Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Golbez posted:

This is a strange but straightforward question: Do black people get suntans and sunburns? Light-skinned I figure, but is there a certain level of skin darkness that prevents it? Where would Barack Obama fit on that spectrum?

As was said already, it takes longer. I think it also takes a much more intense sunlight. This is purely anecdotal but I'm a white guy and my best friend is a very dark filipino. The very first time he got sunburned was a few years ago, and it's probably only happened twice since then. I have to load up on sunblock but he rarely needs it or is much lighter. Obama is lighter than my friend.

Related question: do black people have the same risk for skin cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
black people have all the luck.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

arroze posted:

here's what I think of as a "dema shot":

* your right leg must be visible, preferably at the top of the pedal stroke
* the top tube, cockpit, and front wheel are generally seen
* the shot must be taken from your right hand
* you must be moving
* the face must not be shown

Any other requirements? :)

I spent way too much time trying to find the perfect example, but here are some good ones:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=392147981
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=392454932
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=392603556

Subpoena posted:

I gathered most of these from examples, but... Why is it called a dema shot, then?

bummer dude posted:

Something Awful Forums user dema.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2990271&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=71

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Aggro posted:

So I made some nacho cheese dip today for a fantasy football draft, and it didn't get finished. I put in the fridge, and now I have solidified cheese product chilling in a pot. What can I do with this besides throw it away? I don't think I can return it to its original liquid form, but I lack ingenuity to make a meal out of it.

Heat slowly using a double boiler :)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How much of a pain in the rear end is it to return a college textbook to Amazon? I want to buy them now, but there's always the chance the professor says the book is optional.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I forget how twitter's privacy setting works. If I've set my feed to private, but I tag someone who isn't following me, will they still see the message or should I be PMing them?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

the posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to return a college textbook to Amazon? I want to buy them now, but there's always the chance the professor says the book is optional.
Assuming you have a .edu address, get Amazon Prime Student, which is free, and you can just buy your text books after the first class and have them in one ($3.99) or two days (free).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So here's a stupid/small question. Does anybody know how to make a flyer with those tear-off pulltabs that have phone numbers and poo poo printed on them? Using Microsoft Office 2010?

I've been trying to figure this out for nearly 2 weeks, and the only answer I keep coming back to is "gently caress it, just copy/paste the whole thing from Word into MS Paint and add in the pulltab lines and text there.", but there's gotta be an easier and more hassle-free way to do it than this.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So here's a stupid/small question. Does anybody know how to make a flyer with those tear-off pulltabs that have phone numbers and poo poo printed on them? Using Microsoft Office 2010?

I've been trying to figure this out for nearly 2 weeks, and the only answer I keep coming back to is "gently caress it, just copy/paste the whole thing from Word into MS Paint and add in the pulltab lines and text there.", but there's gotta be an easier and more hassle-free way to do it than this.

Haven't used Word in years, but can you not create the flyer, then create a text box with the phone number / info, rotate it 90° by clicking on/near the corner (using standard transform controls that I imagine to be there), position them at the bottom, copy + paste / move 'em over?

Then, when printed, just cut it up?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I imagine that using a table could work as well. Just make ten columns or so and format the text so that it's rotated

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Travakian posted:

Haven't used Word in years, but can you not create the flyer, then create a text box with the phone number / info, rotate it 90° by clicking on/near the corner (using standard transform controls that I imagine to be there), position them at the bottom, copy + paste / move 'em over?

Then, when printed, just cut it up?

Normally that'd be my first instinct, but Microsoft Word 2010 is drat near impossible for me to navigate, and I don't actually know how to rotate text 90° -- in fact I didn't even know you could do that on Word until you said something.

I was already thinking about using a table or grid or whatever the hell they call it to divide up the tabs, so I guess rotating the text is my biggest issue right now.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Are there types of old ovens that are warm all the time? After I had the gas company light the burner for my oven, I realized that it's like the oven is on 24/7. The stovetop is warm, and the oven actually is emitting some heat. I mentioned it to a couple people, and half didn't know, and the other half said it wasn't supposed to be like that.

Its an old, cheap looking "Hotpoint" oven.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Normally that'd be my first instinct, but Microsoft Word 2010 is drat near impossible for me to navigate, and I don't actually know how to rotate text 90° -- in fact I didn't even know you could do that on Word until you said something.

I was already thinking about using a table or grid or whatever the hell they call it to divide up the tabs, so I guess rotating the text is my biggest issue right now.

I only have 2007, but try using a table, right click inside a cell and look for text-direction.

edit: this page says this

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Carebear posted:

Are there types of old ovens that are warm all the time? After I had the gas company light the burner for my oven, I realized that it's like the oven is on 24/7. The stovetop is warm, and the oven actually is emitting some heat. I mentioned it to a couple people, and half didn't know, and the other half said it wasn't supposed to be like that.

Its an old, cheap looking "Hotpoint" oven.

That's just the pilot light.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

There should be a button on the Table Tools/Layout ribbon called "Text direction"

(beaten by edit)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's plenty of of templates on the Office site to do just this
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=tear+off&CTT=1&origin=TC001042766
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=tear&CTT=1&av=zwd

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm pretty sure this is a scam, but I'd like to double-check my scam radar. I'm selling a Samsung Epic on Craigslist, and the first response I got is from a guy who wants to pay my 50% more than my asking price and wants me to ship it. He wants my PayPal name and email first. Scam, yes?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
no, it's not a scam.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yup totally legit, until he receives the product and does a chargeback on you. And since it's no through eBay there's zero recourse for the seller.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'll try to be less mean and snarky: read the warning that craigslist gives you when you post a thing. At least the first item:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

If you're willing to ship to Nigeria or wherever instead of dealing locally least go to ebay to maximize the benefit in the 1e-9 chance that it's not a scam (it's a scam.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
This is kind of a dumb question to ask, as I should know this.

Girl goons. As a child, what was it like to have products marketed at you that you have no idea about. As an example, what does a 9 year old girl think about commercials for the vagina wipes goons make fun of? I never cared, because I'm a boy, and it's not marketed to me. But it's never explicitly mentioned what the product is, so ... how is that resolved?

I never had any sisters growing up, so it's never come up.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Internet Cliche posted:

This is kind of a dumb question to ask, as I should know this.

Girl goons. As a child, what was it like to have products marketed at you that you have no idea about. As an example, what does a 9 year old girl think about commercials for the vagina wipes goons make fun of? I never cared, because I'm a boy, and it's not marketed to me. But it's never explicitly mentioned what the product is, so ... how is that resolved?

I never had any sisters growing up, so it's never come up.

They're not marketed at girls, they're marketed at women. I ignored commercials like that just as much as boys did. I figured when I was old enough it would all magically make sense to me.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Yeah, that's about what I figured. It shows older people shopping and having a good time, not kids. Thanks for confirming.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah I think the closest I came to being affected by lady commercials was when I saw a commercial for scented maxi pads or something and asked my mom what it was. She said it was something I'd learn about when I was older - and that was that. I never really cared.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This question doesn't even have to be gender-specific. Did any of you care about insurance or banking commercials when you were children?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Does insulin need to be re-refrigerated after you open it? I know if you have them unopened they are supposed to stay cold, you warm up the bottles with your hand when you are ready to use them. after you open it are you supposed to refrigerate it?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know if Six Flags is still running that Coke can buy one get one ticket free thing? Or if some sort of similar discount deal is being run by Six Flags?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I have quite a random question regarding one of those classic AOL Searchlog Specials from years ago:

Does anyone know if it's a reference to something, like a piece of lyrics, or just some crazy person rambling? Either way it's pretty memorable and interesting, if a bit disturbing. I have been wondering about this ever since I first saw it.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
What's the best deodorant/anti-antiperspirant to use that best prevents against pit stains? I've tried a few different ones like Old Spice, Sure and Degree, but they only help a little bit against the sweat and stains.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

MalConstant posted:

What's the best deodorant/anti-antiperspirant to use that best prevents against pit stains? I've tried a few different ones like Old Spice, Sure and Degree, but they only help a little bit against the sweat and stains.

My sister has issues with underarm sweat and swears by degree clinical strength.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

slowdave posted:

I have quite a random question regarding one of those classic AOL Searchlog Specials from years ago:

Does anyone know if it's a reference to something, like a piece of lyrics, or just some crazy person rambling? Either way it's pretty memorable and interesting, if a bit disturbing. I have been wondering about this ever since I first saw it.

I'm pretty sure I've heard "endogenous anaerobic infections" in a song before, yeah. I'll see if I can track it down.

;)

Seriously: the only search results I'm getting for fragments of that are references to that search log, so my guess is either that it's a crazy person rambling or that someone was given some original poetry or lyrics and was searching to see if it was a copy of someone else's.

MalConstant posted:

Use an actual anti-perspirant; many deodorants have minimal anti-perspirants and strong scents, assuming that the reason you want the anti-perspirant is to get rid of the smell. I've heard good things about Certain Dri and Arm&Hammer products actually stopping perspiration; you might want to check those out.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 15, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tostito posted:

Does anyone know if Six Flags is still running that Coke can buy one get one ticket free thing? Or if some sort of similar discount deal is being run by Six Flags?

Doesn't looks like it, all the coke links are dead.
http://www.sixflags.com/national/tickets/coke.aspx

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
While trying to do this sporcle quiz, I found myself struggling to remember names like Ben Stiller and Jeff Bridges - names that I know, I've seen them in lots of stuff, I can picture their faces. I tended to get them eventually, but it still concerned me. I'm 31. Is there any kind of supplement I can take, or mental exercise I can perform, to keep my memory at top quality?

Edit: Though, taking other quizzes and being able to rattle off football teams and country names like they're written on my hand, maybe it's just that I don't pay as much attention to movie stars.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 15, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's more or less impossible to "get better at trivia", treating the entire concept as an undifferentiated whole. Some people have better powers of recall than others, but if the question isn't about something your life and interests already led you to, you just don't know it and that's that.

Most "memory supplement" materials are also bullshit, too.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

I believe not. A friend of my dad is a dermatologist, and I remember him saying once that he does a lot of free skin cancer screenings at local companies where the employees spent a lot of time outdoors. He said that the black guys are just as enthusiastic about it as anyone else, and he doesn't want to discourage anyone from getting checked by telling them that their risk of skin cancer is very small.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Stupid TV question:

There was a skit years back about guys working as cowboys. The point/joke of the sketch is that one guy said he liked to work hard and sleep like a baby, and the other guy said 'We work hard and sleep like logs around here'.

Vague memory, but what show was this. Comedy Central IIRC.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

haveblue posted:

It's more or less impossible to "get better at trivia", treating the entire concept as an undifferentiated whole. Some people have better powers of recall than others, but if the question isn't about something your life and interests already led you to, you just don't know it and that's that.

Most "memory supplement" materials are also bullshit, too.

Not so much 'get better at trivia', it was just weird that I could picture these faces but I could not somehow remember their names, at least not without some strain ("J... d... I know it's J d... jim d.. ja.. JOHNNY DEPP!") or use of a mnemonic (for some reason I mentally have this joke about a particular actor having a Huge Ackman). It just felt weird that I could picture them but not have instant recall of their names.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Teeter posted:

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/race.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
If you don't get enough fat in your diet, it can affect memory. You ought to try taking Fish Oil pills and see if it helps. I like these for their high EPA and DHA:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1571

There probably are drugs that do work, but not the ones they sell over the counter.