Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Welp...

The bike came back minus speedometer, ignition, headlight, blinkers, pouch,rear views, and gas lock. It's also been painted obviously.

Before:

After:

Getting close to having her road ready again, just got get stuff wired up and figure out a clever kill switch

Quick, someone tell me how stupid this would be

TylerC 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If you don't do that, someone here is going to force your hand into getting that brown louis vuitton leather pattern.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Quick, someone tell me how stupid this would be

If that's what it looks like, a thin cotton sheet, pretty stupid. I doubt it would last more than a few rides.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What tires are those?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
That looks wonderful, congrats on getting it rebuilt.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
How much leeway do I have with tube sizes? I have a tube which will fit 150/70/17 but the tire I'm ordering is a 150/60. Monostrato makes it sound like most tubes can be run if the sizes are close and I've had this single tube sitting in my closet for months.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That'll be fine.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Cool, saves me a bit since apparently no shops around here carry supermoto-sized tubes.

While on the subject, has anyone gone the homemade tubeless route, where you basically just seal up the spokes with silicone? It seems almost too easy not to have a few downsides.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I heard people have had good luck with that on SMJ, but most of them wrap the silicone with duct tape or something similar. I'm not sure what the tape adds but that seems to be what they do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

What tires are those?

Anyone? I'm looking for a new set for my Kawi 250.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Phat_Albert posted:

Anyone? I'm looking for a new set for my Kawi 250.

i think that those are IRC GP-110

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Noticed today after taking a longer ride on the CRF that my leg was burning. Has anyone wrapped their exhaust or put extra heat shields on? This was through Sidi race boots and leathers.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I would take that as a sign to either look at your jetting or stop trying to tour on a race engined bike. Probably both.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Noticed today after taking a longer ride on the CRF that my leg was burning. Has anyone wrapped their exhaust or put extra heat shields on? This was through Sidi race boots and leathers.

Id just get a mount welded on and toss on another heat shield.

Whitesnake_2!
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn

Z3n posted:

Id just get a mount welded on and toss on another heat shield.

Or just buy a pipe guard that attaches with normal, easy to install clamps like every other pipe guard?

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_34/products_id/1170

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whitesnake_2! posted:

Or just buy a pipe guard that attaches with normal, easy to install clamps like every other pipe guard?

That's a good idea but jesus christ $90.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
plus $44.95 if its not a 2004.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Am I the only one who happily buys parts now? Going from a sportbike to a dirtbike is like getting poo poo practically free. And that was even going from a relatively cheap sportbike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Whitesnake_2! posted:

Thats not a bad idea...not sure if it's worth $90 though. I'll start looking around for a pipe guard.

edit: and looking around 90-100 is what they are all going for.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 15, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hey Motard Goons, can I have your opinion on this: http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2478616527.html

TIA! :):respek::)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hey Motard Goons, can I have your opinion on this: http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2478616527.html

TIA! :):respek::)

I've ridden one of those converted properly into a motard and it was a blast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It will be a blast, but any bike whose life is measured in hours will be very maintenance intensive. Just be ready for that.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Speaking of maintenance, I'm going to be doing the chain/sprockets on my DRZ this weekend. It seems pretty simple, but I figured I'd ask: anything I need to look out for?

I've seen some people recommend putting red Loctite on the splines of the drive shaft, but that seems like it would be pretty drat tough to get the sprocket off the next time.

Also, the service manual calls for "grease" on the crankcase seal and shaft spacer, which I'm assuming can just be your generic multi-purpose stuff.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

toolshed posted:

Speaking of maintenance, I'm going to be doing the chain/sprockets on my DRZ this weekend. It seems pretty simple, but I figured I'd ask: anything I need to look out for?

I've seen some people recommend putting red Loctite on the splines of the drive shaft, but that seems like it would be pretty drat tough to get the sprocket off the next time.

Also, the service manual calls for "grease" on the crankcase seal and shaft spacer, which I'm assuming can just be your generic multi-purpose stuff.

I think you'll be ok without loctite. I've never put anything on the countershaft sprocket. I tend to loctite the rear sprocket nuts though. Just blue seems to do the trick.

As for grease, a little of the generic stuff should be just fine. Chances are the fling off from the chain will lubricate your front sprocket area quite well in my experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I believe what they're talking about with loctite on the DRZ sprocket is loctiting the nut that holds the sprocket on. The sprocket itself should have a little grease in the splines and thats it.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
That's what I thought too, until I saw a couple comments in this thread on advrider. Then I got confused. Either way, I don't think I'm going to bother.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433350

The one thing that I'm still unsure of is how to measure the chain slack to adjust it, because I'm pretty sure that, if I follow the service manual and push the bottom length of chain up, it's just going to run into the swingarm before it runs out of slack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, this appears to explain more http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-625998.html

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

The local Husqvarna dealership has SM630's, brand new, listed at $5999. That seems like a screaming deal. I can't necessarily afford it, but I'm sure I could find a way to fudge finances enough to get one relatively soon.

I was wondering if anyone here knew a bit about the Husky supermotos, and had opinions on owning one. For comparison, the only supermoto I've ever ridden is a KTM 690SMC, which makes riding my Kawi 650 every day a little sadder.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
What dealer has them? You're in Austin right?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

http://www.napalmmotorsports.com/

Their showroom says they have two of them, a red/white and a black/white one in stock, both listed at 6k. I'm considering dropping by on Saturday to test ride one if I can, I'm just not sure if it'd be the right bike, or if I should wait for a 690.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I'd probably go buy this wr450 if I had that kind of money.

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/mcy/2527926946.html

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Korwen posted:

http://www.napalmmotorsports.com/

Their showroom says they have two of them, a red/white and a black/white one in stock, both listed at 6k. I'm considering dropping by on Saturday to test ride one if I can, I'm just not sure if it'd be the right bike, or if I should wait for a 690.

Wait for the 690. I test rode a 630 and even uncorked from the dealer it was really underwhelming. I was happy to get back on my DRZ.

It did have nice suspension and a 6th gear, but a very revvy engine thats not fond of wheelies. Get a 690.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

2003 DRZ400e with 68 miles. I'm going to make a project out of plating it and getting 17's. I'm also considering doing the rmz250 USD fork swap.

It's really clean but the stickers are bad. The only thing bad I've found is the hex bolt on the clutch cover (I think) is a little rough so I might be replacing it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Where are you trying to plate it? If you wanna do an inverted fork swap with sumo wheels try and find some SM triples for the correct offset.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Texas. So that means I need dual headlight with switch and high beam indicator, brake light that brightens, mirror, and horn. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a SM wiring harness to make it really easy and add blinkers or if I'm just going to wire it myself. I'm capable of doing so I might go that route. I may end up just buying a lot of the S/SM parts from eBay.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is how something like the Edge tail light gets mounted without a subframe.

I'm going to hold off on the USD forks and rims at least until I get a plate and make sure that goes smoothly.

pmugowsky
Oct 4, 2008
Stalking the wild DRZ400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDrB7BwQ-Y

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008
http://allegro.pl/honda-dominator-650-cross-i1776650445.html#gallery

Good god, I want this, and I want to tard it out... Tell me your thoughts.

some photos:

Joey_Redd fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 21, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I can't offer any conversion advice, but that thing would be the tits in motard form.

edit: awesome tits, not bad tits

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I'm excited about you buying and tarding that. Rattlecan it flat black and have some crazy mad-max looking ticket printing hooligan machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pete
Aug 31, 2006
I hope you die.
Hello from London, where we have twisty roads, speed bumps and lots of traffic to play with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAOh1ZzCBo

Pete fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 25, 2011

• Locked thread