Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Mongolian Squid posted:

If I'm working with index mutual funds, is this a good time to buy before the markets start gaining again?
No.

Edit to add actual content: thinking about nibbling on TLT if it hits $110 before the end of the week, selling Aug 110 puts and buying September. That isn't dumber than when I went naked long QQQ at the close on the 29th, but it's not far off.

And that's what makes a market
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Mongolian Squid posted:

If I'm working with index mutual funds, is this a good time to buy before the markets start gaining again?

Yes.

^^^ Today the market was up, obviously I am the objective winner.

Foma fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 11, 2011

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Mongolian Squid posted:

Just to serve as a tiebreaker, if your use of index funds is as a primarily passive investment vehicle, there is almost never a bad time to buy. And for the same reason, there is almost never a good time.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Thanks for advice, seems like the opinions swing all different ways. I'm 25 and got about 25k invested in four different vanguard stock and bond mutual funds.

The recent completely negated my appreciations but I think I'll just stick for the long term and not react. I'm hoping to use this money in about 20 years to buy a home, till then I'm planning on renting and putting extra money into further investments/savings.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mongolian Squid posted:

Thanks for advice, seems like the opinions swing all different ways. I'm 25 and got about 25k invested in four different vanguard stock and bond mutual funds.

The recent completely negated my appreciations but I think I'll just stick for the long term and not react. I'm hoping to use this money in about 20 years to buy a home, till then I'm planning on renting and putting extra money into further investments/savings.
I'm in a similar situatino and the idea is really that with a long time horizon, it doesn't really matter. But consider this: My paper trading account from early '09 has is up 90%. Waiting till market bottom would be prudent.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
CSCO :whatup: I knew you'd come through for me.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Saint Fu posted:

CSCO :whatup: I knew you'd come through for me.

All my options are still under water :unsmith:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Inverse Icarus posted:

All my options are still under water :unsmith:

Me too :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If we're really repeating 2008, then tomorrow should be a huge down day. So far, this week has been perfectly predictable.

(And yet I haven't taken advantage of it :()

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 16, 2013

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Disnesquick posted:

That would be very helpful. Thank you!

OK so it's pretty simple. To get a bunch of data into excel make sure you have eSignal and Qlink open and use the array formula below for a range of cells:

{=QLink|Bars!'SQQQ,1,390,CDHLOTV,HEADERS,FILL,REVERSE,09:30-16:00'}

Format:

{=QLink|Bars!'SYMBOL,INTERVAL,BARS,COLUMNS_TO_SHOW,SHOW_HEADERS,FILL_BLANKS,SHOW_REVERSE,TIME_FROM-TIME_TO'}

You can write a macro to get a bunch of days and stocks this way. It's how I used to do it a couple years ago.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

cremnob posted:

I hope so! I'm waiting for money to enter my brokerage account to buy in, I just hope I haven't missed the boat already.
Same.

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009
My money came through today; and I threw most of it in AOL, hoping to see a increase from when i bought it at 11.85; sadly no luck - thankfully I short sold and came out with 70$ from it though.

I'm reading reports about Nvidia would now be the time to invest in them or has that boat all ready sailed?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Daspied posted:

My money came through today; and I threw most of it in AOL, hoping to see a increase from when i bought it at 11.85; sadly no luck - thankfully I short sold and came out with 70$ from it though.

I'm reading reports about Nvidia would now be the time to invest in them or has that boat all ready sailed?

Well you're going all in on AOL (am I reading that right??), so you know a thing or two about boats that have already sailed

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009

greasyhands posted:

Well you're going all in on AOL (am I reading that right??), so you know a thing or two about boats that have already sailed

Not really, this is my first time really investing; But I suppose your reply was more of a stab at the now defunct company any ways.

The one thing that has confused me is how do you guys keep your nerve - and how do you know when to go for the long hull or not?

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

Daspied posted:

Throwing most of your money at one of the worst managed online media companies in the middle of a dept crisis and consequently sell out doesn't sound like the most prudent thing to do.

Nvidia has some great technology, but like its cousin AMD has had great difficulty getting their product into profitable devices. They are mainly selling their chips to the cutthroat android market not to mention their bread and butter desktop/laptop chips have found difficulty getting into mainstream PC vendors. Lot of volatility here, especially since their price is driven by a lot of speculation.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Daspied posted:

Not really, this is my first time really investing; But I suppose your reply was more of a stab at the now defunct company any ways.

The one thing that has confused me is how do you guys keep your nerve - and how do you know when to go for the long hull or not?

If you put "most"(more than 50% of your portfolio?) of your money in AOL you really need to rethink your strategy.

deathbypudding
Apr 28, 2006

Daspied posted:

Oh man, I needed a good laugh. Dude, I have some pets.com shares to unload on you if you're interested.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can anybody here share what it the process was like opening an account with Interactive Brokers? It looks like I have enough now to be able to open up one, even if I don't really have the time to trade aggressively, but I could still invest over longer periods. My original idea was to be able to take advantage of live feeds and working on automated trading, even if I wouldn't be doing that for awhile. If I have a real account with them, is there basically a way to paper trade a fake account to test stuff in real time?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
AOL has been whacked so hard it might not be the worst short term hold (I am not holding it). Right now its pieces are worth more than its share price. I do think management will squander its value instead of returning it to shareholders.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

First trade ever, looking at Bank of America (BAC), it's at -26% with the news of them getting sued. Sounds like a good investment at the moment, confirm/deny?

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 12, 2011

Excursus
Sep 11, 2004

Mysterious vagina tentacles will devour my penis

owDAWG posted:

Nvidia has some great technology, but like its cousin AMD has had great difficulty getting their product into profitable devices. They are mainly selling their chips to the cutthroat android market not to mention their bread and butter desktop/laptop chips have found difficulty getting into mainstream PC vendors. Lot of volatility here, especially since their price is driven by a lot of speculation.

No poo poo: +12% pre-market, now -5%. Pleased I didn't average down this morning now.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I think anyone going long here for more than a day or two is just a straight foo. Wait until the dust settles, bitches. Seriously, use a loving ruler and try to figure out some trends. Right now it looks flat at best, so really you're best keeping your money in cash until there's an obvious direction either way; remember it's been lalala up world for the last 2 1/2 years courtesy of the Fed.

When was the last time you saw that much of a downward slope? Sept 2008. When did it finally definitely go up for sure? March/April 2009. That's a half of a year of volatility... if you're a buy and hold kind of person, cash is your best bet my friend.

And that's not to say you might get some good gains every day or so, it's just a bad time to do long term bull with all your money IMO.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

deathbypudding posted:

Jesus, these kind of moves are insane. I think when you have a market dominated by HFT, this kind of thing is bound to happen.

Anyone want to make some bets about what tomorrow will bring? I kept my UGL and DIG right into the close. Hoping tomorrow the dead-cat bounce continues.

I look forward to when agencies decide to monitor HFTers like Blizzard trying to monitor bot/drop hackers. That would be such an awesome catastrophe.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/nasdaqlastsale.aspx?symbol=NOK&selected=NOK

Nice premarket action after Google / Motorola news.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Atoramos posted:

First trade ever, looking at Bank of America (BAC), it's at -26% with the news of them getting sued. Sounds like a good investment at the moment, confirm/deny?

It's -26% for a reason.

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

Plastic Jesus posted:

I don't know anything about eSignal, but Interactive Brokers has an API for all of their data, both live and historical, that you can use if you have an account with them. AFAIK you can just deposit $25k and use their data to your heart's content without actually trading through them, but i could be wrong.

I haven't looked at IB data, but apparently the quality is low (at least if you're looking at the sub-minute level.)

I get live data from XTAPI, which is very good, but expensive at $1400 a month for all futures exchanges (about $600 I think for a single exchange). That includes XTrader though, so you should be able to get data alone much cheaper.

Depending on what kind of quality you need, maybe look at NxCore (reasonably high end) or IQFeed (lower end). I haven't tried either, so obviously can't vouch for quality. Bloomberg is probably excessive.

As for eSignal, don't know about live, but the historical does contain some bad prints, and I believe the API costs extra (not 100% on this).

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
Banks are doing terrible for a reason and I think people are finally catching on only now. Most banks out there are way under-capitalized if you look at Basil 3 requirements. The US is on board with Basil 3 requiring banks to increase their reserve capital by around 50% over what was required before the entire financial meltdown. The actual laws and enforcement body behind the Dodd-Frank bill are not there yet and who knows what effect it will have. No one knows the real book value of some of these banks as they are still writing down the toxic assets to this day, not to mention the lawsuits that will follow from investors who these toxic assets were sold to when they knew they were toxic. The banks are being slowly bled of any capital that they would otherwise return to investors to pay off everything I listed above as during the financial crisis this was the better option over nationalization and bankruptcy. It will be years before they will return anything to investors.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Both zecco and google.finance show UGL up 51.67%. That's a fluke right?

e: yep it was. How does one participate in after hours trading?

spf3million fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 16, 2011

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

Both zecco and google.finance show UGL up 51.67%. That's a fluke right?

e: yep it was. How does one participate in after hours trading?

By placing orders in the after-market section?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Atoramos posted:

BoA (banks in general) was one of the top performers coming out of Roller Coaster Week, gaining something like 8%. That ship sailed if you didn't capitalize on it.

I used proceeds from Toyota and Exxon to go long GE last Monday and was praying the market would correct afterwards. Prayers were answered on Tuesday, crucified on Wednesday, resurrected on Thursday, and walked out of the cave on Friday. I admit that this decision was mostly market-based and had little to do with company fundamentals but its not too often that a 400-pt softball pitch comes our way.

I am concerned about Germany's recent stagnant GDP report.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 16, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I want to trade today, but I'm afraid to do anything until after the Merkel/Sarcozi press release.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
Does anyone have any experience with the autotrade system that TOS offers?

I'm not sure if we're "out of the cave" but went bullish on some long term dividendy type stocks (XOM kinds of stuff). I think the recovery from this will give the cash cows a growth stocks price movements but with the bonus of dividends. C'mon big oil!!

My week was different than Orgasmo's.

Monday: Watch
Tuesday: Watch
Wed: Watch
Thurs: Watch
Fri: Watch
Monday: Went long now that volatility tornado has been reduced to just a menacing twister.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I'm not currently actively trading, but I'm wondering: does frequent stock trading cause a giant hassle at tax time? Do you have to record all trades you make manually, or do you trust your broker to give you an accurate tax document? Thanks for input.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

onefish posted:

I'm not currently actively trading, but I'm wondering: does frequent stock trading cause a giant hassle at tax time? Do you have to record all trades you make manually, or do you trust your broker to give you an accurate tax document? Thanks for input.

Every trade I make generates a tax document from Schwab, but I'm not a day trader.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Same here, with Zecco. But I did notice my forms only listed trades occurring during the year, so when I sold something I bought the year before I had to look up what I paid for it.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

quote:

Depends enormously on your broker. They'll always give you (and the IRS) the date of sale, and the sales proceeds, but they may or may not actually give you the cost basis information.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why oh why didn't I buy FAZ at the end of yesterday?

At least I only own AAPL and GLD right now.

edit: eased into some FAZ. Will be watching the market closely for a possible reversal this afternoon.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 18, 2011

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Man I'm frothing at the mouth buying up all these cheap chinese stocks that trade at 0.x-1x sales and yield more than 30 yr bonds here with all the profits from shorting those 10xer stocks. It's like buying options on the RMB/USD that actually gain theta. CISG, EJ, CYD.

CRM better come in really well today or its curtains for FMR. Don't think I'll get greedy and hold through at this point though even though I think CRM eventually hits 75. It's funny most of those 10xers are now 5xers at this point. That means its about time to cover and mabye even think about buying at 3x. Except for OPEN and LNKD, those are going to $20. Replacing them with shorts of REITs SPG and BXP though. Those should have pretty big problems soon and are way too expensive. Oh, N should be good for 50% on a short too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bye bye 11k, we hardly knew ye.