Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

arioch posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5K4hbndK68

Sorry, I have hay fever so I'm trying to suppress a sneeze/cough the entire goddamned time.

What size tan is that they are housed in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Dono posted:

What size tan is that they are housed in?

Depends on if you're going to tang police me :P

It's the 20gal custom I was posting about upthread

edit: I use the changewater (a full 5gal bucket) from the big tank to do WCs on it though. I'm debating trying to plumb the two tanks together because of the chemical warfare issues I will face.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 4, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Nah I don't tang nazi. I personally adhere to the standards but I realize there is leeway, especially if you have future plans etc.

I'm more of a damsel police. I will hurt people when they cycle with damsels (or any other live critters).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dono posted:

I'm more of a damsel police. I will hurt people when they cycle with damsels (or any other live critters).

Yeah, in a world where you can just go straight for the cured/cooked live rock and live sand samples there's no reason to full cycle a tank, in my opinion.

I really don't have anything against people using feeder-type fish, though.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Dono posted:

Why? They (damsels and chromis) are hardy enough to handle it and they get free roam of a giant, empty tank for weeks / months.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

optikalus posted:

Why? They (damsels and chromis) are hardy enough to handle it and they get free roam of a giant, empty tank for weeks / months.

you trollin me bro?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Dono posted:

you trollin me bro?

No, I 'cycled' my 90 with 4 chromis. Didn't lose a single one. It wasn't until the tank had been up for months and I added a flame angel that they started dying out. Still had two when I got rid of everything.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I've got my first tank started! I've got a clarkii living in the anenome, and I just picked up a few frags from a local reefer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

optikalus posted:

No, I 'cycled' my 90 with 4 chromis. Didn't lose a single one. It wasn't until the tank had been up for months and I added a flame angel that they started dying out. Still had two when I got rid of everything.

Just because they lived through it doesn't mean it was a pleasant experience. The ammonia burns their eyes and gills like acid. You could probably live through being contained for 6 weeks in a room with hydrochloric gas in it, as long as there was enough oxygen, but that doesn't mean it will be fun. Add to the fact that it is completely unnecessary to use fish to cycle a tank, and I'm not sure why you would. Unless you didn't know any better or you were a sociopath.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Hey guys. I started my first saltwater tank almost 5 months ago and things have been going pretty well so far. I have a Biocube 14 gallon tank, with everything pretty much stock. I've been told by a ton of people on other forums to switch to the media basket style filtration, so I've started removing bioballs to prepare for that. There is also a Oceanic protein skimmer in the back.

Here's the full tank shot:

Inside I have:
Ocellaris Clown
Sixline Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby
--
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
5 assorted snails
--
Kenya Tree
Branching Hammer (just added a few days ago)

One issue I am still dealing with is detritus... I have a good amount of flow through the tank but I don't know if the stock pump is powerful enough to pull stuff into the back chambers. I vacuum the rock when I do water changes, but it would be nice if more was just filtered out. Are there any other scavengers that would be compatible with my tank that could help with this? Maybe a brittle star?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gambl0r posted:

Hey guys. I started my first saltwater tank almost 5 months ago and things have been going pretty well so far. I have a Biocube 14 gallon tank, with everything pretty much stock. I've been told by a ton of people on other forums to switch to the media basket style filtration, so I've started removing bioballs to prepare for that. There is also a Oceanic protein skimmer in the back.

Here's the full tank shot:

Inside I have:
Ocellaris Clown
Sixline Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby
--
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
5 assorted snails
--
Kenya Tree
Branching Hammer (just added a few days ago)

One issue I am still dealing with is detritus... I have a good amount of flow through the tank but I don't know if the stock pump is powerful enough to pull stuff into the back chambers. I vacuum the rock when I do water changes, but it would be nice if more was just filtered out. Are there any other scavengers that would be compatible with my tank that could help with this? Maybe a brittle star?

This is pretty much the exact tank I want to set up (clown fish, peppermint shrimp, goby at least)...How much have you spent do you think? I was thinking once I get settled in I'm going to sell all my FW stuff (29g tank with not much to it) and grab either a 14g or 29g biocube with stand...How hard has it been to maintain levels with the 14g, is it too small or simple enough?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You kind of need a good wavemaker in the tank to lift detritus up, blow it around, and keep it in the water column. When that happens your pump will bring it into the back chambers.

For that kind of thing I can't recommend the Vortech MP10W ES enough. It's a perfect fit for the BC14.

It's also expensive-ish and it might have been the thing that sprang a leak on my old biocube.

I'd also put that behind upgrading the lights on "the list".

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

nwin posted:

This is pretty much the exact tank I want to set up (clown fish, peppermint shrimp, goby at least)...How much have you spent do you think? I was thinking once I get settled in I'm going to sell all my FW stuff (29g tank with not much to it) and grab either a 14g or 29g biocube with stand...How hard has it been to maintain levels with the 14g, is it too small or simple enough?

Well, maintaining the water quality in the 14gallon started out as a challenge but I've gotten used to it. I had one tough nitrate spike after a lot of the algae-stuff on my rock started dying off - this was about 3 months into having the tank. It nearly killed the small coral that came on my liverock although it didn't affect the fish. I cut down on feeding, switched to flake food (from frozen cubes that seemed to add a lot of junk to the tank), bought the skimmer, and did additional water changes until it got under control. Since then, things have been good (I say crossing my fingers)

Normally I do 30% water changes a week (I assume there are about 12 gallons in the tank with the rock and sand, so that's 3.5ish gallons). I don't usually mention this on other aquarium forums because people regard it as the deadliest sin, but I use normal tap water + Aqueon Water Conditioner for my water changes. I got tired of hauling 3 gallons of distilled water from Walmart every week, and didn't want to invest in an RO/DI unit yet... I asked a local fish store with amazing tanks what they were using, and they told me the local tap water is good enough - they use it in their own tanks.

I don't know how hard it is compared to a larger tank as this is my first saltwater setup, and really my first fish tank since I was a kid. If I started over again now, I would choose the 29 gallon Biocube just because I wish I had more space for other stuff and some of the cooler fish! I didn't imagine this hobby would become so addicting so quickly.

As far as how much it cost... I'd rather not think about that ;) I bought the tank and stand at a LFS and paid about double what Amazon/Petsmart were charging (I found this out later). Liverock and sand were ~$180, the fish and shrimp were ~$110, the coral ~$70, powerhead, skimmer, heater, autofeeder for when I'm away: ~$200, plus salt and misc other stuff to setup and maintain the tank ($100?). Add the overpriced tank and stand and the total is probably around $1000.

You mentioned you were interested in the goby... if you get a yellow watchman or other shrimp goby, I highly recommend getting the pistol shrimp too. The goby would hide all the time until I added the pistol shrimp to the tank. Now they are the most interesting part of the tank. The goby stands guard while the shrimp digs caves for them to sleep in. They are really fun to watch.

arioch posted:

You kind of need a good wavemaker in the tank to lift detritus up, blow it around, and keep it in the water column. When that happens your pump will bring it into the back chambers.

For that kind of thing I can't recommend the Vortech MP10W ES enough. It's a perfect fit for the BC14.

Awesome, thanks for that recommendation. I'm adding it to the wishlist :D

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Just saw this video posted on CSEA's subforum on reefcentral. I've never seen a clown do something like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deadhead1351/6019908584/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You read about that every now and then in the Clownfish and Anemone subforum on RC. Clowns are crazy.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

arioch posted:

Really? I mean, I know people do this, but I have two MP10s on my 50 and I don't run them at max. How is it not a complete sandstorm on a 14?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Trillian posted:

Really? I mean, I know people do this, but I have two MP10s on my 50 and I don't run them at max. How is it not a complete sandstorm on a 14?

Don't use actual sand, set it to ES NTM mode, tune the wave generation, and turn it down just far enough that it's not kicking up the substrate but picking up the detritus on it.

I use a MP40 turned down to about 60% on my tank.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Zool posted:

I've got my first tank started! I've got a clarkii living in the anenome, and I just picked up a few frags from a local reefer.

Sup CA goon. How long has the tank been set up?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sup CA goon. How long has the tank been set up?

Just a few weeks now.

I just put in LED lighting, which looks awesome. Really brings out the colors in the pineapple house.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
I love the Spongebob pineapple. My younger sister tries to sneak one into my 75gal just about every time she comes over.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
http://www.jellyfishart.com/default.asp

Have you guys seen this? What do you think?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That looks like the loving worst idea ever to let people put a 6" jellyfish into a "desktop" 7gal aquarium and dump frozen food in it.

The custom tanks they're showing off that they made for restaurants etc. are better. Even then the water quality in some of those look like absolute dogshit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 15, 2011

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I don't even recommend anything smaller than starting with a 20 gallon for FW keepers. I can't imagine the time and trouble involved with keeping an 8g SW tank stable. It's like the SW equivalent of a loving Goldfish bowl.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
But the site says it'll handle $400 worth of livestock no problem!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

But the site says it'll handle $400 worth of livestock no problem!

Yeah and each jelly is probably $800 meaning you can have half of one in each tank successfully.

Also, Zool:

Is it all cycled? Seems kinda soon to have an anemone in it, but that's just my guess.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yeah and each jelly is probably $800 meaning you can have half of one in each tank successfully.

Also, Zool:

Is it all cycled? Seems kinda soon to have an anemone in it, but that's just my guess.

I thought it would be good to go with all the live rock and sand, but the anenome was too much. I've have to do two 20% water changes a week to keep it under control.
Ammonia hasn't ticked up since the last change though, so I think it's settling down.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
My new sebae nem got shredded in my vortech last night :( Still trying to figure out why he let his foot go. Water params were good and he had good flow/light.

:( :( :(

edit: Not the savable kind of shredding

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Zool posted:

I thought it would be good to go with all the live rock and sand, but the anenome was too much. I've have to do two 20% water changes a week to keep it under control.
Ammonia hasn't ticked up since the last change though, so I think it's settling down.

Well that's good that you're keeping it in check.

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001

Dono posted:

My new sebae nem got shredded in my vortech last night :( Still trying to figure out why he let his foot go. Water params were good and he had good flow/light.

:( :( :(

edit: Not the savable kind of shredding

That sucks. :( Been there twice and it really, really sucks. Sebaes seem to get up and wander around the tank randomly as if they simply KNOW there's a better spot that they're missing out on. Did the remains foul your tank? Keep an eye on everything as the first one I had really screwed up my water params.

On a more humorous note, I had an interesting discovery today while doing laundry. I heard something rattling at the bottom of the washer and found a small cerith shell. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how the hell it had got there but, hey, whatever. I was going to toss it when I saw little blue legs sticking out.

I tossed the shell into a glass of tank water and sure enough, out pops a blue legged hermit crab, happy as can be. Poor little guy survived a full wash cycle and an extra rinse cycle and was out of the water for at least 20 minutes after all of that. I fed him some mysis while he was in the glass for being a tough bastard and popped him back into the tank.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
I was able to siphon out all the particles that scatter around the tank, and I actively run carbon most of the day, so the water has been stable.

ALL HAIL TO THE BRS CARBON REACTOR! :hypnotoad:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I don't run carbon, per se, but I will make up a sock of carbon and run it for a week if something goes wrong.

What I run in my big tank is biopellets in the BRS pellet cartridge for their reactors.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/itemdisplay.cfm?c=2733+7&ddid=129217

^^^ not a bad price

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 16, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

beautiful coral and I would agree. It's a good size too

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dono posted:

beautiful coral and I would agree. It's a good size too

The one I bought has grown by at least a third. It's a really nice centerpiece-ish coral for a nano.

I'm probably going to start trading in good sized frags of it soon.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

arioch posted:

The one I bought has grown by at least a third. It's a really nice centerpiece-ish coral for a nano.

I'm probably going to start trading in good sized frags of it soon.

Well leather corals in general grow pretty rapidly from what I've learned/read/heard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but definitely a good investment if you are looking to pay for your supplements and salt mixes ;)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dono posted:

Well leather corals in general grow pretty rapidly from what I've learned/read/heard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but definitely a good investment if you are looking to pay for your supplements and salt mixes ;)

Assuming people are interested, because leathers, but it helps that this piece is so striking, vs. the usual tan/brown pieces that generally show up.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Clam question:

Cook Island vs Tahitian?

There is such a huge price difference, but all I can noticeably see as a difference is the tahitian have a teal/turquoise color and the cook have a bright vivid blue color.

-Are there any significant differences in them?
-Size difference
-Shell patterns
-Hardiness
-Flow/light requirements

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Only real difference is what mantle patterns you like.

By the way Pacific East Aquaculture (which I assume you're looking at) has some awesome sales of 5" clams for $70-$100, but they pick for you, or you can go pricier and pick your own from their site. Take 30% off the top of the prices of the WYSIWYGS with coupon code they give you on the page ("DawgDays").

For example:

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Super-Ultra-Maxima-Clam-*-WYSIWYG-V-JL2601-Prodview.html

(holy poo poo)

(Also, be prepared for your calcium/alk uptake to SKYROCKET, when I had the two 5" clams in my tank I was doing like 120ml each of 2-part a day)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 20, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
All those clams are now 40% off with the coupon code, if anyone's paying attention.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

arioch posted:

All those clams are now 40% off with the coupon code, if anyone's paying attention.

Any idea how long they are running that coupon for? I am a little hesitant to jump on it as I have a pretty weak 4-bulb T5 fixture for my 90g. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

Any idea how long they are running that coupon for? I am a little hesitant to jump on it as I have a pretty weak 4-bulb T5 fixture for my 90g. :(

Looks like one more week.

• Locked thread