Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What will it loving take to get through to the general populous that being poor is terrible and NOTHING LIKE THIS?

I'd guess losing their job but most would probably just say they didn't get the super special ultra deluxe welfare package because the Politically correct liberals in social services wouldn't give it to them cause they're white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

The only moral welfare check is my welfare check.

Never forget the cries to "keep your government hands off my medicare."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ratbert90 posted:

Does that guy want every poor person to live in a hole with no amenities at all before he calls them poor? :psyduck:

No, Mr. Bond, he wants them to die.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

NatasDog posted:

It wasn't always that way, but I've been chipping away at his willful ignorance for the past few years. If there's one thing I've learned in the process, it's that persistence pays off. That, and you should never leave a blatant falsehood unchallenged.

My father in law was like that. He is a doctor and for MONTHS he was going on about death panels and how Obama isn't a U.S. citizen, and if he was he would've shown everyone the certificate already. Also, his sister is a private investigator, so if he was a U.S. citizen, she totally would have known about it in her research. :smug: Eventually, I just got tired of it all and said "You know what? Why don't you go to Snopes? They have repeatedly denounced those rumors." So he popped it up and was searching, and when he got done he sat by me and had the most awestruck look in his face: "If that site is correct, how come Fox News won't mention any of that? Why are they lying? The news isn't supposed to lie!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hastings posted:

My father in law was like that. He is a doctor and for MONTHS he was going on about death panels and how Obama isn't a U.S. citizen, and if he was he would've shown everyone the certificate already. Also, his sister is a private investigator, so if he was a U.S. citizen, she totally would have known about it in her research. :smug: Eventually, I just got tired of it all and said "You know what? Why don't you go to Snopes? They have repeatedly denounced those rumors." So he popped it up and was searching, and when he got done he sat by me and had the most awestruck look in his face: "If that site is correct, how come Fox News won't mention any of that? Why are they lying? The news isn't supposed to lie!"
Don't worry, soon he'll find some other site that will assure him that Snopes is a crackpot site full of fake "evidence" funded by George Soros to blind him from the real truth, and he'll be happy as a clam/full of rage at the system once again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hastings posted:

The news isn't supposed to lie!

It's surreal when they hit the point yet miss the mark so very far.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hastings posted:

Did you follow up by pointing him to that one court case where Fox won the right to lie as much as they like because they aren't technically news but entertainment?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Did you follow up by pointing him to that one court case where Fox won the right to lie as much as they like because they aren't technically news but entertainment?

I don't think that is entirely accurate. I think the "news/entertainment" distinction is only something they have brought up in their silly little slap-fights with other media entities, not in an actual court case. The only court case I'm familiar with focused more on the fact that FCC policies against falsification aren't technically "laws" or "regulations" so it doesn't violate whistleblower laws if they fire somebody for making a stink about it.

Tubba Blubba
Jul 14, 2011

Soft Money 1M posted:

Of course the hypothetical also implies that studying hard/working hard = guaranteed success. Never mind how silly this is in a real life example, but as anyone who has ever taken an economics class knows, it's not uncommon for half the class to study really hard and just not "get it" and end up flunking out.

Precisely.
Luck plays a factor in all human endeavors. Therefore, any "self-made man" is full of it. While I'm not denying the application of individual skill or effort, I'm saying that common adages are wrong.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
That, and in today's society, there is no such thing as a self made man, and anybody who claims to be a self made man is a jackass and a liar to boot.

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

Hastings posted:

when he got done he sat by me and had the most awestruck look in his face: "If that site is correct, how come Fox News won't mention any of that? Why are they lying? The news isn't supposed to lie!"

Oh god I think you broke him.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Bandanna posted:

Oh god I think you broke him.

He won't even turn on Fox anymore. We just hung out with the in-laws tonight and he says he can't watch it anymore since he knows Palin and ilk are as corrupt and marketed as Obama when it comes to news stories. Babbys first piece of reality!

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
I've got one from my dad today. It's a list of programs the teabaggers want to cut that, mysteriously, looks a lot like a list of programs that Republicans don't like. It also continues the mantra of "it's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem!"

quote:

These are all the programs that the new Republican House has proposed cutting. Read to the end.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.
Save America 's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.
International Fund for Ireland . $17 million annual savings.
Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.
National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.
National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.
Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.
Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.
Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.
U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.
Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.
Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.
John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.
Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.
Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.
Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings
Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.
Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.
Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.
Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.
Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.
Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.
New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.
Exchange Programs for Alaska , Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts . $9 million annual savings
Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.
Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.
Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.
Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.
Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.
Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.
FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.
Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.
Economic Assistance to Egypt . $250 million annually.
U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.
General Assistance to District of Columbia . $210 million annual savings.
Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.
Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.
No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.
End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.
Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.
IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.
Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.
Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.
Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress..
Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.
Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.$12.5 million annual savings
Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.
USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.
Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.
Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.
Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.
Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings..
HUD Ph.D. Program.
Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.
TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/20/house-gop-gets-specific-on-cuts_n_811557.html Republican Study Group Issues Proposed Budget Cuts

My question is:

What is all this doing in the budget in the first place?

Send to everyone you know.

Edit: Given the date of the linked article, I figure this has been discussed to death somewhere but I didn't notice before I posted this. Sorry about that...

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 15, 2011

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

quote:

What is all this doing in the budget in the first place?

More good than you can possibly imagine.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

I love that they want to cut funding for aquiring government office space.

As if somehow A. the population will never grow. B. Republican programmes don't require massive bureaucracies (No Child Left Behind springs to mind). and C. Even with all these programmes cut the federal bureaucracy will shrink so much that it will never need new space ever ever again (Hint: it's pressed for space now numnuts, shrinking it will give you a couple of years at best)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hi, I represent the Tea Party. I'm a whore for the Koch brothers and I want to cut funding for intercity and light rail transit, education, technology investment that isn't military, and environmental protection programs.

We have to stop taxing the job makers and start putting the blame on the poors. Where it belongs.

Oh and the arts because gently caress queers.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I also love the constant GOP talking point about cutting Federal dollars for WMATA (the Washington DC transit authority). Really, maybe they should go ahead and defund WMATA.

TODAY'S TOP STORIES
DC Area Government, Corporations in Complete Shutdown After Transit Defunding Creates Nation's Worst Traffic Jam

"I left for work a week ago and haven't gotten out of my driveway yet!"

Northern Virginia Tech Firms Lay off Tens of Thousands

"Nobody can get to work because I-95 and I-66 are completely shut down, we can't get deliveries in or out--time to move this poo poo overseas!"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ahem...

"The Free Market will find a solution and everything will be better"

That'll be $100.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hastings posted:

He won't even turn on Fox anymore. We just hung out with the in-laws tonight and he says he can't watch it anymore since he knows Palin and ilk are as corrupt and marketed as Obama when it comes to news stories. Babbys first piece of reality!

Holy poo poo, I guess there is hope.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How much richer are the rich now than when we had higher taxes (or just in the recent past in general)? Does the "slash everything, who cares" thing really make them significantly wealthier than the "get taxed higher, but have that money go to others so they can buy the things that make me wealthy more often" strategy? I really have no idea and if not why is that a thing now?

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I've got one from my dad today. It's a list of programs the teabaggers want to cut that, mysteriously, looks a lot like a list of programs that Republicans don't like. It also continues the mantra of "it's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem!"

quote:

Save America 's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

I think the enormous numbers thrown around with respect to the budget have dulled peoples' minds to what are still vast sums of money.

As an example... Save America's Treasures is primarily a granting program to provide support to museums and other collections repositories. Among other things, it provided (I say provided because it's already been cut) funding to update curation and preservation facilities to standards that will ensure that those collections, which cannot be replaced because they're not making prehistoric archaeological sites or whatever anymore.

$25 million is not even a drop in the bucket of the federal budget. But to museums whose collections are literally rotting in place because of curational facilities that have not been updated in 50 years due to a lack of funding, $25 million is a godsend.

Of course, I wouldn't expect the people who forward these things around to care about an argument like that.

Some of those in the list are also seemingly innocuous ("Sell excess federal properties") but I'd be shocked if those "excess" properties included federal lands in national forests and other conservation areas.

I suppose a point-by-point rebuttal is possible, but like most of these letters, why bother. I doubt the forwarders even bothered to read the entire list, and they'll just laugh off any rebuttal as "liberal lies" anyway.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Target Stores - What a surprise

Wasn't it last Christmas that Target refused to let the Salvation Army ring their bells in front of their stores?

Dick Forrey of the VietnamVeterans Association wrote.

'Recently we asked the local TARGET store to be a proud
sponsor of the VietnamVeterans Memorial Wall during our
spring recognition event.

We received the following reply
from the local TARGET management:

' Veterans do not meet our
area of giving. We only donate to the arts, social action
groups, gay & lesbian causes, and education.'

So I'm thinking, if the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and
veterans in general, do not meet their donation criteria,
then something is really wrong at this TARGET store.
We were
not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds, just
a small sponsorship for a memorial remembrance.

As a follow-up, I, E-mailed the TARGET U.S. Corporate
Headquarters and their response was the same...

That's their
national policy!!!

Then I looked into the company further..
They will not allow
the Marines to collect for 'Toys for Tots'at any of their
stores. And during the recent Iraqdeployment,they would
not allow families of employees who were called up for
active duty to continue their insurance coverage while
they were on military service..
Then as I dig further,
TARGET
is a French-owned corporation.

Now, I'm thinking again..
If TARGET cannot support American (or Canadian) Veterans, then why should my family and I support their
stores by spending our hard earned American (or Canadian) dollars in their stores???
And,
have their profits sent to France .

Without the American (and Canadian)
Vets, where would France be today?

'They, most likely would be speaking German and trading in Deutsch Marks'

Sincerely,
Dick Forrey
Veterans Helping Veterans

Please send this on to everyone you know
to let Target know
we don't need them either !

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

That's pretty laughable, especially the part about only giving to LGBT groups considering Target actively donates money to rabidly anti-gay politicians.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Snopes reports that Dick Forrey was also mistaken and has since apologized, in writing, for that mistake.

Apparently he wanted $100 directly from his local Target for a veterans' charity, but was told that Target only donates at the corporate level. I assume he made the rest of that up, although it appears someone added the "gay and lesbian causes" statement later.

You know, just to make Target seem a little more lefty/commie.

At this point, I think the default reply to these should just be a Snopes link. They've pretty much got all of these covered.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Too bad he didn't throw Unions into that too.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Countblanc posted:

How much richer are the rich now than when we had higher taxes (or just in the recent past in general)? Does the "slash everything, who cares" thing really make them significantly wealthier than the "get taxed higher, but have that money go to others so they can buy the things that make me wealthy more often" strategy? I really have no idea and if not why is that a thing now?

Well there are (at least) two things at work here, different goals with similar means.

1) Tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations for the sake of greed. These are what you are referring to, and I think in the long run it will hurt them. But it will take a long time to reach that point. And most people think short term, so lower taxes means more money for me now = good; the fact that it will impact my business later doesn't really sink in when everything is better now.

2) Then there is the small government crowd. These are even worse because there's no real discussion here, its pure ideology. It doesn't matter that there are good things big government does. They shouldn't be doing them simply because the federal government should be small. Period. To them cutting taxes is part of a larger strategy that, so far as I know started under Reagan, called "Starve the Beast". You cut taxes (because everyone likes to take home a bigger paycheck). This causes a deficit problem, but people generally don't like raising taxes, so you cut spending instead. Government programs become ineffective due to a lack of funds, making it easier to sell the "government is inefficient" line. Cut taxes again, cut spending again, and repeat until all the programs you hate are gone and the Federal Government is small. This has an added benefit for certain parts of the upper class: reduced regulations from the EPA, SEC, etc.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I respond to a facebook status like this

quote:

A girl with amazinggg Guess jeans and a Juicy Couture purse just got her free groceries with food stamps and loaded them into her bimmer. How do I get in on this?

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

the posted:

"Have a good job. Buy nice stuff. Lose job. Get food stamps."

Social safety nets exist for everyone for a reason.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Aren't food stamps just a debit card now in most states anyway? How could you possibly know someone paid with food stamps unless you're up in their face.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I was upset so this is how I responded

quote:

I AGREE WITH EVERYONE. POOR PEOPLE SHOULDN'T GET TO BUY ANYTHING BUT BASIC FOOD LIKE RICE AND GRUEL AND LIVE IN SHACKS WITH NO TELEVISION OR XBOX. IF THEY'RE POOR THEN THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY FUN OR GET TO HAVE ANY CLOTHES EXCEPT STANDARD ISSUE GREY TROUSERS.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dunno about you but when I think expensive and trendy fashion I think Guess jeans.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

I also love the constant GOP talking point about cutting Federal dollars for WMATA (the Washington DC transit authority). Really, maybe they should go ahead and defund WMATA.

TODAY'S TOP STORIES
DC Area Government, Corporations in Complete Shutdown After Transit Defunding Creates Nation's Worst Traffic Jam

"I left for work a week ago and haven't gotten out of my driveway yet!"

Northern Virginia Tech Firms Lay off Tens of Thousands

"Nobody can get to work because I-95 and I-66 are completely shut down, we can't get deliveries in or out--time to move this poo poo overseas!"

Had a similar discussion with a friend about infrastructure funding and how incredibly important it is.

One of the best examples of how poor infrastructure hurts business is that stretch of highway in China that became a multi day long traffic jam where people were literally sleeping in their cars and eating meals on the roadside waiting for traffic to move.

And was crippling the coal mine that used that highway to transport it's freight.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

the posted:

Socialism: Imagine a girl in Guess Jeans, loading food stamp purchased groceries into a BMW... forever

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Branis posted:

Aren't food stamps just a debit card now in most states anyway? How could you possibly know someone paid with food stamps unless you're up in their face.
It usually is marked as food stamps or something like that. Here in Michigan it says "BRIDGE CARD" in big white letters right on the front.

quote:

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.
More like liebrals making up facts so that they can take away my lightbulbs :bahgawd:

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

the posted:

I'd ask them whether it is possible they had those items before they lost their job/got divorced/etc. Just because you have those items doesn't mean you are flowing with cash. I have a bit of high end clothing from a consignment store, including Guess jeans for $12. I am definitely not rich. And I know of one woman who has an expensive car and food stamps because her boyfriend makes money hustlin'. I'm serious, that isn't a stereotype. His son was my favorite student and worshipped the ground I walk on, and he told me what he did for cash. As awful as it is to say, the gifts were awesome. So just tell that person to start slingin' and they too can get in on the action!

YoungBuns
Feb 13, 2009
Not really the place for it, but this turned up in our yard somehow and I had to share it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've been really lucky with crazy political Facebook statuses. All I can remember is someone excited about Palin's nomination for VP when she was a bold move to win over disaffected Hillary supporters, and a chain letter/editorial about how to fix our healthcare, we should start with all the blinged-out poor people who just drink pop and eat at McDonald's at every meal.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress YOU OBAMA up your rear end in a top hat

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

YoungBuns posted:

Not really the place for it, but this turned up in our yard somehow and I had to share it.

That is absolutely amazing. I love the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

YoungBuns posted:

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY SOUNDWAVE TECHNOLOGY. The interestingly low rewards for abducting heads of state. The random "Coal." in the middle of the rant at the bottom.

I can't decide what the best part is.