Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Eh, the problem is that seeding rumors about his heritage draws attention away from R+L=J, and "Promise me Ned" on a bloody bed really doesn't fit with much else. "Promise me Ned." "I swear Lyanna, I'll get someone to water your garden."

For as "organic" as GRRM likes to say his writing is, he's planned all this poo poo out from day one. 15 years of writing with hints coming to fruition 4 books later. I'll bet you one US dollar (or currency equivalent) that it's true. I'll paypal you that one dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princess Putout
Aug 10, 2004

HI, I IS DAISY

Blind Sally posted:

He'd just rise again (that which is already dead can never die, etc.) with a water arm from the Drowned God to go along with his fire arm. Then he'd offer tributes to the other gods and get corresponding limbs from them as well. Like a weirwood leg from the Old Gods and... nothing from the Seven because they don't seem to have any real magic.

Then he'd be like the Fantastic 4/Super Skrull. GRRM loves pop culture references like that, right?

Something just clicked for me, the Drowned God is motherfucking Cthulhu.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Dagon being a popular name for Iron island guys didn't give it away?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I'm not very well acquainted with the Cthulhu mythos but why does that name "give it away"?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oogyboogs posted:

I thought that Quentyn was a nice contrast to Dany. They were both around the same age, but he was much more mature and serious minded then she was. They should have named his POV chapters "THE MAN-MAID" after Gerris called him that. That poo poo was too funny.

That reminds me of one thing I really liked about the book, the little changing chapter names for characters and Theon in particular.

I think Dagon was one of the big monsters in the Cthulhu stories. It's a Lovecraft thing for sure though.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Dagon, despite being a very old god and so on, is a name most often associated with the Cthulhu mythos these days. He even has a movie or two.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Just remembered something. The chapter where Arya and the Brotherhood meet with the old lady in the woods. Not only does she have red eyes, she says the she was alive for 1000 years. Bitch is definitely a greenseer child of the forest. Think that she will come up in the story again?

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I don't remember her having claws or cat eyes

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Just finished reading!!! Omg I'm not sure if this novel made me more mad that I read the whole thing or not.

Who did Arya find dead with 4 gold Westerosei dragons on him at the House of Black and White? GRRM makes it a point to write that mans description in italics, but for the life of me I couldn't think of who it might have been.

I'm so bummed about Jon's last chapter because he's been my all-around favorite character to read through all the books. Plus I loving want to know more about The Others and he's about the only person where their presence is noted or any lore is dislodged from GRRM's head.

Who has theories on the Others? Is this a R'hollar vs The 'one we cannot name' Other(Voldemort? lols) kinda thing? I have a hard time accepting R'hollar as the good side if anything considering animals freak out when the priests are around plus they make living sacrifices all the time. How is that supposed to be the side of good?

Bran. That's all I have to say other than, need more Bran. His rear end is now stuck in a chair under a tree just staring off into wierwoods over the course of their many lives. I can only imagine he'll learn some secrets about the others and end up helping out the wall/Jon in a way, but there are problems with that. I really wanted to see if he could take over a dragon and live within it. I suspect its coming eventually.

Am I the only on who wants to see Tyrion become one of the three dragon riders?

This drat book left me with more questions than answers... I wish GRRM would give up on repeating himself over and over and also lighten up on the description of foods because he could cover so much more ground within one book that way. I feel like there has to be at least 3 books to finish it up unless he changes his writing style up some. Also gently caress renaming character's chapters.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 14, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Princess Putout posted:

Something just clicked for me, the Drowned God is motherfucking Cthulhu.
Arya walks by the Temple of Starry Wisdom in Braavos.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons death may die." - The Necronomicon

"What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger." - prayer to the Drowned God

It's pretty clear what the Drowned God is a reference to.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just put the book down and I'm sad. Sad because i'll either have to wait for years before I can read the next book or i'm never going to read it because he'll loving die.

The best book that i've ever read. Maybe it's just because i've waited for so long. But I think it is.

It's messy, it jumps around and it never finishes what it starts. But the characters and the world is so alive.

Unlike Kevan :( RIP Kevan you were a good guy and I hope Varys somehow ends up with Ramsay.

FMguru posted:

"That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons death may die." - The Necronomicon

"What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger." - prayer to the Drowned God

It's pretty clear what the Drowned God is a reference to.

"Harder Better Faster Stronger" - Daft Punk

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I went to a SF Giants game this week. I rode the ferry over normally, but the ferry I rode back was terribly designed. All the seats on the back deck got sprayed with seawater constantly, like a literal downpour of salty rain. The only seats that had been available for the game were standing room only, so I'd been walking and standing for hours when I got on the ferry, and there was no way I was going to stand for the ride back. By the time I got to the return ferry every other seat had been taked, so all I could do was sit in the splash zone and repeat to myself "What is dead can never die"

Sticky Profits
Aug 12, 2011
So, something's been bugging me for a while. In the first book I swear I remember a scene where Ned (still with a full complement of head) writes two letters and gives them both to someone to deliver. The content and destination of the first one is, I think, obvious before the book is over but he's very 007 about the second one? I don't think it's the letter he's talking to Varys about in the dungeon? I seem to recall this taking place in the Tower of the Hand.

I'm probably just misremembering since it would be a bigger thing but can someone point in the right direction?

Also me and mine, you and yours, little and less, much and more.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Cripple Sandor would still crush him. He easily fended off Gregor at his most enraged. Gregor is kind of a bitch when you think about it. Loras beat him in lancing, Oberon kicked his rear end with a spear.. so what if he's strong. He sucks at fighting.

The act he's most famous for is killing a baby.

A baby he failed to kill.

But he certainly showed that trusting horse who was boss. And I suppose that innocent spectator at the Oberyn fight.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Yes he's pretty much hit you over the head with it. It's Tywin's shrunken head

It would be awesome if it were the tarred head of Ned.

hellbastard fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 15, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

hellbastard posted:

But he certainly showed that trusting horse who was boss. And I suppose that innocent spectator at the Oberyn fight.

And, you know, Oberyn's face.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

And, you know, Oberyn's face.

Oberyn had that fight. He got too emotional, and pretty much crushed his own head.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

hellbastard posted:

Oberyn had that fight. He got too emotional, and pretty much crushed his own head.

True. Gregor still physically crushed another man's head with his fist, regardless of who actually had the advantage before that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

hellbastard posted:

I don't think that this makes it less impressive that Gregor, who was dying from a painful poison, turned the fight around and killed Oberyn with one hit with his fist.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 15, 2011

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I think he also killed Dondarrion once.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

I think he also killed Dondarrion once.

Twice, I thought. Once with a knife through the eye and again with... a spear? Or maybe that was someone else. Pretty sure Gregor got two Beric kills, though.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Twice, I thought. Once with a knife through the eye and again with... a spear? Or maybe that was someone else. Pretty sure Gregor got two Beric kills, though.

Twice yes.

He lanced him like a boil.

And also stabbed him in the eye.

But Sandor practically sliced him in two.

I'm kind of looking forward to two or three years from now when there's a Dondarion death compilation gif.

Kainser posted:

I don't think that this makes it less impressive that Gregor, who was dying from a painful poison, turned the fight around and killed Oberyn with one hit with his fist.

Not at all. Only that Oberyn put his head in harms way. He could have just as easily kept yelling "SAY HER NAME!" from a safe distance casually jabbing Gregor in the balls with his spear.

hellbastard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 15, 2011

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Affi posted:

The best book that i've ever read.

:stare:

It wasn't even the best book in the series...

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

RCarr posted:

Begs the question, which was your favorite?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

RCarr posted:

I have to say I enjoyed reading this book as much or more than any of the other books in the series. Other than Dany's annoying behavior (I think she is going insane) the book was extremely fun and getting to see POV characters like Melisandre and Barristan were highlights in the series for me.

I get it if you disagree, but seriously I can't stand the way certain people rate books as if they can be quantified and compared objectively.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

RCarr posted:

I only read book 3 in April and book 4 in June, but I think I enjoyed reading ADWD the most (maybe because I had the least spoiled; seriously, I knew almost everything going into book 3 and 4 because of goons). In order I'd say ADWD is my favourite, then ASOS, then ACOK, then AGOT, then AFFC (which is still good, but loving Cersei made it a massive drag).

ADWD had a lot of amazing stuff going for it. Asha's chapters were incredible, probably the best in the book. It was great to go back to Winterfell again and see all the hosed up stuff with Theon. I loved ALL of Tyrion's stuff: I think this is where GRRM's world building skills shone through the most. Not only did we find out more about the free cities, we also got a tour of that area of the world with tons of background details. As for the other main POVs, Jon's stuff was interesting to me, especially when he was dealing with the wildlings; and even Dany's stuff I enjoyed, unlike most goons. All the new POVs were great too. Jon Connington/Aegon was my favourite new element to the book. Overall it was just a goddamn great book, way way better than AFFC in almost every way.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
gently caress Jon Snow. RIP Pretty Pig and Crunch :qq:

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

I just realized...Crunch is Azor Ahai reborn.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kainser posted:

Physically impossible, I don't care if you are 8 feet tall.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Neurosis posted:

Counterpoint: Mike Tyson killing cows with one punch.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I mean, he had gauntlets on. Also I think it was more like three hits.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Affi posted:

Counterpoint: Mike Tyson killing cows with one punch.

Hell, I googled that to see if it was a urban legend or anything and found this:

"Woman on Trial for Killing Rapper With One Punch"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

hellbastard posted:

The act he's most famous for is killing a baby.

A baby he failed to kill.

Far as I remember, he actually killed the hell out of that baby, it just wasn't the right baby (allegedly) because some clever person had pulled the old switcheroo. Can't fault the 8-foot-tall killing machine for not having expert baby-identification skills.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
To touch upon the subject of Bran's dream about the golden knight, the dog faced knight and the stone giant, I thought it was obvious that the stone giant symbolizes Littlefinger. The sigil of his house is exactly that, afterall.

Petyr Baelish, afterall, is the one who caused the war, or, at the very least, hastened it's happening and did whatever he could to prolong it. the fact that the stone giant looms over all the other actors in the dream, and how it describes the blood and death pouring forth from it fits perfectly with Littlefinger's role in the story. He is the man pulling all the strings and the ultimate cause of the Stark's woes.

SharpyShuffle
Aug 20, 2007

Barrakketh posted:

To touch upon the subject of Bran's dream about the golden knight, the dog faced knight and the stone giant, I thought it was obvious that the stone giant symbolizes Littlefinger. The sigil of his house is exactly that, afterall.

Petyr Baelish, afterall, is the one who caused the war, or, at the very least, hastened it's happening and did whatever he could to prolong it. the fact that the stone giant looms over all the other actors in the dream, and how it describes the blood and death pouring forth from it fits perfectly with Littlefinger's role in the story. He is the man pulling all the strings and the ultimate cause of the Stark's woes.

You really think so? But why then is there that extra layer of symbolism when it comes to Littlefinger? I mean the golden and dog-faced dudes are very recognizably Jaime and Sandor as individuals, but then you have an exaggerated representation of Littlefinger's house sigil representing Littlefinger himself?

Why isn't it a golden lion and a [animated symbol of house Clegane] fighting the Stone Giant?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I mean, he had gauntlets on. Also I think it was more like three hits.

What was his posture at the time? I can't recall. Power for that kind of thing depends on good leverage behind a punch as much if not more than sheer weight behind it.

Actually, never mind, as a fight sport geek replies will only result in me sperging out over something relatively trivial.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I thought Gregor had been lying on his back at this time, then Oberyn came too close, Gregor grabbed him, pulled him to the floor and GREGORSMASHED him.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jakabite posted:

I thought Gregor had been lying on his back at this time, then Oberyn came too close, Gregor grabbed him, pulled him to the floor and GREGORSMASHED him.

Yeah, that was my recollection, too, which makes it sound even more unlikely.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I bet SER ROBERT STRONG will be a real anticlimax. Cersei's ace in the hole will turn out to be incapable of anything, and she'll get royally screwed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
Calling it: Ser Robert Strong vs. Thoros of Myr

"FRANKENGREGOR HATE FIRE! FIRE BAD!!" then he just kind of flips out and kills ten bystanders and loses the fight.