Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

I've had the opportunity to fly BA business class twice now, and while it's still flying and it's not exactly something pleasant that you'd jump at the chance to do, this sort of exchange makes an 18-hour flight go by a lot faster:

"Would you like some wine?"
"Yes, I'll have the malbec."
"Would you like more wine?"
"Yes please."
"Yes please.
"Yes please."
"Yes please.
"Yes please."
(repeat as necessary)

Going through customs messed up on wine is tons of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
AF has some passable cognac that they give out in quantity if you ask nicely in coach.

Either that or the attendant thought I was cute.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AF has some passable cognac that they give out in quantity if you ask nicely in coach.

Either that or the attendant thought I was cute.

KLM has a rad as hell dessert wine that is super-sweet and awesome for washing down weird-rear end Dutch food; they also have "genever," and give you a little ceramic house of the stuff if you're in WBC.

Delta has Woodford Reserve, the best of all airplane bourbon; they also have Glenlivet 12, which is quite decent. Make sure you you specify "neat without ice," because the FAs aren't bartenders and don't know what "neat" means.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
CRAZY NAZI poo poo: MAN PORTABLE HELICOPTERS

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

BonzoESC posted:

CRAZY NAZI poo poo: MAN PORTABLE HELICOPTERS

Why didn't you include pictures of the last remaining Ho 229? It was right there!

edit: unless they moved it to another facility, in which case the Ar 234 would have substituted nicely!

Also: that second helicopter was meant to be towed behind a submarine. Like a kite. With a guy in in. I guess that makes it an autogyro.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boomerjinks posted:

Why didn't you include pictures of the last remaining Ho 229? It was right there!

edit: unless they moved it to another facility, in which case the Ar 234 would have substituted nicely!

Photos are from 2008, no idea why!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Ah, well. Fair nuff!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It never ceases to amaze me how crazy the Nazis were.

If that helicopter/submarine thing had a chance to develop, you know they would have strapped rockets on both of them.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Boomerjinks posted:

Also: that second helicopter was meant to be towed behind a submarine. Like a kite. With a guy in in. I guess that makes it an autogyro.
I took a couple shots in that gallery as well:

Fw-190F and Ar 234B on the floor, Ho HIIIf hung above.

Bonus Do335A-1:

grover fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 13, 2011

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't care how inefficient that pusher prop on the Arrow was, its such a loving awesome design.

And I secretly think delays, ESPECIALLY delays when I'm traveling for work, are just the greatest. I generally only have a small carry-on, so delays are a great excuse to not worry about a thing and get schlammered at a Home Turf or Gordon Biersch or TGI Friday's, or whatever the hell they have. I've met a lot of genuinely interesting people at airport bars.

When the whole airport is on delay, like at San Fran for fog (CONSTANTLY) or Reagan for thunderstorms (CONSTANTLY), counting the number of people falling down drunk who get drug off by the airport cops is a great game.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

BonzoESC posted:

Could anyone care to explain why a rotor mounted engine makes a tail rotor unnecessary? To me it seems as a rotor mounted engine would create an even higher mass of the rotor and more torque to handle for the tail rotor, not less?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Yesterday I was in the Sierra Nevadas (in Plumas County on the Feather River), and a fighter and some white jet (a trainer?) flew over quickly. Didn't get a good look at it, but the fighter might've been an F-15. I never realized how loud those things are.

Then two C-130s flew over us while my family and I were going down the river in inner tubes. :patriot:

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Dr. Klas posted:

Could anyone care to explain why a rotor mounted engine makes a tail rotor unnecessary? To me it seems as a rotor mounted engine would create an even higher mass of the rotor and more torque to handle for the tail rotor, not less?

Newton's third law. Since the the engines on the rotor blades drive small propellers the torque is between the rotor blades and the propellers, where in a conventional helicopter the torque spins the rotor one way and the fuselage the opposite direction.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 13, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Dr. Klas posted:

When the rotor is powered from the rotor, the only rotational forces transferred to the fuselage are through friction, which is quite small and fairly easily controlled.

Speaking of which, the science museum in Toyko has some awesome rotor-tip ramjets on display, hidden behind their Zero. The scale isn't shown too well in this photo, but the ramjet is really small, about the size of a 2-liter bottle:

Of course, after saying that, I'd be an rear end if I didn't show the Zero, too:

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Cygni posted:

I don't care how inefficient that pusher prop on the Arrow was, its such a loving awesome design.

Was it inefficient? I thought it was one of the fastest prop-driven planes of the day? But yes it's loving awesome beyond belief.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Stormangel posted:

Newton's third law. Since the the engines on the rotor blades drive small propellers the torque is between the rotor blades and the propellers, where in a conventional helicopter the torque spins the rotor one way and the fuselage the opposite direction.

Thank you. I actually figured it out myself after I logged out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ar234's are great for one thing in Aces High II. Making retards chase you for no reason.

I'm doing 450, please land your La-7, you look ridiculous.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

grover posted:

When the rotor is powered from the rotor, the only rotational forces transferred to the fuselage are through friction, which is quite small and fairly easily controlled.

Speaking of which, the science museum in Toyko has some awesome rotor-tip ramjets on display, hidden behind their Zero. The scale isn't shown too well in this photo, but the ramjet is really small, about the size of a 2-liter bottle:

Rotor tip ramjets you say?

I give you the Hiller YH-32/HJ-1:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

grover posted:

Of course, after saying that, I'd be an rear end if I didn't show the Zero, too:

What throws me off about Zeros is how hosed up the firing mechanism is. It had to be nerve wracking to move your hands from yoke to trigger.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Minto Took posted:

What throws me off about Zeros is how hosed up the firing mechanism is. It had to be nerve wracking to move your hands from yoke to trigger.

Elaborate?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BonzoESC posted:

Elaborate?

Instead of the triggers for the guns being on the yoke, the pilot had to move one or both hands off the yoke to fire the guns.

Oh yeah, they had to be hand charged too.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 14, 2011

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
....and despite that glaring handicap, the US was still inferior until later in the war

goddamn, navy, what were you doing

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Minto Took posted:

Instead of the triggers for the guns being on the yoke, the pilot had to move one or both hands off the yoke to fire the guns.

What about the 20mm cannon in the wings?

VikingSkull posted:

....and despite that glaring handicap, the US was still inferior until later in the war

goddamn, navy, what were you doing

To be fair, "inferior" might be a bit harsh...both the Wildcat and P-40 could more than hold their own provided they were in the hands of any semi-competent pilot who knew not to get in a turning fight with fighters (Zero with the IJN and Ki-43 with the JAAF) that had a tighter turning radius than almost anything else in the war.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Minto Took posted:

Whilst they were hand charged, those levers with the wooden handles cock the machineguns, the firing controls for both those machineguns and the 20mm cannon on the wings was a lever and selector on the throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R6W9MBK1gJI#t=110s

astropika fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 14, 2011

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Does this appeal to anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsY4G-NS0Hc

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ursa_minor posted:

Was it inefficient? I thought it was one of the fastest prop-driven planes of the day? But yes it's loving awesome beyond belief.

I've never seen any mention of the Do-335 being inefficient (other than some engine problems that weren't related to the aircraft design), and during post-war testing, it was indeed found to be about 30kts faster than a P-51 in level flight.

There is a story that a group of Tempest pilots near the end of the war surprised a Do-335 flying at low altitude, but the German pilot was able to simply outrun the RAF pilots, despite the Temptest being one of the fastest fighters of the war at low level.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Mobius1B7R posted:

I just about jizzed in my shorts, so yes.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mobius1B7R posted:

Seeing as how I pop a chubby every time the Everts Air Cargo DC-6s (with four Double Wasps) take off out of here on their weekly-ish supply runs, yes.

The dude on the video is a pretty close approximation of what I'd be doing if I witnessed that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mobius1B7R posted:

It did until I remembered I don't have my VHS from when a B-17 and B-24 did the same thing at Stewart back in like '99. Then I was sad. Then I watched it again, and it's really loving cool.

iyaayas01 posted:

To be fair, "inferior" might be a bit harsh...both the Wildcat and P-40 could more than hold their own provided they were in the hands of any semi-competent pilot who knew not to get in a turning fight with fighters (Zero with the IJN and Ki-43 with the JAAF) that had a tighter turning radius than almost anything else in the war.

Probably the wrong term, yeah. We were at a disadvantage, at least, and when you look at that setup it's hard to fathom why. Thank god I could just use the buttons on my Saitek when I fly a Zero.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 14, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

n8r posted:

Can't you at least wear shoes when you fly?

Why the hell would I? I roll out of bed for an 8:40am, 2 hour long flight every monday morning, to then go and wear high-vis PPE and ankle-high steel-capped boots for a week. The least I can do is be comfortable for the trip since I'm not for the rest of the week.

If I plan to go in to the airline's lounge I will wear jeans + shoes but if I'm stumbling in to the airport half-asleep then screw it.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 14, 2011

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I was always under the impression that you wear the type of footwear you'd want to run through burning flames or twisted metal should anything happen.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was always under the impression that you wear the type of footwear you'd want to run through burning flames or twisted metal should anything happen.

If you're in a large plane crash it generally doesn't matter.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

VikingSkull posted:

If you're in a large plane crash it generally doesn't matter.

Not every plane crash is a lawn dart.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I always fly in full bomb disposal gear with flotation collar and redundant parachutes. Tend to get some stares, but at least I get left alone by smalltalkers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I always fly in full bomb disposal gear with flotation collar and redundant parachutes. Tend to get some stares, but at least I get left alone by smalltalkers.

If you pay attention during the safety demonstration, you'd know there's flotation collars included in the life vests under every seat (between seats in first class).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

OptimusMatrix posted:

Not every plane crash is a lawn dart.

Yeah but most large airline crashes are. If there's twisted and flaming metal you'd have to walk through, it's generally bad enough where your feet are probably the least injured thing on your body.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah but most large airline crashes are. If there's twisted and flaming metal you'd have to walk through, it's generally bad enough where your feet are probably the least injured thing on your body.

In which case you want to wear closed-toed shoes so they can identify your remains by toe print.

:v:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Nam Taf posted:

Why the hell would I? I roll out of bed for an 8:40am, 2 hour long flight every monday morning, to then go and wear high-vis PPE and ankle-high steel-capped boots for a week. The least I can do is be comfortable for the trip since I'm not for the rest of the week.

I gotta ask, what the hell do you do and why do you weekly commute by plane?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Well, if you're on a flight that stands a chance of being diverted to Detroit, I'm sure you'll dress appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BonzoESC posted:

If you pay attention during the safety demonstration, you'd know there's flotation collars included in the life vests under every seat (between seats in first class).

Impossible to hear through the helmet and the visor is usually pretty fogged up by the time boarding is completed so that's actually news to me.