Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Reg Hollis - from kinky S&M scandal and a suicide attempt to indie movie award winner: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14526650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Right have I gone mental or was there a guy called Peace Lord on University Challenge tonight?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Reg Hollis - from kinky S&M scandal and a suicide attempt to indie movie award winner: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14526650

That picture is incredible, he looks amazing with that beard & hair.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Concrete jungle is on channel 4 right now. Its about street sports like parkour and trial biking. Pretty good so far.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Also remember that Only Connect started again tonight. I like the show quite a bit as it makes the people I show it to angry. "GAH THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE WHO IS THAT SMUG WOMAN"

It's very rare I find a celebrity attractive but I do with Coren. Just nobody say 'totty', I loving hate that word.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it was Finders Keepers. No idea that made it over there (I'm Australian).

Good God yes! I remember watching this and Pugwall on Channel 4 early in the mornings! Quite a lot of Australian kids TV made it over here I'm sure. Theres obviously Round The Twist, but I remember watching Ship To Shore and Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left too.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

High pitched geordie exorcism holy poo poo hahaha.
Also that tiny man.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don't know what it is about shooting stars, but I hardly ever laugh out loud at shows, but it just kills me. I have a huge grin on my face the entire time. It's absolute genious. I love Angelous and his convoluted score-trolley. I just wish he still used that random burst of smoke on whoever sits closest to him. Also, the club style thing cracks me up. What the hell is club style.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Club style is meant to be in the style of a cabaret singer that you'd get in a working man's club.

Angelos is loving hysterical. Ulrika is looking terrifying these days, what's going on with that neck?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

henpod posted:

What the hell is club style.
Yeah, singing it "in the club style" is this tiny comedic idea that the more you consider it, the funnier it gets. Love Shooting Stars.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Wonker posted:

Ugh, Idris Elba is an awful TV presenter... Anyone see How Hip Hop Changed the World, which was on last night? I could literally only watch 5 minutes before switching off, annoyed.

Half an hour in now, and this is quite bad.
The 'top 50' part feels really like it was tacked on after. Basically just on screen numbers popping up at arbitrary times. Elba's mentioned a number maybe once.
The actual documentary appears to lack any structure. I don't know what narrative if any they're supposed to be constructing here. Just jumping all over the place.
I think this might be the perfect example of what's wrong with modern documentary making. Annoying because it's such a waste of 90 mins of what could be a very interesting programme.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who the gently caress is this Cherry bird and why does why does she seem to have infinite programs on bbc3??

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Wormophile posted:

Right have I gone mental or was there a guy called Peace Lord on University Challenge tonight?

I think I'm in love with the Donaghy girl. She was the only one who knew that Ursula le Guin wrote The Dispossessed :allears:

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jack Dee. With your face like an explosion... at a poo poo farm.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Leovinus posted:

Jack Dee. With your face like an explosion... at a poo poo farm.

That was especially funny because Dee broke his 'grumpy' act because he couldn't help but laugh at that one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
"With your face like a sun-dried fart" was my favourite.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

HoldYourFire posted:

I think I'm in love with the Donaghy girl. She was the only one who knew that Ursula le Guin wrote The Dispossessed :allears:

I choose who to root for based on which team has the most girls because I am a disgrace. Still waiting for the next Trimble :allears:

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
this guy on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares is amazing

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

le chat posted:

this guy on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares is amazing

He really is. He hates customers.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

henpod posted:

That was especially funny because Dee broke his 'grumpy' act because he couldn't help but laugh at that one.
Yes indeed, err havent got anything to add but ive typed it now.

Everyone go along and watch shooting stars!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

It was the first time I've watched anything in hd on iplayer, it was pretty good. I hope they keep doing it until they're really old, there is something funnier about two fifty year old men presenting than when they were thirty.

also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Ffca4xU7E

justcola fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 17, 2011

text
Mar 12, 2011
Did anyone else watch Wilfred last night on BBC3?

It's about a guy(Elijah Wood) who sees his next door neighbour's dog as a man in a dogsuit.

I can't tell if it's terrible or genius.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Can't it be both?

((it's both))

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It gets better as it goes on, especially from about episode 3 onwards.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
The last episode of smallville on 4oD atm was pretty drat good (if you are into superman and all that crap)

It was a very well done, well directed, well acted episode involving alternate realities and stuff, well worth a watch.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone seen the Inbetweeners movie yet?

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Junkenstein posted:

No, and I'm getting troubling Kevin and Perry Go Large vibes off the trailers. Is it any good?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Only read the Empire review, but seems very positive. They actually mention that's it's no Kevin and Perry go Large.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was 16 when Kevin and Perry came out, so I have fond memories. Commentary track was pretty funny too, and it kinda bugs me I lost that DVD.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Cant wait for celeb big brother to start tonight, suck it haters! ;)

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Junkenstein posted:

I didn't have high hopes for it after season three turned out to be poo poo, but I've heard good things from friends who attended a test screening and Empire compared it positively to Superbad, so I guess I'll be going at some point.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

StrawmanUK posted:

Cant wait for celeb big brother to start tonight, suck it haters! ;)

I have such a love-hate relationship with Big Brother. I used to love it in the summers when nothing else was on and it kinda gives you something every day to look forward to. (Oh god, how sad does that sound...) But there's no Davina, which is crazy. Marcus voice over guy is apparently back though.

I dunno. I'll probably watch the first few. I find Jedward strangely appealing.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I think its the same production company so should be unchanged except no Davina. I must admit I was getting sick of it myself, mainly due to the increasingly obvious interfering from the producers and biased editting of the highlights show. Still the celeb one should be a laugh.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I could do without Dowling as the main presenter. The interviews will be poo poo. Davina seemed to know what she was doing until she'd interview various female contestants and treat them with utter contempt. They should give Emma Willis the main show.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Junkenstein posted:

Only read the Empire review, but seems very positive. They actually mention that's it's no Kevin and Perry go Large.
It made more than £2million last night.

StrawmanUK posted:

I think its the same production company so should be unchanged except no Davina. I must admit I was getting sick of it myself, mainly due to the increasingly obvious interfering from the producers and biased editting of the highlights show. Still the celeb one should be a laugh.
Yeah it's still made by an endemol subsidiary but it's got a new-ish team of producers (the execs are probably the same though). Also 'biased editing' :lol:

What does TVIV feel about the suggested ditching / cutting back on BBC4? It's part of the BBC's Delivering Quality First media strategy of "say we're doing a thing and see if the public are bothered" but it got someone on a TV workers forum brilliantly wound up:

quote:

OK. Here's a bit of blue sky thinking.

Why don't they scrap peak time BBC1? In fact all channels could just start at BBC2 - they could just run some footage of someone throwing a pot accompanied by some muzak with a caption that reads - "Apologies for the interruption to your programmes on this, the former flagship of the finest broadcasting system in the world before the corporation that created it became a political football". There would of course be uproar when the audiences couldn't choon in for 'Stenders or Strictly but it would bring it home to the public what it means to have to make 20% cuts to the corporation on top of steadily falling budgets throughout the last decade or so (thanks Gordon you oval office). Making cuts to BBC1 might make apathetic joe public care a little bit more about the corporation which (I hasten to add) is akin to the NHS inasmuch as it is just one of the few ways we still do excellent things in this country. The BBC generated billions of pounds in turnover for British business and yet this loving bunch of Eton educated coke heads (allegedly) slashes its budget as a sop to their friends in a soon to be criminally indicted organisation (allegedly) who placed one of its own coke heads (fact...... (allegedly)) in the heart of British government while still on the payroll of the aforesaid organisation (allegedly). The resultant cuts to the corporation have sent the British media industry into recession and made hundreds of previously tax contributing individuals unemployed. Meanwhile a subsidiary of the former are free to reap billions in profits because they produce a fraction of the output that the BBC does. In other words they have been handed a licence to print money you loving fuckers!

Of course the corporation won't do this and I don't blame them. It's a silly idea.

But then why not can the proms? Hit The Telegraph readers where it hurts and see how they like it when the loving cuts bite.

Actually don't do that either because they would only bleat even more about why they shouldn't pay the licence fee because it's an unfair tax and there's nothing they ever want to watch on it forgetting the fact that they also get poo poo loads of high-quality radio stations. In fact I defy any of those smug anti-licence fee Tory MPs to deny he ever listens to BBC Radio 3 or the Today programme.

gently caress the lot of that smug bunch of arrogant, self serving, claret gargling cocks with all their ugly wives (except for John Bercow although he can get hosed as well... Oh, and the rather attractive Louise Mensch) and your loving £20,000 duck houses. I hate all of you so much you horrible lot I'd like to take a dump on each and every one of your neatly manicured lawns.

Have you ever watched Sky Arts? No, nor me.
Can't honetly say I disagree with that though. The BBC (like the NHS) should be properly funded and then left alone to do it's job, if both of them were they'd be excellent.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can we add the railways to that list?

Mind you, I hate to say this, but Sky Arts is actually a half-decent channel. I don't watch much of it cos BBC 4 is on the iPlayer, but what I have come across while channel-surfing has been very watchable (like a huge load of archive documentaries from the 30s, 40s and 50s about institutions of the day), and there's a lot of friends of the family who move in highbrow circles and they watch quite a lot of stuff on there, it's apparently particularly good for things like opera and dance performances.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Padje posted:

I could do without Dowling as the main presenter. The interviews will be poo poo. Davina seemed to know what she was doing until she'd interview various female contestants and treat them with utter contempt. They should give Emma Willis the main show.

Davina's interviews did get pretty wank as the series went on as well, idk how Dowling will do but I can't help but like him so I hope he's not bad. You're right though that Emma Willis should have got the main show, she was by far the best BB presenter last year.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I was kinda half looking forward to Big Brother. I've not got high hopes for it at all. But UEFA Cup is on tonight, so no dice.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Yeah Sky Arts is alright, it shows quite a lot of ballet which is nice.

But yeah don't get me started on beeb cuts, it winds me up like nothing else. The idea that there should be a body that creates programming that has a nobler agenda than targeting demographics and selling ad space is really important and is one of the few things I'm proud of in this country. The BBC is a loving pain in the arse with the way it runs itself, with it's unnecessary obsession with ratings, the compliance, the "balanced" rather than unbiased reporting and it's irritating inefficiency. But it's still worth the piddly little licence fee which I'd pay for Radio 4 and the website alone. It's about more than not having to watch adverts between episodes of Strictly Come Dancing, it's about having a service that can provide content that advertising funded large channels cant get away with and that guy is totally right gently caress everyone who wants to hobble it and ruin everything GGRAAAGHR SO MAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Can't honetly say I disagree with that though. The BBC (like the NHS) should be properly funded and then left alone to do it's job, if both of them were they'd be excellent.
He needs a TV/IV only account straight away.