Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Coughing Hobo posted:

Sounds like it's not finding the textures. Eyes and skin go bright purple when they have no texture.

Yeah, that was it. I did the meshes folder and must have somehow forgot to extract the textures too from the rar. Silly mistake on my part for assuming that I extracted it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Chief Savage Man posted:

Thirty-three thousand caps! Time to go get booted out of the Tops.

Finally went and bought this. I don't think I'm going to use anything else at close range from this point on.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Silver Peak Bunker

Anyone tried this? Looks pretty awesome, quest/faction expansion mod thing.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Latest Armory WIP and progress/bug list for those that like to follow it. New this week is another horde of bug fixes and adjustments, the Sten Gun, some new weapon mods for weapons that didn't have them before (Rhino, Beowulf, a couple others IIRC) and the FN2000 now uses iron sights by default though I will probably have to toy with the FOV still.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Naky posted:

Latest Armory WIP and progress/bug list for those that like to follow it. New this week is another horde of bug fixes and adjustments, the Sten Gun, some new weapon mods for weapons that didn't have them before (Rhino, Beowulf, a couple others IIRC) and the FN2000 now uses iron sights by default though I will probably have to toy with the FOV still.

Naky, can you recommend me a good two-hand SMG or short assault rifle from the Armory? I mean something like the vanilla 12mm SMG that's good for close quarters combat. Most of the SMGs I've seen from the armory so far have such low bullet damage that I can't deal with armored targets very effectively, and while I now have access to fully automatic weapons that can tear poo poo up, the guns are so long that in third person mode they clip through my shoulder.

Basically I want something I can whip out when heavily armored legion assassins close on me before I can snipe them down.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Reveilled posted:

Naky, can you recommend me a good two-hand SMG or short assault rifle from the Armory? I mean something like the vanilla 12mm SMG that's good for close quarters combat. Most of the SMGs I've seen from the armory so far have such low bullet damage that I can't deal with armored targets very effectively, and while I now have access to fully automatic weapons that can tear poo poo up, the guns are so long that in third person mode they clip through my shoulder.

Basically I want something I can whip out when heavily armored legion assassins close on me before I can snipe them down.

If I actually played my own mod, I could probably recommend one :negative: I'll have to leave that to others in the thread, sadly.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
I've had to go cold turkey for about 3 weeks as a series of not-to competent techs failed repair my comp. And I JUST got into Honest Hearts too, I was lovin it.

So now I have win 7 64, 6 gig and new GTS450s on a freshly scrubbed computer. (Other than a dead power supply the problem was a broken startup process no one would identify.)

Having followed this thread for some time I know what seems to work, what doesn't and what I love to play but I am still on the fence with the FNV4GB item. Is it really that stable now that it plays nice with FOMM?

Because then I would totally jump on those texture packs if they do.
I have Steam installing my games on another internal SATA drive (D) not my system drive and I'm guessing that shouldn't cause any issues?

And a personal note for player housing, I'd love that underground bunker if it wasn't the only source of constant crashes I encounter. Stupid feature boat. I'm using the (title forgotten) mod that cleans up a camper in goodsprings with some boxes and a bed and the lucky 38 mod now that someone picked it up again.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Smuggins posted:

Having followed this thread for some time I know what seems to work, what doesn't and what I love to play but I am still on the fence with the FNV4GB item. Is it really that stable now that it plays nice with FOMM?

Well, I'm using it for some time now and I had like two or three crashes in hours upon hours of playing, and even those could be caused by something else.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Speaking of FNV4GB, I have like 15 of them in my task manager for some reason, is it okay to delete those or what? Also would I even need to use it anyway if I'm doing a basic playthrough with some minor mods like improved sound and bugfixes and the like?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ryaomon posted:

Speaking of FNV4GB, I have like 15 of them in my task manager for some reason, is it okay to delete those or what? Also would I even need to use it anyway if I'm doing a basic playthrough with some minor mods like improved sound and bugfixes and the like?

Yeah I had to give up on FNV4GB because it would just start launching hundreds of instances when I tried to load it up for some reason. Even when it actually launched correctly it would still load dozens of copies that never got all the way started.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
FNV4GB is only useful if you're using high-res texture mods. With normal sized textures you won't see any benefit unless you turn the cell preload cache way up, but that'll get flatlined by your hard drive speeds anyway.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Reveilled posted:

The KAC PDW is a good choice mostly because it fires 5mm instead of 5.56 and giving it phenomenal penetration.

While I'm at it: add more 5mm weapons! :)

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Male Man posted:

FNV4GB is only useful if you're using high-res texture mods. With normal sized textures you won't see any benefit unless you turn the cell preload cache way up, but that'll get flatlined by your hard drive speeds anyway.

This is the info that counts, excellent! Given I am now downloading Ojo Bueno textures it's worth a try. I'll jkust have to see if I get the multiple instance issue.

Not a slam against Naky but I can't trust myself to stick to my hardcore/PN rebalance run using his cabinet of magic and fun :(. Soon though, soon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not getting that many CTD these days, but instead get more infinite loading screens, which forces myself to hit Ctrl Alt Del to shut the game down. Any idea what would cause this to happen?

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ugh, when did Nexus really start throttling down the DL speed. I know that some times are better than others but this weekend has been awful so there is NO way I'm getting textures today.

I'd think about a 30 day premium but they use Paypal and I hate them deeply.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Speaking of the high-res texture mods, is the highest resolution one really worth getting over the medium one? Is even the lowest resolution pack better than the default new vegas textures? The provided screenshots I assume all are taken from the highest resolution pack.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

Speaking of the high-res texture mods, is the highest resolution one really worth getting over the medium one? Is even the lowest resolution pack better than the default new vegas textures? The provided screenshots I assume all are taken from the highest resolution pack.

I'm using NMC's small textures and they're much, much better than the default textures. I wasn't a big fan of NMC's sidewalks, roads and rock textures so I used Textures Over Time and Ojo Bueno for those; regardless I've noticed a large upswing in reliability and a decrease in infinite loading screens.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rirse posted:

Not getting that many CTD these days, but instead get more infinite loading screens, which forces myself to hit Ctrl Alt Del to shut the game down. Any idea what would cause this to happen?
I've come to grips that infinite loadings seems to be par for the course for everyone. Does anyone have a truly stable game with no infinite loads?

Mine's pretty stable and I only get them every few hours, but usually when I get one, I'll get two-three in a row and it's really annoying.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Only reason I'd pay for a Nexus account is so that I can avoid those ridiculous forced video+audio advertisements that you get every single time you click a download link for something other than a 2KB file. When you're trying to get every mod you need for a fresh install, it gets more than a little infuriating after hour 4.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Only reason I'd pay for a Nexus account is so that I can avoid those ridiculous forced video+audio advertisements that you get every single time you click a download link for something other than a 2KB file. When you're trying to get every mod you need for a fresh install, it gets more than a little infuriating after hour 4.

This might not work, but try Skipscreen?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Adblock takes care of the videos, and gets you your file immediately. :) I didn't even notice they had added video ads for several months until someone mentioned it in an older Oblivion modding thread.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Busy day for one off question from me.

FOMM, lovely program, love it to death now that I'm using it but the help file and other sources do not make one thing clear:

I get a mod and DL it and I see an upgrade patch (like Existence 2.0 and it's tiny upgrade) then DL it also. FOMM will install and activate the first file as version 1.0 and then install/activate the upgrade/patch as version 1.0.

Do I activate both? I know deactivating the first item would probably be bad but what to do with patches/upgrades is really not clear since they are named exactly like the first file.

EDIT: Yea I should have just tried activating the patch and I would have had my answer. All is well.

Smuggins fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 14, 2011

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Adblock takes care of the videos, and gets you your file immediately. :) I didn't even notice they had added video ads for several months until someone mentioned it in an older Oblivion modding thread.

Grabbing that now. Thanks for the heads-up!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Smuggins posted:

Ugh, when did Nexus really start throttling down the DL speed. I know that some times are better than others but this weekend has been awful so there is NO way I'm getting textures today.

I'd think about a 30 day premium but they use Paypal and I hate them deeply.

Are you using the Washington DC mirror or the Dallas mirror? I've found the Dallas mirror usually is at least as fast as my DSL (360 KB/s), but the DC mirror is much slower.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

Are you using the Washington DC mirror or the Dallas mirror? I've found the Dallas mirror usually is at least as fast as my DSL (360 KB/s), but the DC mirror is much slower.

I think it's that the DC mirror tends to have a lot more traffic. Every time I download something the DC mirror always has around twice as many people using it as every other mirror. People probably just always click it because it's the first one in the list.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I find it absolutely hilarious when they force a multiple mB video ad on you for an 11kB file. Not coincidentally, flashblock does a wonderful job of blocking their ads as well. Though you have to wait out the 40 second countdown still.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people
Are there any Unarmed mods that would be a recommended install on an Unarmed character? I can't find much searching "Unarmed" on Nexus or the OP.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

SourceElement posted:

I find it absolutely hilarious when they force a multiple mB video ad on you for an 11kB file. Not coincidentally, flashblock does a wonderful job of blocking their ads as well. Though you have to wait out the 40 second countdown still.

Switch to Adblock and you won't have to wait. I switched from Flashblock to Adblock a few months ago and was really surprised by how many more things it blocks or gets around, like that 40 sec countdown.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Well, that was really awesome. Did my complete reinstall with FOOK, PN, Nevada Skies 7.1, EVE, all the official DLCs, and about 75 other minor mods. Fire the game up, repeatedly crashes upon trying to transition from exterior to interior. Disabled everything, works fine. Re-enabled FOOK, fine. PN, fine. The long and arduous task of seeing what was causing the problem yielded a really unsurprising result: Nevada Skies. Ugh, what a loving piece of poo poo.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Go to .63 and make sure it's last in your load order.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ok, one more quick texture pack question: Will the detailed normals mod work correctly with non default textures?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cowcaster posted:

Ok, one more quick texture pack question: Will the detailed normals mod work correctly with non default textures?

No.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Lol, fixt. Looks like I caught URWLified Nevada Skies 3.0 between its first upload and its second, fixed, non-buggy crashy lovely one. I seem to have caught a whole lotta stuff like that lately.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Coughing Hobo posted:

No.

Prompt and succinct! Thanks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Firefox + NoScript + Adblock Plus. I've never seen an advertisement on this computer, ever.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aaaaand another mod question.

So I thought to myself Project Nevada and Darnified UI should be fine right? I tried Huds that show your stats to help play hardcore and they all conflict like rats.

Apparently they do not want to work together, they overwrite each other on install.
I'm guessing I need to to use FNVedit at this point. Unless someone knows a HUD that PN does not fight with that has a Darnified font feel AND shows hunger, thirst, rest. Nothing else.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Smuggins posted:

Aaaaand another mod question.

So I thought to myself Project Nevada and Darnified UI should be fine right? I tried Huds that show your stats to help play hardcore and they all conflict like rats.

Apparently they do not want to work together, they overwrite each other on install.
I'm guessing I need to to use FNVedit at this point. Unless someone knows a HUD that PN does not fight with that has a Darnified font feel AND shows hunger, thirst, rest. Nothing else.

PN and DarN do work together, you can check the menus folder and there should be one with some DarN compatibility files. Alternatively, use Unified HUD Project.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
PN has Darn versions of a few menu files. That's the only conflict, and it's not even a major one.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rirse posted:

Texture packs, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Thank you, Nevada Skies URWLified 3.0! After installing it according to readme, large sections of the game world are now nothing but bright purple blotches, Doc Mitchell's face included, and his clothes are now, for some reason, all lovely-looking camo-colored. I don't even know why I reinstalled this loving thing when I should be playing Nehrim or Morrowind. :I