Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Going to see The Dillinger Escape Plan in Dublin tonight, I suppose I should expect to be maimed at some point.

loving hell, my ears. Loudest gig I've ever been to in my life. Greg Puciato's a legend, unreal stage presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickacha
Jul 31, 2004
this is where it's at
Zack Ordway, Travis Orbin, and Micah Kinard's new band Killtrox and the Motherships, a crazy alien themed super charged shredfest.

http://soundcloud.com/killtrox/death-bringer

It's loving crazy. Check it out!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Namedrop much? I have no idea who any of those people are.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Namedrop much? I have no idea who any of those people are.

Travis Orbin is God on the drums. I don't know why I never posted this in here before, but everyone needs to check out one of his (many, many) other projects, Of Legends.

Here's Travis playing one of my favorite Of Legends tunes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvOpG_0N5Xo

Slander
Jun 18, 2004

GOLD TEEF!!!1
A SHSTL review was posted today, and I'm going to provide a link only because it is related to a conversation we've had about the role of seriousness in metal, even though he only sort of touches on it briefly.

http://americanaftermath.net/2011/08/03/review-super-happy-story-time-land-st/

edit: Geez! Another review! Below:

http://deathmetalbaboon.com/album-review-super-happy-story-time-land-super-happy-story-time-land

Slander fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 4, 2011

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I know I pretty much poo poo on the latest Chelsea Grin when I first posted about it a few weeks ago but I started listening to it again sort of randomly yesterday and have listened to it like 10 times since. It grew on me.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Jeez louise. It's almost fifty bucks for that BTBAM/AAL/Tesseract show.

It wasn't even three years ago when I saw two of those bands plus Veil of Maya for 12 bucks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

the Bunt posted:

Jeez louise. It's almost fifty bucks for that BTBAM/AAL/Tesseract show.

It wasn't even three years ago when I saw two of those bands plus Veil of Maya for 12 bucks.

They all got pretty popular real fast.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, but BTBAM has been big for a while now.

Though, I guess AAL wasn't nearly as popular as they are nowadays. And I hadn't even heard of Tesseract back then and they are all over.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even realize AAL were big now. I saw them open for IWABO and DEP and they were amazing. It's nice that they've become bigger.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

New BYD is loving awesome. Lets me pretend they never recorded anything after Cover Your Tracks. They're not reinventing the wheel, they're doing what they do well. Good poo poo.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

New BYD is loving awesome. Lets me pretend they never recorded anything after Cover Your Tracks. They're not reinventing the wheel, they're doing what they do well. Good poo poo.

I also like it a lot. Sounds like good old BYD.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Wamsutta posted:

Yea man, it's straight up cleva. I think ShoogaSlim might even like it because he hasn't talked about how much he hates it yet. Don't forget about Beauty and the Breakdown though, that was a good tape too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Have I earned myself some sort of hater status in this thread? Haha.. I actually never gave the new BYD a listen when I first said I would but I decided to give it a once over since I got called out.

I don't hate it but I really don't care about it either. It sounds too produced, I don't like the guitar tone and I hate when vocalists overlap their own vocals so that the next verse starts before the previous one fully stops. Even Vincent from The Acacia Strain does this a lot lately and I just think it feels cheap. One of my favorite songs off of Continent is Seaward and the part at the end that goes "I curse like a loving sailor" is so overlapped that it would be impossible to perform live, so they don't. Anyway, there's a lot of that going on from what I've heard in this BYD album. All of their stuff is available on Spotify and after You Had Me At Hello it's pretty much all downhill from there. Just listening to the very first track off of Cover Your Tracks you can hear how produced it sounds.

Also, the "Bury your loving dead" chant in Mosh N Roll, the original version, has all this hootin and hollerin going on in the back and it just sounds so genuine. The new version is all serious with this loving minute-long feedback build up all like "look how serious we are, this chant is SERIOUS BUSINESS!"

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 7, 2011

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Every Time I Die is touring with GWAR.

I'm going to this tour.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

-Atom- posted:

I'm going to this tour.

I'd heard rumors about this, so when they confirmed it today I was pretty stoked. Looks like I'll be driving to Dallas to see them.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGVyWVic6-o

Is this metalcore cause this is pretty sweet.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
So Emmure just posted a video for Children of Cybertron and speaking as someone that actually enjoys Emmure, this poo poo is embarrasing :/

e; better post a link

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

A5H posted:

To me, this sounds like old-style thrash metal. I guess it's kinda hardcore too.

I dunno.

It's not bad. It's a little "classic" sounding for me though.

^^^Emmure, bringin the poo poo, you know how they do

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Holy gently caress.... Emmure goes even deeper into guilty pleasure mode. I think that even more embarrassing than smoking weed through bandanas wrapped around their faces is the fact that the singer is doing trigger pulling hand gestures as if he goes around killing people. What a loving toolbag.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

-Atom- posted:

I'm going to this tour.

I'm typing with one hand right now

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

-Atom- posted:

I'm going to this tour.

It's the price I like to pay for seeing Gwar too! I don't know why but as much as I like seeing Gwar, anything more than $30 seems a bit much. This time I can go for $20 and I finally get to see ETID. I can't think of a good reason NOT to go to this.

MMMCCLI posted:

So Emmure just posted a video for Children of Cybertron and speaking as someone that actually enjoys Emmure, this poo poo is embarrasing :/

e; better post a link

Hahaha! Oh my god, this is hilarious. All the elements of this are just horrible and they beauty is they're all horrible in different ways. You got the awful and unfitting white boy gangster style video, you got a song name that could be a nerdcore song and then you got lyrics that seem to e ripped from a NuMetal band. This is a beautiful thing.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 9, 2011

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

Wamsutta posted:

I'm typing with one hand right now

You should be. For GWAR alone.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

A5H posted:

I thought to qualify as metalcore you have to include at least two ripped off riffs from Slaughter of the Souls or something, so this fails the test, I guess!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Oh man, I forgot Slaughter of the Soul existed, that CD loving owned

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

elbkaida posted:

I thought to qualify as metalcore you have to include at least two ripped off riffs from Slaughter of the Souls or something, so this fails the test, I guess!

:eng101: That's only to qualify as Göteborg metal(core). So every Black Dahlia Murder record has 2+ riffs ripped from Slaughter of the Soul, but Unearth don't bother.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Woops wrong button.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Oh man, I forgot Slaughter of the Soul existed, that CD loving owned

It sure did, such a great finale for ATG.

Not really metalcore, but I love a lot of bands that are similar to ATG.

Casketgarden are basically ATG worship, mid 2000s melodic death/thrash metal. They borrow a ton of riffs from ATG and remind me of Nightrage's "Sweet Vengeance".

Eucharist's "Mirrorworlds" as well as their debut and second demo are among my favorites of the Gothenburg scene - they bear a lot of similarities to ATG, but I'd say they were less vocal-centric and the guitar work was a bit more focused on melody.

Sacrilege put out two great albums too, more melody/less groove than ATG. Quite a bit of acoustic/clean work, lots of riffing too that shows a bit of the earlier days of Swedish DM (Stockholm scene).

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
Speaking of metalcore bands and their love affair with Swedish guitar leads, Gideon is a newer band with a couple of choruses that sound like they they were lifted from a mid-2000s melodic death metal band. I imagine them being in a song by Sonic Syndicate or something.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

Nightrage

gently caress, I forgot about them, too. The Tremor was one of my favorite songs for a loooooong time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n0vJbANIgk

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
That song owns! While we are down memory lane, here is some Absidia - old German metalcore, also very much in the swedish style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL8OVbM4BDc (lovely quality, but it is hard to find that stuff online)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
At a The Chariot show in Crofton, MD. I'm the oldest person here :(

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

MMMCCLI posted:

e; better post a link

I'm an unabashed Emmure fan, but gently caress, every single one of their music videos are just absolutely terrible. Surprisingly, Frankie's actually a kind of nice guy, at least as far as the few moments that I talked to him are concerned. I told him I enjoyed the show after a concert and he gave me a pretty sincere thank you and a handshake. Jesse on the other hand is a lot more... distant?

Also gently caress yes for living in Boston. Dillinger Escape Plan, BTBAM, and Animals as Leaders all under one roof? Holy loving poo poo yes. Also Dredg randomly will be there too, who I don't think really fit with the lineup, but I immensely enjoy as well.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 14, 2011

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Saw Gridlink, Phobia and Maruta yesterday and they completely owned.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
First time I've listened to Stray from the Path and gently caress does this song shred - includes guest vocals from Cory of Norma Jean: http://www.rocksound.tv/features/article/exclusive-first-play-stray-from-the-path

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

First time I've listened to Stray from the Path and gently caress does this song shred - includes guest vocals from Cory of Norma Jean: http://www.rocksound.tv/features/article/exclusive-first-play-stray-from-the-path

I saw Stray and letlive. a few weeks back and it was awesome. I'm a big fan of both bands and they both kill it live. I don't know how many times I've listened to Make Your Own History, so I'm pretty excited for some new Stray jams.

Slander
Jun 18, 2004

GOLD TEEF!!!1

quote:

Gridlink, Phobia and Maruta

Shiiiiiit! I am officially jealous. I love Gridlink and Maruta... The hosed up part, however, is that even if they were here, I couldn't afford to go. :(

gently caress me.

On a lighter note, check out Exogorth from Seattle, WA. Pretty rad DIY grind. I'm doing work with these guys over the next couple of months, we're launching a three vocalist grind assault. It's gonna be fun thing.

FYI: SHSTL's Self-Titled is :siren:$1:siren: now until forever!!

In the future, however, we are planning to sell a digital download and hardcopy for a tiny bit more.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So new Chimaira is out.

It slays like always, the end. Imagine a less brutal Impossibility of Reason. (More melodic).

Also: as someone who liked the new Black Dahlia but didn't LOVE it...this album has grown on me tremendously. This is some seriously good poo poo, some of their finest work.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 18, 2011

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

New Suffokate song is up

http://www.guitarworld.com/suffokate-theholebeneath

Listening to it now through one low-volume earbud since I'm at work but it doesn't sound disappointing or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New Videos of Converge and Khann from Best Friends Day 2011