Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I heard it was bad, but was not prepared for how bad it would be. Bad movies can be entertaining, but The Last Airbender was that perfect level of completely boring and totally bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I would sign that petition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look on the bright side. You can rifftrax it without having to pay money to rent it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Might be obvious and I'm missing it but where does it say whether the movie is in HD if you're browsing on a PC?

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Watch RoboGeisha now. That's all I can say. Watch it.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

wormil posted:

Might be obvious and I'm missing it but where does it say whether the movie is in HD if you're browsing on a PC?

I'm not sure how to do this through Netflix.com but instantwatcher.com has a listing of all the HD titles: http://instantwatcher.com/genres/506

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
Four Rooms is available and if you haven't seen this movie you're missing out.

quote:

One mad New Year's Eve, an overwhelmed bellboy (Tim Roth) copes with witches and diabolical children, gets caught in the middle of a sour relationship and settles a bloody bet for members of a superstar's entourage. Madonna, Antonio Banderas and Bruce Willis co-star in this uncommon comedy like no other that features four stories by a quartet of hot directors: Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino.
I just learned how awesome the search function is. For some reason I never bothered to really hit the "see similar titles" and discovered there's a lot more on here than I thought.

TheJunkyardGod has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Jul 31, 2011

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
Ronin is available in HD. I think it's a fun movie overall, good car chase scenes with engine noises that make me feel all funny inside.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lurkman posted:

Ronin is available in HD. I think it's a fun movie overall, good car chase scenes with engine noises that make me feel all funny inside.

I love Ronin. I find it interesting that Ebert's main criticism was that the movie has no plot but it does of course have two plots and switches them up, then there is the love story which is not cheesy nor overpowering but believable, like the characters, and nestles right into the story. The acting is excellent, the car chase is among the best and there is never a dull moment. I can't wait to watch it again but now in HD.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just watched Hunter Prey. As the title suggests it is not very original or imaginative but does have it's moments. It borrows heavily from several greater movies, Star Wars and Enemy Mine are most prominent and there are several nods to each in the dialogue. This is a low, low, budget sci-fi movie but the cinematography, make-up and props are all well done. Some of the dialogue is awful but not enough to really hurt, mostly the writer is relying on military stereotypes rather than portraying soldiers realistically. Erin Grey (Wilma from Buck Rogers) lends her voice to the soldier's computer.

A prisoner transport crash lands on an uncharted planet (those pesky things) and the surviving crew is ordered to recapture the escaped prisoner but they quickly realize he is hunting them. More than that spoils the plot.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

As a fan of The Flaming Lips, I have to recommend the documentary Fearless Freaks. It's a great look into the beginnings of the band, what they're up to now (relative to when it was released in 2005), and definitely makes me appreciate their music more.

benzero
May 25, 2005

Brains for dinner, brains for lunch, brains for breakfast, brains for brunch.
Check out SLC Punk with Matthew Lillard. It's got cool monologues to me. Coming of age story and such.

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
I don't know if this has been mentioned.

Watch Dead Man starring Johnny Depp. It's a black and white, western style movie. It's an epic tale of an out-of-place man who has a stroke of bad luck.

10/10, set aside 2 hours for this. A slow movie, but it will grow on you.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Stander is definitely worth a watch. It's a South African film starring Tom Jane as Andre Stander, the police captain that started robbing banks on his lunch break.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
13 Assassins was really good. I believe it's Takashi Miike's latest. Kinda reminiscent of Samurai 7, but not really. Check it out if you like that stuff.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/13-Assassins/70127232

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Weezy88 posted:

13 Assassins was really good. I believe it's Takashi Miike's latest. Kinda reminiscent of Samurai 7, but not really. Check it out if you like that stuff.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/13-Assassins/70127232

This movie is awesome. It just came out last year so I was pleasantly surprised to see it on netflix instant. If you like samurai movies, you will like this movie.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Anyone have any recommendations for shows like Parks & Recreation, 30 Rock, or the IT Crowd?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for shows like Parks & Recreation, 30 Rock, or the IT Crowd?
Check out Better Off Ted, great show in a office setting.

I watched Hobo With a Shotgun last night and it was pretty hilarious. Over the top violence and weird one liners galore. Definitely worth checking out.

RudyBrah
Sep 27, 2010

casual poster posted:

Check out Better Off Ted, great show in a office setting.

I watched Hobo With a Shotgun last night and it was pretty hilarious. Over the top violence and weird one liners galore. Definitely worth checking out.

"Shut your mouth, mother Theresa is a saint!"

It is the Black Dynamite of gore.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

casual poster posted:

How did this not show up in my recommendations... moved to the top of my queue.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

^^^Oh yeah, totally at the top of my queue too!

Looks like Tangled just got put on instant queue (a week after I get it on my DVD queue :argh:) An adorable, absolutely charming Disney movie that's surprisingly funny and well-written.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any good suggestions for shows to watch in the background? I like to have something on while I'm working on another screen that I can watch for a little while, but then listen to and/or tune out when I go back to working. I'd prefer if they weren't something like straight documentary or totally dry. Something like Mythbusters is the perfect balance of interesting, educational, funny, and long-running.

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Aug 14, 2011

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Any good suggestions for shows to watch in the background? I like to have something on while I'm working on another screen that I can watch for a little while, but then listen to and/or tune out when I go back to working. I'd prefer if they weren't something like straight documentary or totally dry. Something like Mythbusters is the perfect balance of interesting, educational, funny, and long-running.

Well, Dirty Jobs would probably be right up your alley. It's reasonably educational, occasionally hilarious though always funny, and has been going on for almost as long as Mythbusters.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I think Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations is up your alley also, especially if you're into travel. You can look at the episode list and see if the countries visited are what you might be interested in.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Anthony_Bourdain_No_Reservations/70136132?trkid=496624

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zwabu posted:

I think Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations is up your alley also, especially if you're into travel. You can look at the episode list and see if the countries visited are what you might be interested in.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Anthony_Bourdain_No_Reservations/70136132?trkid=496624

Haha, that's actually what I'm watching right now. I've seen a good chunk of the show already but I'm going to catch up on the episodes I haven't seen. Dirty Jobs is a good one, too.

I was watching the Michael Palin travel shows but they were just far too dry and I tuned them out completely.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
There are a ton of good Discovery/A&E/etc shows like this.

Some that come to mind that I really enjoy are Survivorman, World's Toughest Jobs, and Hoarders.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Just watched The Right Stuff on netflix again, which owns loving bones. Astronauts rule.

Need to throw out more support for Top Gear, which is the best car show ever made. Netflix is missing season 1 and 11, though, along with the episode where Richard Hammond talks about crashing a rocket car and nearly dying. (You can find that on youtube though).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I watch the X-files all the time while working. It's usually simple enough that I'm able to work while keeping track of the plot. Also there are like 9 seasons so I have enough to keep me supplied for a good while.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

feedmyleg posted:

I've been watching Gordan Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. The show is very well done and can really make you care about many of the people involved. I'm also learning new cooking tricks and combinations of expletives.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Longtime_Companion/60003613?trkid=496624

Longtime Companion is, I think, one of the first American theatrical releases that had the AIDS epidemic as its subject. It focuses on a group of friends, gay men, in New York, and the impact of the disease on them by looking at snapshots of their lives over a period of years, with the disease starting out as a strange news article in the New York Times that they discuss in telephone conversations and around the hot tub, to denial of the disease's significance and their vulnerability to it, ending with its devastation of their circle.

It features a really strong ensemble cast with Campbell Scott, Bruce Davison and Mary-Louise Parker with really good performances, particularly Davison. There are a few really emotionally powerful scenes, particularly the one with Davison at his partner's deathbed, encouraging him to let go of life, and the movie's finale.

A SEXY MISTAKE
Nov 4, 2005

got to make some space

Aphrodite posted:

Look on the bright side. You can rifftrax it without having to pay money to rent it.

Now you're speaking my language! I can't wait to hear Mike and the crew rip Arng the Arvatar a new one.

Also, it's probably been mentioned before, but The Naked Gun is on streaming, and still as funny as the day it was released. R.I.P Leslie Nielsen. :911:

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Riot was pretty good. Having a family business in a lovely neighborhood sorta made the movie a lot more terrifying than it should have been.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I've been watching Gordan Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. The show is very well done and can really make you care about many of the people involved. I'm also learning new cooking tricks and combinations of expletives.

Yea, this. I don't watch cooking shows at all, but Ramsay's stuff is pretty good. MasterChef on Hulu is also worth a look.

teknetik has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Aug 21, 2011

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I hate reality shows, but Top Shot is excellent and well worth your time. It's a competition between 16 marksmen who are all skilled with different types of fire arms. They are olympians, hunters, soldiers, collectors and sports shooters, and the challenges they are given are a true test of skills. Sure, it's got the generic reality show host who expounds everything, and the "reality" part of it means it's not always the worst shot (or the biggest jerk) who gets sent home, but the competitions are fun, and the interactions and personality conflicts among the competitors are genuine.

And I am not a gun guy by any means, but Top Shot piqued my interest and I found Netflix also has Lock N'Load with R. Lee Ermey. If you don't know much about firearms either, this is a good, basic program to expand your knowledge. It chronologically tracks the development of different types of weapons over the decades, and shows 3D cross section animations as each development in the mechanics are explained. I'd recommend starting with the episodes on pistols and ammo, then rifles and shotguns first, since that's more practical info than, say, the episode on tanks. (Also, keep in mind Ermey is legit drill instructor, but also an entertainer. He often overplays the unimpressive, and downplays significant improvements if they were made by the French, but on the whole he's fun)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just watched Trainspotting for the first time. Great flick, on Netflix instant.

I just got a free month of Hulu Plus. Good God, are the ads annoying. I've gone from no cable, Netflix only to watching Hulu Plus on my PS3 and gently caress, are they ever grating and repetitive. That said, they're well worth it to watch Misfits. I watched The first 11 episodes in the last 2 days. Such a great show, and I don't care for much Sci-Fi at all. Sit through the ads and enjoy the show.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Eat This Glob posted:

I just watched Trainspotting for the first time. Great flick, on Netflix instant.

I just got a free month of Hulu Plus. Good God, are the ads annoying. I've gone from no cable, Netflix only to watching Hulu Plus on my PS3 and gently caress, are they ever grating and repetitive. That said, they're well worth it to watch Misfits. I watched The first 11 episodes in the last 2 days. Such a great show, and I don't care for much Sci-Fi at all. Sit through the ads and enjoy the show.

Hulu Plus' commercials are annoying but you'll probably learn to just tune them out after a while. Also, they have maybe 10 different commercials at any given time and seem to match them with the show. So if you watch different shows you won't get the same thing over and over.

I may end up getting rid of Hulu Plus though, I recently got real cable and already had a Tivo so there's not much point in it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

I envy people watching this film for the first time. But then I'm also always disappointed that Ewan MacGregor's career has never yielded a role that was quite so perfect for him as Mark Renton.

Zwabu has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Aug 24, 2011

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hobo With a Shotgun was the first thing I watched after finally getting internet at my new place. I need to have my friends over for that one. Fantastic.

Hoarders is great for dinner time.

I noticed Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is on instant. Everyone's talking about the books and movies. Is it even worth watching?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Pope Mobile posted:

I noticed Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is on instant. Everyone's talking about the books and movies. Is it even worth watching?

The first one is pretty good, not great. The 2nd and 3rd movies are terrible, however.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Xandu posted:

The first one is pretty good, not great. The 2nd and 3rd movies are terrible, however.

I enjoyed them. They go deeper into the main characters background and whatnot, if you really liked the first one give the rest a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

I envy people watching this film for the first time. But then I'm also always disappointed that Ewan MacGregor's career has never yielded a role that he was quite so perfect for him as Mark Renton.

Speaking of MacGregor, I watched I Love You, Philip Morris the other week and enjoyed it. It's a light-hearted con movie in the same vein as The Informant!. Not a great movie, but probably worth checking out unless you hate Jim Carrey or gay people.

• Locked thread