Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just started Bioshock. I'm in the medical pavilion area now. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm taking my time with this game to get the story and listen to the recordings and all that stuff, since I've heard it is really interesting plot wise. I don't want to blow through this one in four hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Take your time running around and looting. Enemies respawn in this game so if you're low on cash or ammo, figure out efficient ways to take them out for loot. As well, always always always get little sisters before you leave a level.

acidreflux
Oct 11, 2010

Chinook posted:

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Now I can finally do this:

Thanks! :)

Scratches is a goddamn brilliant game, I didn't know it's on Steam. It's one of my favorite horror games, right up there with Silent Hill 2, Dark Corners of the Earth and Amnesia. Added bonus because it manages to scare the piss out of you even though it's "just" a point&click adventure.

So sad that Nucleosys shut down :( I was so awestruck by that game that I lurked on their forums quite a bit - shortly before they were closed down, they talked about doing a Director's Commentary track (think Valve games), I would've killed for that.

Huge, huge recommendation to everyone who likes eery poo poo, anyway.

+edit - If anyone has a gift copy laying around for whatever reason, PM me and I'm sure we can work something out. The money won't go to the developers I suppose, but I'd feel scummy pirating it after it's on Steam and gently caress knows where I put that jewel case.

acidreflux fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 15, 2011

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Does scratches use an in-game renderer or is it all video and pre-rendered stuff? The graphics looked fairly decent. It bums be out when games like that use pre-rendered engines though since they look fairly pixelated on a high res screen.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Wrapped up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and thus Splinter Cell generally. The only "stealth" game I have left on my backlog is Assassin's Creed II - well, at least until Deus Ex 3 comes out.

So, I fired up Tomb Raider: Legend, and while I hear it falls apart later on, the first couple of stages were really good. Also, I think my body count in level 1 was higher than my entire run of Chaos Theory.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
I have around 40 or so games I haven't even played. I have 3 weeks till the end of summer so I might as well start to Play them.

So I used the random shuffler. And I get to play Oblivion.

Might as well seeing that I pre-order Skyrim.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Oh man, another game I can put away forever.

Puzzle Agent! Pretty good game- I know people said it was short but I didn't expect it to stop as suddenly as it did. I'm definitely ready to fire up the sequel, though!

Here's my thingy to add. I'm actually bouncing between like 10 more games, but maybe I'll actually stick to this list.

*Oh poo poo, I forgot one! Me and my brother one day randomly fired up Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light last week and blazed through the whole thing somewhere around 5am. It was really, really awesome since I had my PC hooked up to my 42" TV. He used a 360 controller while I kb+m'd it, which is great when you can do that.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 15, 2011

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

acidreflux posted:

Scratches is a goddamn brilliant game, I didn't know it's on Steam. It's one of my favorite horror games, right up there with Silent Hill 2, Dark Corners of the Earth and Amnesia. Added bonus because it manages to scare the piss out of you even though it's "just" a point&click adventure.

So sad that Nucleosys shut down :( I was so awestruck by that game that I lurked on their forums quite a bit - shortly before they were closed down, they talked about doing a Director's Commentary track (think Valve games), I would've killed for that.

Huge, huge recommendation to everyone who likes eery poo poo, anyway.
I finally finished this a few weeks ago. I absolutely loved the atmosphere and most of the plot up until the very end, but goddamn those puzzles. The very first safe puzzle that I first got seriously stuck on turned out to be not nearly the worst. Another big problem I had was the lack of direction the game gives you, I ended up wandering around the house at several points with only a vague idea of what I had to do to progress to the next hour of the game. Sometimes it ended up being as simple as dialing someone on the telephone, but other times there was some pixel-hunting I hadn't yet done thoroughly enough.

That being said, are there any other games like this anyone could recommend? I could totally see myself getting back into that old school adventure masochist mindset.

cat doter posted:

Does scratches use an in-game renderer or is it all video and pre-rendered stuff? The graphics looked fairly decent. It bums be out when games like that use pre-rendered engines though since they look fairly pixelated on a high res screen.
I'm pretty sure it's pre-rendered, most of the screens are really static, and you are locked to 1024x768 or whatever the default is, I tried modifying it in the .ini file but ended up with just a tiny window at the center of the screen surrounded by blank space. The game looked pretty good still though stretched out on my 20" widescreen.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 15, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright folks. I wanted to whittle down my backlog, but I have a feeling that having avoided a huge name/AAA title all this time has stopped my completion ambition to begin with. Drowning myself in short, almost expendable AAA titles makes me feel less bad about stealthily marking it off of my Now Playing.

I think I need to play a game that's more than 4-8 hours, or at least has a plot that's more than "Beat all the levels! :haw:"

So I beseech you, Steam Anonymous, choose a game for me that I should most definitely play through. I recently bought the quakecon pack so I have Oblivion and the Fallout Games. There are plenty of shooters that I haven't beaten completely, but I feel like I need something a bit less linear (I don't know why, but something's tempting me to play Riddick. Is it worth going through?).

I don't want a random number generator. I just want one or a few people to point me to a game and say "You dumb idiot why didn't you play this yet go do it now".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Morter posted:

So I beseech you, Steam Anonymous, choose a game for me that I should most definitely play through.

Fallout New Vegas. It's exactly what you need right now.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Morter posted:

I think I need to play a game that's more than 4-8 hours, or at least has a plot that's more than "Beat all the levels! :haw:"
Oh hey you have been on my BL list for ages; so let me recommend you some cool games:

Defense Grid: The Awakening - It really picks up about 1/3 in and it really is more of a puzzle game then pure tactical TD game; takes around 12hours or so to fully complete and the story isn't deep and all but the voiceacting and stuff makes it very fun.

Fallout 3 - Just play this; grab some UI/HUD mods and maybe something else that isn't too drastic and go to town.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - One of the best games ever made; just beat it dummy.

Max Payne (2: The Fall of Max Payne) Not too short, sweet, stylish, great presentation and stood the test of time very well. Story is very much decent.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - Game owns.

There you go.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Morter posted:

So I beseech you, Steam Anonymous, choose a game for me that I should most definitely play through. I recently bought the quakecon pack so I have Oblivion and the Fallout Games. There are plenty of shooters that I haven't beaten completely, but I feel like I need something a bit less linear (I don't know why, but something's tempting me to play Riddick. Is it worth going through?).
Devil May Cry 4 is a lot of fun with a controller chaining together combos in a way other hack & slash games that aren't God of War wish they could.

Hitman series is fun (though play it through in order {Codename 47 -> Silent Assassin -> Blood Money} as each build on each other making hte previous one a bit less fun)

X3 :v:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

You have a lot of fantastic games, some smaller, some bigger. What you should play, however, is any of the Hitman games (Blood Money is a good starting point). You get plot, you get freedom and you get to spend a lot of hours to get 100% Silent Assassin. Because guns blazing is for amateurs, professionals do it without anyone ever knowing.

Also you really should play Max Payne 2. It's the best FPS since original Doom and one of the only games ever to do storytelling in a computer game correctly. It also has very good music and has aged better than almost any game from that era.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Morter posted:

Alright folks. I wanted to whittle down my backlog, but I have a feeling that having avoided a huge name/AAA title all this time has stopped my completion ambition to begin with. Drowning myself in short, almost expendable AAA titles makes me feel less bad about stealthily marking it off of my Now Playing.

I don't want a random number generator. I just want one or a few people to point me to a game and say "You dumb idiot why didn't you play this yet go do it now".

For less linear shooty fun, I'd go with Crysis. Nice graphics, throw people hundreds of feet away, and blow poo poo up.

I justed posted about Lara Croft and the Guardian of light, but I was surprised even after hearing about it how fun it was. Completely awesome game.

Maybe YOU can tell ME if it's worth going through STALKER:Clear Sky (er, eventually).

Prince of Persia you REALLY don't need to wait until you beat the trilogy; it's on easy mode the whole way through, but the graphics are great and the whole running on walls and flipping around is really fun.

>_> don't think I'd recommend the first Just Cause to anyone, even if they paid for it.

Hitman: Blood Money is so awesome! You should really race to it! Or just play it now; it's really less about stealth and more about improvisation or crazy manipulation. And it is TECHNICALLY possible to start out in a level with an assault rifle. You can still appreciate how innovative the early Hitman games were post-Blood Money (whether you'd want to, though, is tougher to say).

AAaauhglskdjf !!! is great, you should return. You can power through, and even if not, the music's good.

*edit: Also, definitely get to Max Payne 2. Not a FPS *ahem* but shooty, bullet time fun with a good story.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Morter posted:

Aquaria is a lovely little Metroid-style game - the midgame is the best part, though - basically, the levels for which "Open Waters" is the hub.

The obvious "why have you not played this yet" game on your list is Deus Ex.

Both of those games had playthrough times of about 20 hours for me.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

ToxicFrog posted:

Here is the download, and here is the main github page. You will also need Lua for Windows to run it. (Migishu, I'd appreciate it if you could replace the link in the OP with these - the old script is entirely replaced by this.)

I'm also working on some related tools; specifically:
- something for easily organizing Steam categories
- something that lets you download your Backloggery games to a text file, edit it, and apply the changes rather than going through the web interface
Any chance of a version that accepts plaintext / CSV files as input? In my specific use-case, I have my console game data in another program that I can dump from and format as needed; on the other hand, I'm ignorant in regards to webdev / Lua.

e: Oh, I see it writes everything to an intermediary text file anyway, that works.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 16, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
:w00t: Ultimate Brutal Doom has been beaten!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

:w00t: Ultimate Brutal Doom has been beaten!

Now onto Brutal Doom 2, Brutal Doom TNT, Brutal Doom Plutonia, Brutal The Master Levels of Doom, Brutal Every WAD you can find here... :words:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Any chance of a version that accepts plaintext / CSV files as input? In my specific use-case, I have my console game data in another program that I can dump from and format as needed; on the other hand, I'm ignorant in regards to webdev / Lua.

e: Oh, I see it writes everything to an intermediary text file anyway, that works.

Yeah, you can just run it as normal, then paste your whitespace-separated game list into the file when it asks you to edit it. I probably should put in an "upload only" mode (or write a separate program for same), though, if only so that it doesn't need to fetch the game list from Steam every single time.

Also, bear in mind that game filtering (so that it doesn't add games that you already have in your backloggery) happens before file editing, so if you're pasting in data from another source, make sure you don't have any games listed there that duplicate ones already on backloggery. I'll see about fixing that today or tomorrow.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

First up is Wolfenstein 3DMein Leiben!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 17, 2011

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I found that game aged horribly, I don't think you'll like it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Knocked off Dead Money today for F:NV. Once I get through this game of New Vegas which will probably be a while, I'll definitely get more into the rest of my games. I want to get a lot done before the big game months of October and November (Skyrim, BF3, SR3, etc)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've updated myself on backloggery.. Anyway.. I gave up on GTA IV episodes eventually. I got like 12 hours into ballad of gay tony and then overwrote my save with and lost like 3 hours and it seemed like too much work. So I beat Saints row 2 again, then started New Vegas / Oblivion. I'm winding down on oblivion at the moment playing with a bunch of mods.

Backloggery picked STALKER for me to start now, but it seems a bit too close to fallout: nv, so I may get another fortune cookie.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Cubemario posted:

Ach, Die Mazen!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yodzilla posted:

What the hell is he holding there? It looks like a rabbit's head, what kind of hell uses rabbits as valid monsters? He's also holding that shotgun like a club not a firearm, was he clubbing those rabbits to death with that thing to save some ammo?

grimdarkkrieg
May 12, 2009
Okay, I'm ready. I installed all my Steam games and it's time to start chipping away. Here's my list! Not completely up-to-date, I've actually played SOME of those games already! (plus I have all the games from other digidistros, oh crap)

ToxicFrog posted:

I'll see about fixing that today or tomorrow.

By the way, found while trying to get my games up to BL that if user's steam profile is not set to public, the script doesn't find any games or wishlist items, so I added a small notification about it into steam2backloggery.lua when that happens. Here's the new script (Never written any LUA before though so my solution is probably something horrible!)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Substandard posted:

Backloggery picked STALKER for me to start now, but it seems a bit too close to fallout: nv, so I may get another fortune cookie.
It isn't. :)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Palpek posted:

What the hell is he holding there? It looks like a rabbit's head, what kind of hell uses rabbits as valid monsters? He's also holding that shotgun like a club not a firearm, was he clubbing those rabbits to death with that thing to save some ammo?

It's meant to be the Doom guy's pet rabbit's severed head or something, if I recall correctly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

chippy posted:

It's meant to be the Doom guy's pet rabbit's severed head or something, if I recall correctly.

Yep. If you beat Doom 1 you see that a portal to hell has opened on earth and someone impaled a rabbit's head on a stick.

"You demon bastards are gonna pay for slicing up my bunny." :downs:

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Cubemario posted:

Agreed. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Doom and Quake... and I would pay money not to have to play Wolf3D.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm kinda curious about the later levels though. Don't you eventually start fighting zombies and ghosts and poo poo in the forest?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

grimdarkkrieg posted:

By the way, found while trying to get my games up to BL that if user's steam profile is not set to public, the script doesn't find any games or wishlist items, so I added a small notification about it into steam2backloggery.lua when that happens. Here's the new script (Never written any LUA before though so my solution is probably something horrible!)

It kind of is (you're using deprecated functions from 5.0), but it's easily adapted into something non-horrible. :) Thanks for this.

Speaking of which:

:science: steam2backloggery update :science:

Homepage and README
Direct download

Changelog posted:

Features
  • EDITOR setting in the configuration file to change the default editor
  • IGNORE setting in the configuration file to maintain a persistent ignore list (for example, DLC and beta tests)
Fixes
  • "Now Playing" games will no longer be added multiple times
  • Games already on your Backloggery that get entered into the game list by hand will not be added again
  • Proper error reporting if it can't find any games on your Steam account (thanks, grimdarkkried)
  • More useful errors if something goes wrong downloading Steam game lists

Plans for the near future include per-game platform control and the ability to just upload games (eg, from a list your maintain) without downloading a game list from Steam first - either as a seperate tool or as an alternate mode for this one.

Longer-term plans include the ability to edit (not just add) games on your backloggery, and update Notes, Now Playing, and possibly other information.

I'm also working on a tool for easily organizing Steam categories; at present it's in "it works but it's ugly" state.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Man, you're awesome. Goons are awesome.

Puzzle Agent 2, however; not as awesome as the first game. At least puzzle wise. Story wise... it got as video gamey as video games get. Man.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah Puzzle Agent 2 really bummed me the gently caress out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

thegloaming posted:

First up is Wolfenstein 3DMein Leiben!

In a similar coincidence I just finished Spear of Destiny. It's strange I found the second to last boss harder than the last. Also the final hell level was really easy.

Next up maybe Metro 2033 or I might continue finish my second AP run.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm working my way through Quake now ... I never realized when I played the shareware but I really love the levels and design.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I fell off the wagon today. A hundred bucks showed up in my checking account and instead of holding onto it for things like bills or textbooks or other responsible adult stuff, I ended up getting Bastion and the Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World double pack. I was || this close to getting Section 8 too but then realized I would never play that. Also almost went for From Dust and Limbo too but decided to hang onto my money for those aforementioned important things. Hopefully I can get back on the road to recovery shortly :smith:

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I fell off the wagon today. A hundred bucks showed up in my checking account and instead of holding onto it for things like bills or textbooks or other responsible adult stuff, I ended up getting Bastion and the Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World double pack. I was || this close to getting Section 8 too but then realized I would never play that. Also almost went for From Dust and Limbo too but decided to hang onto my money for those aforementioned important things. Hopefully I can get back on the road to recovery shortly :smith:

I preordered From Dust. It is AMAZING.

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.
Whelp, I am now completely devoting my being into play El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. I have been waiting quite a while for this one, so I of course got it the day it came out. Only on about Chapter Five right now, since I no longer have a television set to myself. I'm digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just a warning: If you install Lua for Steam2Backloggery, you'll need to uninstall it if you want to play Tales of Monkey Island. No, I don't know why it conflicts, but it got it working for me, and multiple other people I've found through Google said Lua was stopping them from launching it too.