Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Maxwell Lord posted:

One question relating to test screenings- have rights issues ever arisen with regards to the temp score? Do filmmakers have to limit themselves to stuff the studio already has clearance for, or do they just take some of the temp tracks out before showing it to anyone?

Temp scores can be whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The famous case in point would probably be 2001, where the temp score became the real score, much to the aggravation of Alex North.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NeuroticErotica posted:

Temp scores can be whatever you want.

But test screenings still have some of the temp tracks, right? I'm curious as to whether that would legally be considered performance (and thus potentially a problem), or if nobody actually cares.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The famous case in point would probably be 2001, where the temp score became the real score, much to the aggravation of Alex North.

In the rough cut of Apocalypse Now, he uses the Otis Redding version of "Satisfaction" in that waterskiing scene. It kinda rules.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Maxwell Lord posted:

But test screenings still have some of the temp tracks, right? I'm curious as to whether that would legally be considered performance (and thus potentially a problem), or if nobody actually cares.

Generally they'll do something they own because it's just laying around - but a test screening is practically private - it's the studio renting out a theater, it's them picking certain people to go in...

By the letter of the law it's probably illegal, but they'd basically need somebody who knew the music wasn't licensed for this screening to somehow make it into the screening (technically you're not supposed to work in entertainment to attend a test screening but... um... I know a guy... you don't know him... who lied once) and then call them out... then it'd be really hard to prove, and the costs on moving on the complaint would greatly exceed the $250 they'd get for a one off screening.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Why are the credits to One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest listed in alphabetical order?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

csidle posted:

Why are the credits to One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest listed in alphabetical order?

I think movies- especially ones with large ensemble casts- do this sometimes to avoid contractual disputes over billing order. Nobody's listed as more important than anyone else, so that's one headache avoided.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

csidle posted:

It is a practice that probably falls somewhere between rare and uncommon.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Voodoofly posted:

It is a practice that probably falls somewhere between rare and uncommon.

I've noticed it occasionally.

I just watched In Bruges and they did that too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Woody Allen does that for all of his movies I think. At least the ones with his iconic opening titles.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think movies- especially ones with large ensemble casts- do this sometimes to avoid contractual disputes over billing order. Nobody's listed as more important than anyone else, so that's one headache avoided.

No one more important than Alan Alda, that is.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I just saw "Rubber." What the hell did I watch? Was this some elaborate commentary on movie making or was it a movie about nothing.

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME

Sizzlechest posted:

I just saw "Rubber." What the hell did I watch? Was this some elaborate commentary on movie making or was it a movie about nothing.
Man I hated that piece of poo poo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Rubber was like one of those animated gifs that seems to loop over and over and over, and the animation was the movie continually going up its own rear end.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sizzlechest posted:

I couldn't get through it, I am convinced that all the positive buzz is an elaborate group-troll.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Origami Dali posted:

I know tons of films go through the test audience routine, and that changes can be and usually are made to films (sometimes against the wishes of writer/directors) if audience reaction at test screenings is negative. Are there any known cases of criticism from test audiences actually improving a movie?

Deep Blue Sea immediately comes to mind.

volumecontrol
Mar 16, 2007
Do movie studios which are part of media conglomerates have to pay for the advertising on their own networks? When Rise of the Planet of the Apes was being promoted the last few weeks, they had ads all over FOX, FX, FOX News, etc. Does 20th Century Fox pay these stations ad revenue, or what? Same goes for Viacom when promoting films on their own channels, MTV, CBS, etc.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I just watched Rubber this week too. It was basically a brilliant 40 minute short film that some idiot ruined by adding 40 minutes of pretentious metafiction.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

volumecontrol posted:

Do movie studios which are part of media conglomerates have to pay for the advertising on their own networks? When Rise of the Planet of the Apes was being promoted the last few weeks, they had ads all over FOX, FX, FOX News, etc. Does 20th Century Fox pay these stations ad revenue, or what? Same goes for Viacom when promoting films on their own channels, MTV, CBS, etc.

Do they have to? No, they could probably work something out so that they don't pay for it, but the TV networks are probably part of a different part of the company than the movie divisions, so they shift revenue from one division to another for accounting purposes, and so that their TV network isn't giving away 'free' advertising (I mean advertising time on TV costs money so if they are just showing ads for FOX movies for free they are missing out on theoretical revenue they could have gained by selling that ad time to another product).

Basically its more complicated than 'fox movies get free advertising on fox TV'

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

volumecontrol posted:

I'm going to guess yes because corporations have departments pay one another for things all the time. A simple example is that sometimes (depending on how uptight your company is) you may see one person who works in one department working on a project in another department, and on his timecard he will bill against the other department, not his "home" department. It's probably the same way with much much larger things like ad buys. However, I would bet that they have preferential deals within the larger corporate entity, that's kind of one of the points of having cross-platform companies held within one larger corporation.

I do have to say that I'm speculating a bit here from my own experiences in the corporate world, I don't accept ad buys for my local fox affiliate or anything.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

volumecontrol posted:

Very short answer: yes, because technically each of those sibling companies is a separate legal entity, and there are many, many, many legal issues that arise when you don't treat each of them as being separate and distinct.

However, there are many, many ways in which these companies legally give breaks to one another.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
A famous example of a lawsuit based on this kind of corporate nepotism:
http://www.x-files.gr/edavid.htm

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

volumecontrol posted:

When I'm working in a cutting room on a studio lot, my production is paying rent for that room to the "facilities" division of the same company (Paramount, e.g.) that I'm working for. My Avid (editing system) might also be rented from another division of the same corporation. It's all part of the very elaborate "Hollywood accounting" system of moving money around and hiding true income and profits.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Who narrated the opening of Drive Angry - William Fichtner? I can't find anything on IMDB and my Google-fu is weak.

On a similar note - what was the first movie that did the cliched "guy walking away from an explosion in the background" shot?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Encryptic posted:

On a similar note - what was the first movie that did the cliched "guy walking away from an explosion in the background" shot?

Funnily enough, director Edgar Wright tweeted about this exact same thing the other day and provided a possible answer:

Edgar Wright posted:

Okay. Here's what i believe to be the first calmy-walking-away-from-explosion shot in 74's "99 and 44/100% Dead" (1.20) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inUy5D0LSUQ

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Five Cent Deposit posted:

It's all part of the very elaborate "Hollywood accounting" system of moving money around and hiding true income and profits.

Not to defend accounting in Hollywood, but this isn't true. Every corporation does this, and every industry has a few (or more than a few) people guilty to some extent of using this system to shift profits for legitimate and illegitimate reasons.

For instance, when I was practicing law as a sole practitioner, I rented my guest bedroom to my legal practice as an office for the tax deductions and to otherwise keep my legal practice's assets separate from my own assets for liability issues. I paid it from my legal practice bank account to my personal bank account. This is just a tip of all of the separate and duplicate things I had for, and exchanged between, Me and Me, Esq.

There is no doubt that the system of maintaining corporate separateness is extremely useful if you want to gently caress people over by hiding profits/losses, but the system itself is often required by law for most entities.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Using that system they claimed that Harry Potter lost money. Some of the top earning movies ever. Also a lot of people have gotten paid nothing at all since they chose a certain type of percentage.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Voodoofly posted:

Not to defend accounting in Hollywood, but this isn't true. Every corporation does this, and every industry has a few (or more than a few) people guilty to some extent of using this system to shift profits for legitimate and illegitimate reasons.

For instance, when I was practicing law as a sole practitioner, I rented my guest bedroom to my legal practice as an office for the tax deductions and to otherwise keep my legal practice's assets separate from my own assets for liability issues. I paid it from my legal practice bank account to my personal bank account. This is just a tip of all of the separate and duplicate things I had for, and exchanged between, Me and Me, Esq.

There is no doubt that the system of maintaining corporate separateness is extremely useful if you want to gently caress people over by hiding profits/losses, but the system itself is often required by law for most entities.

What's not true? You've contradicted yourself pretty nicely with your first and second sentences. I can assure you that Hollywood accounting is real - everyone who works in the business would back me up on this - and your own assertion is that "every corporation" and "every industry" has people "guilty" of shifting profits around. So what are you disagreeing with?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't speak for VF, obviously, but generally this is a pretty normal way to do accounting for large corporations (or even individuals, as you see). If they gave away advertisement for free, the TV branch would be missing a lot of revenue (opportunity cost), and the movie itself would look more profitable than it really was for the company, since this expense wouldn't be accounted for. My department pays rent to the facilities for the real estate and service they provide us, so that's not just Hollywood.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
I know it isn't unique to the movie studios - never claimed it was. That's why I take issue with his first statement that "it isn't true." Maybe I was just feeling pissy?! Felt like he was opening his post by trying to contradict me. Whatever, I can be cantankerous about semantics. :)

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
Why is it that sometimes sometimes some actors are listed in the opening trailers differently than others. like it'll be Actor Name, Actor Name, then Actor Name as Character name. is that just to break up the monotony?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Five Cent Deposit posted:

I know it isn't unique to the movie studios - never claimed it was. That's why I take issue with his first statement that "it isn't true." Maybe I was just feeling pissy?! Felt like he was opening his post by trying to contradict me. Whatever, I can be cantankerous about semantics. :)

Didn't mean to try and call you wrong or contradict you, just to clarify to the original answer (which seemed to jump immediately to "it is a nefarious scheme").

To put it simply, this is a common accounting practice that is often required by law. The practice itself is not part of "Hollywood Accounting" and isn't by nature an attempt to gently caress people over.

Does it get used to gently caress people over through various "Hollywood Accounting" schemes? Absolutely. Redirecting profits is the oldest trick in the book for loving over business partners - today I think the most obvious examples are in the sports world (team runs at a loss while the owner's cable company, catering service, parking service and stadium management service are rolling in profits).

I just didn't want the original question (do you pay a related company for advertising) to be answered with "yes because the system is for loving people over" instead of "Yes, and they are (probably) using the system to gently caress people over."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Collector posted:

Why is it that sometimes sometimes some actors are listed in the opening trailers differently than others. like it'll be Actor Name, Actor Name, then Actor Name as Character name. is that just to break up the monotony?

Usually if it's a big deal actor doing a significant but bit part, they'll get that kind of billing.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Usually if it's a big deal actor doing a significant but bit part, they'll get that kind of billing.

See also 'With XX' for big name actors and 'Introducing XX' for new actors with a major part. The wiki article has more information.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Currently seeing Terminator 2 for the first time, I got thinking when the Terminator is revealed in the biker's clothes in the beginning of the movie. It's a slow shot that starts at his boots and pans up to reveal he has all the biker's clothes on, while music plays.

My question is, what movie started the trend with these cool, slow shots revealing characters with music playing accordingly?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

csidle posted:

Currently seeing Terminator 2 for the first time, I got thinking when the Terminator is revealed in the biker's clothes in the beginning of the movie. It's a slow shot that starts at his boots and pans up to reveal he has all the biker's clothes on, while music plays.

My question is, what movie started the trend with these cool, slow shots revealing characters with music playing accordingly?

The shot starting at the feet and panning up is one of James Cameron's trademarks. I think he has it in almost all of his movies. But I'm not sure where it was started originally.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Voodoofly posted:

Didn't mean to try and call you wrong or contradict you, just to clarify to the original answer (which seemed to jump immediately to "it is a nefarious scheme").

To put it simply, this is a common accounting practice that is often required by law. The practice itself is not part of "Hollywood Accounting" and isn't by nature an attempt to gently caress people over.

Does it get used to gently caress people over through various "Hollywood Accounting" schemes? Absolutely. Redirecting profits is the oldest trick in the book for loving over business partners - today I think the most obvious examples are in the sports world (team runs at a loss while the owner's cable company, catering service, parking service and stadium management service are rolling in profits).

I just didn't want the original question (do you pay a related company for advertising) to be answered with "yes because the system is for loving people over" instead of "Yes, and they are (probably) using the system to gently caress people over."

In this case, my immediate impulse wasn't that Fox Tv would give Fox Studios a break, but the other way around: Fox Tv would charge inflated rates for advertising, this would draw more revenue into the Fox group away from other revenue participants, and there might be a backhander paid from Tv back to studios to re-balance the figures to market rates (which would not be reflected in the individual films' accounting). I do not know if this actually happens but after some years of seeing how studios work I would not at all be surprised. The aim of the game is to keep as much revenue in the group and give as little away to third parties. (Let me just check Rupert Murdoch's voicemails to find out - I'll be right back)

So, if it doesn't work that way then Fox Studios and Fox TV would hammer out an agreement at market rates. Those battles can often be fierce, even though they are in the same group.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

csidle posted:

Currently seeing Terminator 2 for the first time...
I wish I could see Terminator 2 for the first time again.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
Maybe a very stupid question. I've watched The Godfather II at least five times and everytime I've finished it I wonder the same thing and then forget to watch out for it the next time: Who ordered the hit on Michael in his family home in the beginning? Do we even get to know for sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Herr R. posted:

Maybe a very stupid question. I've watched The Godfather II at least five times and everytime I've finished it I wonder the same thing and then forget to watch out for it the next time: Who ordered the hit on Michael in his family home in the beginning? Do we even get to know for sure?

It's Johnny Ola on orders from Hyman Roth. The call Fredo gets in the night is cool if you watch it with subtitles on, you can hear Johnny Ola's side of the conversation.