Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

ZeldaLeft posted:

House/dubstep DJs: What makes a great sunrise set? What kind of story are you trying to tell? What moments in the music (huge drops/jumpoffs, giant anthems, epic breakdowns, lyrics, crazy mixes, etc) are you trying to sync with the what positions of the sun in the sky?

I'm spinning a sunrise set or two at Burning Man, and I'd like them to be fairly wonderful :)

This record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvqJsHiquRc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Figure out a way to mix in the intro to Space Walk by Lemon Jelly as the sun peeks up from behind the mountains and you win.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I always throw in random rock songs in my dubsteps like RATM - Testify, Rammstein - Du Hast, AC/DC - Thunderstruck, and you can never go wrong with dropping a thriller/billie jean/any mj song at random in any set. In my house sets I always like to throw in cheese like Venga Boys - Boom!BoomBoom!, Deejay Alice - Better Off Alone, DJ Jean - The Launch and it always goes over well.

I can't imagine anything worse for a sunrise set at Burning Man :gonk:

As far as suggestions go, I would say your best bet is, like slimfast said, pretty and moody stuff, but sort of moody-uplifting if you know what I mean? Epic breakdowns are good, but not so much with the epic drops.

Anae fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 4, 2011

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

stuker posted:

I've been looking into getting a Traktor S4 the past couple of weeks, but I just noticed Amazon pulled any listings they had recently for actual vendors. Is that some sort of indication that an hardware upgrade's coming, or is it just a coincidence? I know the S4 gets a lot of love, but the last thing I want to do is drop $800-900 on a controller at the end of its cycle.
All the local dealers in Detroit by me are all sold out too. I think it is more of a demand issue. At least I hope it is...

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
To all you S4 brothers out there, do yourselves a favour and check out DJTT's S4 bag.
http://www.djtechtools.com/store/gear/traktor-kontrol-s4-bag.html

It will save you 30 pounds of weight on the coffin, and you can carry the rest of your poo poo in it too! Its cheaper and if you buy a good laptop stand it will add up to be around the same. Also, it's not branded! I love the Traktor logo but nothing screams STEAL ME like product logos on cases.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Firaga posted:

To all you S4 brothers out there, do yourselves a favour and check out DJTT's S4 bag.
http://www.djtechtools.com/store/gear/traktor-kontrol-s4-bag.html

It will save you 30 pounds of weight on the coffin, and you can carry the rest of your poo poo in it too! Its cheaper and if you buy a good laptop stand it will add up to be around the same. Also, it's not branded! I love the Traktor logo but nothing screams STEAL ME like product logos on cases.

yeah been trying to get a hand on this for a long while but as you can notice, the bag has been out of stock for quite some time now. They were supposed to get a new batch at end of july but nothing new yet.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Has anyone tried the NI S4 bag?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Le0 posted:

yeah been trying to get a hand on this for a long while but as you can notice, the bag has been out of stock for quite some time now. They were supposed to get a new batch at end of july but nothing new yet.

My friend actually owns this bag and I think he got his right before they went out of stock, its really great and built very well. They have been changing the ETA though which means its coming. It said 6-8 weeks before, now it says 1-3. It's too bad because I've been playing lots of gigs these past 2 weeks and I've had to carry the drat thing around in a big rear end camping bag and it looks silly. But hey, better than the box.

Twiin posted:

Has anyone tried the NI S4 bag?

The NI bag is a suitcase. It has wheels and a little handle and I'd imagine it's really great, but once again too bulky for me. Maybe if you fly a lot. I can see it being more rugged than the DJTT bag. Also its like $250...

Firaga fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 4, 2011

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Firaga posted:

My friend actually owns this bag and I think he got his right before they went out of stock, its really great and built very well. They have been changing the ETA though which means its coming. It said 6-8 weeks before, now it says 1-3. It's too bad because I've been playing lots of gigs these past 2 weeks and I've had to carry the drat thing around in a big rear end camping bag and it looks silly. But hey, better than the box.

The NI bag is a suitcase. It has wheels and a little handle and I'd imagine it's really great, but once again too bulky for me. Maybe if you fly a lot. I can see it being more rugged than the DJTT bag. Also its like $250...

oh cool then, I've been really waiting for this one particular bag.
Going to a gig with a camping bag is quite classy I think!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do think it's weird that the S4 and the NS6 are both just barely too big to fit well in a normal carry-on sized bag, it would seem like that would be a really big deal to a lot of traveling DJs.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

oredun hating on Allen & Heath again. Shocking!

Some of your complaints are valid. The 62 design is pretty old by now. But hyperbolic statements like this

doesn't earn you any credibility. "most?"

hyperbolic, yes; true, yes.(my complaints are slightly sarcastic btw)

Seriously, just everything about a 62 shouts "i was designed by engineers who have never DJed in their lives"

4 led meter? palease! that should be enough to make anyone not buy it right there.

And to the wevel, i do have a djm700 right now. im about to sell it and buy a dnx1600. the DJM has some serious reliability problems and pioneer is absolutely not as helpful as i would figure a company that sells really overpriced poo poo would be.

The djm is the poo poo, but theres like a short in it or something and sometimes 2 of my cues and my master cue and the filter engage button dont work, but everything else works fine. i could do without 2 cues(thats why i buy 4 channel mixers, so half can break and ill be alright) but the master cue going out is KILLING ME!!!

I really want a djm 900, but pioneer is not really impressing me, and they are WAY to much money.

The thing about DJ stuff is that when you use it 3 nights a week partying loving hard, stuff gets torn up and it pays to get a bunch of opinions and try out a bunch of different things. Because, as much as i hate most A&H DJ mixers i love their live sound boards(except how the PFL is MOTHERFUCKING MONO A&H WHY DO YOU DO THINGS LIKE THAT?!?) and those products work great for me, just not the DJ stuff.

And remember dudes: reliability over efx, midi, looping, "song deconstructing", etc... We are motherfuckin DJs not conductors of the electronic phat beat symphony, all that has to happen is one song transitioning to another.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

If I were starting over now I'd buy a 92 (or 42) over the 62. I'm surprised they are still making the 62, honestly, given the improvements in the designs in the later models that basically render it obsolete

edit: oh, looks like the 42 only has one filter (instead of two), that's a dealbreaker if you mix with the filters instead of the EQs

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

If I were starting over now I'd buy a 92 (or 42) over the 62. I'm surprised they are still making the 62, honestly, given the improvements in the designs in the later models that basically render it obsolete

edit: oh, looks like the 42 only has one filter (instead of two), that's a dealbreaker if you mix with the filters instead of the EQs

the 42 and 22 have some SERIOUS reliability problems. i see posts about them all over the internet and my partner is on his 4th one and its torn up now too. The longest one of his lasted is 2 months!!

I can totally see quality improving as production goes on, but right now, i give them a "stay the gently caress away" rating, even though for the price they are the finest mixers money can buy IMO. the xone 22 is seriously the perfect dj mixer, great eqs, great metering, great CF, great filter, XLR outs, efx loop, just overall awesome, EXCEPT they break all the time.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm not a DJ, but I included this in the OP of the iOS thread recently. Maybe it is interesting for some of you owning an iPad:

MiDi-to - iPad $4.99 // Website
"MiDi-to is a wireless DJ MiDi controller designed for Serato Scratch Live™. It is the first iPad MiDi controller designed for Serato that does not need any additional software to work. MiDi-to takes advantage of the new Core MIDI framework available with iOS 4.2 which minimizes setup and latency."

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

oredun posted:

the 42 and 22 have some SERIOUS reliability problems. i see posts about them all over the internet and my partner is on his 4th one and its torn up now too. The longest one of his lasted is 2 months!!

I can totally see quality improving as production goes on, but right now, i give them a "stay the gently caress away" rating, even though for the price they are the finest mixers money can buy IMO. the xone 22 is seriously the perfect dj mixer, great eqs, great metering, great CF, great filter, XLR outs, efx loop, just overall awesome, EXCEPT they break all the time.

Funny thing about the Xone22: the CF is a crap CCA circuit, meaning the CF will bleed quick. The hilarious thing about it is that the 22 has a VCA controlled filter, and if you take a look on the circuit board they could easily tap the VCA on the VCF Filter for the crossfader and get good curve plus long life.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
OK, stupid beginner time.

Anyone have a good pointer to some sites/resources/books/videos on basic DJing skills? Lots of good advice about gear in the first posts, less about what to do with it. I have friends who bedroom DJ, but they use vinyl and live 3.5 hours away, whereas my controller/software should show up in a day or two.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

fordan posted:

Anyone have a good pointer to some sites/resources/books/videos on basic DJing skills? Lots of good advice about gear in the first posts, less about what to do with it. I have friends who bedroom DJ, but they use vinyl and live 3.5 hours away, whereas my controller/software should show up in a day or two.

Which controller & software? Best bet might be to start on the manufacturer's site and check out their forum, see if there is any info to start with there.

If you want to ask particular questions here, I'd just post them up. Also maybe take a look at http://www.djtechtools.com/ and see if there is any info there.

Kind of unfortunate you don't have anyone close by to hang out with, that's how I learned how to DJ, progressing from vinyl to CDJs to Serato, over a pretty long stretch of time.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

SUBFRIES posted:

Which controller & software?

Traktor Kontrol S4 (and Traktor Pro 2). Figure I'd buy something that should be good enough for me to resist replacing anytime soon, and if I really don't like it then it looks like I can get most of my money back by selling on eBay.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

fordan posted:

This book might be useful. Written by a guy who works for NI, no less

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-DJ-Handbook-Techniques-Performer/dp/1435456645/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312917460&sr=1-1

edit: and of course there is the foundational book that *every* DJ should read

http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312917496&sr=1-1

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

This book might be useful. Written by a guy who works for NI, no less

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-DJ-Handbook-Techniques-Performer/dp/1435456645/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312917460&sr=1-1

edit: and of course there is the foundational book that *every* DJ should read

http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312917496&sr=1-1

Had already purchased & downloaded the second (although haven't read it yet), and just downloaded the first. Thanks!

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

fordan posted:

Traktor Kontrol S4 (and Traktor Pro 2). Figure I'd buy something that should be good enough for me to resist replacing anytime soon, and if I really don't like it then it looks like I can get most of my money back by selling on eBay.

In my opinion, the best way to learn is on some cheap direct drive turntables with some dusty old soul or Motown records. Learn to mix this way and lots of other genres and equipment will come naturally.I honestly don't recommend learning on controllers.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Professorbx posted:

Funny thing about the Xone22: the CF is a crap CCA circuit, meaning the CF will bleed quick. The hilarious thing about it is that the 22 has a VCA controlled filter, and if you take a look on the circuit board they could easily tap the VCA on the VCF Filter for the crossfader and get good curve plus long life.

thats funny you say that because the CF in a 22 doesnt even last 30 days!!! but it works great before it breaks.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

isomerc posted:

I honestly don't recommend learning on controllers.

I definitely see your point with controllers. I haven't had a lot of time yet to play with mine, but while trying to pick up beatmatching, I not only have to ignore the big ole Sync button that calls seductively to me but I need to keep my eyes closed so I don't see the graph the software helpfully provides telling me how far and in which direction it thinks the beat is off by. Maybe I do need to pick up some turntables to add to the setup, even though that'll make it a pretty big bedroom DJ setup. Not sure I'm completely with you on Motown/Soul, though.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

vanilla slimfast posted:

There's a local DJ around here that rumor has it has had his cd wallet thrown out of the booth by the headliner on two separate occasions as an expression of how awful he was being as an opener. don't be that guy

I know this is from PAGES back but please tell me this story.

e: was it ____-________ or T____kk?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

I know this is from PAGES back but please tell me this story.

e: was it ____-________ or T____kk?

Neither. S__ Th____. Rumor has it that one of the aforementioned headliners was Steve Lawler on the rooftop of Vinyl

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

fordan posted:

I definitely see your point with controllers. I haven't had a lot of time yet to play with mine, but while trying to pick up beatmatching, I not only have to ignore the big ole Sync button that calls seductively to me but I need to keep my eyes closed so I don't see the graph the software helpfully provides telling me how far and in which direction it thinks the beat is off by. Maybe I do need to pick up some turntables to add to the setup, even though that'll make it a pretty big bedroom DJ setup. Not sure I'm completely with you on Motown/Soul, though.

I've been DJing since I was fifteen. I started on vinyl and tapes(!).

Forget vinyl. Learning how to DJ on vinyl if you're going to be using controllers is like learning to drive a 16-wheeler because you want to buy a Honda Civic. Learn to love the Sync button. Become the best loving person in your city at using those controllers in ways that vinyl could never be used. Look forward. Be tomorrow's DJ.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Twiin posted:

Forget vinyl. Learning how to DJ on vinyl if you're going to be using controllers is like learning to drive a 16-wheeler because you want to buy a Honda Civic. Learn to love the Sync button. Become the best loving person in your city at using those controllers in ways that vinyl could never be used. Look forward. Be tomorrow's DJ.

Nailed it. I think it's silly that people get an elitist attitude about new controller dj's, and saying how they're "not real dj's due to sync, etc". I agree, they're not old school dj's who didn't have beatmatching technology. If it's there, use it. It's stupid to disregard helpful new technology that opens up so many new live opportunities.

Controllers are great too. Instead of spending x amount of time perfectly beatmatching, I can chop up a song with hot cues and loops and do some life remixing. It gives dj's a lot more free time to be creative. I think the idiots that ruin it for everyone are the ones who hit sync and cheerlead the whole time.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Twiin posted:

I've been DJing since I was fifteen. I started on vinyl and tapes(!).

this this this this and this. learning to beatmatch is never a bad thing and will totally help you with DJing or any other rhythm-based pursuit, but acting like a DJ in 2011 needs to know how to beatmatch vinyl to start is a bit silly.

hating on the sync button is the new hating on serato is the new hating on cdjs is the new hating on djs for taking guitarists' jobs is the new hating on recording technology for taking jobs from in-person musicians.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Adding to what everyone else said, no point in jumping into vinyl DJing at this point unless you're doing it solely to scratch. I'm waiting for the NS8, then I'll jump into the digital dj world. Until that happens I like my Technics and DVS. That said, the average old school DJ is still worlds better than most good controller DJs.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah but's thats because, at least from my point of view, that most controller-DJ started out playing because they saw Tiesto/Hawtin/Diplo/Whoever and they decided to become DJ's themselves as soon as possible. With the great beatmatch-barrier out of the way, you are 'ready' to go out and play after a few weeks of practise. Ignoring the fact that there is much more to learn about technique and music before one should ever be allowed to play out anywhere. With vinyl you have to practise at least for a year, but easily more, before you are even remotely good enough to play in front of an audience, giving you the time to learn more about DJ'ing before you get on stage. Hell I've been Dj'ing for the past 6 years and just now I'm at the point where I allow myself to take some credit for my mixing skills.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I learned to play songs together on Traktor with a Numark TotalControl, but I learned to mix music with vinyl+torq/serato. I would love to take a kontrol S4 and do dirty things to it though. That looks like a controller worthy of replacing my 1200s. Why not take both and combine a set of 1200s and an S4?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

THAT drat DOG posted:

I learned to play songs together on Traktor with a Numark TotalControl, but I learned to mix music with vinyl+torq/serato. I would love to take a kontrol S4 and do dirty things to it though. That looks like a controller worthy of replacing my 1200s. Why not take both and combine a set of 1200s and an S4?

yeah that's a nice setup, I don't know if the deal is still up for grabs but I got a free copy of Traktor Scratch cause I bought an S4.

I feel that learning to beatmatch is way easier on vinyl because you don't have all the distraction of traktor and sync buttons handy and beatmatching is always a skill useful to have.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Le0 posted:

yeah that's a nice setup, I don't know if the deal is still up for grabs but I got a free copy of Traktor Scratch cause I bought an S4.

I feel that learning to beatmatch is way easier on vinyl because you don't have all the distraction of traktor and sync buttons handy and beatmatching is always a skill useful to have.

This is my thought as well. The deal is still up (through Aug 23); my copy of Traktor Scratch is on a UPS truck as I type this with its timecode records and CDs. I just need to figure out if I want to spend the money for some decent turntables to do it, especially since I'm not expecting it to grow past my bedroom, or best case some friends' parties. While I love the versatility of digital and that's where my music library is, there's something undeniably sexy about vinyl.

And yes, I'm a "Tiesto/Hawtin/Diplo/Whoever" DJ-wannabe, at least inspiration-wise. It looked like fun, I love the music, and when I visited my friends' place a few hours away for a weekend and spent one of the nights hanging out in their basement while they mixed I realized that having a home setup wasn't that unreasonable.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey guys, my friend entered a contest to remix Foster the People's Helena Beat. I though he did a great job considering he has been DJing for less than a year. Would definitely love some feedback from you that I can relay to him and please vote for him if you enjoy the track.

The style is electro/dubstep. Keep in mind, I don't really care for dubstep but I actually enjoy the dub in this song and don't think it is overdone.

http://www.indabamusic.com/opportun...bmissions/69388

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

fordan posted:

And yes, I'm a "Tiesto/Hawtin/Diplo/Whoever" DJ-wannabe, at least inspiration-wise. It looked like fun, I love the music, and when I visited my friends' place a few hours away for a weekend and spent one of the nights hanging out in their basement while they mixed I realized that having a home setup wasn't that unreasonable.

Just remember for the time being you're just someone that likes to play records and everything will turn out right. Just like baking one bread doesn't make you a baker.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
A lot of vinyl djs have this sense of entitlement. I've seen plenty of vinyl djs out there that have been playing since they were old enough to walk or whatever, and it still takes them upwards of a minute to beatmatch a song properly and beyond basic EQing skills they do nothing interesting with their tracks. And yet you have the whole club screaming at them because they are flipping wax. It's no better than the ableton live premix>jesus pose the whole night thing.

I've heard vinyl djs call CDjs "pieces of plastic with circuit boards in them"
I've heard djs tell me that traktor is a fad (most of these are villalobos fans)
I've heard djs complain about serato and how it crashes all the time then turn around and say traktor sucks when somebody tells them to try it out

You all are full of it!

I've seen no name controller djs destroy a club, I've seen people with laptops hooked up to soundcards and into a mixer who just volume fade their mixes. Eric prydz still plays with CDs, villalobos still plays vinyl, diplo uses serato, WHO CARES?

I will probably never have to beatmatch again in my life. I can't see why I would unless my laptop breaks down or my soundcard or my controller and I have to use USB sticks in CDjs (I always carry usb sticks with music on them just in case), so if somebody was to ask me to teach them how to DJ, why would I start with beatmatching? They aren't going to do it and practise anyway. I would teach them about musical theory, concepts, technical aspects, techniques, etc. because that's whats going to matter when they are behind the decks.

I do agree though, that the average old school DJ is better, and controller DJs are usually subpar. But I've seen it be the other way around too.

Sjoewe posted:

Just remember for the time being you're just someone that likes to play records and everything will turn out right. Just like baking one bread doesn't make you a baker.

This is a great analogy though. When I book people for stuff, especially if its outside of their comfort zone, I always tell them "if you're not comfortable it's cool, there will be more". I feel like I owe it to my audience to put on a good show, if I can't preform I shouldn't just for the sake of being on stage. There is nothing wrong with DJing (baking) as a hobby, but just because you spin a few tracks in your bedroom doesn't mean you're good enough to play at a club (baker). You practise, you get better, and if you're serious about it you'll get your chance.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 15, 2011

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Sjoewe posted:

Does this mean I shouldn't be giving out the T-shirts with "DJ FORDANZ!!!!" I had made up?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Firaga posted:

A lot of vinyl djs have this sense of entitlement.
I'll admit until 2006 or so I was one of those vinyl curmudgeons and I think the elitist attitude stems from the fact that it no longer has a 6-18 month learning curve / indoctrination / building a collection, etc. period (I was fortunate to be on the lower end of that curve. Unemployment + working on the side at a record store definitely helped).

The bar is seen as so much lower than it was even four to five years ago both monetarily and time wise (there are similar arguments in the photography forum). My first two years I spent probably just over 14k including my decks and mixers. Tell the new ones that that is what they're looking at for cost of admittance over the next couple of years. I don't think half of the newer DJs would be DJing if it that was still the case.

Or if it was still months of pouring over distributor lists and spending 2 or 3 nights / days a week in the record store trying to get one of the limited copies that arrived or being forced to buy a 2x12 for just one b-side remix or calling record stores around the country looking for one track then being charged $40 for it after a month long search. No more instant gratification and there could be a huge dropoff.

That said, I think that learning to beatmatch with vinyl is still the best way (or with CDJs with the BPM counter covered with electrical tape) - I think it's an extremely valuable way to train your ears (I DJ in my headphones, both tracks in both ears), to really get to know your tracks, to hear all the differences in them and that when mixing you know the split second something isn't right and know which track to fix, in what direction without having to hit the sync key (whatever the gently caress that is - and holy run-on sentence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
I posted this in this same thread the last time this argument came up:

That Wicked Walrus posted:

This is stupid.

DJing is, for the most part, playing dance/club music for drunk people. Nobody on the floor knows or cares how you're playing music, they want to dance and take drugs and hopefully get laid at the end of the night. You're there to play music and as long as the output sounds good then you're doing a good job. If you play for the Real Dudes on the floor who know about DJing then you're doing it wrong, unless you're Qbert or something.

I don't care what equipment any DJ uses. I've played with people using every single kind, from controllers to Serato/Traktor to vinyl to Ableton to CDJs and everything in between. You can kill it with any of the above, and you can be terrible with any of the above.

Seriously, if you want some laughs go ask any of your non-DJ friends about DJ equipment (club girls are best for this). I asked a friend what she thinks is going on when a DJ has a laptop on stage and she had literally zero clue. Nobody gives a gently caress, use any equipment you want, just play good songs and mix them well and you're cool.

There have always been sucker DJs and there will always be sucker DJs and it has nothing to do with the equipment they're using.