Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Mutato posted:

The Kingsguard have white armor in the books, however.

It's also mentioned that Jaime uses his Lannister armor for unofficial stuff (eg, confronting Ned in the first book).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I always thought Sandor had blatant plot armour until he fights his brother. Hell, his new gravedigging career is predicate upon such things as his brother being dead.

Also, how much of a chews-on-dead-babies mental does everyone think Rickon is these days?

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
It's gonna be fun to finally hear from Rickon again. But that reminds me: what the hell was up with ending Davos' storyline less than halfway through the book, then never so much as mentioning him again? Once again we have a storyline that only needed ONE more chapter to end at a good spot. Land him on Skagos and end with him getting ambushed by Rickon and Shaggydog or something. ANYTHING.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

It's gonna be fun to finally hear from Rickon again. But that reminds me: what the hell was up with ending Davos' storyline less than halfway through the book, then never so much as mentioning him again? Once again we have a storyline that only needed ONE more chapter to end at a good spot. Land him on Skagos and end with him getting ambushed by Rickon and Shaggydog or something. ANYTHING.

Nope, GRRM only builds suspense by having ridiculous cliff hangers.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
I like the way people in the book series use the word niggard only when there are no Summer Islanders around.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Not really, any stopping point short of having Davos bring Rickon back to White Harbour would have felt at least as unsatisfactory.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I'm feeling pretty :psyduck: here. I just finished Dance and I don't remember reading anything like what people are saying about Sandor on the last page. I thought the last time he was seen in the books was after Ayra leaves him to die?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Crackbone posted:

I'm feeling pretty :psyduck: here. I just finished Dance and I don't remember reading anything like what people are saying about Sandor on the last page. I thought the last time he was seen in the books was after Ayra leaves him to die?
There is a fairly common theory that Sandor survived and now is the large monk with a limp on the island Brienne visited.

I personally believe that he is the monk, but that he has played his role in the story and won't come back to fight Robert Strong or whatever.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Kainser posted:

There is a fairly common theory that Sandor survived and now is the large monk with a limp on the island Brienne visited.

I personally believe that he is the monk, but that he has played his role in the story and won't come back to fight Robert Strong or whatever.

Yeah, we never found a body and the head monk said that "the hound died" but did not mention Sandor specifically or something like that. Sandor was probably my favorite character, I sort of hope he comes back at some point, though it would far too cliche for him to be the one that slays Zombie Gregor.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah to add to Brinks, the monk makes a point of saying that the Hound died. Then he leads you to believe that he means that the Hound died spiritually and was reborn in their monastic order. Did anyone save an excerpt from that novel called SANDOR. It was in one of the older threads.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

oogyboogs posted:

I like the way people in the book series use the word niggard only when there are no Summer Islanders around.

That word does not have the root you think.

Also "armored like the sun" could apply to a member of House Martell. Oberyn didn't wear plate armor though...

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

While I lean more heavily towards the "armored like the sun" dude being, for whatever inconceivable reason, Jamie, it does leave the option open for a dornishman. Though the only warrior left alive with any real grudge against Clegane is Obara, and she's chasing Darkstar.

An alternative theory IMO is that that dream wasn't limited to one time period. A great deal is made about the time traveling nature of greenseeing, perhaps that was a composite dream. Sandor fought Clegane at the tournament, Oberyn at Tyrion's trial, and now he's a headless golem. Taken like that, all the points of the dream have come to pass.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

A freak hurricane takes him to Mereen, where he is promptly roasted by the green dragon flying around free.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

So Winds of Winter will take place after a 5 or so year jump right? Meaning Bran will be roughly the age Robb was at the start of AGoT and Rickon will be Bran's age at the same period.

And also that either Jon Snow's resurrection will have occurred in the past or he'll have been dead for 5 years. So if it's the latter he probably isn't just waking up and going "where am I?".

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

oogyboogs posted:

From the book

"There were shadows all around them[the Starks]. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood."

I don't see why this needs to be interpreted as representing an event that may happen five books later in the plot. This quote specifically positions these characters against the Starks, suggesting the immediate circumstances of the first novel, not some point in the distant future when there are no living Starks in King's Landing.

Jaime and the Hound were both imposing figures that brought harm to the Starks. Jaime tossed Bran and would attack Ned, the Hound terrorized Arya and Sansa. A headless giant with stone armor can be interpreted as a kingdom without a leader, or as a dead king, and the chaos and vulnerability that results of his death.

It all deals with the events of the first novel.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

So Winds of Winter will take place after a 5 or so year jump right?
Eh? I thought AFFC/ADWD were supposed to cover what happened during the 5YG, and now we can get on with the second half of the story. The whole reason they were written was because GRRM tried jumping the timeline ahead by five years, and found out he couldn't - because he'd have to tell the story of what every single character had been up to over the last five years, and it would have to be told in-story because of the POV structure, and the result was so full of flashbacks and clumsy exposition that he said "you know what? it'd be easier just to write the story of what happened during the gap as a novel" which ended up taking two novels and ten years.

The problem is that AFFC/ADWD took place over less than five years, so we end up having all the children's growth that was to take place over the 5YG (Dany's dragons, Sam's maestering, Bran's warging, Arya's ninja training, Jon's transformation of the Watch, etc.) compressed into what seemed like eighteen months or so - which doesn't bode well for the coherence of the concluding novels.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Though the only warrior left alive with any real grudge against Clegane is Obara, and she's chasing Darkstar.
A daunting task, I'm sure.

I've said it before, but the Sand Snakes are the characters I most want to see kicking rear end in WoW. Every single one of them has got "AWESOME" written all over.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Obara is just chasing Darkstar to get the kingsguard killed, and to recruit Darkstar to the cause. You want the most dangerous man in Dorne, if not all of Westeros, on your side in a fight.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

FMguru posted:

Eh? I thought AFFC/ADWD were supposed to cover what happened during the 5YG, and now we can get on with the second half of the story. The whole reason they were written was because GRRM tried jumping the timeline ahead by five years, and found out he couldn't - because he'd have to tell the story of what every single character had been up to over the last five years, and it would have to be told in-story because of the POV structure, and the result was so full of flashbacks and clumsy exposition that he said "you know what? it'd be easier just to write the story of what happened during the gap as a novel" which ended up taking two novels and ten years.

The problem is that AFFC/ADWD took place over less than five years, so we end up having all the children's growth that was to take place over the 5YG (Dany's dragons, Sam's maestering, Bran's warging, Arya's ninja training, Jon's transformation of the Watch, etc.) compressed into what seemed like eighteen months or so - which doesn't bode well for the coherence of the concluding novels.

It's far from perfect, but I'm glad he didn't jump forward five years after ASOS. Just imagine how retarded the flashbacks would have been for books 4 and 5. he would have jumped into flashback at cliffhangers, I'm sure. For example:

quote:

Jon and Sam watched in horror from the battlements of Winterfell as 50,000 Dothraki screamers, led by the three huge dragons and a pirate with a flaming red arm, advanced on the mighty fortress.

Jon sighed and patted Sam on the shoulder. "Well, it could be worse. Remember that time when the Night Watch stabbed me a dozen times and I had to switch bodies into that corpse?"

Sam remembered it well. It has taken him years to get used to the strange, short, bald-headed man next to him as being Jon Snow. Sometimes he wasn't so sure.

The dragons roared as they approached, but Sam's mind drifted back to the Wall, to that day... [cue 500 page flashback]

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Argali posted:

It's far from perfect, but I'm glad he didn't jump forward five years after ASOS. Just imagine how retarded the flashbacks would have been for books 4 and 5. he would have jumped into flashback at cliffhangers, I'm sure. For example:
Yep, the book after ASOS was shaping up to be like one of those budget-saving sitcom flashback episodes, where half the cast is stuck in a room somewhere and they say "hey, remember that time when we..." followed by the screen wavering and a clip from a previous show.

I guess GRRM got halfway through writing that book, realized that it wasn't working at all, binned it, and started writing AFFC - which is why that book was so late, and why so little seemed to happen in it. The original plan was for it (and ADWD) to cover a time period which was so boring that it was going to be skipped over entirely.

I didn't mind the "not much happened" issue with AFFC/ADWD. What I did mind was getting 1900 pages of not much happened, spread over ten years.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, it's probably for the better that he didn't do that 5-year skip, even though it will lead to silly stuff like (I assume) Sam forging his chain and Arya becoming a master assassin in a year and other timecompressed stuff.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Obara is just chasing Darkstar to get the kingsguard killed, and to recruit Darkstar to the cause. You want the most dangerous man in Dorne, if not all of Westeros, on your side in a fight.
I for one would be happy to have the dude whose only notable accomplishment in the books is that he failed to kill a 10 year old girl by my side in battle.

e; I might have been okay with Darkstar if GRRM had actually mentioned something that would realistically make him considered the most dangerous man in Dorne. But no, it's all 'I am of the night'.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 14, 2011

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

Yeah, seriously - gently caress Darkstar. I think there's even a point in the book where someone laughs at his name, which is how I felt the whole time he was on screen. We have absolutely nothing to go on to make him the 'most dangerous man' in Dorne or Westeros, other than the fact that the badass Dorne think he's badass.

If there's one man I want in a fight next to me, that's Areo Hotah, Kingsguardslayer.

Mr.Brinks fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 14, 2011

Lester B. Pearson
Jul 4, 2007

Free Marc Emery
and all other
political prisoners!
Well he was related to Arthur Dayne, who was supposed to be one of the best knights, so maybe his reputation rubs off on the Dark Star?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Lester B. Pearson posted:

Well he was related to Arthur Dayne, who was supposed to be one of the best knights, so maybe his reputation rubs off on the Dark Star?

He actually has the stones to throw a tantrum about it in AFFC:

"Why is it that all people talk about is my cousin? Just because he was worthy of wielding Dawn and wearing a Kingsguard cloak, was a first-rate tourney fighter, personally defeated the Smiling Knight, was a just man loved both by the smallfolk and Prince Rhaegar, and faced a honourable death performing his Kingsguard duty to the last, while all I've been doing is working on this totally edgy hairstyle. It's not FAIR!!!! :cry:"

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

To be fair, it seems to be a common point of bitching for nobles living in the shadow of some great relative or other. He could very well be just as dangerous as Arthur Dayne but not really have done much because he lived in a peaceful time where the king was just whoring and loving and not noticing his kids were the offspring of his wife and her brother.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Not really, any stopping point short of having Davos bring Rickon back to White Harbour would have felt at least as unsatisfactory.

I would've been content with a single Skagos chapter, as long as it included the requisite cannibals astride shaggy goat-like unicorns.

At this point I envision Skagos as being something like Fort Lauderdale during spring break, substituting cannibals and unicorns for the frat boys and scantily clad co-eds. Davos may have difficulty persuading Rickon to leave. We know from Bran's visions that Shaggydog is having the time of his life.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

MeerkatHero posted:

I would've been content with a single Skagos chapter, as long as it included the requisite cannibals astride shaggy goat-like unicorns.

At this point I envision Skagos as being something like Fort Lauderdale during spring break, substituting cannibals and unicorns for the frat boys and scantily clad co-eds. Davos may have difficulty persuading Rickon to leave. We know from Bran's visions that Shaggydog is having the time of his life.

Well I think we have found the guy to finish the story if GRRM croaks.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Quentyn proposes to Dany and she laughs in his face. Why does she and Barristan both deny this happened later on? Seemed oddly specific to me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iggles posted:

Quentyn proposes to Dany and she laughs in his face. Why does she and Barristan both deny this happened later on? Seemed oddly specific to me.

Because Dany is stupid and probably at least a little insane, and Barristan is loyal to a fault.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Iggles posted:

Doesn't she laugh because he's a metaphorical frog turning into a prince, and that's more than slightly different than laughing at him for a ridiculous proposition?

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
"Fools and young girls will always choose fire"

Daenerys :argh:

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Caufman posted:

Doesn't she laugh because he's a metaphorical frog turning into a prince, and that's more than slightly different than laughing at him for a ridiculous proposition?

Pretty much. So the poor guys goes from people calling him a frog, to a princess laughing in his face, to getting burned to a crisp by rampaging dragons. Oh GRRM.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
I thought that Quentyn was a nice contrast to Dany. They were both around the same age, but he was much more mature and serious minded then she was. They should have named his POV chapters "THE MAN-MAID" after Gerris called him that. That poo poo was too funny.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
I'm not sure trying to steal dragons to prove your worth to the dragon queen is a sign of great maturity.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
He wasn't trying to prove his worth to Daenerys, he wanted to prove his worth to Dorne and his father.

His plan was still kinda poo poo, but what can you do. He was desperate.

e; I think that one of the reasons that I like Dorne so much is that the Martells don't use their sigil to describe themselves all the time. Sure, there are some mentions of suns and spears, but it always makes sense in context. Unlike the other houses who can't stop talking about wolves, lions, rivers and fishes, dragons, flowers and Krakens. Maybe it's not a coincidence that I also like the Baratheons who very rarely talk about stags.

e2; And the Arryns I guess, but we've only seen one Arryn and he's 9 and half-mad. For all we know Jon Arryn might have loved pulling Falcon-metaphors out of his rear end all the time.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 14, 2011

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Blind Melon posted:

I'm not sure trying to steal dragons to prove your worth to the dragon queen is a sign of great maturity.

I'll bet had Dany turned out to be ugly, Quentyn still would have done his best to win her to his cause for the sake of his people. Dany on the other hand only cares about gold teeth and strange dick. She's the Paris Hilton of Westeros.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
So does no one give any serious consideration to that lord on the Sisters who told Davos Jon's mother was a fisherman's daughter? I mean, why would he lie? And it really made it stick out to me every time Stannis or someone said that Jon haggles like a fishwife.

I really, really hope that GRRM pulled a 180 on the secret Targ thing there, if only out of bloody-mindedness.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005

well you see, jon is actually ghost warged in the dead body of brandon the builder, so his mother really died when he was a pup.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Doubt it. NYT did a piece on Ser Martin and the TV show a while ago, and the showrunners said that Martin made them answer a question about the parentage of one of the main characters of the book.

^ this was to mogadishu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Yeah, and in a Sean Bean interview about the GOT series he basically confirmed that the dark secret that Ned was hiding was the parentage of Jon Snow.