Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

I thought so, I've only been painting for about 2 months so when I got the eyes even I just left it. Went back over them just now:

EDIT: Also looking a the pics I see a purple highlight got onto one of the boots. FFFFF

Looking much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I personally think you should have done the whites with bleached bone or something. Lots of black people have kind of beige eyeballs, maybe a bit of sepia wash?

Maybe it's just me thinking the eyes are TOO white. They stand out insanely well, which bugs me for a reason I can't articulate.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

crime fighting hog posted:

God damnit

This thread is simultaneously making me stoked about awesome paint jobs and leap-and-bound, up-and-coming painters and making me want to kill myself! :suicide:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

You've been painting for two months any you're already better than me. I've been painting for 5 years now, and I still can't highlight worth balls.

God damnit

Did you ever make the top hat for Terminus though? When I was reading through the thread I was looking forward to seeing that.

e: Hell yeah.
vvvv

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 14, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Hal Gill username posted:

Did you ever make the top hat for Terminus though? When I was reading through the thread I was looking forward to seeing that.

I've got so much stuff on my plate, I still want to do a Terminus conversion changing up his wings and using a different set of legs so he's actually standing instead of poop crouching. Then the top hat will come on. And the disco lights.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
On the topic of painting red again, a great option for basing is Vallejo Burnt Cadmium Red. This arm was done in just two coats.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 14, 2011

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Combaticus posted:

Any suggestions for paint stripping other than pinesol and simple green? Don't think I'm able to get those brands here in Denmark, right now I'm using acetone, it works pretty well, but there's still some pesky bits that won't really come off. Also was Smelly primer some kind of super paint? the undercoat seems especially hard to remove.

Try Brun sæbe for a cheap and safe remover that smells nicer. Just dunk the miniatures in a glass jar, close the lid, and let it rest for several days. Then brush that poo poo off with an old toothbrush.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I personally think you should have done the whites with bleached bone or something. Lots of black people have kind of beige eyeballs, maybe a bit of sepia wash?

Maybe it's just me thinking the eyes are TOO white. They stand out insanely well, which bugs me for a reason I can't articulate.

Eyes in general should rarely be done with pure white for two reasons: firstly that they're not pure #ffffff naturally, and it looks weird, secondly that they're almost always in the shade of the brows, so lighting them as if they're lit from directly in front makes them look like they're glowing. Most eyes will look better done in a light-to-mid grey, probably with a little reddish or yellowish tint, rather than white.

Otherwise you risk the 'cartoon-character-at-night' look.

Nice job, though. I'm dreading painting my first eyes as and when I get back into painting (which should, possibly, be within the next few weeks, albeit my palette will be limited to the GW colours I have back home from 10 years ago that haven't yet dried out...)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Flipswitch posted:

Just a WIP I mentioned last night as I finally got a photograph going.

One of my first models and I think it's coming along nicely, I need to highlight it some more on the armour I feel, has anyone got any tips on where I can go from here too?

This is looking really good - nice and clean. Maybe try to smooth out the highlights on the shoulders a little with a bit of a wash? Although I like it as is :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I'm about to give it a very light wash and see how that turns out, thanks for the tip. :)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Because I was a good boy and decorated my nerd room I was allowed to get a display case so I can put some of my poo poo on display in a room that no one goes in rather than have my poo poo scattered all around the house or dumped in boxes.

No I didn't paint the walls with acrylics but I did get a colour mixed up that's similar to Dheneb Stone. The top two shelves are stuff painted in the last couple of months (Goblins, Elves, Space Wolves and Dark Eldar), the other shelf is a few Tyranids I painted some years ago that a friend of mine seems to have staked claim to, and some random poo poo other that I couldn't bring myself to sell off on ebay.

(Complete with reflected beer bottle and my armpit)

EDIT: Shelf 1, Some gobbo's and the edge of some elves

Shelf 2: Dark Eldar and the edge of some space wolves, then my camera died

richyp fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 14, 2011

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
When real people see this they will not think you are a worthless nerd just based on how kickass they all look. Well, after you tell them you had to assemble/paint them all that is.

(though they might think you are a worthless nerd if they know how much it all cost :ninja:)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

WhiteOutMouse posted:

When real people see this they will not think you are a worthless nerd just based on how kickass they all look. Well, after you tell them you had to assemble/paint them all that is.

(though they might think you are a worthless nerd if they know how much it all cost :ninja:)

No one comes in this room besides me anyway, besides if I gave a poo poo about people thinking I was a worthless nerd I wouldn't be able to face a class full of kids every day (judgemental little bastards). Art lessons are fun though and they thin their paints like pro's :cool:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I just binged through this whole thread in two days to gaze in awe at the pretty pictures. I've never even played a game with miniatures, and now I want to paint a billion of them. :psyduck:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Using foamcore to make terrain? Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXAwAFCpu8

Much of it is common sense, but I've found many gamers who lack common sense.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

I just binged through this whole thread in two days to gaze in awe at the pretty pictures. I've never even played a game with miniatures, and now I want to paint a billion of them. :psyduck:

This is almost exactly how I got started painting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

Because I was a good boy and decorated my nerd room I was allowed to get a display case so I can put some of my poo poo on display in a room that no one goes in rather than have my poo poo scattered all around the house or dumped in boxes.

What display case is that? It's awesome.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

GenericOverusedName posted:

This is how they got me too.

Now I am gamely trying to persuade my spazzy hands to put paint on tiny men.

Glorious.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What display case is that? It's awesome.

Unfortunately I've no idea it was left in our first house we when we bought it. When we moved it was stored in the garage, I just dug it up and cleaned it up earlier ready to be loaded with little plastic men.

I just had a look for any stickers on it but I couldn't see any sorry :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hal Gill username posted:

This is how they got me too.

Now I am gamely trying to persuade my spazzy hands to put paint on tiny men.

Glorious.

Not the only one.

I'm probably going home in the next couple of weeks to pick up all my old paints and bitz boxes, then burning some cash I don't have on some Kolinskys from the FLGS (and probably some mroe paints too, most of the old ones have dried up) to get started.

Having space for this is going to be an issue...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ah, massive oval office, knew my streak of happiness wouldn't last. My most recent model just got sent to be stripped of his paint, as it was coming out weirdly inconsistent on the larger areas, paint would be thicker in some places and grainier in others, can anyone tell me why that was?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

WIP from the samurai scenario table I'm building with a mate for a convention in three weeks. Right now I'm working on the buildings, the actual houses are mostly painted though I haven't built the roofs yet:

The spaghetti Samurai movie feel is gradually being realized:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

lilljonas posted:

WIP from the samurai scenario table I'm building with a mate for a convention in three weeks. Right now I'm working on the buildings, the actual houses are mostly painted though I haven't built the roofs yet:

That looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished thing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

*Japanese village*
You probably hear this a lot, but this is awesome.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Torabi posted:

That looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished thing.

Thanks! Adding roofs will improve it a lot. Oh, and I spent my vacation abroad, and so my wife thought I wouldn't do anything hobbywise for three weeks...

...little did she notice the green stuff and sculpting tool I snuck into my luggage. Which means that I now have roughly 200 handmade details for the village, ranging from ovens and pots to sandals and vegetables. Terrain building truly is playing dollhouse, but for men.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! Adding roofs will improve it a lot. Oh, and I spent my vacation abroad, and so my wife thought I wouldn't do anything hobbywise for three weeks...

...little did she notice the green stuff and sculpting tool I snuck into my luggage. Which means that I now have roughly 200 handmade details for the village, ranging from ovens and pots to sandals and vegetables. Terrain building truly is playing dollhouse, but for men.

You got epoxy putty on an airplane, or did you mean you snuck it into the checked baggage?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You got epoxy putty on an airplane, or did you mean you snuck it into the checked baggage?

Checked baggage. I don't want to explain to the security staff why I bring sharp metal dentist tools with me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
You are a dentist and always believe in being prepared?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Checked baggage. I don't want to explain to the security staff why I bring sharp metal dentist tools with me.

For some reason I just remembered Crying Freeman...

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 14, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

richyp posted:

No one comes in this room besides me anyway, besides if I gave a poo poo about people thinking I was a worthless nerd I wouldn't be able to face a class full of kids every day (judgemental little bastards). Art lessons are fun though and they thin their paints like pro's :cool:

gently caress, literally everything in the world makes sense now.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Why do I have a sudden desire to paint something dark blue? Am I the painting version of pregnant?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Dominion posted:

Why do I have a sudden desire to paint something dark blue? Am I the painting version of pregnant?

Not at all, you just have something on your brain. When I got my first Dreadnought I didn't get to paint it for a few weeks, but I kept thinking about how I would paint it, specifically how I would do the edge highlights with chipped metal, and picturing what it would look like.

Right now I'm on vacation yet when I'm falling asleep sometimes I think about the 12 mechanithralls I have on my table at home, waiting to be primed white and airbrushed rotting flesh.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Not at all, you just have something on your brain. When I got my first Dreadnought I didn't get to paint it for a few weeks, but I kept thinking about how I would paint it, specifically how I would do the edge highlights with chipped metal, and picturing what it would look like.

Right now I'm on vacation yet when I'm falling asleep sometimes I think about the 12 mechanithralls I have on my table at home, waiting to be primed white and airbrushed rotting flesh.

I think my issue is I don't have anything that I really should be painting dark blue. Purple chaos marines, green Salamanders, Orks. Maybe I'll ask my roommate if I can paint some of his eldar or something.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

richyp posted:

Thought I'd give this slow painting thing I keep hearing about a go. So I used pretty much nothing but wet blending and an absolute butt-load of layers on this guy and he's probably my favourite thing I've ever painted and I only started painting him because he was already stuck at the bottom of my abandoned models box pre-primed.

EDIT: Better pic.

you know what?

gently caress you!

That's what.

--
Naw I'm just kidding, I don't really try to compare myself to the painters on here so I never have to get better, I mean because we all have different talent levels.

edit: Man, if I ever paint a model to completely finished, call Guinness (then pour me a Guinness)

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jonny Nox posted:

you know what?

gently caress you!

That's what.

--
Naw I'm just kidding, I don't really try to compare myself to the painters on here so I never have to get better, I mean because we all have different talent levels.

edit: Man, if I ever paint a model to completely finished, call Guinness (then pour me a Guinness)
That's a huge picture of a tiny model. If you shaded in the mouth a bit it would look ten times better. And besides, I am sure it looks find on the tabletop as is.

Don't let good painters discourage you. Just keep practicing and having fun. Painted models are better than unpainted models.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

ffff wrong thread :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

jigokuman posted:

Don't let good painters discourage you. Just keep practicing and having fun. Painted models are better than unpainted models.
This is really good advice IMO, it's easy to be discouraged by people who have painted for a longer period and have improved from basic skills, and of course, you're only going to improve one way so it's best just to get on with painting.

E: That reminds me, I know I mentioned previously about GW Purity Seal, as I want to avoid using it, has anyone got a product to recommend in the UK? I've spotted something called Testors Dullcoat, is this the same thing or?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 15, 2011

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The best thing to do when you see someone painting better stuff than you is pick their brains for tips (which is half the purpose of this thread) and get them to show you how they do various things, if they have the time. Nothing teaches you a technique or method better than seeing it first-hand and being able to ask questions about it.

Try stuff out just to see how it works. Everybody likes painting in a different way, especially when it comes to stuff like blending methods, and you never know what'll click with you until you give it a shot.

Also, remember to have fun with it, for gently caress's sake. If you hate what you're painting, it's probably going to come out pretty crappy. If it's fun to work on, you're going to put that much more effort into making it look cool.

So this post isn't entirely just :goonsay::

quote:

E: That reminds me, I know I mentioned previously about GW Purity Seal, as I want to avoid using it, has anyone got a product to recommend in the UK? I've spotted something called Testors Dullcoat, is this the same thing or?
Dullcoat is great for cutting the shine on your models (it's a very matte topcoat), but it won't protect them very well at all - standard thread practice is to recommend a couple thin coats of gloss varnish (Testors Glosscoat is perfectly acceptable, AFAIK) before you hit it with the matte to kill the shine, at least for stuff you're gaming with.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
These guys have been on my brain for the past month so I dropped everything to get the first one painted. The models really were lovely and I enjoyed having to convert arms from my proper marine kits to work with the halberds.

And I cant agree more with the poster above me. I'd have gotten no-where with my painting if I didnt ask PV and various others in this thread how they did things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Relax folks,

my post was more a joke about the difference between a really good painter and an entirely average painter like myself, and the fact that I had a photo of that exact same model in the exact same angle just sitting on my hard drive. I am not at all angry at anyone about their painting skills.

That being said I think I'm at a weird point where I can make nice looking models that look largely like I planned for them to look, but would rather move on to the next model than actually improve the model in front of me. Combine this with my tendency to loose interest in a project (any project) once it's 75% complete and my attempts at trying a new technique for any new unit I paint tends to fall by the wayside way too often.

Good heavens that ended up being just sliiighly e/n.

• Locked thread