Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

ZeeToo posted:

You guys are all seriously touting the benefits of not shooting up giant robots with lasers. :colbert:
Giant robot politics is cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
If he's asking for Hegira, then he's admitting that he can't win and asking to take his surviving warriors and withdraw.

I say the ComGuard should take the deal. The ComGuard's proven that both their front line and second line forces all fight like tanks...

But, you may still salvage some reputation out of this: that the ComGuard won't play by any RoE rules (except maybe Steiner Rules, because Steiner Rules rock), but still respect other honor rules (such as hegira, safecon, etcetera.)

Plus, the Clanners you downed but didn't smear over the countryside would be Bondsmen. So ComStar can start interrogating them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh poor Mr Ed. Someone get the shotgun.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Alright I'm officially saying that we should take this deal and my Flashman's turn isn't going to involve shooting.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

The thing that's bugging me about this offer is he's already declared that we're to be treated as tanks.

Why should we trust that he'll honor his word when he's already decided that we're not worthy of honor?

Dude there are varying levels of not adhering to zell, and "using focused fire and other sound tactics" is not at all in the same league with "offering a truce and then reneging on your word". :cmon:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Also if they do that then after we win anyway we can use the HPG station to send a recording of a goddamn star colonel requesting hegira and then backstabbing us to everywhere and make a mockery of the entire clan.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Boner Slam posted:

I think the issue here is that the clans have ample amount of great pilots and mechs, while the inner sphere has a lot of soldiers and maybe tanks (and more people in general) but not nearly as many mechs percentage wise.

This is very true - the only wrinkle is the amount of 'a lot'. By conservative estimates, the IS outnumbers the Clans by twenty to one. By the Field Manual era (which is probably the most reliable measure), the Clans are roughly fielding around 2000 trinaries of combat units. That's combined mechs, elementals, armor and aerospace - around 30,000 units total, including their PGCs. The Combine alone weighs in with 247 regiment-equivalents - around 26,000 combat units, and their total does NOT count planetary militias or mercenary forces.

There are very literally more mercenary battlemechs in the IS than there are Clan combat units in both the invasion force AND the homeworlds. The Clans have a higher percentage of mechs, but they're hideously outnumbered from the get-go. The best they can get is local superiority and even that unreliably.

quote:

2. The Clans have logistic support and intelligence. It is rarely mentioned in the books but for every lovely warrior they have they will have scores of techs and even clanwatch intelligence people, hell they even do research.
I think it's just never really mentioned because it is boring.

Ah, but it is mentioned. Clan Watch operations are detailed in the Guide to Covert Ops and the Intelligence Operations Handbook. The articles in both of which can be summarized as 'these guys are a complete joke'. Intel Ops repeatedly comments that the Clans didn't even bother using their intelligence assets until after they had been repeatedly been schooled by the various IS agencies. Direct quote: "Clan intelligence did not exist prior to the invasion of the Inner Sphere in 3049." Covert Ops describes it as "Underfunded, ill-equipped, ill-maintained, and ill-trained for the duties of intelligence gathering and analysis".

As for their logistics - even by the 3080s, there are still invading Clans who are shipping in all their war material from the Homeworlds. And these are the same warriors who assaulted Tukayyid without bothering to bring reloads for their ballistic weapons.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Star Colonel Grier Seidman, I hereby claim you as my bondsman. :colbert:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gothsheep posted:

You can't claim the star colonel, you can however claim Mr. Ed (the clanner who tripped and triple critted himself taking out his engine and gyro in one swoop)

Please do not go firing on the clanners, let them leave in defeat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hegira's well that ends well. I presume accepting the offer counts as Defeating the Clanners for the purposes of the scenario and that you can claim the fallen as your own. However that works.

Here's to not shooting, charging, kicking, punching, or Mario'ing any of the Clanners your next turn. If they renege, you've still got a good chance by these odds to make them pay--and make sure that word of their treachery reaches everybody and everybody.

Ball's in your court, GoonLevelII.

(That really doesn't have quite the same ring as "Goonlance." Or even, heavens forbid, "Goonstar.")

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Gothsheep posted:

Don't do this.

Tempest_56 posted:

Ah, but it is mentioned. Clan Watch operations are detailed in the Guide to Covert Ops and the Intelligence Operations Handbook. The articles in both of which can be summarized as 'these guys are a complete joke'. Intel Ops repeatedly comments that the Clans didn't even bother using their intelligence assets until after they had been repeatedly been schooled by the various IS agencies. Direct quote: "Clan intelligence did not exist prior to the invasion of the Inner Sphere in 3049." Covert Ops describes it as "Underfunded, ill-equipped, ill-maintained, and ill-trained for the duties of intelligence gathering and analysis".

The Clan Watch is emphatically worse than SAFE or Mimir. Mimir belongs to a state that barely exists, and SAFE is basically the Keystone Cops of IS intel services. That's how terrible the Watch was.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
To be fare to SAFE, they did kill Stefan Amaris's grandson, about five hundred years too late for it to matter.

VVV "Those who excel earn a name. Those who achieve expectations get killed in glorious battle. Those who can't achieve expectations become second line. Those who simply can't join the Watch."

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 14, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

The Clan Watch is emphatically worse than SAFE or Mimir. Mimir belongs to a state that barely exists, and SAFE is basically the Keystone Cops of IS intel services. That's how terrible the Watch was.

SAFE are a professional, competent intelligence service that is competing in a pool of ridiculously good ones. They're by far the worst Great House intel organization, but that's because they're competing with some of the absolute best operators in those fields.

Clan Watch doesn't even rate.

As a rough analogy, if SAFE's operations record was compared to say, the CIA, or MI5, it'd probably look about as good, if not better, than either organization. Clan Watch would cause the CIA in its worst days when it was trying to assassinate Castro with exploding cigars burst out in laughter and go "no matter how low we sink, we'll at least be better than them".

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I assume Clan intelligence basically involves stomping around town in a 50 ton mech with a fake mustache asking about government secrets?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

I assume Clan intelligence basically involves stomping around town in a 50 ton mech with a fake mustache asking about government secrets?

The Watch is more... counter-intelligence. They're around to try to keep the Diamond Shark's Jade Falcon's merchants from trading with the Inner Sphere for toys and consumer luxury junk that will weaken Clan society.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

a 50 ton mech with a fake mustache

You might not realize exactly what you've done this day, but know that you have done well. Thank you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clan Intelligence is basically telling the populace "We're totally not the bad guys, tell us your secrets! Also if you lie to us we'll murder the poo poo out of you."

[EDIT] Actually, remember that episode of The Simpsons where Homer is a spy for the IRS? He's running laps around their best agent.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

The way Clan Intelligence works is, this guy

marches up to you and declares a Trial of Posession for all your secrets. Then he whales on you until you decide he has won the trial and tell him all your secrets.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Sam Hall posted:

marches up to you and declares a Trial of Posession for all your secrets. Then he whales on you until you decide he has won the trial and tell him all your secrets.

See, in the Inner Sphere they tie you to a chair first.

Waterboarding is LosTech.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sam Hall posted:

He always seemed more suited to a pie-eating contest ToP, honestly.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Don't accept the offer. This is war and you have this fight won anyway. Play pretend-honorable with some other faction you wannabe clanners. This is comstar where we ruthlessly assassinate researchers, plot to take over the world and we don't have any honor anyway!

Besides it'll be way more interesting if every faction doesn't react the same way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ruthless doesn't equate to strategically retarded.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
We want the HPG. They're giving us the HPG without wasting Blake blessed Mechs.

What's not to love about that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clantech salvage makes everyone but the Clans happy.

So please don't do something silly like accepting their offer and claiming the ponymech and hunchie as salvage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gentlemen! I have stolen your jokes and added them to pictures. Along with some of my horrible, horrible handwriting. I hope you do not mind.

When asked why she would take a suicidally under-armored 50-tonner on a daring raid straight into the heart of enemy territory only to retreat empty-handed after harassing three politicians, a used car salesman, two ice cream shoppes, a former pop star turned C-list daytime celebrity talk show host, and an overdressed assault 'Mech, Star Colonel Bethany Cochraine had but a simple reply.

"Indeed! I failed. But just imagine the honor I would have won had I not decided to gently caress right off. Also, gently caress AtlasCop. No, seriously, gently caress that guy."

Despite my dislike of the Clans, I keep drawing them. But no matter how much I get wrong or outright ignore about Battletech canon, know that I will never, ever forget to draw a sausage vest when it is relevant. For the curious, the "let's see the errors and sloppiness in all their glory" version is here.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Brilliant.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Gentlemen! I have stolen your jokes and added them to pictures. Along with some of my horrible, horrible handwriting. I hope you do not mind.

When asked why she would take a suicidally under-armored 50-tonner on a daring raid straight into the heart of enemy territory only to retreat empty-handed after harassing three politicians, a used car salesman, two ice cream shoppes, a former pop star turned C-list daytime celebrity talk show host, and an overdressed assault 'Mech, Star Colonel Bethany Cochraine had but a simple reply.

"Indeed! I failed. But just imagine the honor I would have won had I not decided to gently caress right off. Also, gently caress AtlasCop. No, seriously, gently caress that guy."

Despite my dislike of the Clans, I keep drawing them. But no matter how much I get wrong or outright ignore about Battletech canon, know that I will never, ever forget to draw a sausage vest when it is relevant. For the curious, the "let's see the errors and sloppiness in all their glory" version is here.

I love this so much...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I love your Aldo Lestrade.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jeeze, I love all the little details in this--the Steel Viper symbol on the playing card in the Hunchback's hat; the dress shirt and vest that simply end in a cooling vest; the moustache on the Steel Viper Neurohelmet, the Atlas' Muttonchops... this is pure gold. XD

T. G., you get pick the Inner Sphere name for a Clan 'Mech; because that's just plain drat amazing.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AtlasCop is seriously the best law enforcement officer ever. and the way the helmet popped up when it blew the whistle, perfection.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am glad I managed to entertain! Thank you guys so much, my hand's all sore again but to give a good chuckle is worth it.

I started on the comic the INSTANT I saw GruntyThrst's post and just kept drawing non-stop, accidentally pulling an all-nighter in the process. Sometimes a mental picture gets posted that I just can't resist. But writing without contractions don't come natural, no sir.

On specific topics I can comment on:

KnoxZone posted:

I love your Aldo Lestrade

I'm really glad sarna's there to help out with the little details like that. Though I can't help but wonder if the official Aldo happens to be another one of Battletech's "based on a celebrity" portrait.

PoptartsNinja posted:

(Kind things)

I'm also really glad that shoving all the miniature throwaway gags in worked out well! Was almost afraid the whole thing'd be too "busy" and that it'd hurt the comedy. I try to put in a lot of attention to detail, at least where I think it counts.

AtomikKrab posted:

AtlasCop

I know! He's the best constable. Another one of those little details: AtlasCop has a beardstache.

Now I'd better get some rest.

EDIT: Er, yes, nevermind. I guess all of the facial hair was spotted. Ahem. My work is done here.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 15, 2011

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Bobby Atlas is truly the greatest constable of our times.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Oh wow. The comic was awesome. Good work, really :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

T. G., you get pick the Inner Sphere name for a Clan 'Mech; because that's just plain drat amazing.

So much for resting! This is gonna keep me up. But! Has anyone named the Dire Wolf?

I think it's a fantastic machine but I hate every name the Combine gives to Clan 'Mechs. And I'm not just saying that to make myself look like less of a weeaboo.

EDITS: VVVVV Really? Then I truly am mistaken. But Daishi is still a horrid name.

Also I'll try to have a new name by the next time I return.

Runa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 14, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

T.G. Xarbala posted:

So much for resting! This is gonna keep me up. But! Has anyone named the Dire Wolf?

I think it's a fantastic machine but I hate every name the Combine gives to Clan 'Mechs. And I'm not just saying that to make myself look like less of a weeaboo.
No, see, you're wrong, because the Draconis Combine named the Cauldron Born :colbert:

vvv Cauldron Bros

Usual Barb fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 14, 2011

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I dunno the Cauldron Born is a pretty good name I thought, certainly better than the Ebon Jaguar. That said most of the rest of the DC's names are pretty bad.

^^^ beaten drat you

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

EDITS: VVVVV Really? Then I truly am mistaken. But Daishi is still a horrid name.

Also I'll try to have a new name by the next time I return.

I endorse anything that gets us to "less Japanese names in common usage". Especially if the replacements are good. So the Dire Wolf (Daishi), Stormcrow (Ryoken), Mist Lynx (Koshi) etc would be awesome ones to rename. And that comic made me chortle. Fabulous.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

I endorse anything that gets us to "less Japanese names in common usage". Especially if the replacements are good. So the Dire Wolf (Daishi), Stormcrow (Ryoken), Mist Lynx (Koshi) etc would be awesome ones to rename. And that comic made me chortle. Fabulous.

For some reason calling a Warhawk a Masakari has always upset me greatly. No mech deserves a better name than this one.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I'd just like to chime in endorsing Atlas Cop, too. He's just awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jeeze, I love all the little details in this--the Steel Viper symbol on the playing card in the Hunchback's hat; the dress shirt and vest that simply end in a cooling vest; the moustache on the Steel Viper Neurohelmet, the Atlas' Muttonchops... this is pure gold. XD

That was...amazing.

As for the topic of the game...There's still a giant fuckoff warship orbiting the planet, right? If say if they're asking permission to leave the planet peacefully, we say yes.

• Locked thread