Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Maxwell Adams posted:

I combined Brutal Doom with Delta Invasion.

Holy crap, Maxwell where did you get that map? I tried Google but all I could find were dead links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy crap, Maxwell where did you get that map? I tried Google but all I could find were dead links.

It's part of the Delta Invasion pack for Skulltag. You can find a working mirror here.

You'll want dtinv3-m.pk3 & dtinv3c.pk3

My question stands though - other than UT&T, Armageddon and Alpha/Delta (Alpha in included in Delta invasion), any other good Invasion packs of note?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 15, 2011

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Doom indirectly led to me meeting my wife. I first got the internet to access ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames and a long time later I met a girl online and eventually married her.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dominic White posted:

It's part of the Delta Invasion pack for Skulltag. You can find a working mirror here.

You'll want dtinv3-m.pk3 & dtinv3c.pk3

My question stands though - other than UT&T, Armageddon and Alpha/Delta (Alpha in included in Delta invasion), any other good Invasion packs of note?

Medieval Invasion for Heretic is pretty decent, albeit not-Doom. Or maybe I'm just so starved for Invasion maps that I'll play anything!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Doom indirectly led to me meeting my wife. I first got the internet to access ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames and a long time later I met a girl online and eventually married her.

Doom, bringing people together. :allears:

Also, thanks for pointing me in the right direction Dominic!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

New version of Brutal Doom out! ZDoom and Skulltag versions.

Changelog posted:

- Fixed a bug in Skulltag causing enemy zombies and friendly marines to desync during the fire animation when playing online. (This bug was causing the server understand that the monster is staying in a position and shooting against players, while clients could see the monster roaming around, but unable to shot it)
- Gore decorations (like dead marines, gibed corpses, etc.) now have large blood pools around them, and if they are close a wall, it wil generate blood decals at nearby walls at game start, giving the level a gorier and bloodier aspect. (I suggest turning your cl_maxdecals to 99999, so, the decals spawned by decorative gib piles don't vanish after some time)
- After killing any enemy, a large blood pool will form under it, and unlike the small ones, this one will last forever. (This feature and the above are the reasons for calling this version the "Bloodier and Gorier".)
- Now, all small monsters can be used as Meat Shields: The Zombiemen, the Shotgunguys, and the Imps. To use a monster as a Meat Shield, first you need a Berserk Pack. Then, when one of the aforementioned monsters gets grievously wounded (unable to attack, unable to move/crawling, and bleeding to death), punch him in the chest. Also, now the Meat Shield still can absorb damage when you are firing, but only damage that comes from the left flank. Also, Meatshields now can be destroyed if they absorb too much damage.
- Two new fatalities included: Now, fatalities can be performed against Arachnotrons, and other players in a Deathmatch game.
- Fixed a bug with Archvile dealing only 10 damage per attack. Now it can deal up to 80.
- Now the players can salute each other in Multiplayer pressing Z or X (each of one is a different animation). Also, if you press Z or X during a fatality execution, you will make a "victory pose" right after the fatality is concluded, while the camera still is in 3rd person.)
- Lots of new special effects for monster projectiles. A new animation for the Baron of Hell when he uses his special triple ball attack.
- Reduced smoke from weapons, and many projectiles and effects, to improve framerate in old computers.
- Reduced Minigun's recoil. It will work better now, both in singleplayer and multiplayer.
- When using Minigun's Alt-Fire, accuracy will be increased by 40%.
- Seems like the bug causing captured Marines to be executed by monsters before the player could see them returned in 0.10b, but now it's fixed again

Get yer murderface on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

New version of Brutal Doom out! ZDoom and Skulltag versions.

Get yer murderface on.

I was coming here to post this, too. Brutal Doom makes the Mancubus one of the most enjoyable enemies to lure into friendly fire. The ensuing chaos of fireballs, flaming zombies, and flying body parts is magical. :munch:

I've been putting some more time into The Ultimate Torment and Torture, and I have to say that it is seriously one of the best wads I've played in a long time.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
I've given up on trying to get fraps to work on my PC. However, I have screen recording software on my macintosh that is VASTLY superior.

Just downloaded Skulltag for OSX. If I want to play Doom II or any custom wad, can I just run things as they are (e.g. transfer doom2.wad from my PC) or are there other steps that will need to be taken?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I remember a kind of epic Doom 2 WAD which was huge (and I believe, a single level). It took place on an enormous spaceship, part of which was either infected by or being devoured by an alien lifeform. I think it was just a WAD, not a TC. Does this ring any bells? I could spend hours exploring that level.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo they added AI co-op buddies in Brutal Doom?? These guys run around like retarded bees but they're absolutely hilarious.

Also I apparently remember absolutely nothing about Doom 1 past the first episode.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo they added AI co-op buddies in Brutal Doom?? These guys run around like retarded bees but they're absolutely hilarious.

Also I apparently remember absolutely nothing about Doom 1 past the first episode.

Doom 1 episode 1 is probably my favorite Doom experience of all. It's probably just because I played the shareware so much back in the day and it's nostalgia kicking in, but it's the most fun I have with Doom.

It's also been really difficult with Brutal Doom, good lord!

Also, speaking of... how did they possible make it more gory? :psyduck:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Inferno is the best episode :colbert:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo they added AI co-op buddies in Brutal Doom??

They're the replacement for the completely useless invisibility powerup. If enemies have seen both you AND a hostage, they'll try to kill the hostage, though, so you've got to work to keep them alive.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You can minigun cacodemons in half :pwn:

And man old level design was so weird. Everything is just nonsensical random-rear end hallways with weird textures but somehow Doom make it flow. Episode 2: Halls of the Damned is a mindfuck.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

You can minigun cacodemons in half :pwn:

And man old level design was so weird. Everything is just nonsensical random-rear end hallways with weird textures but somehow Doom make it flow. Episode 2: Halls of the Damned is a mindfuck.

Yeah,back then they couldn't really make anything look like anything.Still a nonsensical level design that's fun to play is far better than any attempt at realistic maps.(Looking at you,Doom 2)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Agreed. Mt. Erebus has got to be one of the strangest levels I've ever played.

Still with some old games the nonsensical levels combined with repetitive textures completely killed it. Thankfully Doom avoids this problem.

e: goddamn the first level of Thy Flesh Consumed is hard

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 15, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I don't have to download brutaldoomregen again, right?

E: the answer is no.

Also, this update rules. The new death/maim animations are awesome, as well as the pools of blood. gently caress me I love it!

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 15, 2011

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Mak0rz posted:

Inferno is the best episode :colbert:
E3M1 and E3M9 are my favorite pair of levels in Doom. :love: I love that kind of mindscrew.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

e: goddamn the first level of Thy Flesh Consumed is hard

If you think that's hard, wait until you get to the next level. You're going to love that one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mill Village posted:

If you think that's hard, wait until you get to the next level. You're going to love that one.

Well I figured out one of my problems. I don't know if it's a bug with gzdoom or Brutal Doom or what but in E4M1 if you jump into the building with the chaingun and then hang a left you come to a dead end. Only it's really not because even though it's a solid wall you can't walk or see through you can still shoot through it and be shot through it. I couldn't figure out where the gently caress I was getting hit from until I managed to kill a few dudes just by firing into a seemingly solid wall.

e: holy balls this next level :stare: Were these actually made by id or were they user levels? Everything is so jam-packed tight together that it doesn't feel like the rest of Doom 1 and so far it seems like they just love spamming Barons of Hell at you. Ugh

e: man gently caress it. i beat level 2 but this episode feels more like a collection of lovely fan maps than an actual good Doom episode. where's the atmosphere? it's just rooms chock-full of enemies, lava everywhere, and cheap damage. hell the third map just starts you out in the open getting fired on from every direction. blarf

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 15, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Thy Flesh Consumed was designed after Doom was out for a while and intended to be for hardcore players and all that.

Can anyone reccomend some good WADs from like, before 2000 that aren't the canonical megawads like Alien Vendetta and so on?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Welp, I made it to map25 on Ultra-Violence in Alien Vendetta without cheating, as long as you don't count savegames as cheating :v:

Managed to push my way to the last hallway and there was something like two Cyberdemons and a room full of 30 Archviles, and I gave up. I had to IDDQD to proceed.

Once I finished that map, I spawned on map26, and there's no goddamn way I'm gonna finish this game on UV. It was a nice run, Alien Vendetta. Well played.

Now for more megawads!

Edit: Also skipped the Pyramid level.

manero fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 16, 2011

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

manero posted:

Once I finished that map, I spawned on map26, and there's no goddamn way I'm gonna finish this game on UV. It was a nice run, Alien Vendetta. Well played.

Map26 (Dark Dome) is literally one of the most fun and memorable levels I've ever played. Give it a shot, I enjoyed the hell out of working my way through it, bit by bit.

And then I did it on hardcore (no quicksaves!)

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought
Journey to Hell (never made it out of beta), is an insane megawad that ups the ante with the HR gameplay. Its tosses cyberdemons, spider masterminds and archviles at you like they were barons of hell. MAP26 & 29 are especially insane, but the whole megawad is intense.
Trouble is, the author had some good ideas, but its no where near the quality of the scythes, Sunder or AV for example, due to its beta status. Though it had it's moments.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
How do you use meat shields in Brutal Doom? There's no documentation on the feature and the Brutal Doom thread said it involved punching an Imp / Zombie when they were in the "dying" animation. But whenever I walk up and punch an Imp with its guts hanging out, I just punch them in the face and they die.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dammit, I can't find this anywhere and want to combine these wads to play together. How do I get GZdoom to load brutal doom plus the new soundtrack? Whenever I launch GZdoom it just loads the regular version plus the graphics enhancements. I have to associate wad files with GZdoom to get them to work. But what about multiple ones?

EDIT: I read something on the page before about dragging and dropping both onto GZdoom, gonna try that. And something in the OP too. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 16, 2011

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How do you use meat shields in Brutal Doom? There's no documentation on the feature and the Brutal Doom thread said it involved punching an Imp / Zombie when they were in the "dying" animation. But whenever I walk up and punch an Imp with its guts hanging out, I just punch them in the face and they die.

I believe you have to have the Berserk powerup first before you can use them as a meat shield.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Well I figured out one of my problems. I don't know if it's a bug with gzdoom or Brutal Doom or what but in E4M1 if you jump into the building with the chaingun and then hang a left you come to a dead end. Only it's really not because even though it's a solid wall you can't walk or see through you can still shoot through it and be shot through it. I couldn't figure out where the gently caress I was getting hit from until I managed to kill a few dudes just by firing into a seemingly solid wall.

e: holy balls this next level :stare: Were these actually made by id or were they user levels? Everything is so jam-packed tight together that it doesn't feel like the rest of Doom 1 and so far it seems like they just love spamming Barons of Hell at you. Ugh

e: man gently caress it. i beat level 2 but this episode feels more like a collection of lovely fan maps than an actual good Doom episode. where's the atmosphere? it's just rooms chock-full of enemies, lava everywhere, and cheap damage. hell the third map just starts you out in the open getting fired on from every direction. blarf
That issue with E4M1 isn't a bug, it's just the way the level is built. Here's a screenshot of the red key area from Doom Builder 2.

(The pink square is the red key, for reference). What they wanted to happen was to have monsters teleport in when you pick up the red key, the monsters in the room to the right teleport in near the start of the level while the ones on the left teleport into the building you are in, but unfortunately they needed to figure out a way to get monsters to wake up so they could walk into the teleport lines (the green lines). They hadn't yet realised that you can get gunfire noise to wake up monsters in completely separate areas of the level if you built it in a certain way, so instead they just made connected rooms with a fake wall on each side so the monsters could see you and wake up. Of course then they had the smart idea of making the enemies hitscan so they shoot you through the fake wall. Doh.

I know that E4M2 was made by John Romero in about 4 hours, for what it's worth. I like the level a lot even if it is balls hard, but overall I don't think Episode 4 is really all that great.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

H2Omelon posted:

They hadn't yet realised that you can get gunfire noise to wake up monsters in completely separate areas of the level if you built it in a certain way

Just for academic knowledge, how would you do this? Make the two sectors linked (like they both highlight when you mouseover in doom builder)? I am not a level designer but I've goofed around with doombuilder before.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
To celebrate a new release of Brutal (Brütal?) Doom I thought I'd grab a new WAD or two to play. Did you all know the second Google result for idgames is the download of Alien Vendetta?

It's time to see if downloading this eight megabytes sweet jesus is worth it.

e. Anyone know how to change which monitor fullscreen GZDoom shows up on? It wants to come up on my secondary monitor and I can't see how to change it.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Mantle posted:

Just for academic knowledge, how would you do this? Make the two sectors linked (like they both highlight when you mouseover in doom builder)? I am not a level designer but I've goofed around with doombuilder before.
Yes that's exactly right. In Doom Builder 2 you select two sectors then press j to link them, and if you want to separate them you go into make sectors mode (press m) and click on one of them to de-link it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Vintersorg posted:

Dammit, I can't find this anywhere and want to combine these wads to play together. How do I get GZdoom to load brutal doom plus the new soundtrack? Whenever I launch GZdoom it just loads the regular version plus the graphics enhancements. I have to associate wad files with GZdoom to get them to work. But what about multiple ones?

EDIT: I read something on the page before about dragging and dropping both onto GZdoom, gonna try that. And something in the OP too. :3:

Seeing as I keep seeing this sort of question, might I point you towards ZDL. It allows you to easily point GZDoom towards any number of WADs and arrange their load order. I think it's mentioned in the OP but not many people seem to pick up on it.

but thou must!
Apr 30, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

To celebrate a new release of Brutal (Brütal?) Doom I thought I'd grab a new WAD or two to play. Did you all know the second Google result for idgames is the download of Alien Vendetta?

It's time to see if downloading this eight megabytes sweet jesus is worth it.

e. Anyone know how to change which monitor fullscreen GZDoom shows up on? It wants to come up on my secondary monitor and I can't see how to change it.

These console commands should help. You probably need to restart the game for the change to take effect.

quote:

vid_adapter (integer) (OpenGL or Win32 Only)

Default: 1
Defines which screen is used if multiple monitors are available. A list of available video adapters can be obtained by using the vid_listadapters console command.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

H2Omelon posted:

:words:

I know that E4M2 was made by John Romero in about 4 hours, for what it's worth. I like the level a lot even if it is balls hard, but overall I don't think Episode 4 is really all that great.

Thanks for droppin' the fact bomb. But yeah it's not really the difficulty that turned me off of Episode 4, the levels themselves just aren't as interesting and don't flow nearly as well as any of the others.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Some of Thy Flesh Consumed was meh, but several levels were great. The one with the long level over slime and the cyberdemon at one end was a masterpiece, IMO. It kind of pushed what people expected in level design.

This isn't exactly as far back as this thread goes, but I just played through Scourge of Armagon, and man, I miss Quake level design. It was always interesting to see what a skilled person could come up with when using very basic tools, yet having no requirement whatsoever to conform to any form of reality. In particular, there are no more long hallways anymore. For that matter, there's no more melee attackers anymore. Except in Serious Sam.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Golbez posted:

Some of Thy Flesh Consumed was meh, but several levels were great. The one with the long level over slime and the cyberdemon at one end was a masterpiece, IMO. It kind of pushed what people expected in level design.

"Masterpiece" is an interesting way of spelling "son of a bitch".

Also I just finished episode 3 of Wolfenstein 3D. "gently caress you, ghost wizard Hitler" is not a sentence I ever expected to say.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Yodzilla posted:

Thanks for droppin' the fact bomb. But yeah it's not really the difficulty that turned me off of Episode 4, the levels themselves just aren't as interesting and don't flow nearly as well as any of the others.

After just finishing my Doom through Doom 2 complete playthrough, I really feel like Thy Flesh Consumed is a dry run for Doom 2 level design. It's definitely more difficult ( I guess since it goes at the end of Doom, it's gotta keep ramping things up? Where as Doom 2 had to appeal to potential new purchasers as well? ) but the levels have a real similar vibe, to me at least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

"Masterpiece" is an interesting way of spelling "son of a bitch".

Also I just finished episode 3 of Wolfenstein 3D. "gently caress you, ghost wizard Hitler" is not a sentence I ever expected to say.
They're actually marionettes with flamethrowers in their chests. Though, this IS Wolfenstein 3D, so Ghost Wizard Hitler is very possible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well I stopped being such a pussy and beat Thy Flesh Consumed. It really wasn't all that bad once you got past level 2 and almost like the difficulty curve was completely opposite of what it was supposed to be. By the end I had so much plasma saved up that I could just BFG all of the boss enemies to death and not have to worry about a drat thing.

And some of the levels were actually pretty cool. Level 3 that starts you out in the open getting fired on from all directions ended up being my favorite.

e: man doom guy is kind of a fatass

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Well I stopped being such a pussy and beat Thy Flesh Consumed. It really wasn't all that bad once you got past level 2 and almost like the difficulty curve was completely opposite of what it was supposed to be. By the end I had so much plasma saved up that I could just BFG all of the boss enemies to death and not have to worry about a drat thing.

I finished the final boss of Thy Flesh Consumed without even realising that I'd done it. I just went mad with the BFG, killed everything, then went back through the level to restock on ammo and health before jumping into the warp at the end to what I thought would the final boss. I figured I was going to battle Satan or something...