Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Holy poo poo I just found the Vault-Tec Power Armor that Project Nevada adds in. It's so wonderful. Now I just need a suitably large weapon.

Where was it? I've hardly found any of the PNV stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Arrath posted:

Where was it? I've hardly found any of the PNV stuff :(

Vault 11. Survive the sacrificial chamber and look around.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there any setting I can tweak in FNVEdit that actually makes my bullets go where I shoot them 100% of the time? No spread, no aim fuckery, I shoot a bullet, that's where it goes?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything that will help me sort poo poo out on shelves and such? Flinging things around with the Z key is wildly inaccurate and the clipping box on items means they knock each other off shelves... The nexus, it helps me not.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Brace posted:

Is there any setting I can tweak in FNVEdit that actually makes my bullets go where I shoot them 100% of the time? No spread, no aim fuckery, I shoot a bullet, that's where it goes?

Try changing all the nonzero fGunSpread* values (except the fGunSpreadNPC* values) to 0.0001. I'm not sure how that'll affect shotguns, though.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there anything that will help me sort poo poo out on shelves and such? Flinging things around with the Z key is wildly inaccurate and the clipping box on items means they knock each other off shelves... The nexus, it helps me not.

You need Feng Shui.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 15, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Anyone tried this mod? Deimos - Quest Mod

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

Brace posted:

Anyone tried this mod? Deimos - Quest Mod

It looks promising, I'll try it out to see if it's any good.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah. What really jumps out to me is that it's only 10 new cells and 1.5 to 3 hours. They actually have self control! I'm going to check it out as well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Male Man posted:

Try changing all the nonzero fGunSpread* values (except the fGunSpreadNPC* values) to 0.0001. I'm not sure how that'll affect shotguns, though.

You might also want to change the game setting "FAutoAimScreenPercentage" to -180. This makes it so auto-aim only kicks in directly behind you in first-person view (which is of course impossible).

Though honestly, setting spread to zero on everything seems like it would make the game pretty easy (and render the Guns skill not very useful). XFO has a nice mod to guns that makes gun skill have a much more profound effect on your spread, so at 100 guns you're almost pinpoint accurate, but at low levels your aim is much worse.

*edit*
A lot if you're low, not at all if you're above. It's basically a "Can you even LIFT this weapon?" check. If you have low Strength there's a perk that lets you take 2 points off the STR requirement of every weapon, so that makes it a bit easier to use stuff like the anti-materiel rifle if you were previously playing a stealthy/thiefy kind of character.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 15, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I think uh.. well..
How much does strength requirement effect the accuracy of one's weapon :saddowns:

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah F3NV Project Reality looks like it'll be the definitive weather mod in the near future whenever version 3 comes out. At the moment though (after extensive usage) it has some glitches that are pretty annoying where it'll revert back to vanilla lighting and weather in some areas. This is without fast travel and from memory a specific cell around Lady Gibson's Shack has this problem. Hopefully version 3 will address these issues, as well as the issue of clouds not matching weather in all instances (raining with clear skies).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cubemario posted:

Yeah F3NV Project Reality looks like it'll be the definitive weather mod in the near future whenever version 3 comes out. At the moment though (after extensive usage) it has some glitches that are pretty annoying where it'll revert back to vanilla lighting and weather in some areas. This is without fast travel and from memory a specific cell around Lady Gibson's Shack has this problem. Hopefully version 3 will address these issues, as well as the issue of clouds not matching weather in all instances (raining with clear skies).

I actually mentioned this in the comment thread and he mentioned that he's fixed that bug in the next version. Nevada Skies did this for me too - apparently the vanilla weather is really, really pushy in New Vegas for some reason, so it constantly kicks in with fast travel, or in certain spots, even if you've got a custom climate pattern in place.

Question for the Armory guys: Have you done any meshes/textures for modified base weapons? I've had this idea for a more "unified" system for weapon mods in the base game, inspired by the small set of very adaptable weapon mods you use in the Armory, but I think the base game doesn't have much in the way of graphics for modded weapons. I'm using WME right now, but what bugs me about it is basically every gun has its own set of 3 mods, even when most of the mod effects are identical across different weapons (examples: nearly every weapon has its own form of extended magazine, every caliber has its own silencer). While this might make sense with modular attachments, the fact that every attachment is permanent suggests that attachments in NV are more like weapon modification kits, where you take some basic parts and fit them permanently to your weapon of choice. From a gameplay perspective, it's also a pain to have to track down the EXACT set of mods you need for every single gun, especially considering they aren't dropped by anything (the crafting mod helps alleviate this, but it also ends up adding a TON of stuff to the crafting list).

Long story short, my plan was to try to reduce the number of weapon mods to the basic set used by the armory, while still allowing the full 3 modifications on most guns, but I have absolutely no modelling ability (or software, for that matter), so I can't really do much beyond tweaking the few vanilla attachments on my own.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Could someone toss up some pictures of Project Reality? All the pictures on the mod page look like the game with a gray overlay on.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone else getting terrible framerates in the Primm Caves mod? Like, I have perfectly smooth frame rates outside, but one I go in, we're talking seconds per frame at some points.

EDIT:
I have imaginator and other mods on, but I'm using F3NV:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Anyone else getting terrible framerates in the Primm Caves mod? Like, I have perfectly smooth frame rates outside, but one I go in, we're talking seconds per frame at some points.

EDIT:
I have imaginator and other mods on, but I'm using F3NV:

Would rather see some just stock Project Reality because Imaginator and other visual mods really gently caress with the image.

Also is there a way to turn off the Heat Haze? I used project reality shortly and I had to turn it off because that really hosed with my head when I was playing.

Brace fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 15, 2011

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
i installed the new vegas script extender and now my game always crashes on startup (after the very first splash screen you get), also some of the game .esm files (fallout.esm, honesthearts.esm etc.) dont show up in the mod manager anymore. anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this?

heres my load order:

Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes.esm
IWR.esm
Lings.esm
WME - Old World Blues.esm
WME - Dead Money.esm
WME - Honest Hearts.esm
The.Armory.esm
CASM.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
headgearfix.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC01.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC02.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC03.esp
Delay DLC - Dead Money.esp
Delay DLC - Honest Hearts.esp
Delay DLC - Old World Blues.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
WME - Dead Money.esp
WME - Honest Hearts.esp
WME - Old World Blues.esp
WME - Dead Money Arenovalis Retex.esp
WME - Honest Hearts Arenovalis.esp
EVE FNV.esp
FNVEnhancedShaders - AA-DOF Enable.esp
Nevada Skies - URWLHH.esp

Total active plugins: 26
Total plugins: 26

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just finished Silver Peak Bunker. It's one of the better housing mods I've tried. The questline is straightforward enough, although one quest, involving access to a sealed off storage area is just vague enough to be annoying.

The NPC pathing seems screwy, and the power armor included in the mod is pretty strong, but not to the degree you'd normally see. The voice acting, for what little there is, is passable. The only real problem I had with it was the NPC who sells you the dummies getting gibbed instantly during one of the quests, thus forcing me to resurrect her through the console.

Also, if you're running Project Nevada, make sure you grab the PN compatibility patch which is, strangely, NOT listed on the files page, but is instead linked under Mirrors. (Obviously all it does is add in visor support for the included power armor, including both the Enclave poo poo from FO3 and the Midwestern Brotherhood armor from Tactics.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Biggest human being Ever posted:

i installed the new vegas script extender and now my game always crashes on startup (after the very first splash screen you get), also some of the game .esm files (fallout.esm, honesthearts.esm etc.) dont show up in the mod manager anymore. anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this?

heres my load order:

Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes.esm
IWR.esm
Lings.esm
WME - Old World Blues.esm
WME - Dead Money.esm
WME - Honest Hearts.esm
The.Armory.esm
CASM.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
headgearfix.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC01.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC02.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC03.esp
Delay DLC - Dead Money.esp
Delay DLC - Honest Hearts.esp
Delay DLC - Old World Blues.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
WME - Dead Money.esp
WME - Honest Hearts.esp
WME - Old World Blues.esp
WME - Dead Money Arenovalis Retex.esp
WME - Honest Hearts Arenovalis.esp
EVE FNV.esp
FNVEnhancedShaders - AA-DOF Enable.esp
Nevada Skies - URWLHH.esp

Total active plugins: 26
Total plugins: 26

Where are your FalloutNV, Old World Blues, Honest Hearts, and Dead Money.esms? :stare:

That's absolutely your problem. They should be in the same folder with the rest of those mods--or rather, the rest of your mods should be in the same folder as the original game's master files. That's your Steam \ SteamApps \ Common \ FalloutNV \ Data folder. If they aren't there, something has gone horribly wrong and you need to run Steam's Verify Cache Integrity so it can find problems and re-download whatever it thinks it is missing.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 15, 2011

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Installed that mannequin mod all up in the sink. Was pretty boss at first, until I realized the fuckers were trying to follow me around Dr. Who angel style.

Scared the poo poo out of me to turn around in goodsprings and find my well armed, well dressed mannequin millitia striking poses behind me like this was just another day hanging out at banana republic or some poo poo.

I swear to god one of them shot a hostile NPC... but god only knows which one. You look at them and the fuckers are all still again.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Where are your FalloutNV, Old World Blues, Honest Hearts, and Dead Money.esms? :stare:

That's absolutely your problem. They should be in the same folder with the rest of those mods--or rather, the rest of your mods should be in the same folder as the original game's master files. That's your Steam \ SteamApps \ Common \ FalloutNV \ Data folder. If they aren't there, something has gone horribly wrong and you need to run Steam's Verify Cache Integrity so it can find problems and re-download whatever it thinks it is missing.

thanks, verifying the cache fixed it, i was just afraid of doing that out of fear it would overwrite the mnc textures (thankfully, it didnt). casm works as well now, so no more losing more than 5 minutes of progress :)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Brace posted:

Also is there a way to turn off the Heat Haze? I used project reality shortly and I had to turn it off because that really hosed with my head when I was playing.

Just edit F3NVHeaHazeScript to read:
code:
scn F3NVHeaHazeScript

begin gamemode

end

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just went from Western Skies to Project Reality. It's pretty good, but it seems a little under-saturated. Admittedly, the problem with WS is it is way way way over saturated, so the change is pretty jarring. There is definitely something wrong with night time inside New Vegas. It really looks like it's all grey scale. I waited a few hours for it to become daytime it was ok then. I seem to be getting a lot of cell transition crashes now too, not sure if that is because of Project Reality or not.

Kharmakazy posted:

Installed that mannequin mod all up in the sink. Was pretty boss at first, until I realized the fuckers were trying to follow me around Dr. Who angel style.

Scared the poo poo out of me to turn around in goodsprings and find my well armed, well dressed mannequin millitia striking poses behind me like this was just another day hanging out at banana republic or some poo poo.

I swear to god one of them shot a hostile NPC... but god only knows which one. You look at them and the fuckers are all still again.

Best mod ever.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just went from Western Skies to Project Reality. It's pretty good, but it seems a little under-saturated. Admittedly, the problem with WS is it is way way way over saturated, so the change is pretty jarring. There is definitely something wrong with night time inside New Vegas. It really looks like it's all grey scale. I waited a few hours for it to become daytime it was ok then. I seem to be getting a lot of cell transition crashes now too, not sure if that is because of Project Reality or not.

The next update is supposed to ease up on the desaturation a bit. As for CTDs, I can't remember when my game was as stable and crash free as it's been since I switched to Project Reality. Probably sometime before I installed my first weather mod, which was ages ago.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Question for the Armory guys: Have you done any meshes/textures for modified base weapons? I've had this idea for a more "unified" system for weapon mods in the base game, inspired by the small set of very adaptable weapon mods you use in the Armory, but I think the base game doesn't have much in the way of graphics for modded weapons. I'm using WME right now, but what bugs me about it is basically every gun has its own set of 3 mods, even when most of the mod effects are identical across different weapons (examples: nearly every weapon has its own form of extended magazine, every caliber has its own silencer). While this might make sense with modular attachments, the fact that every attachment is permanent suggests that attachments in NV are more like weapon modification kits, where you take some basic parts and fit them permanently to your weapon of choice. From a gameplay perspective, it's also a pain to have to track down the EXACT set of mods you need for every single gun, especially considering they aren't dropped by anything (the crafting mod helps alleviate this, but it also ends up adding a TON of stuff to the crafting list).

Long story short, my plan was to try to reduce the number of weapon mods to the basic set used by the armory, while still allowing the full 3 modifications on most guns, but I have absolutely no modelling ability (or software, for that matter), so I can't really do much beyond tweaking the few vanilla attachments on my own.

I just tried to standardize things for all weapons. Unfortunately over the long period of time that I've been working on things and due to the difference in age for a lot of weapons along with the varying art quality it's been hard to keep the graphics consistent. So adding a silencer attachment will add... whatever silencer I decided to put on it. I think what you're trying to say is that you want to implement the same sort of universalization/standardization that TA uses on stock weapons? That's certainly doable though you'll have to make some new modkits by duplicating existing ones or get creative with the interpretation like I do sometimes for modkits that don't fit at all with the existing ones.

You also don't need any art skills to change out bits on weapons with FNV. Nifskope alone is good for that so long as you can handle its quirks. It can be pretty much like virtual lego once you get good at it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I just got Fallout New Vegas from the Steam sale, is the OP still up to date with the best mods to use? Or is a other good general pack to improve the weather, graphics, add some perks, etc.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Alright, jumping into this game upon high recommendation. I want to experience the game's story and graphics as vanilla as I can, but at the same time, I'd like to enhance the gunplay a bit. I know these games aren't meant for :pcgaming:FPS action but if FO3 was any indication, I'd just want something that makes either shooting or looting/scrounging for weapon loots anymore enjoyable. Ideally I might want something like the Armory, but it seems that having that many weapons might break the game or might make the difficulty too high. This will be my first playthrough so I don't want to hit any mod-induced snags.

So what is the go-to "This mod will make shooting more funner" mod?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

BexGu posted:

I just got Fallout New Vegas from the Steam sale, is the OP still up to date with the best mods to use? Or is a other good general pack to improve the weather, graphics, add some perks, etc.

NMC's Texture Mod has been released and upgrades alot more stuff than Poco Bueno.

Survivalist Bunker seems to have taken over Underground Hideout as the preferred player home. It's definitely more straightforward, less buggy, and easier to use; but UH still has a few things like dressup mannequins, growable veggies, and mail order ammo that it doesn't.

Nevada Skies is bloated and buggy and increases you infinite loading screen crash frequency alot, so people are switching to Project Reality, but there is no way to control the settings until the next version, so you will have to deal with a desaturated light blue filter. Personally I uninstalled it and use Fellout / Directors Chair / etc. and just go without weather.

Lots of problems with World of Pain, consensus seems to be it has become crap.

And I want to plug Imp's More Complex Needs. It makes you keep track of your calorie/protein/nutrient intake, as well as changing how food heals you, etc. The only problem is - like with any mod that adds a feature - once you figure out how to eat 'correctly' you get a bunch of +stat bonuses that make some poo poo really easy. Right now I've got +1 Str, +1 End, +3 Cha, +1 Int, +2 Lck from eating well consistently for the past week.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Since AWOP is lovely, if you do want more places to shoot at mans, Warzones isn't bad, though one section has killing children, for whatever reason.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

NVSE + CASM doesn't impact in game performance at all, right?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Elliotw2 posted:

Since AWOP is lovely, if you do want more places to shoot at mans, Warzones isn't bad, though one section has killing children, for whatever reason.

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me but I'm not asking for MORE places to shoot at mans, but anything that would make shootings at mans more funner without making the game a suicide-fest

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The vanilla fps gameplay is better than it was in FO3, I'd just play through it once vanilla and if you want to change something via mods at least you'll have a point of reference. This is generally the type of advice everyone playing the game for the first time gets. There is actually a decent game to be played here without mods so there's no reason for someone who is just starting to go too crazy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SheepNameKiller posted:

The vanilla fps gameplay is better than it was in FO3, I'd just play through it once vanilla and if you want to change something via mods at least you'll have a point of reference. This is generally the type of advice everyone playing the game for the first time gets. There is actually a decent game to be played here without mods so there's no reason for someone who is just starting to go too crazy.

Though, I do suggest the Project Nevada Core module. since it adds nice things such as sprint, a dynamic crosshair, and a grenade button.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

VisAbsoluta posted:

NVSE + CASM doesn't impact in game performance at all, right?

Not that I've seen. I only rarely get a slowdown/freeze for a second when CASM is saving, but that could be it interacting with something else.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Actually if you want to install the whole project nevada suite and just switch all of the rebalance settings back to vanilla to start it wouldn't really hurt either, you can re-tweak them via the menu according to your tastes as you play and the equipment in the mod is really well done and immersive. I do recommend downloading the patch that switches food back to normal, I dunno what the hell they were thinking there but it's the one time I've seen the team fall victim to retarded feature creep.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Right now I'm playing PN with mostly vanilla settings, HP's are a bit lower and ammo / food is rarer, but the big change I made is setting XP to 50% and 1 perk / level (you really need a more perks mod for that). I've done most of the missions up through Helios 1, and I'm only approaching level 9.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I installed the Armory 2.0 mod and its working good, but how do I use the weapon MOD things? I turned on the weapons cabinet just to check things out but I'm new to FNV and don't what the gently caress.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sylink posted:

I installed the Armory 2.0 mod and its working good, but how do I use the weapon MOD things? I turned on the weapons cabinet just to check things out but I'm new to FNV and don't what the gently caress.

Highlight a weapon in your inventory and hit "X". It'll bring up a list of all the mods you are carrying that can apply to that weapon, click to install. Keep in mind it's irreversible.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Male Man posted:

Highlight a weapon in your inventory and hit "X". It'll bring up a list of all the mods you are carrying that can apply to that weapon, click to install. Keep in mind it's irreversible.

I've always have an issue with the armory mod and not being able to add the mods to any of the weapons even. When I hit X there are no mod options to add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

B-Mac posted:

I've always have an issue with the armory mod and not being able to add the mods to any of the weapons even. When I hit X there are no mod options to add.

Not all weapons have mods. I think one of Naky's posts has a spreadsheet with the stats for every gun in 2.0, including what guns use which mods.