Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I thought they allowed him to go provided he stay under a mask. Then one week he just stopped wearing it and nobody cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Oatgan posted:

I thought they allowed him to go provided he stay under a mask. Then one week he just stopped wearing it and nobody cared.

Yeah, it was pretty much a situation of TNA saying gently caress it, gently caress you Ring of Honor and just using him

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lamuella posted:

Under contract and holding an ROH title, if I remember correctly.

Sort of. They let him also work TNA, they did not release him. It was also a deal between ROH and TNA, where TNA had to agree that they would not have Daniels perform without as mask as Christopher Daniels. TNA then decided to break the agreement because they (correctly) figured that ROH wouldn't have the money to sue over it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
That seems way too logical for TNA because loltna.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Scummy and lovely if nothing else, so yeah totally loltna

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Taking advantage of workers/organizations just because they can and there's nothing they can do about it goes beyond loltna and into lolthisearth territory, but yeah it's not exactly out of character for TNA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was sad when ROH was sold and they didn't sue TNA. I know Sinclair Broadcast is cheap and wouldn't bother spending money on something that isn't going to yield much of a return but I love seeing TNA get their comeuppance.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Knowing TNA, I have a hard time believing it was malicious and instead was just their normal incompetence.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

I was sad when ROH was sold and they didn't sue TNA. I know Sinclair Broadcast is cheap and wouldn't bother spending money on something that isn't going to yield much of a return but I love seeing TNA get their comeuppance.

TNA gets its comeuppance every time they get the PPV numbers in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Neodoomium posted:

Knowing TNA, I have a hard time believing it was malicious and instead was just their normal incompetence.

One of my all time favourite quotes from the Observer is about Delirious and his try out with TNA. "... and Delirious was under the impression no-one in TNA realised he was currently booking Ring of Honor." :psyduck:

edit: Bad spelling day.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just started watching wrestling again after getting a new housemate who is massively into it (I grew up watching it from the early 90's up until just after the end of the WWF attitude era) and I'm reading a ton of wiki stuff and character biographies to catch up on the stories I've missed and the TNA and ROH stuff I never even knew existed.

Alongside this I see a lot of wrestlers/assorted industry guys have put out their own biographies and I'm wondering which ones are worth looking at? A quick browse through amazon and some googling reveals a lot of books that look more like company authorised (and therefore sanitised of anything interesting) biographies than the warts-and-all stuff most people prefer to read in a biography.

I'd be especially interested in anyone who was big in the time I first watched it but really anything with crazy wrestler hi-jinks would be acceptable.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Rapetimus Prime posted:

I just started watching wrestling again after getting a new housemate who is massively into it (I grew up watching it from the early 90's up until just after the end of the WWF attitude era) and I'm reading a ton of wiki stuff and character biographies to catch up on the stories I've missed and the TNA and ROH stuff I never even knew existed.

Alongside this I see a lot of people have put out their own biographies and I'm wondering which ones are worth looking at? A quick browse through amazon and some googling reveals a lot of books that look more like company authorised (and therefore sanitised of anything interesting) biographies than the warts-and-all stuff most people prefer to read in a biography.

I'd be especially interested in anyone who was big in the time I first watched it but really anything with crazy wrestler hi-jinks would be acceptable.

jericho's first book is good, his second is trash. bret hart has a real good book.

jericho's is about breaking in and wcw. nothing about wwe.

bret's is about how his brothers used to piss in his face

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rapetimus Prime posted:

Alongside this I see a lot of wrestlers/assorted industry guys have put out their own biographies and I'm wondering which ones are worth looking at? A quick browse through amazon and some googling reveals a lot of books that look more like company authorised (and therefore sanitised of anything interesting) biographies than the warts-and-all stuff most people prefer to read in a biography.

Mick Foleys first 2 are definately worth reading. I've heard good things about Jerichos first book (and mixed reviews of his second). I enjoyed Bret Harts, as long as you bear in mind that he has a definate bias (to be honest all wrestler autobiographies will be "sanitised" to a certain extent, as 90% of wrestlers are kind of self-serving assholes and marks for themselves).

Edit: Kind of beaten, so have a link to the 30-second book review thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2758664

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Edit: Kind of beaten, so have a link to the 30-second book review thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2758664

How I missed that I'll never know, thanks for the link and the tips

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The Shaman of Cum posted:

jericho's first book is good, his second is trash. bret hart has a real good book.

Jericho's 2nd book would've been amazing if it wasn't for the Fozzy parts. Goddamn! I still haven't read all of them. I can only take so many "My band was awesome and no one realized it! Time to go play in front of 10 people again hahahah!" chapters before I fall asleep.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ColeM posted:

Jericho's 2nd book would've been amazing if it wasn't for the Fozzy parts. Goddamn! I still haven't read all of them. I can only take so many "My band was awesome and no one realized it! Time to go play in front of 10 people again hahahah!" chapters before I fall asleep.

that's a very Froot opinion . haha. my fave part was when he got ricockulously drunk

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

that's a very Froot opinion . haha. my fave part was when he got ricockulously drunk
i liked when he talked about his best match ever, all of them

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

That seems way too logical for TNA because loltna.

You'll be pleased to hear that after having Daniels wrestle without a mask, they aired a backstage segment where Christohper Daniels is wandering around backstage, and comes across all 3 of his masked personas, who are sitting at a table signing autographs. He then has a conversation with them, even though all 3 characters have been mute up until that point :psyduck:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rapetimus Prime posted:

Alongside this I see a lot of wrestlers/assorted industry guys have put out their own biographies and I'm wondering which ones are worth looking at?

I recommend this every time someone asks, but please read William Regal's bio. It is one of the best ones, I loved it.

Edit: Yeah Jericho's second book actually made me like him less.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Or when someone wrestled him, they always had their best matches with him.

Edit: Beaten

ColeM fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 15, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Edit: Yeah Jericho's second book actually made me like him less.

I acted like an rear end in a top hat for no reason, and now people are mad at me hahaha

loving fan asked me to do a shot before I got in my car. Despite drinking all night long, it was that shot that made me blow over the limit for a DUI. Oh well, my wife yelled at me so it's no big deal.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I'm also going to upsell my 1st book in every chapter because even I know my 2nd book is trash.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

ColeM posted:

I'm also going to upsell my 1st book in every chapter because even I know my 2nd book is trash.

Even my first book beat Mick Foley (who has never beaten me) ((or my wife)) (((or my kids))) ((((and he never will))))

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Benoit was a great friend to me, the things he did... very unfroot.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
It seems like everyone wants their favourite entertainers to act humble and be modest to a fault. Personally I dig when talented people are a little arrogant with their confidence in their abilities, which is why I was totally into Bret Hart's book. Bret's stories were great, but there was always a hint of "don't forget I was the best in-ring storyteller ever".

Having said that, Jericho's arrogance in his 2nd book was too much even for me. I loving hated that book, it was so disappointing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought the first book was written obnoxiously but was worthwhile for the actual stories. It sounds like he out-Foley'd Foley on his second though.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Even my first book beat Mick Foley (who has never beaten me) ((or my wife)) (((or my kids))) ((((and he never will))))

(Author's Note: I used a big word here! Look how funny and cool I am! Hahahaha!)

I hope you love the Spinal Tap references from my 1st book, because goddamn, my new book is full of them!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Like everyone else, Jericho's first book and Mick Foley's first and second are good. Foley's third he just ran out of stories that weren't "I had this idea and Vince didn't like it, how could he not like it, i'm so smart."

Also Ric Flair's book was pretty ok but i'm pretty sure that kinda gets into fiction territory too.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Pretty sure this book would be 147% better if read in Jericho's 'Sam the Eagle' demeanor/character.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

elf help book posted:

Benoit was a great friend to me, the things he did... very unfroot.
The weirdest part was remembering how Jericho went around saying Benoit was a great guy and he can't believe what happened and he'd trust Benoit with his own children, yet in the book he says something like "when I got a text that everyone was dead, I knew Benoit killed them then himself. Then The Rock told me his best match was with me."

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Was Regal's book any good? I seem to recall hearing it was, and would be interested in hearing more about his life.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Was Regal's book any good? I seem to recall hearing it was, and would be interested in hearing more about his life.

I enjoyed it, but it could have been a lot better. His stories seemed neutered by wanting to "protect the business" or whatever. He doesn't sugar-coat how much of a fuckup he is, though, and he's an interesting guy so it's worth the read.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

I just said it was great. Read it now :colbert:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Tyma posted:

You'll be pleased to hear that after having Daniels wrestle without a mask, they aired a backstage segment where Christohper Daniels is wandering around backstage, and comes across all 3 of his masked personas, who are sitting at a table signing autographs. He then has a conversation with them, even though all 3 characters have been mute up until that point :psyduck:

I hope this is on YouTube somewhere. :haw:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bocc Kob posted:

I hope this is on YouTube somewhere. :haw:

I would like to point out Curry Man (stereotypical offensive Japanese) and Suicide (SPOOKY~ voice) both talked during their stellar tenures with the company. Sangriento (who was played by Amazing Red), may not have.

I cannot find the video of this, though.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

It's my favourite wrestling autobiography, but I'm a huge Regal mark as you can see <<<.

If you're reading this, RatedArgh, I want that book back. You fucker.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All the wrestling parts of Undisputed (Jericho's second book) are pretty good. The endless chapters about his tours with Fozzy, though, are intolerable. It was bearable in A Lion's Tale, but in Undisputed, he writes as though having Rich Ward in his band makes him a ROCK loving GOD. He's really honest about how much he hated the stuff with Chyna, Stephanie and HHH, and I found it pretty interesting. If A Lion's Tale is Have a Nice Day!, Undisputed is a little lower than Foley is Good, but far loving better than The Hardcore Diaries and almost all of WWE's ghostwritten autobiographies.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rapetimus Prime posted:

The first Foley book is pretty good, and the first Jericho book straight up rules because a lot of it once you get to his WCW years is "Man that place blew". Some people told me to read Flair's book, and I want to pick it up for Kindle when I have a few bucks.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I thought the first book was written obnoxiously but was worthwhile for the actual stories. It sounds like he out-Foley'd Foley on his second though.

That pretty much sums up the first book. It's written like that one rear end in a top hat friend you know, that you can't stand to listen to them talk, but they're telling some really great stories so gently caress it.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 15, 2011

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Timby posted:

He's really honest about ... HHH,
Hmmm...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Kane's in-kayfabe biography is the best book. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

projecthalaxy posted:

Kane's in-kayfabe biography is the best book. Ever.

Is that the one that Paul Bearer tossed across the room in disgust after reading the first page?