Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

timma85 posted:

When doing this refresh should I replace the water pump with a stock unit or go with an upgraded unit like the Stewart High Performance Pump? Everything else I just plan on replacing with ORM equipment.
And heres what driving 1400 miles in the summer does to the front of your vehicle.

OEM is fine if you're on a budget, the Stewart unit is a good investment if you plan on keeping the car for the next 100k miles and don't ever want to think about the waterpump going bad again.

Also, you should get those bugs washed off when you can, their guts tend to be acidic and can eat up your precious paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
I think the Stewart pump is a little overboard for daily driving. You can get OEM pumps but with different impellers that should easily last another 100k without the cost of the Stewart pump. If you're tracking the car, then obviously the Stewart is recommended.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

timma85 posted:

Took my vehicle on a little 1400 mile road trip. I made it to my destination without any problems. It was by far the most enjoyable road trip I've ever taken. Now that I'm here (Colorado Springs) I'm preparing to get the cooling system refreshed. When doing this refresh should I replace the water pump with a stock unit or go with an upgraded unit like the Stewart High Performance Pump? Everything else I just plan on replacing with ORM equipment.
And heres what driving 1400 miles in the summer does to the front of your vehicle.

I believe the Composite Impellers they use for the later versions are good enough for 95% of applications. The Stewart HP Pump is supposed to be a bit overkill.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Guy got back to me on the ZHP and responded to a few of my questions and sent me a pic of the engine:

No VANOS rattle and the guy seems to be pretty good with maintenance. I'm guessing it will need shocks/bushings and a new water pump soon, but otherwise it seems like decent upkeep.

Only problem is some jerk is gonna get there before me tomorrow, so I may miss out. This is the first ZHP that I've even seen in atlantic canada.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
I washed my car as as soon as I got to Colorado Springs, I didn't know bug guts could eat up paint though so I'm glad I washed it early. I don't plan on tracking the car unless autocross counts as serious tracking? Also I've been using my A/C here since it's pretty hot and I have been noticing when I turn the A/C on I hear some weird nosies and what sounds like the refrigerant being pumped through. Is this the compressor starting to go out? Do I need to refill the refrigerant? I'd hate to have to replace the A/C compressor along with getting the cooling system refreshed.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Here's an interesting Bloomberg article about new vs. used BMW and other car prices.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-11/new-bmws-a-dollar-more-than-used-show-closing-market-gap-cars.html

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got done wiring up the remote start on my E36. It was a lot of tedius work but pretty easy to do overall.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Let me tell you, its tough to know when a Bilstein shock blows out. And then I come to find out the previous owner paired Bilstein HD's with HR Race springs. So thats what that noise was!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dyscrasia posted:

Let me tell you, its tough to know when a Bilstein shock blows out. And then I come to find out the previous owner paired Bilstein HD's with HR Race springs. So thats what that noise was!

Ugh, so I accidentally fumbled my heater on today and got a strong whiff of coolant. New heater core I am guessing, dammit :\

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, so I accidentally fumbled my heater on today and got a strong whiff of coolant. New heater core I am guessing, dammit :\
Hurry up and install those springs first I want to see how it looks!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

AlternateAccount posted:

Right now mine is blowing full hot for the legs, and cool for the middle vents when its set to cold. I've turned off the leg vents and I'm just going to pretend everything is okay until winter.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lowclock posted:

Hurry up and install those springs first I want to see how it looks!

Man I ain't even bought the dampers yet. This is my first suspension work ever, I am a coward.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Are BMW keys supposed to rust or something? My old key rusted a lot on me and I bought a brand-new key from the dealer like a month ago and my new key already has rust on it.

EDIT: No I don't sweat a lot.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I never have a problem with my key... Granted when my car is at home in the garage I leave the keys in it. If you want my car you can have it, It would be a great excuse to get an E34 M5.

Anyways, I might cross post this in the car news thread, but I figured this would be a good thing to post because its related to the beloved E31 series.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/hammond-850-2011-08-09?imageNo=0

I admit it, these cars are neat, but personally, I would buy a Corvette over the E31.

vvv I know I am terrible :( ... But wasn't there another AI'er that purchased one of these?

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 12, 2011

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I never have a problem with my key... Granted when my car is at home in the garage I leave the keys in it. If you want my car you can have it, It would be a great excuse to get an E34 M5.

Anyways, I might cross post this in the car news thread, but I figured this would be a good thing to post because its related to the beloved E31 series.

I admit it, these cars are neat, but personally, I would buy a Corvette over the E31.

Heathen.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Here's an interesting Bloomberg article about new vs. used BMW and other car prices.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-11/new-bmws-a-dollar-more-than-used-show-closing-market-gap-cars.html

The article says that a Chevrolet Corvette is CHEAPER to buy new than used. How??! what? I don't understand!

(The article only gives prices in monthly payments, rather than flat-out costs. Maybe that's the difference. It says "GM’s Chevrolet Corvette is about $12 a month cheaper to buy new than used"

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009
My E46 got smashed up by a Honda pilot last night...

No injuries, other driver at fault, waiting to hear from the insurance adjuster next week :(

Damage all the way down the passenger side, from front bumper to rear 1/4 panel, and my poor Ultraleggera wheels are scrapped for sure.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Ouch! I'd be really surprised if that isn't a total loss. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ljw1004 posted:

The article says that a Chevrolet Corvette is CHEAPER to buy new than used. How??! what? I don't understand!

(The article only gives prices in monthly payments, rather than flat-out costs. Maybe that's the difference. It says "GM’s Chevrolet Corvette is about $12 a month cheaper to buy new than used"

One big factor is that the interest rate on a used car is a lot higher. They are talking about full-loaded costs assuming you finance.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tesko.pk posted:

No injuries, other driver at fault, waiting to hear from the insurance adjuster next week :(

Damage all the way down the passenger side, from front bumper to rear 1/4 panel, and my poor Ultraleggera wheels are scrapped for sure.

Ouuuch duder. That's totaled. I'd strongly consider buying it back, though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
ZHP owners: How satisfied are you with yours? I drove the one I posted earlier in the thread and loved it. The cloth seats are comfortable, the interior is miles ahead of my E36, transmission is precise yet not notchy at all, and the steering is awesome.

There is basically one major issue: The hood is rock chipped to poo poo. It's black, and VERY noticable. I didn't grab pics, but it will definetely need to be fixed, painted and blended with the fenders.

But it's pretty much the only ZHP I've seen in atlantic canada in 3 years of browsing kijiji once a day. He's asking 16k CAD which feels like a bit much considering the rock chips. I feel like It'd be worth it if I could get the price closer to 15k considering the rareness.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

tesko.pk posted:

I am absolutely terrified of this happening to me. After doing all the work myself, my car is worth WAY more to me than it is to an insurance company.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tesko.pk posted:

drat, dude. And to Think I get pissed off when I see a new scratch in the paint from some rear end in a top hat opening his/her door like an rear end in a top hat.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

ZHP owners: How satisfied are you with yours? I drove the one I posted earlier in the thread and loved it. The cloth seats are comfortable, the interior is miles ahead of my E36, transmission is precise yet not notchy at all, and the steering is awesome.

I've had my '05 for about 4 months now and its a joy to drive every day. Steering, suspension, interior, seats, body style, engine/exhaust sound. Once you get used to driving it, it fits like a glove. Its such a great car.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Deceptor101 posted:

I am absolutely terrified of this happening to me. After doing all the work myself, my car is worth WAY more to me than it is to an insurance company.

I have been too, but there was no way to avoid it :(, I had just put on some nice ACS replica side mirrors last week too. Not to mention Koni FSD shocks and new mounts all around...

If they write it off, I think I'll be looking for a nice E34, would prefer a later model 530i, already have Style 5's with really nice winters mounted on them. Going to need the winter tires on in all of 8 weeks (... Calgary) :saddowns:. Then just save the rest of the cash and possibly get an E36 M3 for summer? :woop:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Are those wheels actually cracked or just cosmetically damaged?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

tesko.pk posted:

I think I'll be looking for a nice E34, would prefer a later model 530i
I hope you didn't mean an e34 530i, because that is the worst e34.

JerrysMom
Jul 11, 2001

After weeks of searching and test driving I pulled the trigger today on my first BMW, an E90 325i from 2008. Apart from a little curb rash on the front right rim (the PO blamed it on his wife, who had it as her commuter car) it seemed in very good shape and most of all, it drove like a dream. I totally fell in love with the N52 just on the way back, having only driven 320i and 320d's before.

For a long time I thought I should get a 330i or 335i instead, but owning one of them would be so much more expensive here in Sweden, and I do think I'll be happy with the 325. For a while of course, but isn't that how it is, if I'd gotten a 330 I'd be lusting after M3s after six months.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I decided to take action and bought a 2004 325xi with 53k miles on it. It's in perfect shape, and is the greatest thing I've ever done in my life. I traded in my 07 Ford Edge, plus 2k down and ended up with the same car payment, lower insurance, better gas mileage (although buying premium gas will probably even that out) and a hell of a lot more fun.

The headlight covers are pretty clouded, from what I have no idea. I asked the dealer to look at it, but they apparently didn't do anything about it. So, I know I can replace the whole thing for some kind of HID's, are there any recommended replacements I could do that isn't many hundreds of dollars? I want to add a few "enhancements" here and there without entering 2 fast 2 furious levels of stupid.

But seriously, this car is so much fun to drive.

barakus
Aug 4, 2005

Binge posted:

The headlight covers are pretty clouded, from what I have no idea. I asked the dealer to look at it, but they apparently didn't do anything about it. So, I know I can replace the whole thing for some kind of HID's, are there any recommended replacements I could do that isn't many hundreds of dollars? I want to add a few "enhancements" here and there without entering 2 fast 2 furious levels of stupid.

I used the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit and it worked perfectly, assuming you have a drill and about an hour to work on it. If you do this, cover your engine with something, because you WILL splatter polish everywhere. You also need masking tape to protect the paint around the lens covers.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

vvv I know I am terrible :( ... But wasn't there another AI'er that purchased one of these?

That would be me. :toot:

And now, to tear apart the Top Gear article, which pissed me off a bit actually. I love how they obviously took the car all :smuggo: "hey guyz, EVERYONE SAYS these are huge piles of poo poo, so let's find all the poo poo that surely is broken on ours and rip it apart lol" but all they could find to put in their article were a standard list of old / neglected car problems, with a couple LOL HUGE CELL PHONE AND CD CHANGER jokes thrown in there.

Also, (according to them, anyway) the E31 is :airquote: "renowned for bad electrics" yet they couldn't find a single thing wrong with this obviously neglected 20 year old beater they picked up cheap, other than :derp: OMG THE EXHAUST WAS REPLACED A FEW YEARS AGO! and :supaburn: AIEEEEEE EMPTY WASHER FLUID BOTTLE! Nice work guys! :downsbravo:

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

dissss posted:

Are those wheels actually cracked or just cosmetically damaged?

They are bent and twisted, but not cracked. Very lucky the tires held air, especially with how twisted and jagged my front fender was.

Lowclock posted:

I hope you didn't mean an e34 530i, because that is the worst e34.
Ah my bad, I meant 535i! Though I do like the handsome looks of the E39 touring's, they seem to be somewhat common in my town as well.

Binge posted:

Clouded as in moisture inside the lens, or a translucent white surface? If there's moisture inside, you should get new seals. If it's translucent white, they've simply been abraded by the usual road debris, options are a) polish them, b) new headlight lenses (70 bones from khoalty, which I sadly JUST ordered before my E46 got smashed).

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

tesko.pk posted:

Clouded as in moisture inside the lens, or a translucent white surface? If there's moisture inside, you should get new seals. If it's translucent white, they've simply been abraded by the usual road debris, options are a) polish them, b) new headlight lenses (70 bones from khoalty, which I sadly JUST ordered before my E46 got smashed).

It definitely appears to be on the outside, as you can feel it get rough in the areas. I'm going to order the 3M previously linked and give that a go. It's not terrible or anything, just noticable(maybe not so much in the picture).

So my next of many many questions I'll probably ask over time here is about the stereo. I really miss the use of my phone as my music player. I want an auxiliary port so bad. I at the same time am leary of putting an custom dash unit, since all that I've looked at are ugly as hell, and I don't want to lose the orange theme of the dash. Are there any hidden hookups or some mystery option 3 that doesn't involve an FM transmitter?

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
DICE Mediabridge seems like something you could go with. I use the iSimple in my vehicle and it works great but I guess they haven't made a kit with an AUX in port yet.

I'm going to be changing my manual transmission fluid and differential fluid, hopefully this week. I can get a hold of the Pentosin OEM fluid for the manual transmission at the local O'reilly Auto. Everything on the BimmerWiki for the E46 and on the forums is saying Redline or Amsoil 75w-90 GL-5 for the differential fluid. Should I order that stuff since I can't find it locally or is Castrol 75w-90 GL-5 good enough? Is Redline worth the price premium and wait over the generic Castrol stuff?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

timma85 posted:

DICE Mediabridge seems like something you could go with. I use the iSimple in my vehicle and it works great but I guess they haven't made a kit with an AUX in port yet.

I have a Neo Prolink for my car. It has the iPod cable along with an Aux input. It was ~375 installed at a local custom audio shop. I can go through my iPod using the stereo controls, but its a bit clumsy at times. You can also just use the iPod itself to control it much quicker, but I like keeping it in the glove compartment.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Binge posted:

So my next of many many questions I'll probably ask over time here is about the stereo. I really miss the use of my phone as my music player. I want an auxiliary port so bad. I at the same time am leary of putting an custom dash unit, since all that I've looked at are ugly as hell, and I don't want to lose the orange theme of the dash. Are there any hidden hookups or some mystery option 3 that doesn't involve an FM transmitter?

If I had an E46 the first thing I would replace is the stereo and I would put this in.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839753

I only wish they made the same thing for an E82. I would love android throughout the car.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

If I had an E46 the first thing I would replace is the stereo and I would put this in.

I only wish they made the same thing for an E82. I would love android throughout the car.

I have/had the V5-Android in my E46, and it's really cool. The buttons, bezel, and amber back-lighting all greatly contribute to the OEM look. All of my automotive-minded friends have been quite surprised to learn it isn't in fact OEM. The install is pretty simple, and the Android side works really well, though the iPod/radio side leaves a lot to be desired, you can ignore those features once you have your apps set-up to your liking.

Definitely go through jeff @ Dynavin Solutions if you plan on ordering, really impressive customer service.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm assuming you need another cell plan for that to work?

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

Oh my god I need to have that. I'm a huge Android nut. Time to start saving. That will fit into my dash though? I have the normal BMW Business CD deck, but that thing looks huge.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm assuming you need another cell plan for that to work?

No, it's WiFi capable apparently, so it can tether from your current phone, or possibly pick up WiFi routers (as long as you're not moving).

Binge fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Binge posted:

Oh my god I need to have that. I'm a huge Android nut. Time to start saving. That will fit into my dash though? I have the normal BMW Business CD deck, but that thing looks huge.

No, it's WiFi capable apparently, so it can tether from your current phone, or possibly pick up WiFi routers (as long as you're not moving).
It will fit, you can use an (optional) HVAC relocation bracket for a really nice OEM fitment and look. If you opt not to go for the double-din HVAC bracket, the only difference is your HVAC controls will look a bit out of place, since you'll be using the location of the sunglass holder which doesn't match the radiuses of the HVAC controls.

Tethered from my Samsung Nexus S, it worked like a charm, and even connected to my home WiFi network in my driveway was no problem. Overall it's a lot cheaper and simpler than trying to do an OEM nav retrofit (typically runs about $1500~ in used parts). I'm on an unlimited data plan and my carrier has no rules against tethering, best to double check with your own carrier that you have both of those (I suggest as much at least), to avoid racking up any costly data-usage fees.