Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
God, I just cannot get into this game at all. The first level is just such a pain in the rear end. I have been trying on and off for a year to get into it, but i just cannot do it :(. It is up next on my list of games to complete... grrrrr...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pogue_Mahone posted:

God, I just cannot get into this game at all. The first level is just such a pain in the rear end. I have been trying on and off for a year to get into it, but i just cannot do it :(. It is up next on my list of games to complete... grrrrr...

Put points into computers, pistol and low tech. Take the GEP gun. Sneak behind everyone and prod with the prod. If you get caught, run around a corner and smash them in the face with a crowbar or make them chase you to the robot on the docks. If you get hurt too much, there's a med bot in the crates to the left once you leave the docks.

Here's the easiest way to do it:

Hang the first left off the docks and go to the UNATCO base. Talk to one of the guards, and he'll give you the comsat code (0451). Go in there and hack the terminal to open the hatch outside. You'll find an EMP grenade down there. Use it to take out the bot patrolling the front of the statue. Use the username nsf001 and password smashthestate to log into the terminal next to the doors and disable the cameras, switch the turrets to enemy and open the door. Lure the guards to their death at the hands of the turret in the main room. Free Gunther from his cell on the first floor and give him your pistol. He'll proceed to kill everyone on the ground floor and outside. Be sure to get the sniper rifle from the guy patrolling the dark alley behind the statue. After that, just make your way up the statue and call the terrorist leader a human being.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Can you do me a favour? Can you tell me what exactly is a pain in the rear end? I always read about people complaining endlessly about the first level of Deus Ex but I just don't see it. I mean, poo poo, you can even go in guns blazing if you want and finish it.

So, what the hell gives?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

XausF1 posted:

Can you do me a favour? Can you tell me what exactly is a pain in the rear end? I always read about people complaining endlessly about the first level of Deus Ex but I just don't see it. I mean, poo poo, you can even go in guns blazing if you want and finish it.

So, what the hell gives?

it's waaay too big and empty outside the statue, and having zero augs and poor weapons skills is kind of a bummer.

It is a good introduction to DX's gameplay mechanics, though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Comic posted:

A few minutes later it would launch itself again with the level loaded. I don't understand why. I figured it out after spending 5 minutes on the first loading screen after character generation, wondering why it wasn't launching.)

The way they made the engine for IW and Thief 3 meant that it shut itself down and started up again for every level transition. This meant, among other things, that things like difficulty level in Thief 3 weren't maintained between saving and loading and that you had to reload the assets even if you quickloaded.

If your game is bugged so that it never closes the executable properly then it won't start it up again and load the next section.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

XausF1 posted:

So, what the hell gives?

The major thing is that your end goal is quite a few steps away from where you start, literally and figuratively. The first thing a new player sees upon starting is "o poo poo patrolling guards, and my brother just told me to be civil cause I'm like the police". That kind of gives the air of "don't kill people and don't get caught", even if it's totally unnecessary. Add to that all the nooks and crannies that you can get lost in, and it's very likely that someone could get stuck on the first level for hours.

Oh, MrL_JaKiri just made me think of something. For the DX:IW game crashing and having to restart manually, try running it as administrator next time you play. Windows vista and 7 have some funky UAC permissions that can prevent programs from launching other programs in certain areas.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This thread got me to go for another playthrough, and the first time I got to my office in the UNATCO base I wanted to make sure it was decorated properly - thusly, I proceeded to fill it with every flag and leather sofa I could get my hands on. On my third time in I went to check my email and lamented how the pile of stuff I collected didn't stay in my office from mission to mission.

In addition to the "come see me in my office about Lebedev and Navarre" mail from Jacobson, I also had received two mails from the UNATCO head janitor, complaining that the "heavy stuff" in my office had blocked the way for the poor, cheap and unintelligent cleaning robots he had to put up with, resulting in four of them trying to empty my office and burning out their motors in the process. My office had been emptied to keep this from happening again, explaining why it was empty again every time I came in.

Goddamn Deus Ex, you really do have all the answers, don't you? :golfclap:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Naxuz posted:

This thread got me to go for another playthrough, and the first time I got to my office in the UNATCO base I wanted to make sure it was decorated properly - thusly, I proceeded to fill it with every flag and leather sofa I could get my hands on. On my third time in I went to check my email and lamented how the pile of stuff I collected didn't stay in my office from mission to mission.

In addition to the "come see me in my office about Lebedev and Navarre" mail from Jacobson, I also had received two mails from the UNATCO head janitor, complaining that the "heavy stuff" in my office had blocked the way for the poor, cheap and unintelligent cleaning robots he had to put up with, resulting in four of them trying to empty my office and burning out their motors in the process. My office had been emptied to keep this from happening again, explaining why it was empty again every time I came in.

Goddamn Deus Ex, you really do have all the answers, don't you? :golfclap:

This game has been out how long and I'm still discovering new stuff about it?

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Naxuz posted:

Is this for real?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
drat I hope that's true. As soon as I get back to UNATCO I'm gonna try it out.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Poppleganger posted:

Is this for real?
It's from Shifter, but yeah, it's real. I haven't actually seen any of it ingame, but from looking at the code there's a a couple surprises in store for you if you keep messing with the janitor.

Lork fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 15, 2011

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm loving the look for Gunther in the New Vision mod. He looks much more like a raggedy piece of meat with a bunch of mechanical augmentations grafted on.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

A little late, but I think DX:IW has some interesting plot development and themes but is pretty much ruined in the way it is told and how Alex relates (most characters, actually), engine limitations, and a kind of spoiled setting. Personally, I actually like quite a bit of it, and at least the basic idea of continuity ties in very well. I think it is much more enjoyable than Project: Snowblind and would've hated to see Deus Ex go (or depending how you look at it, continue to go) down that line. I had a post about some ideas on how to get it running on the older DX:HR thread.

TNM took a long time to warm up to me (ABI) and I really dislike the premise and references behind it, but it feels pretty good playing and generally the levels are designed rather well. I'll probably even replay it a couple times, though more like a mod and less "role-playing" (if you'd call it that).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I have a question, again.

I'm back in New York, and there's a person who wants a gun. I'm aware of what happens if I don't give him it, but the only gun he's willing to accept is my heavily upgraded pistol. Is there a place I can get a different one for him?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 15, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I think he'll also take a crossbow if you can find one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I have a crossbow, and he won't take it. He won't take my silenced pistol, either. I've got a Pistol, Silenced Pistol, Sniper Rifle, LAMs, a GEP, a mini-crossbow, a crowbar, a riot prod, pepper spray and a PS20.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
If you have Shifter, you can walk up to him with a weapon out and press the drop weapon button. According to the patch notes it's supposed to give the weapon to the NPC, but I haven't tried it. Give him a GEP gun and see if he blows himself up.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
What convinced me that this game was amazing was right after the statue level in the office, there was a women in the women's bathroom that scolds you for entering. I messed with her a few times because it was funny, and she says that she'll tell her supervisor. I forget about it pretty quickly.

So right when i'm talking to (i don't remember his name), at the end he says something along the lines of "oh and JC.. stop harassing women in the bathroom"

:allears:

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

If you have Shifter, you can walk up to him with a weapon out and press the drop weapon button. According to the patch notes it's supposed to give the weapon to the NPC, but I haven't tried it. Give him a GEP gun and see if he blows himself up.

If you have Shifter he's an absolute killing machine with a flamethrower.

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mister Snips posted:

What convinced me that this game was amazing was right after the statue level in the office, there was a women in the women's bathroom that scolds you for entering. I messed with her a few times because it was funny, and she says that she'll tell her supervisor. I forget about it pretty quickly.

So right when i'm talking to (i don't remember his name), at the end he says something along the lines of "oh and JC.. stop harassing women in the bathroom"

:allears:

I am still convinced that going into the women's toilets is the best example of what makes Deus Ex great, as well as being the greatest choice ever given to the player in any videogame. The main difference between going in the toilets or not and any other videogame choice is the fact that it is not highlighted as a choice. Just like in real life there is no pop-up that occurs saying "enter" or "do not enter" and no dialogue tree pointing out your options. Instead you either enter the bathroom or not of your own volition.

Another beauty of the toilets is the fact that it scolds the player for playing the game as though it was a game, making them change the way they think about Deus Ex. The only reason to go into the women's toilets in game is to see if there are any goodies (insert vagina joke), which of course there would not be in real life. After you get called out on going into the bathroom you realise that their really would be no reason for JC to go in there. This single choice is just one of the many things that pulls you into the game, making it seem more real and lifelike despite the fact that you are a superhuman secret agent.

In conculsion, I like toilets.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I'm loving the look for Gunther in the New Vision mod. He looks much more like a raggedy piece of meat with a bunch of mechanical augmentations grafted on.

Could you post a picture? Because I have installed New Vision but can't really see the big difference. (Hint: I might have done it wrong. I'm not great at mucking around with PC games).
Sure, I think the weapons look better, but without a direct comparison, it's hard for me to see it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Anatharon posted:

I have a crossbow, and he won't take it. He won't take my silenced pistol, either. I've got a Pistol, Silenced Pistol, Sniper Rifle, LAMs, a GEP, a mini-crossbow, a crowbar, a riot prod, pepper spray and a PS20.

Drop the pistol, then talk to him.

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anatharon posted:

In vanilla if you drop your upgraded pistol on the ground the next baddie you loot will have a new pistol on him to give to Gunther, then you can pick your old pistol back up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Drop the pistol, then talk to him.

Ah, that worked.

Paul is very :black101: when he wants to be.

Dorktor Doom
Aug 26, 2002
I've reinstalled the game along with hdtp, biomod, NewVision, katie's Direct3D 10 v. 79, and Katie's custom launcher. Everything works great aside from the fact that at the center of the screen the game will constantly display a solid, white crosshair at the center of the screen, even in menus. I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to what I could do to get rid of it.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I'm a little late to this, but I know my first run on the opening level was agonizing mainly because I had no idea of how short-sighted and unaware the enemies were. I assumed that they could see as well as I could, which made me ultra-cautious and slow while sneaking around the giant open spaces. Now that I'm familiar with how the game works I can run all over the island without getting caught, making things much more quick and fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Iacen posted:

Could you post a picture? Because I have installed New Vision but can't really see the big difference. (Hint: I might have done it wrong. I'm not great at mucking around with PC games).
Sure, I think the weapons look better, but without a direct comparison, it's hard for me to see it.

Did you add that one line to the deusex.ini or whatever .ini it is that tells it to go get the textures from the NV dir?

If not you can just extract into Textures and overwrite, that's what I did.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Iacen posted:

He's talking about the abandoned HDTP project. You can see the pictures on the far right. It looks fantastic.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

He's talking about the abandoned HDTP project. You can see the pictures on the far right. It looks fantastic.

I applied that drat patch ages ago and didn't see a change. Maybe I had to start a new game, but yeah that's what my Gunther looks like now. (I thought it was odd that Anna Navarre didn't look any different)

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I applied that drat patch ages ago and didn't see a change. Maybe I had to start a new game, but yeah that's what my Gunther looks like now. (I thought it was odd that Anna Navarre didn't look any different)

Are you using Shifter? There's special instructions for getting the two to run together.

quote:

**HDTP RELEASE #1 USERS** You need to move or copy the HDTPanim.utx file
into your C:\DeusEx\Textures folder for Shifter to work properly with HDTP.
This file is installed to C:\DeusEx\HDTP\Textures by default. You must also use
the NORMAL Deus Ex/Shifter exe file. Do NOT run HDTP.exe or Shifter will not be
running when you do!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I finished Deus Ex for the first time. So, here's my thoughts as a first time player:

:siren: Major ending spoilers :siren:

I ended up going with Tong's urging and took out the world's communication. I really hated my options at the end. None of them felt right, but at least that felt the least wrong. Total communication breakdown certainly would be.. Problematic, but it's nothing humanity can't get over.

I went in expecting greatness, and really, the game impressed me even more then I expected it to. Despite the cheesy voiceacting and outdated models, the plot drew me in. The levels were well designed; I'd played through Liberty Island a few times before and enjoyed it then, and I enjoyed it yet again. I think it takes far more flak then it deserves.

There was a few parts I really didn't like. The Airfield after the Mole People lair was annoying because of how hard it was to judge where Security Bots were, where they could see, and where they'd turn at the end of a patrol length. I didn't like the second visit to the 'Ton, either. The situation with the Rentons was annoying for a few reasons (No matter how JoJo dies, the speech is basically the same except with Sandra deciding to stay or leave), or the juggling of the inventory instead of just listing what weapons I had that Mr. Renton would take. (Not use or give back.)
It's unfortunate that there's absolutely no indication that you can save Paul, either. I remembered a similar situation in Iji, and felt that the games were similar enough that trapping the door with a LAM and Gas Grenade would help. Then all the MIBs and UNATCO agents were dead, so I reloaded and killed the MIB, before Paul killed one beside me and the death explosion took me to the MJ12 secret base.

The biggest problem was how dark everything was. I thought it was cool for awhile, as it helped demonstrate that the game took place over a very short period of time, but by the time I was crawling around Hong Kong, it was extremely irritating. I could only use all my augs at once for some reason, so I couldn't even just leave Light on half the time.

The inventory management puzzle, as it's called, wasn't too bad - Until The Dragon's Tooth. I do like that style on inventory, as it means I can't carry around three big ticket items as well as a few more multi-use weapons, it was really annoying to have to ditch my Sniper Rifle to make room for the sword, as impressively lethal as it was.

I was a bit annoyed at combat, though. Melee weapon ranges were hard to judge; I frequently would sneak up behind a person and use my prod, but then I'd simply alert them to my presence.

There's a pretty big difficulty jump, too. NSF, UNATCO and MJ12 troopers are pathetically easy even in large numbers with heavy weapons, but MJ12 Commandos, Men In Black, (To a degree) Grays and War Bots are really powerful and all need accurate aim/snap reactions/skillful sneak attacking.

Lots of :words: there. I might have more to say, but all in all, Deus Ex was quite incredible and worthy of all the praise it got. I also liked the level design (For buildings; Hong Kong, Paris and so on themselves were annoying,) and musical score, too.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Regarding melee range - just sneak up behind your victims until you are colliding with them. This will not alert them to your presence because no NPCs in Deus Ex have any feeling in their legs. That or JC is just such an agile mofo that he can appear to be pressing up against someone's rear end without so much as touching them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
BTW you will truly be a Deus Ex pro once you figure out a way to carry a GEP gun, sniper rifle, and Dragons Tooth Sword for the bulk of the last half of the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

BTW you will truly be a Deus Ex pro once you figure out a way to carry a GEP gun, sniper rifle, and Dragons Tooth Sword for the bulk of the last half of the game.
Endgame loadout on my last run, at the start of Area 51: Starting Pistol, modified into the ultimate killing machine. Sniper rifle, starting GEP gun, Dragon's Tooth, assault shotgun, riot prod. Max ammo for all weapons but pistol and sniper rifle. EMP Grenades, full stack, never used. Scramble grenades, 5, never used. LAMs, full stack, used for lockpicking. Lockpicks, full stack. Multitools, full stack. Medkits, full stack. Biocells, full stack.

I believe that was everything, although I might be forgetting a grenade or something. I know I didn't have gas grenades, because I dropped them along with the pepper spray and a couple other things for the assault shotgun.

Area 51 is pretty resource-intensive, so I generally play very conservatively with items until then. You need very few lockpicks or multitools for most of the game, since there's a nanokey or datapad for most doors and keycodes, and you still have your GEP and LAMs. But I couldn't remember where the code was for the UC controls in Area 51 or find the codes for some of the aug upgrades there, so I burned through most of my multitools. Unlike the rest of the game, Area 51 doesn't have much in the way of hidden ammo caches to replenish what you use, and it has a ton of enemies, especially when you're dealing with the greasel/karkian UC. But it is pretty cathartic to finally get to use my maxed-out collection of WP Rockets, Sabot shot, and other collected supplies.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008
Just want to say that I've played this game countless times in the last 11 years, and just last night I discovered the underground entrance to the warehouse basement in Hell's Kitchen. Popped my head out and blew the generator with the LAW from the MJ12 base in the sewer. Thought I was the poo poo until I remembered I was in the basement and had to get all the way up to the extraction point on the roof. Went back out the way I came, climbed up to the roof, and found Gunther with a pile of dead bodies. This game. :allears:

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I thought this was mandatory. Doing a non-lethal run, these all ended up in my inventory for the entire game.

EDIT: \/\/\/I had no idea this even existed. :aaaaa:

RichieWolk fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 16, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I can't play Deus Ex anymore without using the inventory cheat that lets you hide items behind other items. What if I need those grenades?? Or a shotgun???

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

My first ever play through was this year and yeah once I acquired all of those items I never dropped them for anything else.

I did have a lot of fun with the flamethrower early on in the game though. It's not a very practical weapon but it's very amusing setting dudes on fire and watching them run around screaming.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Do I REALLY need the Deus Exe fixer thing described in the OP? I just got the game from fantastic goon Newtie and played through the tutorial without any issues. My laptop is ~2 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'm replaying for the third or fourth time, and I could barely bring myself to slog through the Paris catacombs. The lack of a HUD map combined with the darkness makes that part a giant headache. Don't need the map any other time though. :cool:

I keep seeing people talking about upgrading the pistol; I usually don't bother after Hong Kong and just sneak and :black101: with the Dragon's Tooth/sniper/grenades.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 16, 2011