Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Jakabite posted:

I thought Gregor had been lying on his back at this time, then Oberyn came too close, Gregor grabbed him, pulled him to the floor and GREGORSMASHED him.

Didn't Gregor have a spear pinning him to the ground, or am I remembering this wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ImJasonH posted:

Calling it: Ser Robert Strong vs. Thoros of Myr

"FRANKENGREGOR HATE FIRE! FIRE BAD!!" then he just kind of flips out and kills ten bystanders and loses the fight.

A priest of R'hllor isn't going to be the champion for the seven in a trial by combat.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

pseudorandom name posted:

A priest of R'hllor isn't going to be the champion for the seven in a trial by combat.

Well it would certainly be a twist, wouldn't it.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Any chance Varys is a Faceless Man (or was trained by them at some point?) I see parallels between his little "birds" and the way Arya brings gossip back to the kindly man. Varys is a master of disguises. However, his agenda does not seem to match up correctly to the ideology of the Faceless Men.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Maybe Varys and Syrio are the same person :aaaaa:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flowinprose posted:

Any chance Varys is a Faceless Man (or was trained by them at some point?) I see parallels between his little "birds" and the way Arya brings gossip back to the kindly man. Varys is a master of disguises. However, his agenda does not seem to match up correctly to the ideology of the Faceless Men.

He's a master of disguise because he was a Mummer, and while you could argue that Varys is 'serving the realm' by letting people embrace the Many Faced God, it seems to contradict the idea that Faceless Men don't judge whether someone is worthy of joining the God or not.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
From what I recall of the scene, Gregor was prone because the poison from the many minor cuts Oberyn had inflicted was taking its toll. Oberyn got overly emotional and put himself in a position where Gregor grabbed him by the head and smashed his face on his own helm. Since Oberyn didn't wear plate armor, his head was unguarded and basically drove splinters of facebone into his skull and brain.

It's been a while though, so I could be very mistaken.

Temoid
Nov 28, 2005
Anatomy of Atmospheric Aerosols
Gregor had a few wounds and was all tired out. Oberyn charged him with his spear, pierced through his plate, pinning Gregor to the ground and vaulting over him in the process. Oberyn then took up Gregors sword and got really close to maybe wring a confession out of him, but The Mountain grabbed him by the leg and crushed him with his fists of lobstered steel.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Yeah pretty much what Temoid said. Gregor grabs him by the knee, dragging him down on top of him. Then he wraps one arm around him to hold him against his body. He then pushes his fingers into Oberyn's eyes, then punches him in the teeth.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm looking forward to seeing Oberyn pole vaulting over Gregor on the show.

e; I'm also looking forward to seeing how graphic they'll make Oberyn's death.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Hedrigall posted:

I only read book 3 in April and book 4 in June, but I think I enjoyed reading ADWD the most (maybe because I had the least spoiled; seriously, I knew almost everything going into book 3 and 4 because of goons). In order I'd say ADWD is my favourite, then ASOS, then ACOK, then AGOT, then AFFC (which is still good, but loving Cersei made it a massive drag).

ADWD had a lot of amazing stuff going for it. Asha's chapters were incredible, probably the best in the book. It was great to go back to Winterfell again and see all the hosed up stuff with Theon. I loved ALL of Tyrion's stuff: I think this is where GRRM's world building skills shone through the most. Not only did we find out more about the free cities, we also got a tour of that area of the world with tons of background details. As for the other main POVs, Jon's stuff was interesting to me, especially when he was dealing with the wildlings; and even Dany's stuff I enjoyed, unlike most goons. All the new POVs were great too. Jon Connington/Aegon was my favourite new element to the book. Overall it was just a goddamn great book, way way better than AFFC in almost every way.

Are you GRRM or his editor?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Kainser posted:

Maybe Varys and Syrio are the same person :aaaaa:

By now I don't believe that anyone killed offscreen is actually dead, therefore I would not be surprised if Syrio returns at some point as some ridiculus deus ex machina.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
There's absolutely no way that Syrio can come back. When Arya see him last, his weapon gets destroyed and the knight is in full armor.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Argali posted:

By now I don't believe that anyone killed offscreen is actually dead, therefore I would not be surprised if Syrio returns at some point as some ridiculus deus ex machina.
We never did see King Robert dying. . . :tinfoil:

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

Kainser posted:

Or Lyanna, or any Targaryen except Viserys. :tinfoil:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://louie.bigcartel.com/

This is an ad on SA banners here. This guy is selling ASOIAF art. Isn't that kind of illegal to some degree? Not that I really care that GRRM won't get all his money to travel the world and go to conventions while consuming half the state's food surplus while an artist can't make some of that money or anything.

Edit: The actual banner:

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 16, 2011

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Jon Snow is the bastard son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. And Jon Connington.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

flowinprose posted:

Varys is more like Gene Parmesan.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ImJasonH posted:

Theon is a better Faceless Man than Arya ever will be.

He's so good at assassinating people even he doesn't know who killed them.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

He's so good at assassinating people even he doesn't know who killed them.

Theon didn't kill those people. Tyler Durden did it. They are not the same person ... OR ARE THEY?

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
So who wants to take bets as to what seemingly important thing in DWD will turn into the biggest nothing in the next book (i.e. Arya is blind!):

- Robert Strong
- The Letter
- Jon's death
- Brienne taking Jaime
... and other stuff.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances

Kainser posted:

And is it a coincidence that it's Robert Strong? Maybe it's not Gregor after all!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

roop posted:

And is it a coincidence that it's Robert Strong? Maybe it's not Gregor after all!

I guess we know who's head it is then.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Can someone explain why that one lady was so hostile to the Starks? This is the lady who wanted Theon to take her into the stark crypt then she bitched about Brandon for a while before saying that she was going to feed Ned's bones to her dogs. I didn't really get why she was so hostile.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

roop posted:

So who wants to take bets as to what seemingly important thing in DWD will turn into the biggest nothing in the next book (i.e. Arya is blind!):

- Robert Strong
- The Letter
- Jon's death
- Brienne taking Jaime
... and other stuff.

Jon's death. He didn't even die. The wildlings defended him after the got stabbed and he's healing in a room somewhere.

SharpyShuffle
Aug 20, 2007

I think Robert Strong will be a letdown, though I dearly dearly hope that Lady Nym shows up to take her council seat, sees an 8-foot dude who refuses to reveal his face, freaks the gently caress out at such obvious bullshit and we get The Red Viper('s daughter) v (Zombie) Gregor.

It is funny how in the epilogue everyone seems at least half aware what Robert Strong is, but nobody does anything because, hey, zombies are cool I guess.

VaultAggie posted:

Can someone explain why that one lady was so hostile to the Starks? This is the lady who wanted Theon to take her into the stark crypt then she bitched about Brandon for a while before saying that she was going to feed Ned's bones to her dogs. I didn't really get why she was so hostile.

Her husband died fighting for Ned back in the rebellion days irrc.

Also because grrms 'worldbuilding' has now moved up to the minor lords and ladies (see also: those dudes Jaime settled a dispute between) we need to feel their plight too, we must understand the pain felt by everyone in Westeros before grrm cleanses it with purifying Dragonfire.

SharpyShuffle fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 16, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

SharpyShuffle posted:

It is funny how in the epilogue everyone seems at least half aware what Robert Strong is, but nobody does anything because, hey, zombies are cool I guess.

I thought it was more that nobody wanted it to be true that Qyburn reanimated a dead person, even though it's super obvious.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

roop posted:

- Robert Strong
- The Letter
- Jon's death
- Brienne taking Jaime
... and other stuff.

I mean...I never got the impression that Arya's blindness was going to be a big thing, so I'm going with Jon's death because that likewise has been foreshadowed to likely be shortlived.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

VaultAggie posted:

She really, really wanted to be a Stark. She was loving Brandon Stark for a while, and then he got married to Catelyn. She figured she'd settle for Ned, but then Brandon got killed, and Catelyn took Ned, too.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Vivek posted:

I'm never going to be able to look at Varys the same way again. Now I want him to reveal himself to Cersei and her scream and clap.

Then Lancel does a chicken dance.

Content: I actually enjoyed Dance more than I expected. It was better than Feast, for sure. I don't think it was worth the wait...but it wasn't terrible. I still hate Daenaerys and hopes she gets eaten by a dragon. I was also dissapointed by a lack of pizza grease. I figured they'd have a tub of it at the end of the printing line to give it that personal feel.

EDIT: Are we still allowed to write crossover Fanfic? Because I feel a terrible one forming...

VVV And now this? It has to happen.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 16, 2011

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Vivek posted:

All I can think of is Jaime with a claw hand screaming "I'm a monster!" And I can't stop laughing.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Preechr posted:

She really, really wanted to be a Stark. She was loving Brandon Stark for a while, and then he got married to Catelyn. She figured she'd settle for Ned, but then Brandon got killed, and Catelyn took Ned, too.

Oh, I see. So she's just bitter that she couldn't be a Stark?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Maarak posted:

Jaime fights it first as Cersei's champion, knocks it's helmet off, but loses to the undead giant. With "Strong"'s identity made blatant, Sandor comes out of hiding to put down his brother once and for all.

I imagine this like a video game boss scene - before you can hurt Ser Strong, you must knock his helmet off.

Dirtyhat
Mar 29, 2005

You got moxie, kid.

VaultAggie posted:

Oh, I see. So she's just bitter that she couldn't be a Stark?

I'm pretty sure she used those exact words

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Preechr posted:

Well there's that, and then her husband and sons were killed on various occasions the Starks called their banners. lovely luck for her I guess but I don't know why she thinks it would have been any different with Bolton in charge.

Plus it makes another piece on the board, so to speak. She'll pop up in a few chapters and have her men at arms detain/kill someone at a pivotal moment because no one will be expecting it, etc.

I really like theories that Theon is blacking out and killing people, but it sort of undermines his redemption arc. I think GRRM is writing him as fairly powerless and weak so that when he does eventually escape with Jeyne Poole his courage is all the more meaningful being that pretty much any man could beat him in a fight at this point. Now, stabbing people in the back doesn't take much in the way of combat prowess, but it would undermine that powerlessness characterization. So for the moment I'm gonna guess there's yet another shoe waiting to drop in Winterfell.

You know, it's funny, one of the things that most bummed me out was reading the passage where Theon sees the greenhouses are destroyed. I mean that glass didn't come cheap and you know they won't be able to just order more from Myr or wherever on a moment's notice. It really drove home that Winterfell was more ruin than keep at this point in the story.

But I also was really torn up over Pretty and Crunch dying. I am sentimental towards animals like that.

SharpyShuffle
Aug 20, 2007

Theon's lack of power and courage is nothing to do with his ability in a fight though. It's not like he was ever portrayed as good with anything other than a bow. His betraying Ramsey and reclaiming his identity is the greatest display of courage in any of the books, regardless of whether or not he stabbed/could stab a few dudes.

Remember early on when they send him to treat with the Greyjoy forces and he's warned that he's welcome to keep riding south, but that Ramsey will surely find and kill him if he does? And how Theon just meekly (hurr) accepts that as an inevitable truth, even though it's clearly nothing of the sort? It's that broken attitude that made him powerless, and overcoming it that provides redemption and shows bravery.

And despite what Ramsey did to his body, his powerlessness is all in the head: if he did kill those guys then it just shows him as being even more powerless: sure his hand can still hold a dagger, but he's not even aware of his own actions anymore.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Well, Theon could have ridden south, but then he would have ended up in the middle of Roose's forces which wouldn't have been much of an improvement :v:

Theon's chapters were amazing. "My name is Theon. You have to know your name." :unsmith:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Preechr posted:

I didn't think Brandon and Catelyn were ever actually married, just betrothed. Sounds like she got the better end of the deal, anyway, since Brandon sounded like a bit of a dick.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 16, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
All the extra bodies in Winterfell just goes to show that the coalition is failing. Manderly is surely having some killed, Mance and his girls were out killing too and I bet even Ramsay snuck out every now and then to kill someone because he is really psycho. Theon probably didn't do poo poo.

ImJasonH posted:

Or Lyanna, or any Targaryen except Viserys. :tinfoil:

How do we even know viserys is dead?? I mean Daenarys can survive dragonsfire, I bet Viserys can survive some molten gold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
And it even seems plausible that she could have married Brandon if his dad hadn't made a powerplay for the south. The Starks should never, ever leave the north.