Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, I guess that's what I was talking about a page or so ago. That's the letter :(

I guess we're sticking with Cogeco's new plan since it's basically unlimited for $50 instead of $30 now, and the next higher tiers don't have overage limits so there goes that idea.

I should be more outraged than I am, but with no options I have resigned myself that I'll have to give Cogeco money every month and just like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Does anyone here have experience with the wireless modems Bell is using for its Fibe service? My grandmother recently switched over to take advantage of some bundle deal and the speed of her connection seemed to be all over the place. She didn't have any problems with the old wireless G router she'd had before, but this new thing is sleek and scary looking and only has one antenna. :ohdear:

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone here have experience with the wireless modems Bell is using for its Fibe service? My grandmother recently switched over to take advantage of some bundle deal and the speed of her connection seemed to be all over the place. She didn't have any problems with the old wireless G router she'd had before, but this new thing is sleek and scary looking and only has one antenna. :ohdear:

The new modems should, for the most part, be much better. That said, many modem/router combinations still suck. Furthermore, wireless networking is a total crapshoot and so there could be so many things going wrong now (including the possibility of a bad piece of hardware).

If she connects wirelessly, then one of the possibilities is that the new wireless setup is on a different channel that is more congested. But before fiddling with that, I would check the speeds you get when plugging straight in to the modem/router.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Dark One posted:

... but this new thing is sleek and scary looking and only has one antenna. :ohdear:

:eng101: Most modern routers have no external antennae.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, I guess that's what I was talking about a page or so ago. That's the letter :(

I guess we're sticking with Cogeco's new plan since it's basically unlimited for $50 instead of $30 now, and the next higher tiers don't have overage limits so there goes that idea.

I should be more outraged than I am, but with no options I have resigned myself that I'll have to give Cogeco money every month and just like it.

How were you getting unlimited for $30 (now $50) a month? I used to be on Cogeco and never saw that option.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dudebro posted:

How were you getting unlimited for $30 (now $50) a month? I used to be on Cogeco and never saw that option.

I meant the additional $30 overage. It was $45+30 max overage, and now it's like $49+50 overage for practically unlimited internet. At least unlimited in the sense that they hadn't bothered me when I went over 200gb on my originally 60gb plan. I suspect if I did like a terabyte of data in a month they'd probably take some notice.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I've always wondered, are any goons here on MTS Allstream or SaskTel? Are you happy with it?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:eng101: Most modern routers have no external antennae.

The plural of antenna depends on what definition you are using. The correct term here would be antennas. Antennae are what insects have. :eng101:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's true, you're right. I was so busy playing with Legos that I wasn't concentrating on my spelling.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I always thought that the plural of Lego was still Lego, too. :P

Edit: For example, "Look at all that Lego!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Whoosh.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Whoosh? What the hell does that mean? I don't understand?? :confused:

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Lone Rogue posted:

I've always wondered, are any goons here on MTS Allstream or SaskTel? Are you happy with it?

I used to have MTS high speed in Winnipeg (North Kildonan in case it makes a difference), my wife and I were happy with it particularly for the caller id on the television screen. In regards to the internet connection we had a 5mbit line which was similar to what shaw was offering at the time, performance was a little slower overall but I seemed to get ~10ms lower pings to the west coast on MTS and the speed was steady no matter what time of day it was. The ultimate reason we switched had nothing to do with their service but the fact that shaw has NHL center ice and in a Jets-less environment I required my Montreal/Colorado games.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Squibbles posted:

+$10 for the movie pack so I can get AMC for breaking bad
+$10 for the sports pack so I can watch the canucks

I think you can get HD plus for $16 instead and get all those channels and more.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

blah_blah posted:

I think you can get HD plus for $16 instead and get all those channels and more.

HD plus is what I have right now but that isn't an option on their newer offering as far as I know.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Squibbles posted:

HD plus is what I have right now but that isn't an option on their newer offering as far as I know.

Actually, the 'old' TV packages are still available, so you can get Basic Cable + HD Plus if you want. They're just not listed on the website.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Drakkus posted:

Actually, the 'old' TV packages are still available, so you can get Basic Cable + HD Plus if you want. They're just not listed on the website.

Yeah but I am pretty sure it's more expensive (or not possible) to combine the old packages with 100mbps internet.

edit: looks like you can but, I was paying about $77 before for cable+phone and 100mbps costs $69+tax so the total comes to about $155. Now I'll be paying about $145 after tax so it is slightly cheaper at the expense of some channels I never watched anyway.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 16, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teethgrinder posted:

Whoosh? What the hell does that mean? I don't understand?? :confused:

There is a lot you aren't getting right now. :lol:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The number of question marks leads me to believe that it was intentional.

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.

Lone Rogue posted:

I too use MTS Allstream, and even pay for the higher (noticable) speeds. I can't give you a speedtest as I'm at work at the moment. :/ A couple of months ago my upload jumped to 1.6 mbps from 0.8 without any warning, which was awesome.

A friend of mine lives in Sask and uses Sasktel, and while their billing department is "special", they've always had good speeds.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kachunkachunk posted:

I always thought that the plural of Lego was still Lego, too. :P

Edit: For example, "Look at all that Lego!"
It is Lego for both plural and singular. Dumb people have just caused the expansion of use of "legos".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

cowofwar posted:

It is Lego for both plural and singular. Dumb people have just caused the expansion of use of "legos".

I guess most of society must be pretty dumb from way up on your dork throne as growing up everyone called it legos. Who loving cares.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone on Teksavvy having issues viewing 720p or higher videos on Youtube? For the past few days, when trying to load a video, it's been lagging like all gently caress, and taking about 20-30mins to load a 7min video.

It says that it's loading from o-o.preferred.teksavvy-xcm1.v3.lscache6.c.youtube.com which, when I ping it, shows an average ping time of over 2 seconds.

Every other video host works fine, it just seems to be Youtube and 720p+ having issues.

I checked DSL Reports and it seems that some people are experiencing a similar issue in Western Canada. Seems like Montreal are also having issues :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Migishu posted:

Is anyone on Teksavvy having issues viewing 720p or higher videos on Youtube? For the past few days, when trying to load a video, it's been lagging like all gently caress, and taking about 20-30mins to load a 7min video.

Are you on cable or DSL? Youtube was terrible for me on DSL, but cable is perfect.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I used to have a very similar problem specifically with YouTube and TekSavvy cable in Toronto, when I first switched half a year ago. As well, several online games were unplayable due to packet-loss or huge lag spikes. The consensus here was that there was probably something wrong with YouTube, but all my issues just vanished randomly one day and it's been solid ever since.

Vintersorg posted:

I guess most of society must be pretty dumb from way up on your dork throne as growing up everyone called it legos. Who loving cares.
The joke is the Lego company owns "www.legos.com" as well and used to make you read a patronising spelling correction notice before redirecting you to lego.com. Now it just gives a slightly more polite error before redirecting.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 17, 2011

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Are you on cable or DSL? Youtube was terrible for me on DSL, but cable is perfect.

DSL. It's been fine for me up until this week.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out what's going on. Meant to call them today but hell, I have to wake up in 8hrs for work, and I haven't been sleeping well as of late (hooray insomnia!)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

teethgrinder posted:

I used to have a very similar problem specifically with YouTube and TekSavvy cable in Toronto, when I first switched half a year ago. As well, several online games were unplayable due to packet-loss or huge lag spikes. The consensus here was that there was probably something wrong with YouTube, but all my issues just vanished randomly one day and it's been solid ever since.

The joke is the Lego company owns "www.legos.com" as well and used to make you read a patronising spelling correction notice before redirecting you to lego.com. Now it just gives a slightly more polite error before redirecting.

Oddly enough I get crazy lag spikes in online games. It's intermittent but annoying.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Lag may happen for anything that needs a good upload rate if you are using the Bell or Rogers infrastructure. There's a way around it I hear. As a TekSavvy employee I cannot tell you what might do that, but I'm sure if you googled MLPPP you'd find it. I got no idea what that is though. Nope, not a clue. Doo dee doo...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This brings up a good point. I'm being charge by TekSavvy $4 a month for MLPPP Dynamic IP. I'd like to get a static IP for I can get to newsgroups. I have no interest in bonding two dry loop lines.

Will be WNDR3700 router support an MLPPP log in?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

Aha! :dukedog:

To troubleshoot connection latency (maaaybe loss, but there might be better tools for that), you could run `mtr` (for Linux - Matt's Traceroute) or an equivalent like pingpath, perhaps. You need to see what links are sluggish or problematic, but keep it going for a little bit to see if it's ongoing to sporadic.

Edit: If you find the latency is fine to youtube.com (I dunno if you would easily find out where your video streaming source is, but there are browser plugins that'd aid in doing that), then it probably is an issue with YouTube.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Try changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 as well. I've seen funky dns cause weird loading issues with youtube.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Rogue posted:

Lag may happen for anything that needs a good upload rate if you are using the Bell or Rogers infrastructure. There's a way around it I hear. As a TekSavvy employee I cannot tell you what might do that, but I'm sure if you googled MLPPP you'd find it. I got no idea what that is though. Nope, not a clue. Doo dee doo...

Yeah I'm on Rogers' infrastructure so MLPPP isn't an option. Might have to switch over to DSL if TekSavvy get's unlimited bandwidth options for that ;)

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Nitr0 posted:

Try changing your dns to 8.8.8.8 as well. I've seen funky dns cause weird loading issues with youtube.
Actually yes, this. I pretty much never rely on ISP DNS anymore because of its spottiness. Rogers, Cogeco, Teksavvy, etc.

I'd just go with Google or OpenDNS. If you multi-home with two different ISPs, it's pretty much required anyway.
Edit: Set that at your router/gateway, as your clients are probably using DHCP and would just use your gateway's DNS forwarder (Google/OpenDNS after you configure it) from there.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Bonzo posted:

This brings up a good point. I'm being charge by TekSavvy $4 a month for MLPPP Dynamic IP. I'd like to get a static IP for I can get to newsgroups. I have no interest in bonding two dry loop lines.

Will be WNDR3700 router support an MLPPP log in?

It is on the list of supported routers for OpenWRT/MLPPP yes it wil. Don't let the OpenWRT bit scare you, this port has an easy to use GUI.

As a side note since I just switched to MLPPP today, it may be a good idea to inform customers that their login info will be changed before that info is changed.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Fractal Cat posted:

It is on the list of supported routers for OpenWRT/MLPPP yes it wil. Don't let the OpenWRT bit scare you, this port has an easy to use GUI.

As a side note since I just switched to MLPPP today, it may be a good idea to inform customers that their login info will be changed before that info is changed.

Hmmm ok. Will I still have my original router features? I like having the two wireless bands, USB Support and the ability to set a "guest" network

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll give GoogleDNS a try, but the last time I tried GoogleDNS, I got worse pings than TekSavvy's DNS.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Migishu posted:

I'll give GoogleDNS a try, but the last time I tried GoogleDNS, I got worse pings than TekSavvy's DNS.

There was a good DNS test tool someone posted before, I wish I could remember it. It gives you a list of common DNS and shows you which is fastest for you

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

triplexpac posted:

There was a good DNS test tool someone posted before, I wish I could remember it. It gives you a list of common DNS and shows you which is fastest for you

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

This one right?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got my DNS' mixed up in the previous post. It wasn't TekSavvy DNS, it was OpenDNS, and they were fine for me before.

I tried to use GoogleDNS but they had the same lag issues as OpenDNS.

Example: Previously it was just 720p that was causing problems, but I just tried loading http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frbg732G4ts (from a GBS thread) and even the 320p wasn't loading right

I just switched to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.6 and everything's working wonderfully again. Videos now load in 720p perfectly. Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Bonzo posted:

Hmmm ok. Will I still have my original router features? I like having the two wireless bands, USB Support and the ability to set a "guest" network

I know for sure that it has the option of having "guest networks" via virtual interfaces and it has USB support, but from the OpenWRT Wiki it looks like you might (wich usually means you will) have problems using both radios.