Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I don't have a volt meter, can I just get one at radio shack and do it? I don't know how to test volts so eh, I can learn.

I replaced the brake light switch just now actually, and the same problem persists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
I am the calm center of Chaos.
All hail Discordia.
In the next few weeks I'll be getting rid of my dad's old 1999 saturn and buying a new car. I'm looking at the new 2012 golf, gas model (since I don't have the extra 4k for the TDI). I got a price quote from AAA and called a few dealers--and one of them offered me a new golf below invoice right off the bat. (2012 gas 4-door auto w/sunroof, convenience package, touch-screen satellite radio, etc. for 22,249; about $250 below invoice).

Should I be worried? I'm going to check out the car on Monday and give it a test drive, but the other dealers I were talking to wouldn't go below 22.5 for the same model (and that was after some haggling). Can you think of anything I should look out for when I go look at the car, or any reason that they'd quote so low from the very beginning?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gix posted:

Should I be worried? I'm going to check out the car on Monday and give it a test drive, but the other dealers I were talking to wouldn't go below 22.5 for the same model (and that was after some haggling). Can you think of anything I should look out for when I go look at the car, or any reason that they'd quote so low from the very beginning?

Because it was damaged coming off the truck? On the lot?

They have to disclose that.

If not, who cares? It's a new car and its under warranty.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Not an Anthem posted:

I don't have a volt meter, can I just get one at radio shack and do it? I don't know how to test volts so eh, I can learn.

I replaced the brake light switch just now actually, and the same problem persists.

Go ahead and buy a cheap volt meter - they're really handy to have around the house. If you haven't had a look at the bulb sockets yet that's where I'd go next - it's easy and takes only a few minutes to check for arcing soot or corrosion.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Is there an online manual for how to take the rear brake light covers off or whatever, in the case of the third brake light I had googled a pictorial blog on how to do it, same with the running lights.

Her manual in the car doesn't describe any sort of repairs. Thanks for the help, I'll look into a cheap but functional volt meter.

edit- I guess another good question is if I do find crud everywhere, would a simple careful wash fix the problem?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 7, 2011

Acknot
Mar 18, 2008
Well this is just great. I just picked up a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI and there is no key for the detachable towhitch (clarification - the towbar for puling my car trailer).

How do I remove it? And how do I get a new key for it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Acknot posted:

Well this is just great. I just picked up a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI and there is no key for the detachable towhitch (clarification - the towbar for puling my car trailer).

How do I remove it? And how do I get a new key for it?

Are you saying you have a lockable draw pin (so people can't steal the hitch)? If so, that's tho stock. If you find the manufacturer on it you could call them and see if their keys are universal, or if they can get you another. Or you can do the easy thing and just stop by a welding shop and slip somebody $10 to cut it off and then go get a new one.

Acknot
Mar 18, 2008
There are good suggestions, but where do I cut in order to be able to replace it? Looke like the locking mechanism has a sliding piston. If I cut the hitch itself, how do I remove the stub that's left on the car?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Acknot posted:

There are good suggestions, but where do I cut in order to be able to replace it? Looke like the locking mechanism has a sliding piston. If I cut the hitch itself, how do I remove the stub that's left on the car?

Not sure what style you have....can you grab a picture of it?

Most I've seen are just bent at one end, and have a notch for the lock to engage with on the other. If you cut either end off of those, it will just slide through.

I can't imagine that there would be anything keeping it from sliding through inside on yours either, as putting any sort of mechanism through that pin is just going to serve to weaken it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
How dumb would I have to be to buy a 1990 Audi coupe quattro? Especially say, one with 200k miles, and mismatched panels? Asking price is 1200$, I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow regardless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

How dumb would I have to be to buy a 1990 Audi coupe quattro? Especially say, one with 200k miles, and mismatched panels? Asking price is 1200$, I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow regardless.

If you don't do your own work or aren't independently wealthy? Pretty stupid.

On the other hand, if you have or are willing to acquire some tools, have a place to work, and are interested in learning it could be goddamn magical.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Frank Dillinger posted:

I loved mine, if it had more power, I'd still have it.

That said, I owned one about 15 years ago and I'm sure age has not been kind. Hell, they were... problematic... back then.

Check all the switches controlling electrical items. All of them. Window switches in particular were prone to failure. The window regulators in the doors were made with plastic pulleys that break, requiring regulator replacement. Most of the body parts are coupe-specific. The stock Speedline wheels were terrible when new (corrosion under the clearcoat getting to the point that they will leak air).

Other than that, it's like a regular early-'90s Audi 80/90.

But they are damned fun, especially in the snow. And the 10v/20v turbo motors are pretty straightfoward swaps, search for "ersatz S2" and you'll drool.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Well, I have a heated garage to work in, and basic tools, I think I'm just looking for an excuse to buy more tools and such. I have a decent mechanical aptitude, but the only thing really giving me worry is that parts might be hard to find, especially electronics stuff, and even moreso coupe specific parts.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Not an Anthem posted:

Is there an online manual for how to take the rear brake light covers off or whatever, in the case of the third brake light I had googled a pictorial blog on how to do it, same with the running lights.

You mean the taillight lenses? Open the trunk and look for a circular access panel (1 per side obviously). Pry that out, and stick your hand in the resulting hole and spin off the big plastic star nut. Takes approximately 5000 turns and your hand will cramp up/fall asleep. Then the taillight housing will swing out as if the outside edge were the hinge (ie pull/pry from the center of the car). Usually it's stuck on pretty good with road grime so I always take a small flathead screwdriver and stick it in the seam where the fender meets the bumper and gently pry it up enough to get some fingers under it. But the axis the lens swings on is not the same as the seam; it's horizontal. gently caress this description is pretty confusing. Anyway, the first time you do it it takes 3 hours. The second time takes 30 seconds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Well, I have a heated garage to work in, and basic tools, I think I'm just looking for an excuse to buy more tools and such. I have a decent mechanical aptitude, but the only thing really giving me worry is that parts might be hard to find, especially electronics stuff, and even moreso coupe specific parts.

That's just the way it works...sometimes it takes a while to get parts. Sometimes you pay way to much when you are impatient/desperate.

With the attitude you have about looking for excuses to buy tools and if you have something else to drive, even if it's just a beater you'll be fine. Find the model specific forums for those things and get to know the guys who have parts cars. Figure out where you get parts you need new cheap (Pelican Parts will probably be on that list). Accept that it won't always be pretty, and won't always run, and that you might need to wait on parts for a while and drive something else.

If you can do all of those things, as well as pay attention to details, sounds, and smells, you will likely be happy and never left waiting for a tow truck. I'm doing all of those things to daily drive a 25 year old sports car. I have better/newer/more expensive cars to choose from. But I consider them backups, because that's just what I want to be driving.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Bolkovr posted:

You mean the taillight lenses? Open the trunk and look for a circular access panel (1 per side obviously). Pry that out, and stick your hand in the resulting hole and spin off the big plastic star nut. Takes approximately 5000 turns and your hand will cramp up/fall asleep. Then the taillight housing will swing out as if the outside edge were the hinge (ie pull/pry from the center of the car). Usually it's stuck on pretty good with road grime so I always take a small flathead screwdriver and stick it in the seam where the fender meets the bumper and gently pry it up enough to get some fingers under it. But the axis the lens swings on is not the same as the seam; it's horizontal. gently caress this description is pretty confusing. Anyway, the first time you do it it takes 3 hours. The second time takes 30 seconds.

To add to this, each tail light lens has a little metal spring on the edge nearest to the trunk that helps keeep it secure.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So for a layman, what's the big separating factor between the GTI and the R? I read something about them not offering the DSG on the American R, so will it really offer anything different aside from increased amounts of go-fast?

I ask because my dad traded in his early 2000s Acura RSX-S for a 2012 GTI, and while I'm mad jealous, I'm curious as to what he missed out on by not waiting for the R. He didn't want the DSG even if they offered it, anyway, so that wouldn't have been a big selling point for him.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

So for a layman, what's the big separating factor between the GTI and the R? I read something about them not offering the DSG on the American R, so will it really offer anything different aside from increased amounts of go-fast?

I ask because my dad traded in his early 2000s Acura RSX-S for a 2012 GTI, and while I'm mad jealous, I'm curious as to what he missed out on by not waiting for the R. He didn't want the DSG even if they offered it, anyway, so that wouldn't have been a big selling point for him.

"fake" AWD, 50hp, a body kit on top of a loaded GTI. At launch you better expect dealerships to be gauging on this one.

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 9, 2011

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

I've driven the Euro-spec Golf R and it's a far faster and better handling car than the current GTI - enough that I consider it worth the extra cash. Having said that, I haven't driven a US-spec R yet so the jury is still out.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Bolkovr posted:

my1999gsr posted:

To add to this, each tail light lens has a little metal spring on the edge nearest to the trunk that helps keeep it secure.

Thanks- I'll be getting a multimeter, what exactly do I clean for corrosion, or do I have to replace wiring?

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Gix posted:

In the next few weeks I'll be getting rid of my dad's old 1999 saturn and buying a new car. I'm looking at the new 2012 golf, gas model (since I don't have the extra 4k for the TDI). I got a price quote from AAA and called a few dealers--and one of them offered me a new golf below invoice right off the bat. (2012 gas 4-door auto w/sunroof, convenience package, touch-screen satellite radio, etc. for 22,249; about $250 below invoice).

I got a 2011 TDI for 500 below invoice. Don't worry, sometimes it may be good for the dealer to sell a car below invoice.

Also, without the sunroof, a TDI costs only 2.5K more. For the 2.5K you get bigger alloy wheels, an arm rest in between the front seats (take note of that when you go to the dealer), and of course the TDI engine.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Not an Anthem posted:

Thanks- I'll be getting a multimeter, what exactly do I clean for corrosion, or do I have to replace wiring?

Look for puffy greenish-white dust anywhere there's exposed metal involved in the wiring. You might also see some black scorch marks inside the sockets where the tail/brake light bulbs go too. We use a chemical cleaner for wiring corrosion but if you Google "removing green death" you should find some solutions for the DIY.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

my1999gsr posted:

Look for puffy greenish-white dust anywhere there's exposed metal involved in the wiring. You might also see some black scorch marks inside the sockets where the tail/brake light bulbs go too. We use a chemical cleaner for wiring corrosion but if you Google "removing green death" you should find some solutions for the DIY.

Most say olive oil, goo gone or other acidic solutions I don't have. Thanks.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Not an Anthem posted:

Most say olive oil, goo gone or other acidic solutions I don't have. Thanks.

I always use this stuff from Radio Shack, with a little fine sandpaper to cut through the oxidation.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Is there anything in particular I should know about '09-10 Tiguans? I'm assuming that it's just a taller Golf.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm looking for a car very soon (I'm driving a rental ATM and I think my company can provide me a car for a short duration) and have been looking around for sports compacts, hatchbacks, something along those lines. Looking around, I've really seen the GTI as a decent choice, but I'd like to get some other opinions.

• 15-20k, can go up to 25 for really good reasons but I don't expect to.
  • Prefer automatic because I've never driven a manual. I'm not adverse to learning to drive a manual but I'd rather it not be with this car.
  • Mostly city/suburban driving with occasional long-distance trips.
  • It will be snowy in the winter.

My main concern is that the GTI seems somewhat expensive (especially with some options tacked on) and I could probably get a much cheaper sedan that I probably wouldn't complain about.

I looked at the TDI and Golf as well - is the GTI worth the premium over the Golf, at least?

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 14, 2011

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Is there anything in particular I should know about '09-10 Tiguans? I'm assuming that it's just a taller Golf.

Overall they've been very solid much like the Golf they resemble.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

totalnewbie posted:

Prefer automatic because I've never driven a manual. I'm not adverse to learning to drive a manual but I'd rather it not be with this car.
I learned manual on my GTI when it was brand new using mostly Youtube and the AI Stupid Questions Thread. I figured the extra $1000 I'd save from not going with the DSG could go towards a new clutch should I gently caress it up. 23,000 miles and the clutch is still fine and I can drive stick now.

totalnewbie posted:

Mostly city/suburban driving with occasional long-distance trips.
I do most of my driving in NYC, and have driven the car to Chicago, Maine, and DC with no back pain or anything from the seats.

totalnewbie posted:

It will be snowy in the winter.
I've been on three or four ski trips to Vermont, and have had the luck to get there in the middle of a crazy snowstorm every time. The first time, I did it on the stock all-seasons, and things would get a bit slippery if you didn't take it easy. After that, I got some old Passat wheels from Craigslist and put snow tires on them, and the car handles just fine on snow with them on. Also, the hatchback great for ski gear.

totalnewbie posted:

My main concern is that the GTI seems somewhat expensive (especially with some options tacked on) and I could probably get a much cheaper sedan that I probably wouldn't complain about.

I looked at the TDI and Golf as well - is the GTI worth the premium over the Golf, at least?
I really can't say anything about how other cars would compare to the GTI, but all of the above is probably also applicable to the TDI and Golf. You just sound like you're in a similar situation as me, and I don't have a single regret with buying the GTI.

The only complaint I can think of is that I get a bit self-conscious of the suspension when I'm hauling people around on city streets. It's fine for when I'm alone in the car and doing whatever I want, but the stock suspension on the GTI does qualify as "firm".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

totalnewbie posted:

I'm looking for a car very soon (I'm driving a rental ATM and I think my company can provide me a car for a short duration) and have been looking around for sports compacts, hatchbacks, something along those lines. Looking around, I've really seen the GTI as a decent choice, but I'd like to get some other opinions.

• 15-20k, can go up to 25 for really good reasons but I don't expect to.
  • Prefer automatic because I've never driven a manual. I'm not adverse to learning to drive a manual but I'd rather it not be with this car.
  • Mostly city/suburban driving with occasional long-distance trips.
  • It will be snowy in the winter.

I just traded my 04.5 GLI in towards a golf TDI. There's actually more room for jamming poo poo in the car than in the larger sedan. I'm currently in a 07 jetta with the 2.0t and dsg, and my god is it a hungry pig. I -might- be getting 27mpg out of it. Definitely go with the manual option as the DSG is reaaaaaaly easy to gently caress up your gas mileage with as it likes to kick down relatively easy. The clutch in VWs works quite well in traffic. I drive 19 miles each way, with at least half of it in stop and go, and I'd never give up my clutch. As for snow, just get a good set of winter(studded if you get lots of snow) and you'll be fine. The traction control on these cars does what it's supposed to.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

my1999gsr posted:

Overall they've been very solid much like the Golf they resemble.

Nice. I'm looking at a 35k mile '09. I haven't looked into the exact details, but I think it's due for a DSG fluid change? The DSG is the only thing I'm leery about. My brother has one in his GTI and my mom has one in her A3. The A3 needed a new mechatronic, under warranty of course, but drat, that's an expensive piece of hardware.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

3 litre quattro TDI, with B&O sound system, Sat-Nav and bluetooth. But who cares, LED lights :woop:

and

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Nice. I'm looking at a 35k mile '09. I haven't looked into the exact details, but I think it's due for a DSG fluid change? The DSG is the only thing I'm leery about. My brother has one in his GTI and my mom has one in her A3. The A3 needed a new mechatronic, under warranty of course, but drat, that's an expensive piece of hardware.

The DSG fluid change should be at 40k and it's going to be loving ridiculously expensive.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
My 2.7T Tiptronic A6 had been having a rough time shifting. It would take a while to downshift, and when it did, it would be really rough. Trying to get going from a stop would be hard sometimes because the car would act as if it was in neutral and would take a second to get in gear. I figured it was a transmission fluid issue so I made an appointment with a local shop to get the fluid serviced.

I was coming up my driveway the day before the appointment with the transmission in limp mode. It could barely make the incline and was making a high pitched grinding noise, when all of the sudden I heard a noise sort of like running over a glass bottle and the car turned off, pouring out smoke. I looked under the car and all of my transmission fluid was pouring onto the ground. The car starts but won't go into gear - duh, it doesn't have any transmission fluid.

What does this sound like? I'm already in the process of pulling the engine with the tranny attached and have heard about the input shaft seal going out where the TC mates with the transmission. I've also heard it could be the ATF pump. Have you worked with anything like this in the past?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Do you like to stomp on the accelerator and have a bit of extra fun because you can? That's very much what the GTI is about. If that's not you, you'd probably be better served by saving the money and going with the regular golf.

If you don't want a manual, which you say you don't, then don't get one. The automatic on the regular golf is a regular automatic, but the DSG on the GTI is something special indeed. It's why I fell in love with the GTI, but it's very much something that either makes a huge difference to you (a fun automatic?) or an extra cost with no benefit.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bovine Delight posted:

The DSG fluid change should be at 40k and it's going to be loving ridiculously expensive.

My dealer's price sheet says $350 USD. Could be worse I guess, but still kinda high for routine maintenance. That's on top of the $480 they charge for regular 40k stuff, yikes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

My dealer's price sheet says $350 USD. Could be worse I guess, but still kinda high for routine maintenance. That's on top of the $480 they charge for regular 40k stuff, yikes.

Oh whats that, your 36k free maintenance just ended? Time to make it all back on the 40k service :smuggo:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Aurium posted:

Do you like to stomp on the accelerator and have a bit of extra fun because you can? That's very much what the GTI is about. If that's not you, you'd probably be better served by saving the money and going with the regular golf.

If you don't want a manual, which you say you don't, then don't get one. The automatic on the regular golf is a regular automatic, but the DSG on the GTI is something special indeed. It's why I fell in love with the GTI, but it's very much something that either makes a huge difference to you (a fun automatic?) or an extra cost with no benefit.

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I foresee a Golf in my future.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovine Delight posted:

Oh whats that, your 36k free maintenance just ended? Time to make it all back on the 40k service :smuggo:

I was reading through the manual last night and at least the brake fluid flush is still free at 3 years if you are under 36k miles.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JHVH-1 posted:

Don't feel that bad; when the DSG first came out dealers were charing upwards of $800. I think I paid around $600 to have my DSG flush done in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really wish the used market for VWs was more plentiful. It's impossible to find any used GTIs or Golfs around here with under 50,000 miles on them.

I just want a VW Hatchback. :(