Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is there a specific name for those jackets with a million zippers that were popular in the mid-late '80s, probably due to Michael Jackson? I had one as a kid, and I have a strange desire to own one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
So when people complain about how some major company paid $0 in taxes and get all outraged, what does that exactly mean?

For example, Exxon/Mobil is a publicly traded company, right? Their profits go to their shareholders, who (at least in theory) pay capital gains/income taxes on those profits, right?

So they are paying taxes because their shareholders, who are essentially "owners" of the company, are paying taxes on their profits.

I'm just curious if there's another level to this, or if people just have a gross misunderstanding of how businesses work (or conversely, if I have a gross misunderstanding.)

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I have one tooth that's becoming darker than the rest of my teeth. I drink a whoooole lot of tap water; is it possible that I'm getting too much fluoride? It doesn't look anywhere near as horrifying as the GIS results for "dental fluorosis", but it's a good shade darker than every other tooth.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

RaoulDuke12 posted:

So when people complain about how some major company paid $0 in taxes and get all outraged, what does that exactly mean?

For example, Exxon/Mobil is a publicly traded company, right? Their profits go to their shareholders, who (at least in theory) pay capital gains/income taxes on those profits, right?

So they are paying taxes because their shareholders, who are essentially "owners" of the company, are paying taxes on their profits.

I'm just curious if there's another level to this, or if people just have a gross misunderstanding of how businesses work (or conversely, if I have a gross misunderstanding.)

A corporation pays taxes on their profits like you do on your income from being employed. So GE last year got enough kick backs and tax breaks to pay $0 in taxes on their profits. This would be like you getting all of your withholding back (assuming you should pay taxes) but several billion more then you make.

Yes the shareholders of a corporation are paying capital gains taxes on dividends but that's not what people bitch about.

EDIT: Chachu, your tooth probably has a cavity and is dying. Go see a dentist.

gariig fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 15, 2011

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golbez posted:

While trying to do this sporcle quiz, I found myself struggling to remember names like Ben Stiller and Jeff Bridges - names that I know, I've seen them in lots of stuff, I can picture their faces. I tended to get them eventually, but it still concerned me.

I'm the same way with Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men) and that guy from Taxi Driver.

Or sometimes it's the other way around. It varies, but always loving annoying! I could look him up, but that would be cheating. Better to realize the answer in a few hours and feel stupid. Although that hasn't helped the problem yet :sigh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chachu posted:

I have one tooth that's becoming darker than the rest of my teeth. I drink a whoooole lot of tap water; is it possible that I'm getting too much fluoride? It doesn't look anywhere near as horrifying as the GIS results for "dental fluorosis", but it's a good shade darker than every other tooth.

The root of your tooth is dying and it's not the cavity-preventing fluoride doing it.

See a dentist.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sometimes when I am playing team fortress and I'm panning around with my mouse, it will suddenly snap to a completely different direction, usually straight down. By the time I get my bearings again, I have usually been killed. What's causing this? I have a regular no-frills optical mouse from a Dell system I bought years ago and a cheap mouse pad that I think I got free from the water company or something. I've never noticed my mouse cursor suddenly jumping to a different location when I'm at the desktop. I can't say for sure if it happens in any other games; I mostly play tf2 (badly).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

brylcreem posted:

I'm the same way with Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men) and that guy from Taxi Driver.

Or sometimes it's the other way around. It varies, but always loving annoying! I could look him up, but that would be cheating. Better to realize the answer in a few hours and feel stupid. Although that hasn't helped the problem yet :sigh:

Look them up, stare at their faces, and say "THIS IS [name]" three times. Stare.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

stubblyhead posted:

Sometimes when I am playing team fortress and I'm panning around with my mouse, it will suddenly snap to a completely different direction, usually straight down. By the time I get my bearings again, I have usually been killed. What's causing this? I have a regular no-frills optical mouse from a Dell system I bought years ago and a cheap mouse pad that I think I got free from the water company or something. I've never noticed my mouse cursor suddenly jumping to a different location when I'm at the desktop. I can't say for sure if it happens in any other games; I mostly play tf2 (badly).

This exact same thing was happening to me in the exact same game, your mouse is dying and it's only going to get worse until it shits itself.

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

Is there a feature or a program for Windows 7 that will make it so when I'm moving/resizing windows they don't leave the monitor bounds?
Aero snap doesn't seem incredibly useful, and I constantly find myself fiddling with newly opened windows that are partially outside my monitor or old windows that have moved somehow.

VV They used the Olsen twins in Full House so they could film the scenes without breaking any labour laws. Apparently it's fairly common to use twin children in other shows as well. VV

ipokesnails fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 17, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why is it that children can regularly act/perform in television shows and movies without it being considered child labor?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There are usually strict regulations surrounding it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_actor#California

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

MalConstant posted:

What's the best deodorant/anti-antiperspirant to use that best prevents against pit stains? I've tried a few different ones like Old Spice, Sure and Degree, but they only help a little bit against the sweat and stains.

Antiperspirant is what causes pit stains, not sweat (assuming you're talking about actual stains and not just wet spots). The best way to prevent them is to make sure your armpits are completely dry from your deodorant/antiperspirant before you put your shirt on, and don't use too much.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure if this is the best thread but it's a start...

My bachelor weekend is coming up. It's more or less all expenses paid, but drinking will be involved and I thought it would be a nice gesture if I got a bottle of something special, good, or at the very least, fancy and opulent for the sake of an appreciative gesture.

I need to find it easily given I have to have it in-hand Friday midday.

Ideally a Vodka.. Under 100 bucks (or around there...)

Bevmo's most expensive Vodka was a 69 dollar bottle of Chopin. I've had Chopin, it's ok. It's not carrying the celebratory cachet I'd like, though.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

b0nes posted:

Does insulin need to be re-refrigerated after you open it? I know if you have them unopened they are supposed to stay cold, you warm up the bottles with your hand when you are ready to use them. after you open it are you supposed to refrigerate it?

You don't need to, but this is because the assumption is that once opened, you are going to use it within a short period of time. Also, it depends on what sort of insulin it is.

Table of how long you can keep the various sorts at room temperature.

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/rl_dsl/publications/GudStrgInsulin.pdf

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

Not so much 'get better at trivia', it was just weird that I could picture these faces but I could not somehow remember their names, at least not without some strain ("J... d... I know it's J d... jim d.. ja.. JOHNNY DEPP!") or use of a mnemonic (for some reason I mentally have this joke about a particular actor having a Huge Ackman). It just felt weird that I could picture them but not have instant recall of their names.
I think the main thing is to just chill and realize there's some poo poo you don't care enough to remember. If it starts happening that you can't remember important stuff, then it's time to worry. As it is, it's just useless poo poo that doesn't actually impact your life.

SuperS
Oct 28, 2007
i'm not that super, really
Is there a way to find out what the original Buy It Now price of an eBay item was, before any seller revisions?

Soon after I asked a general question about the item, the seller increased the price by at least $30. It's not available on Google cache. eBay's seller revision summary page tells me the seller changed the Buy It Now Price, Description and Quantity

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Feenix posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread but it's a start...

My bachelor weekend is coming up. It's more or less all expenses paid, but drinking will be involved and I thought it would be a nice gesture if I got a bottle of something special, good, or at the very least, fancy and opulent for the sake of an appreciative gesture.

I need to find it easily given I have to have it in-hand Friday midday.

Ideally a Vodka.. Under 100 bucks (or around there...)

Bevmo's most expensive Vodka was a 69 dollar bottle of Chopin. I've had Chopin, it's ok. It's not carrying the celebratory cachet I'd like, though.

You're probably stuck with either Grey Goose or Chopin if you're looking for top shelf vodkas. Personally, I'd take Ketel One over either of them, but that's just me. Vodka is not like scotch where you have a good variety of top-end selection.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok, what about Tequila? Anything special? Doesn't have to be the best ever, just something people don't drink much...or ever. :)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

After a massive computer catastrophe I'm beginning anew, and have forgotten some of the software choices I had made previously. Can anyone recommend a good ad-blocker for firefox?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

TequilaJesus posted:

After a massive computer catastrophe I'm beginning anew, and have forgotten some of the software choices I had made previously. Can anyone recommend a good ad-blocker for firefox?

Adblock plus

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

This exact same thing was happening to me in the exact same game, your mouse is dying and it's only going to get worse until it shits itself.

Well it's been good to me for the past 8-9 years, but I'm not especially attached to it. What did you replace yours with? Is a basic optical mouse good enough or should I spend a little more for a gaming mouse? I'm not a really serious gamer or anything, just play a bit now and then.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

stubblyhead posted:

Well it's been good to me for the past 8-9 years, but I'm not especially attached to it. What did you replace yours with? Is a basic optical mouse good enough or should I spend a little more for a gaming mouse? I'm not a really serious gamer or anything, just play a bit now and then.

I actually didn't replace it with anything since I'm on a laptop and just resigned myself to the touchpad, but good mice are pretty cheap now anyways.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Feenix posted:

Ok, what about Tequila? Anything special? Doesn't have to be the best ever, just something people don't drink much...or ever. :)

I'm not personally a huge tequila fan, but my best friend is obsessed with it. As such, I've sampled quite a few good ones.

Anejos: I'd go with Don Julio 1942 or Don Julio Extra Anejo.

Reposados: Tezon or Dona Carlota.

Blanco: Milagro Romance.

If you can't find any of these (it really depends on quality liquor stores), look for Cabo Wabo, Patron, or Don Julio. They're going to be in the $50 range.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Feenix posted:

I like Corzo Anejo myself. So smooth my wife can sip it straight, no ice. And the bottle is pretty sweet too.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tarepanda posted:

Look them up, stare at their faces, and say "THIS IS [name]" three times. Stare.

:stare: All right, I'll try that. Cheers!

e: It's Robert DeNiro, I got him at 4am ...

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

brylcreem posted:

:stare: All right, I'll try that. Cheers!

e: It's Robert DeNiro, I got him at 4am ...

I can never remember his name either. I tend to get to Danny DeVito, knowing it's something vaguely similar, and then get completely stuck.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Female coworker is leaving DC for Colorado via a moving road trip with her mother.

What's a good gift idea to keep her sane in the car? She's an intelligent, mid-20's professional and this is not to be construed as a romantic gift. Barring that, I'll just get her a "Farewell" card and maybe a gas gift card.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

TequilaJesus posted:

If you haven't already re-installed all your software, might I recommend ninite.com. It's collectively saved me hours upon hours of work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Aphasian posted:

Female coworker is leaving DC for Colorado via a moving road trip with her mother.

What's a good gift idea to keep her sane in the car? She's an intelligent, mid-20's professional and this is not to be construed as a romantic gift. Barring that, I'll just get her a "Farewell" card and maybe a gas gift card.

Assuming she's not going to, you know, enjoy talking to her mother, you could get her a book she'd like.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Aphasian posted:

I assure you there is nothing romantic at all about a set of 8x10 glossies of your junk.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

haveblue posted:

Assuming she's not going to, you know, enjoy talking to her mother, you could get her a book she'd like.

Books on CD are great and can be loaded onto ipods if her car doesn't do CD's

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

The Aphasian posted:

Gas gift cards are tricky as the service stations vary from state-to-state. I'd go with a kickass travel mug and a 6 pack of 5 hour energies.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeffrey Colon posted:

If you haven't already re-installed all your software, might I recommend ninite.com. It's collectively saved me hours upon hours of work.

I love ninite, but I really wish it'd let you at least change where things get installed.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
How would I go about commissioning art for something like an album?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I just got a new pillowtop thing that slips on like a bedsheet under my regular sheets, except I've noticed most mornings it usually slips out taking my sheets with it. Any trick to get it to stop doing that?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Knightmare posted:

I just got a new pillowtop thing that slips on like a bedsheet under my regular sheets, except I've noticed most mornings it usually slips out taking my sheets with it. Any trick to get it to stop doing that?

Elastic? I don't know where you'd get it, probably dress making shops or craft places. You'll want two strips a few inches longer than the 2*(width + depth) of your mattress which you can sew into two seperate loops. Wrap them around your mattress and pillow top at each end of your bed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

gwar3k1 posted:

Elastic? I don't know where you'd get it, probably dress making shops or craft places. You'll want two strips a few inches longer than the 2*(width + depth) of your mattress which you can sew into two seperate loops. Wrap them around your mattress and pillow top at each end of your bed.

Go to Goodwill and buy some old suspenders.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Knightmare posted:

You want sheet clips (goes by some other names too)
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sheet+clips

You can usually find these at pretty much any regular retail store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Knightmare posted:

I'm here to tell you that mattress covers or pads that don't have elasticized corners precisely to prevent them from doing this are the spawn of Satan. Get rid of the one you have, go down to Wal-mart, and get one that is elasticized. Or, if someone gave it to you, or for other unspecified reasons you can't dump it, go down to Wal-Mart, get a packet of elastic (they sell it in the Crafts section, by the bolts of fabric), and sew strips of elastic catty-corner on the underside across at least 2 of the mattress cover corners to hold it on the bed.

Frankly, it's just easier to buy a new one.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quiet-Comfort-Waterproof-Mattress-Pad/7811155