWhistle posted:

This had the great makings of a Darwin Award.

"Oh poo poo, I just breathed in a horrendously toxic substance maybe I should go to the hospital ... nah gently caress it I'll be ok. It'll pass after after a good night's sleep :cool:"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

greg_graffin posted:

This had the great makings of a Darwin Award.

"Oh poo poo, I just breathed in a horrendously toxic substance maybe I should go to the hospital ... nah gently caress it I'll be ok. It'll pass after after a good night's sleep :cool:"

He has a point though. A lot of people don't see things like brake cleaner as excessively dangerous, merely as slightly irritating when it gets on your skin. The gist of our poorly thought assumptions equate to nothing more than "don't drink it hurf durf :downs:". I'm not defending the dude but the education about these products is really lacking.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 14, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
You can't even buy chlorinated brake cleaner in a lot of states anymore, and most parts stores don't even carry it in the states that do. It's not really a thing to worry about anymore.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Lowclock posted:

You can't even buy chlorinated brake cleaner in a lot of states anymore, and most parts stores don't even carry it in the states that do. It's not really a thing to worry about anymore.

I have no problem getting it at any of the parts stores here in LOUISIANA.

Does the chlorinated stuff work any better than the non-chlorinated?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

RapeWhistle posted:

I have no problem getting it at any of the parts stores here in LOUISIANA.

Does the chlorinated stuff work any better than the non-chlorinated?

Yes. Clorinated cleaner is a more aggressive solvent, cleans brake dust better and evaporates faster. Also, kills wasps faster than anything else.

Too bad about that whole phosgene thing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

RapeWhistle posted:

Assuming what I had read is true, it's not the heat, but the UV radiation that turns chlorinated cleaners into phosgene. But OSHA mentions intense heat, so maybe it's both.

[quote="OSHA Office of Training and Education
May 1996
]

PHOSGENE

Phosgene is formed by decomposition of chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents by ultraviolet radiation. It reacts with moisture in the lungs to produce hydrogen chloride, which in turn destroys lung tissue. For this reason, any use of chlorinated solvents should be well away from welding operations or any operation in which ultraviolet radiation or intense heat is generated.
[/quote]

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

He has a point though.
I can completely understand that he assumed it was merely a surface irritant before the incident.

In the article he said immediately after he inhaled it he did some research and found out just how toxic it was. It blows my mind that after reading that he still said, "meh, gently caress it."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

greg_graffin posted:

I can completely understand that he assumed it was merely a surface irritant before the incident.

In the article he said immediately after he inhaled it he did some research and found out just how toxic it was. It blows my mind that after reading that he still said, "meh, gently caress it."

True, that was astoundingly stupid.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

greg_graffin posted:

Men (speaking as a man) are loving stupid about stuff like this. We figure if we can still walk, talk, and breathe everything is fine and we'll get over it.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

nm posted:

Men (speaking as a man) are loving stupid about stuff like this. We figure if we can still walk, talk, and breathe everything is fine and we'll get over it.

As a fellow man, if I ever inhale something whose use is considered a war crime in quantities well above LD50, I would go see a doctor. Actually, I'd call an ambulance and then a loved one.

I know we're all dumb, but we're not all that dumb.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Captain Postal posted:

As a fellow man, if I ever inhale something whose use is considered a war crime in quantities well above LD50, I would go see a doctor. Actually, I'd call an ambulance and then a loved one.

I know we're all dumb, but we're not all that dumb.

He probably assumed that if it was bad he'd have noticed.
This was a few years ago and the internet wasn't quite as well populated and it might not have noted that phosgene poisoning is slow.
Or he could be dumber than average.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
How does a significant amount of extremely low vapor pressure solvent not evaporate well before the guy's weld bead gets to it? And why did his phosgene poisoning not exhibit symptoms of phosgene poisoning? Where's the pulmonary edema within 48 hours? Where they gently caress did his kidneys come from? This guy's story has never made any sense.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ratbert90 posted:

Sure, because going 33 in a 35 at a constant speed is super unpredictable.

Congrats for being one of the few who drive under the speed limit and isn't drunk/blind/geriatric/braking for hallucinations? Doesn't change the fact that driving under the prevailing speed of traffic makes things more dangerous for everyone else.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
If the prevailing speed of traffic was 33 in a 35 zone, I think there'd be more road rage incidents.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I was around the 300 foot line and my vision went blurry when they went past. It went so far beyond sound and became an elemental force. It was honestly the closest I've felt to a legitimate religious exerience and I wept because of it. God only knows what one letting go would sound like.

This is back a bunch, but yeah, Top Fuel engines are very loud when they explode.

A fun game to play is to see what part flies the farthest, you'd be surprised.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

the poi posted:

How does a significant amount of extremely low vapor pressure solvent not evaporate well before the guy's weld bead gets to it?

:science:

UV radiation travels at the speed of light. Under the right circumstances significant amounts of UV radiation could potentially reach a solvent-soaked part of metal being welded before the temperature of the metal increased enough to evaporate 100% of the solvent.

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011

thelightguy posted:

Congrats for being one of the few who drive under the speed limit and isn't drunk/blind/geriatric/braking for hallucinations? Doesn't change the fact that driving under the prevailing speed of traffic makes things more dangerous for everyone else.

I drive the speed limit (35) where it's not uncommon to be passed by someone doing 45+.

Though the main reason I actually follow it is I know the cops will randomly ticket people in this area for going over 35. Plus I'm curious why people would speed directly in front of a police station.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Or you know, since 99.9% of the time people speeding around me/weaving in and out of traffic just gets them to the stop sign/light faster.

I would think that texting while driving/talking on the cell phone while driving/speeding/weaving in and out of traffic are all worse offences than going slightly slower than the limit.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

slower than the limit.
Yes, limit. That means you have to go at least that fast :colbert:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I would think that texting while driving/talking on the cell phone while driving/speeding/weaving in and out of traffic are all worse offences than going slightly slower than the limit.

Distracted driving is a serious hazard. Driving slower than the prevailing speed of traffic is also a serious hazard. Granted, it doesn't matter as much in urban settings, but it's still not something to brag about.

And please, we all know that the "limit" is a farce, and most cops won't ticket until you're doing 5-10+ over.

Regarding speeding:

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/faq posted:

Q. Isn't slower always safer?
A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to research, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are more likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

corgski fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 14, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Distracted driving is a serious hazard. Driving slower than the prevailing speed of traffic is also a serious hazard. Granted, it doesn't matter as much in urban settings, but it's still not something to brag about.

And please, we all know that the "limit" is a farce, and most cops won't ticket until you're doing 5-10+ over.

Regarding speeding:

Most cops. I don't want to have a cop pull me over for going 3 over. It's happened before.

From your own quote it uses the adverb significantly; EX: 10- the speed limit. 2 under is not a valid definition of significantly.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Actually, that quote was about you saying that speeding was more dangerous than driving under the prevailing speed, not about the degree of difference. Anyway, if people are really blowing your doors off every time you drive that stretch, you're going more than 2 under the prevailing speed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Actually, that quote was about you saying that speeding was more dangerous than driving under the prevailing speed, not about the degree of difference. Anyway, if people are really blowing your doors off every time you drive that stretch, you're going more than 2 under the prevailing speed.

No, people are really loving impatient. If the GPS says I am going 33 in a 35, I am going 33. Furthermore, I try to stay in the right lane as much as possible on all roads and I speed up to 5+ over to pass if I catch up to someone. People tailgating me for inconveniencing them in their head, not in reality are the problem, because at that point they get outraged and tailgate and blare the horn.

It is not my fault people are angry, that is their fault and their fault only.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

No, people are really loving impatient. If the GPS says I am going 33 in a 35, I am going 33.

I believe you when you say you're going 33, but I bet money everyone else is going closer to 45 than 35. The limit is irrelevant, prevailing speed is what matters.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

pacheco posted:

The topic is brake fluid, not brake cleaner.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thelightguy posted:

I believe you when you say you're going 33, but I bet money everyone else is going closer to 45 than 35. The limit is irrelevant, prevailing speed is what matters.

In Boise it's closer to 40 than 45. And again, 99% of the time I catch up to them and wave because all they have done is waste more gas and get to the stop light/sign faster than me.