Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

GET ME OUT OF FYAD posted:

The OG Evo now has root on Gingerbread!

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

A few other new devices are supported too, I believe.

drat, just tried on the Incredible 2 Gingerbread and still no dice. I wish they'd specify the SW level compatibility on their how-to site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
^^^^ You need to boot into the bootloader and check your HBOOT, not the version of the OS you're running.

Here's the list:

Revolutionary currently supports the following Android phones and HBOOT versions:

HTC Desire (bravo) 0.93.0001, 1.02.0001
HTC Desire CDMA (bravoc) 1.06.0000
HTC Wildfire (buzz) 1.01.0001
HTC Aria (liberty) 1.02.0000
HTC Incredible S (vivo) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000
HTC Droid Incredible 2 (vivow) 0.97.0000 (Gingerbread only!)
HTC Desire S (saga) 0.98.0000 and 0.98.0002
HTC View (express) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000
HTC Flyer (flyer) 1.10.0000, 1.11.0003
HTC Sensation (pyramid) 1.17.0006, .0008, .0011 and .0012, 1.18.0000
HTC Evo 3D (shooter) 1.30.0000 and 1.40.0000
HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru) 1.49.0007
HTC Thunderbolt (mecha) 1.04.0000, 1.05.0000
HTC EVO 4G (supersonic) 2.16.0001
HTC myTouch Slide 4G (doubleshot) 1.44.0007
Revolutionary will permanently unlock NAND write protection by default on the following phones:

HTC Sensation (pyramid)
HTC Evo 3D (shooter)
HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru)
HTC myTouch Slide 4G

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Goddammit, and right after I resurrected my Fascinate and returned my DInc2.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

^^^^ You need to boot into the bootloader and check your HBOOT, not the version of the OS you're running.

edit: holy poo poo they updated it to work on DInc2 Gingerbread since I posted my last post.

fudsak fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 15, 2011

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm interested in flashing CM7.1 RC1 on my Evo Shift but I can hardly find any feedback on it. Xda and the CM forums are really dead when it comes to RC1 and nightlies discussion on the Evo Shift. Is there some other forum I am totally missing?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Drevoak posted:

I'm interested in flashing CM7.1 RC1 on my Evo Shift but I can hardly find any feedback on it. Xda and the CM forums are really dead when it comes to RC1 and nightlies discussion on the Evo Shift. Is there some other forum I am totally missing?

This thread on XDA looks more active than the CM forums. The Shift isn't a terribly popular phone so I wouldn't expect stellar support and that support is going to get smaller over time.

If you want great CM support, you need to have a really popular phone that's been unlocked or a Nexus phone.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

Goddammit, and right after I resurrected my Fascinate and returned my DInc2.

Hell yes, just as I got my Incredible S.

Worked wonderfully after I figured out that l in the beta key wasn't an I :downs:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Now that the Incredible 2 can be rooted, does anyone have any recommended roms for it?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

This thread on XDA looks more active than the CM forums. The Shift isn't a terribly popular phone so I wouldn't expect stellar support and that support is going to get smaller over time.

If you want great CM support, you need to have a really popular phone that's been unlocked or a Nexus phone.

I saw that thread and it wasn't all that active. I'm just surprised because the Shift isnt a lovely phone, going from the Hero to the Shift was ridiculous. I dont have any problems with the phone, I just wish I didnt have to buy a new phone in order to get an active community.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drevoak posted:

I saw that thread and it wasn't all that active. I'm just surprised because the Shift isnt a lovely phone, going from the Hero to the Shift was ridiculous. I dont have any problems with the phone, I just wish I didnt have to buy a new phone in order to get an active community.
I don't think anyone was calling the Shift a lovely phone, but you can't be too surprised that it's going to attract less attention than the Evo4G and 3D.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Awesome...my TEP phone replacement is rooted to the max, now! Good timing, too...I have a business trip starting tomorrow and based on past experience, the hotel's wifi is poo poo and I get a better internet connection through my hotspot.

Edit: I shouldn't use Titanium Backup if I switch ROMs, right? I might go back to Fresh like on my previous Evo, or finally try out this CM7 thing people are going on about...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awesome...my TEP phone replacement is rooted to the max, now! Good timing, too...I have a business trip starting tomorrow and based on past experience, the hotel's wifi is poo poo and I get a better internet connection through my hotspot.

Edit: I shouldn't use Titanium Backup if I switch ROMs, right? I might go back to Fresh like on my previous Evo, or finally try out this CM7 thing people are going on about...

If you have a trip tomorrow I wouldn't be loving around with unknowns. Stick what you know works, gently caress with poo poo when you get back.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
As I understand it you can usually restore your apps and app data from rom to rom, it's when you try to restore system data from another rom that things go south. That's like trying to install a windows program on a mac.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does Revolution just patch the bootloader, and can I roll it back just by reflashing a new HBOOT on top?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Are there any decent roms for the Evo 3D that aren't loving terrible? I tried Synergy but it has a lovely habit of locking up at random times during charging, forcing a battery pull. Plus, they removed the new Market and added the lovely old one back for "speed" reasons.

I really just want something fast and stable, without lovely themes or sounds or other unwanted bullshit. I'll be flashing to CM7 / MIUI like everyone else when they're released, but something to hold me over would be great.

I can't even find a rom thread on XDA that doesn't contain some stupid internet catchphrase or a myriad of "lol" thrown everywhere.

The best I can find appears to be CleanROM. Anyone have any experience using it?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Is there a way to change the messaging app on the MIUI lockscreen to anything else? I'd much rather have Whatsapp or Voice search there.

Mega Comrade posted:

The sg2 cm7 nighties are getting really stable. Build 22 now.

OK cool I'll check it out later.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I just got a new SGS and was trying to get the new one to how I liked the old. I tried installing this ROM and now I get a static screen and some goofy-assed audio cue that it's trying to partition something. Has anyone here saved a bricked SGS with that crazy USB jig trick?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Steve Kondik of Cyanogen fame is now employed at Samsung Mobile.

http://phandroid.com/2011/08/15/in-other-acquisition-news-samsung-mobile-buys-steve-cyanogen-kondik-for-an-undisclosed-amount/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Steve Kondik of Cyanogen fame is now employed at Samsung Mobile.

http://phandroid.com/2011/08/15/in-other-acquisition-news-samsung-mobile-buys-steve-cyanogen-kondik-for-an-undisclosed-amount/

Well that's certainly interesting.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Krittick posted:

The best I can find appears to be CleanROM. Anyone have any experience using it?

I tried 1.0 and now 1.3 and both times, even though I did a full wipe (cache + Dalvik cache + data), I still get insufficient space errors when trying to re-download my Market apps. Meanwhile:

sh-3.2# df
df
/dev: 411204K total, 64K used, 411140K available (block size 4096)
/system: 806312K total, 682676K used, 123636K available (block size 4096)
/data: 1204200K total, 318988K used, 885212K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 111612K total, 102684K used, 8928K available (block size 4096)
/devlog: 20144K total, 17300K used, 2844K available (block size 4096)
/vendor/firmware/misc: 204580K total, 17292K used, 187288K available (block size
4096)
/mnt/asec: 411204K total, 0K used, 411204K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/obb: 411204K total, 0K used, 411204K available (block size 4096)
/app-cache: 8192K total, 0K used, 8192K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/sdcard: 7753728K total, 5005856K used, 2747872K available (block size 32768
)
/mnt/secure/asec: 7753728K total, 5005856K used, 2747872K available (block size
32768)
/data/DxDrm/fuse: Permission denied
/mnt/asec/com.wyse.pocketcloudfull-1: 7280K total, 5840K used, 1440K available (
block size 16384)
sh-3.2#

This doesn't happen with the stock ROM, but I also haven't tried any other ones, either.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

aude omnia posted:

I just got a new SGS and was trying to get the new one to how I liked the old. I tried installing this ROM and now I get a static screen and some goofy-assed audio cue that it's trying to partition something. Has anyone here saved a bricked SGS with that crazy USB jig trick?

It sounds like it's just changing your partitions to EXT4 from RFS or something. I'd let it sit for awhile and see if it wakes up eventually. Over ten minutes and you might have a problem you should be able to ODIN away and start over from, but generally that's part of the process the first time you install an EXT4 ROM

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

aude omnia posted:

More specifically the ROM you installed is using the Voodoo Lagfix method. Just let it run and in time it'll boot into the OS (its a once of - after that the phone should be a bit more responsive). It generally isn't needed as much with the latter roms that Samsung put out, but the earlier ones could get pretty laggy without converting the partitions.

As a bonus though, that kernel probably includes Voodoo Color and more importantly Voodoo Sound which is godly if you listen to any amount of music. The Wolfson codec is that good that even though I have my SGS2 for general use, I still keep my original SGS around just to use as an mp3 player.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

DrBouvenstein posted:

TB would be useless if it didn't work between roms. All the apps are yours, except system data. Attempt no restore there.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Krittick posted:

I switched from Synergy to Clean a few days ago and have been happy so far.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is CyanogenMOD the only ROM that comes with a working Wifi Tether? Is there anything else for the Galaxy S that does this? I've tried the wireless app on other roms but they need a particular kernel.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The DInc2 has root now? Fan-loving-tastic. CM7, hurry up and get a stable ready!

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Leathal posted:

I switched from Synergy to Clean a few days ago and have been happy so far.

Yeah after flashing it last night it has been pretty stable for me.

Plus I spent 3 hours in a lowish coverage area and still have 95% battery. Really liking this rom if it keeps up.

Titanium Backup is a loving godsend too. Such an essential app, though I can't wait until every setting is saved in the cloud.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Living Vicariously posted:

The DInc2 has root now? Fan-loving-tastic. CM7, hurry up and get a stable ready!

They have a shitload of nightlies but I can't find a changelog or open issues list. It's keeping me from jumping right in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fudsak posted:

They have a shitload of nightlies but I can't find a changelog or open issues list. It's keeping me from jumping right in.
For open issues you'll need to look at the relevant xda thread but here is the changelog (the Inc2 is the Vivo_W).

That being said, ever since they went to 2.3.5 on the nightlies I've had nothing but problems on the N1. I doubt it applies to other phones, but there's been a regression in the wpa_supplicant where the wifi constantly drops rendering the phone essentially useless to me. Bluetooth seems hosed as it won't pair to my headset any longer (this is prior to 2.3.5 but still present as far as I know), and people have reported restarts and FCs when using Navigation although I haven't seen it (but I don't use it frequently enough to be a bellweather).

I've been on #139 for a while now checking occasionally to see if the wifi drop issue has been resolved but I really want to move on as a couple features added since then really appeal to me (signal in dBm and volume keys not waking the phone without a lockscreen). :(

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Got s-off with revolutionary last night on my wife's DInc2. Was really simple and when it finished with s-off, it asked if I wanted it to download and install clockworkmod for me. To which I said, yes please.

Booted into the phone, turned off fastboot, launched into recovery, made a backup, and flashed CM7 nightly 40.

Seems to be running well for her and I haven't heard anything from her that would make me think it's not stable enough to run as a daily phone.

Sad thing is, all she wanted was a different lockscreen, she could care less about the other stuff.

fudsak posted:

Why not? It's so easy to jump from rom to rom (backup to backup) that it doesn't make sense to stay miserable or unhappy with your current system.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You should have just bought her widgetlocker.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I've never been a fan of widgetlocker. Somehow it's always ended up acting up on me and I just remove it.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

I've never been a fan of widgetlocker. Somehow it's always ended up acting up on me and I just remove it.

Always seemed to run like poo poo for me as well on my DX.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Why not? It's so easy to jump from rom to rom (backup to backup) that it doesn't make sense to stay miserable or unhappy with your current system.

Is it possible (and easy) to save multiple backups? Say, one per ROM?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Hell you could make a NAND backup of every rom you install and flip between them with impunity. I just upgraded Android Revolution last night and my backup even auto generated the rom name and version in the title of the folder it made.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

fudsak posted:

Is it possible (and easy) to save multiple backups? Say, one per ROM?

Yup, although I've always seen it save it to a folder by date. Although, I don't believe anything is stopping you from going to the folder on the SD card and renaming it.

The droid x is a bit different though because the ROMs either work on the froyo or gingerbread kernel. Apart from going to the right kernel before jumping ROMs, you can do the same thing. Not the case with the DInc2 though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Mine are saved by date/time, but I think its GMT rather than local. So oddball times and often the "wrong" date. lol.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sort of new to the rooting process. Is there anywhere with a step-by-step guide on rooting the E3D? Is there anything I should absolutely do other than dump any SD card contents I want prior to rooting?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

http://revolutionary.io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I ended up trading my EVO up for a Nexus S. For future reference are there any specific roms or anything that are good for it? Anything specific.