Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Savantegarde posted:

Paul F Tompkins just posted this on facebook and I thought it was amazing.

holy hell thats awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006

Savantegarde posted:

:aaaaa:

That is the most perfect thing I have ever seen.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Tainen posted:

I have been going through some old episodes of UYD and found this amazing story that Jonathan told in episode 110 and I had to upload it to youtube.

UYD - My Life as a Rastafarian Prophet

This is probably one of his best stories, his other being a friend having a bad trip and him dropping acid with him to guide him through the voyage from 272.

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis

King Lou posted:

I've been listening to the Jay Mohr podcast... its so fun to listen to. Such great stories. The only bad part of it is all the Smodcast cornball advertising thats jammed on the front. I got tired of hearing "Smodcast is going Say for Pay" as if getting a CD quality podcast is a super great thing. Its archival!

The best part about it is the fact Jay Mohr will tell you exactly who he is talking about, as opposed to people who go "I don't want to name names."

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dustin1986 posted:

:aaaaa:

That is the most perfect thing I have ever seen.

I'm torn on whether I'd rather have a print of that, or just Lithgow (unobstructed/larger).

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.

ASL NIGGA posted:

The best part about it is the fact Jay Mohr will tell you exactly who he is talking about, as opposed to people who go "I don't want to name names."

Thanks for posting this. It's one of my pet peeves when they do this on podcasts. I understand why but it really takes away from a good story. I've had this in my backlog of podcasts to listen to but i'll be listening to this soon.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

mid posted:

Thanks for posting this. It's one of my pet peeves when they do this on podcasts. I understand why but it really takes away from a good story. I've had this in my backlog of podcasts to listen to but i'll be listening to this soon.

On the other hand since comedians are usually assholes they tend to give hints that are just as identifying as a straight up name. There have been several occasions on Doug Loves Movies and CBB where someone has refused to name a name but the 2nd or 3rd guest is dead set on making them say it so they start naming off identifying characteristics that make it completely obvious.

Greg Proops is coming back to Santa Monica Wednesday LA people!

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
That PFT art is awesome. If high quality prints are made for sale, I'm buying one and having it framed. That is hot poo poo.

Also, has Jay Mohr talked poo poo about Bobcat yet? I really want to know if he has, and which episode(s).

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

substitute posted:

Also, has Jay Mohr talked poo poo about Bobcat yet? I really want to know if he has, and which episode(s).

He does talk about Bobcat on the 2nd episode with his manager. In particular his wife comes on and they talk about her relationship with Bobcat and what happened. It doesn't paint Bobcat in a flattering light.

This is the one
MOHR STORIES #3: THE DOUBLE ALBUM
Jul 21, 2011 - In which Jay and Barry Katz discuss the truth behind Last Comic Standing. Plus: Nikki Cox sits in to give her opinion on "things".

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is the 2nd half of this week's CBB any better than the first? Good lord I could barely get through half of it, and Patton tweeted Friday that he was dying laughing while recording it. I feel betrayed :argh:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Actually, yeah, it got a little bit better, but I hear where you're coming from. Disappointing. It sucks when the characters dominate the show, especially when they have a genuinely good guest on.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Is the 2nd half of this week's CBB any better than the first? Good lord I could barely get through half of it, and Patton tweeted Friday that he was dying laughing while recording it. I feel betrayed :argh:

It was pretty bad, Peppitone is not great at characters... the end had some laughs but definitely one of the worst episodes ever.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Actually, it's one of the best episodes so far because in the last minute Scott mentions that he'll be recording three upcoming episodes with Paul F. Tompkins over Labor Day weekend. :woop:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

t3ch3 posted:

Actually, it's one of the best episodes so far because in the last minute Scott mentions that he'll be recording three upcoming episodes with Paul F. Tompkins over Labor Day weekend. :woop:

I loved his drop in plug, too.
E: "....somebody gets taken..."
S: "Like that movie Taken? Mike Detective Season 2, coming soon..."

You know, there's bitching here just about every week, but I can't remember the last time I didn't love an ep of CBB. Sure, PFT/Daly/etc make for something special, but I don't think I've ever disliked one.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Anyone know the name of the artist who made that Pod F Tompkast illustration? I'd love to see more of his/her work.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Ellaybee posted:

Anyone know the name of the artist who made that Pod F Tompkast illustration? I'd love to see more of his/her work.

According to PFT's Facebook the artist is James Fosdike.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Binowru posted:

According to PFT's Facebook the artist is James Fosdike.

Thanks! I think I'm maybe one of the last dozen or so people who doesn't use facebook.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Well, that's the first episode of CBB that I've turned off midway. Pepitone's character is tedious and uninspired.

But what makes up for it is that I finally got around to checking out "Mohr Stories" it's really engaging and funny. I heard good things about it, but didn't pick it up for ages because I was like, "Eh, Jay Mohr... " but the first three episodes are golden. Between that and working through the backlog of "Mike and Tom" it makes up for the slump in CBB. PFT will bring it back, though.

EDIT: The Smodcast ads in front are embarassing, terrible and very good at convincing me to never check out another podcast on the network.

j8910 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 16, 2011

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Normally I dont agree with the complaints in this thread but that last CBB was an absolute disaster. If Patton was laughing throughout the episode I can only assume he was laughing at how bad it was.

Theres one good thing about the episode if you know Eddie Pepitone as a person (or performer i guess). Even though he was doing a character that had absolutely nothing to do with current events he still found away to throw in his opinion on geopolitics. He just cant help it.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
There were a couple of gross moments but to me this was the best CBB in a while :ohdear: I was afraid at first that Scott was going to do a more interview-y show like we've been getting more of lately and I was relieved when Eddie came in. I thought the character was about as clever as you could get when the punchline is "this guy is amazingly fat". Also, Scott and Patton ripping on Eddie while he had to sit there and take it in-character at the end was great.
Edit: This week's Jeff and Tom Eat Snacks was also really good!

Greggy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 16, 2011

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Savantegarde posted:

AMAZING POSTER

Saw it on Twitter. Oh God, amazing! Would fully pay money for that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ellaybee posted:

Thanks! I think I'm maybe one of the last dozen or so people who doesn't use facebook.

You hadn't need Facebook to find that out, you could have just tilted your head sideways.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I must just be dark/bitter as hell, as I dig Pepitone, and I dug this recent CBB. I have to admit that it wasn't a particularly strong one, but far from worst.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
There isn't much talk of "Jim and Eddie Talk poo poo" here, but it's my favorite podcast so I figured I'd share here.

I saw Eddie last weekend in SF. Awesome show and he was a really cool guy when I talked with him afterwards. I bought a CD and he signed it "Jason is a fat oval office! -Love Eddie", which any fan of the show will probably appreciate.

I guess this is kind of off topic, but has anyone heard of Craig Anton? He opened for Eddie and I thought he was hilarious. The amount of podcasts/comedy I listen to I figured I would have heard of him before.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Maarak posted:

I must just be dark/bitter as hell, as I dig Pepitone, and I dug this recent CBB. I have to admit that it wasn't a particularly strong one, but far from worst.

I was definitely lukewarm on the character but I gotta say, Patton is always such a great guest because he's always asking characters questions and trying to unearth more comedic potential from them. Didn't work out so great this time, but I appreciate the effort.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

King Lou posted:

He does talk about Bobcat on the 2nd episode with his manager. In particular his wife comes on and they talk about her relationship with Bobcat and what happened. It doesn't paint Bobcat in a flattering light.

This is the one
MOHR STORIES #3: THE DOUBLE ALBUM
Jul 21, 2011 - In which Jay and Barry Katz discuss the truth behind Last Comic Standing. Plus: Nikki Cox sits in to give her opinion on "things".

Awesome, thanks Lou. I'm glad they got this out of the way early in the series. If anyone else is interested in just this bit, skip to about 93 minutes in. They talk about Bob for the final 20+ minutes.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Creflo Chronicle posted:

There were a couple of gross moments but to me this was the best CBB in a while :ohdear: I was afraid at first that Scott was going to do a more interview-y show like we've been getting more of lately and I was relieved when Eddie came in. I thought the character was about as clever as you could get when the punchline is "this guy is amazingly fat". Also, Scott and Patton ripping on Eddie while he had to sit there and take it in-character at the end was great.
Edit: This week's Jeff and Tom Eat Snacks was also really good!

I think the only funny part for me was when they did that to peppitone. I listen to the longshot podcast so it's not like I dislike the guy. I just think the character didn't go anywhere and the laughs were few and far between, unlike most episodes of CBB which I pretty much can't stop laughing.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Ugg. Pepitone was like a worse version of Merrill Schindler; I never thought such a thing was possible. I didn't last more than a few minutes after he entered because that was loving gross.

Am I the only one that's getting tired of CBB (and Earwolf in general)? It used to be a little hit or miss, but overall pretty good. Nowadays it seems like the episodes have been hit or miss or miss or miss.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Mogambo posted:

Am I the only one that's getting tired of CBB (and Earwolf in general)?

Yes and you should be ashamed of your goddamn self.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
If you didn't love the Womp It Up! episode I don't know what to tell you

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Groucho Marxist posted:

If you didn't love the Womp It Up! episode I don't know what to tell you

Shut up! I liked Womp It Up (Womp Up the Jam) I just feel like CBB has been pretty bad recently. For me, sometimes it's good, but the boring/unfunny episodes as of late are outnumbering the occasional gem. Maybe I'm just getting tired of it, especially when I don't know/care who the guest is.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Mogambo posted:

Shut up! I liked Womp It Up (Womp Up the Jam) I just feel like CBB has been pretty bad recently. For me, sometimes it's good, but the boring/unfunny episodes as of late are outnumbering the occasional gem. Maybe I'm just getting tired of it, especially when I don't know/care who the guest is.

"Womp it up!" was great, but I just don't look forward to CBB anymore. It used to be that every Monday (or before that, Friday) I was like "Awww yeah, bitches, it's on!". Now, it seems like it lags until later and later in the week before I listen to it. I hope they get it back together, because when it's great it's really great.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I dunno I find it to be a worthy, uh- a worthy, uh- a worthy, uh-

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

I really hope John Hodgman comes back to the Best Show soon. I know he has a new book coming out and besides PFT and Jen Kirkman, he is one of my favorite guests on the show.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

I really hope John Hodgman comes back to the Best Show soon. I know he has a new book coming out

Whaaaaaaaaat? Is that why there hasn't been a new episode?

Is it the third part of his book or a different one?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Best Show should be good tonight. Tom's angry. Disgruntled.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Best Show should be good tonight. Tom's angry. Disgruntled.

Just checked his twitter, and you weren't kidding:

quote:

scharpling scharpling
I could not have less interest in doing my show tonight. The greedy half-talents who plague me have drained my energy. But I will do it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Its still in-progress but holy poo poo, that Philly Boy Roy call!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
'n'thing the sentiments about CBB being pretty weak as of late, and Mohr stories being an entertaining listen. In fact, for the last few weeks Mohr Stories has overtaken CBB in my podcast rotation at work when it comes to listening priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mogambo posted:

I agree. It just hasn't been very good lately. This is good news because it means you aren't getting tired of it and it might get good again.

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Saw it on Twitter. Oh God, amazing! Would fully pay money for that.

Same here. I would buy a poster size version of that Pod F. Thomcast poster.

j8910 posted:

But what makes up for it is that I finally got around to checking out "Mohr Stories" it's really engaging and funny. I heard good things about it, but didn't pick it up for ages because I was like, "Eh, Jay Mohr... " but the first three episodes are golden. Between that and working through the backlog of "Mike and Tom" it makes up for the slump in CBB. PFT will bring it back, though.

EDIT: The Smodcast ads in front are embarassing, terrible and very good at convincing me to never check out another podcast on the network.

Mohr is interesting to me because he seems off or damaged but I can't put my finger on exactly why. My best guess is that he's a narcissist who once was very popular but now has come back down to Earth. Also, he seems like a genuinely funny guy, but he relies way too heavily on impressions which seem to me like a crutch for unfunny comics. His impressions are great, but how many times can you hear him doing Tracy Morgan saying "I'm gonna get everyone here pregnant" before it's not funny anymore? Also, there are moments where he can seem as stupid as Joe Rogan, but he doesn't seem to be as constantly stupid as Joe Rogan. I guess maybe that's from starting in comedy clubs as a teen and forgoing any higher education.

I've heard him mention his "beautiful wife" several times already... does he ever touch on the subject of her horrible plastic surgery?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 17, 2011

• Locked thread