Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Yeah, gotta say that any contact with the goalie should be considered the players fault, so skating across the crease and tripping cause you`re an idiot means it should get no call.

Hell, it should be no call anywhere on the ice, but refs aren`t perfect, so if it was anywhere else, maybe, but that`s still no reason to freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
I'm beginning to think that being sidelined for four months was the best thing that could have happened to my game, because I am on FIRE now. At shinnies, I have been averaging less than two goals a game, which is ridiculous. Yesterday, I played with a full roster mix of A and AA players, and only let in three goals. Three! Thanks to my time off the ice, there are all of these mental and physical hangups that I just plain forgot, and I'm reading plays so much clearer. It's amazing; the last three shinnies, I've come home so pumped that I literally pace around the house for an hour after I get home. It feels so GOOD to not only be playing, but playing without fear of hurting myself again.

Hazed_Red posted:

Also, I'm now firmly in the camp of "no stretching before a game".
I have to say that I've joined this camp. Haven't been stretching pre-game since my injury and I haven't looked back.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'll never be in that camp unless my flexibility magically gets better. I can't get down as low into my stance if I don't stretch, I go down a bit slower, and am more likely to hurt myself during desperation plays.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Went to play tonight and WHOOPS, no helmet. Panic. Got back out to my car and I had a text from the other rink that I left it there yesterday. Didn't get to play tonight, but at least I don't have to spend another $400 on a helmet.

Which reminds me. I need some recommendations on catchers. I have the Vaughn 7450 and I hate it. Can't close the glove the entire way and it just feels too...well...lovely. I'm thinking about going back to my Brian's Beast since I could snap that fucker shut posthaste. The only problem there is that it's such an old glove that it's bigger than what is allowed. I'm sure no one would notice, but I feel like I'm cheating. My all time favorite was my Eagle Infinity. Miss that catcher more than anything. Came home one day and the new dog chewed it up. So much rage.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Went to play tonight and WHOOPS, no helmet. Panic. Got back out to my car and I had a text from the other rink that I left it there yesterday. Didn't get to play tonight, but at least I don't have to spend another $400 on a helmet.

Which reminds me. I need some recommendations on catchers. I have the Vaughn 7450 and I hate it. Can't close the glove the entire way and it just feels too...well...lovely. I'm thinking about going back to my Brian's Beast since I could snap that fucker shut posthaste. The only problem there is that it's such an old glove that it's bigger than what is allowed. I'm sure no one would notice, but I feel like I'm cheating. My all time favorite was my Eagle Infinity. Miss that catcher more than anything. Came home one day and the new dog chewed it up. So much rage.

Out of the gloves that I've tried on recently, I really like the Vaughn 7900 trapper, I was impressed with the Brians Pro Stock Zero G, and the Vaughn Vision seemed nice when I tried it on. As for the 7900 trapper, which is the one I use, it broke in really well and I'm still amazed by how easily it closes. The protection is great, it has a slightly thicker palm than normal, but nothing ridiculous like the Pro Palm or Practice Palm gloves that some people order. I've caught quite a few slappers from the tall dude in the red socks along with some hard shots from some other shooters and I haven't had any stingers or soreness that I can recall. I can also let you try my Brians Zero G trapper if you want, it's really good glove and it will definitely offer more protection than the 7450 you're currently using.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Here is a video of Joey Walnuts from Monday night's open hockey at the Ice Den. The teams were pretty uneven at first, so most of the interesting action ended up happening on the other side.

Here is video of me from the same session. I included the sloppiest backside recovery save from warmups and then after that I only faced like 2 shots in the first 10 minutes. There was a little more action in the later shifts, but the other side was a lot more interesting, since the captain (former?) of ASU's hockey team was making everyone look like fools. I felt like I had some good recoveries to my feet, but I was giving up way too much space on the blocker side and I kept on getting a step ahead of the shooter, when I should have been trying to stay a step or half a step behind them. I also seemed to have some instances where I was lining up on the shooter's body and not the puck, which had some pretty predictable results. I was aggressive about playing the puck, which worked well on one play and then at the end of the video, I got caught too far out of the net and was pretty much screwed.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Those are both the same video.

What do you guys do to keep the camera from getting exploded by a puck?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

nahanahs posted:

Those are both the same video.

What do you guys do to keep the camera from getting exploded by a puck?

I use a GoPro HD, which is a durable camera that comes with an impact resistant lexan case. This should be my video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xythantiops1981?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/vaFOGFF1qWY

Edit: Fixed the link, stupid mobile youtube links.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 6, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a pretty good game this afternoon, we won 10-3 but really it should've been 10-2 or at least 10-1. Their first goal was a decent shot that I didn't read correctly and was in the wrong position.

Their second was my own teammate chipping a puck from behind the net off me and into our net. I still don't really know why he did it but the puck was getting knocked around the left post, I was hugging it and went to grab the puck out of the air. I missed so my teammate then decided he'd try to bat the puck back to me, except who does that and it proceeded to hit my shoulder, and then deflect into the net.

I was slightly pissed but the guy made up for it and scored one or two more goals so it was a wash.

Their final goal came with about .2 seconds left on the clock and I stopped a shot, lost sight of it and then someone on the other team pounced on it. I really need to learn to look around the net when I lose sight of the damned puck because this isn't the first time someone's knocked in a garbage goal that I lost in my pads or around me.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Why must all of my equipment fall apart at the same time? I had to sew a couple straps back on my C/A. My pants are ripped on each side all the way up to my barn hole. The padding in my helmet has come completely out and I lost a screw due to rust last night. Taking donations now.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Why must all of my equipment fall apart at the same time? I had to sew a couple straps back on my C/A. My pants are ripped on each side all the way up to my barn hole. The padding in my helmet has come completely out and I lost a screw due to rust last night. Taking donations now.

Oi vey, do you still have any of the gift certificates to BTM? I'll be at open hockey tonight, hopefully it will still be a good crowd even though they had another skate earlier in the day.

Edit: I have extra pants and a C/A that might fit you if you need a stopgap.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Oi vey, do you still have any of the gift certificates to BTM? I'll be at open hockey tonight, hopefully it will still be a good crowd even though they had another skate earlier in the day.

Edit: I have extra pants and a C/A that might fit you if you need a stopgap.

Pick up was really good this afternoon. 2 goalies and around 18 skaters. The new young kid who was picked up by the Coyotes played with us. Zach something or rather. Incredible skater. If you're playing on Friday, bring that C/A and I'll try it on.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Public service announcement for goalies that play both roller and ice: If you use the same pads for both, please make at least an attempt at washing them when they go between the 2 surfaces. It's really loving gross when I go to take over a crease you've been in and the crease + the surrounding ice is brown.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Oh I plumb forgot to share this. At pick up today there was a guy with White Power tattooed across his stomach as well as small swastikas all over his arms and back. The best part was on the back of his left skate was the number 88 and on the right was 14. He was a big fat fucker too and by far the worst skater out there.

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 11, 2011

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Apparently his white power is pretty weak :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Pick up was really good this afternoon. 2 goalies and around 18 skaters. The new young kid who was picked up by the Coyotes played with us. Zach something or rather. Incredible skater. If you're playing on Friday, bring that C/A and I'll try it on.

Zack Larraza. Dude with the plastic shield right? I won't be able to make it for open hockey on Friday, but if you let me know what time you get to the rink, then I can drop it off. It's a small Vaughn Legacy 6000 C/A, it should fit you, but we'll just need to see whether the C/A is long enough.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Oh I plumb forgot to share this. At pick up today there was a guy with White Power tattooed across his stomach as well as small swastikas all over his arms and back. The best part was on the back of his left skate was the number 88 and on the right was 14. He was a big fat fucker too and by far the worst skater out there.

Classy.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Anyone know a good way to cover up velcro semi-permanently? I bought some compression leggings the other week and the velcro at knee height (opposite side to the knee landing) has started shredding the hell out of them after only two sessions. I tried sticking some tape over the velcro but it doesn't stick properly and falls off either immediately or as soon as I butterfly. Can't really figure out a way to sew a patch of leather or something over the top of the bit that is chafing the pants either.

I've thought about covering it with glue or resin or something but not sure how well that would work, or what glue/resin to use? Anyone got any bright ideas?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're really desperate, the velcro is probably stitched in so you can likely break the stitching to just the velcro without damaging your pad. Breaking stitching is really easy and arguably a good skill to know in equipment repair.

:siren: OF COURSE YMMV :siren:

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

aejix posted:

Anyone know a good way to cover up velcro semi-permanently?

Go to a Michael's, buy a velcro set. Take the mated side you need, cut the square to match the part you want to cover, and apply.

Worked great for me.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

aejix posted:

Anyone know a good way to cover up velcro semi-permanently? I bought some compression leggings the other week and the velcro at knee height (opposite side to the knee landing) has started shredding the hell out of them after only two sessions. I tried sticking some tape over the velcro but it doesn't stick properly and falls off either immediately or as soon as I butterfly. Can't really figure out a way to sew a patch of leather or something over the top of the bit that is chafing the pants either.

I've thought about covering it with glue or resin or something but not sure how well that would work, or what glue/resin to use? Anyone got any bright ideas?

I had the same problem and wrapped my strap in duct tape. It's been on there for about a year now with no wear at all.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I started off my game tonight with a tough 1st period, then something clicked and I started playing really aggressive and was making athletic saves and having strong recoveries. I shut them down in the second and they didn't score again until there were 5 minutes left in the third and my team insisted that wasn't even a goal. At that point we were up 6-5 with 5 minutes left, our captain takes a penalty and we fight off the power play, then with two minutes left, they take a penalty in front of their net, they win the face off and pull their goalie. They go full out, I make a couple saves and then finally gut trap the puck to get a face off. They win the faceoff, get off a quick shot and I butterfly to stop it. The rebound bounces out to the high slot, I try to butterfly slide and end up in the splits, but somehow stop the second shot and send the puck out of our zone. My team then clears the puck twice to win it. Really nuts game, but it was fun to comeback and win a close game.

I also nearly started a fight in the first period. There was a guy standing in front of the crease, so I pushed him hard with trapper and he glided about 5 feet out of the way. He was convinced that it was my teammate that pushed him, so he started yelling at my teammate and the refs and nearly got thrown out of the game.

I'm also playing twice tomorrow. I had already agreed to fill in at a skills session at the Ice Den on Sunday night and then I got a call to play at Churchill tomorrow, so I'll have about two hours to recover between the two skates tomorrow.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 14, 2011

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Thanks guys - the duct tape wrapping sounds like the go.

Kind of weirded me out when I was trying to tape it up after practice this morning and the first thing I thought of was "Marty will know what to do! :science:"

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Let's all be sure to ask Aniki who scored on him this afternoon. :q:

*edit* Alright, maybe not from a shot, but a deflection. And I wasn't skating out. Go finger that one out.

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 15, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aejix posted:

the first thing I thought of was "Marty will know what to do! :science:"

My pads are like 90% duct tape at this point. If there's something to be hacked on goalie pads chances are that I've done it. With tape.

I'd feel worse about having ghetto looking pads, except that they make duct tape in so many colours now that I've managed to blend most of it pretty well. Also I realized that I don't really give a gently caress what they look like as long as I stop pucks :q:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Let's all be sure to ask Aniki who scored on him this afternoon. :q:

*edit* Alright, maybe not from a shot, but a deflection. And I wasn't skating out. Go finger that one out.

I'll need to review the goal cam on that one. I also shut your team out for the first 45 minutes today. :) I'll post the video later tonight, but I'm hungry as hell after doing both Churchill and Brad Perry's skill session tonight. He did his patented stick handling trick at the end of practice, which was pretty drat cool.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I'll need to review the goal cam on that one. I also shut your team out for the first 45 minutes today. :) I'll post the video later tonight, but I'm hungry as hell after doing both Churchill and Brad Perry's skill session tonight. He did his patented stick handling trick at the end of practice, which was pretty drat cool.

You call Toronto. I dare you. I DARE YOU! And it was closer to 55 minutes. I think they finally got a goal on you with just a few minutes to go.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

My pads are like 90% duct tape at this point. If there's something to be hacked on goalie pads chances are that I've done it. With tape.

I'd feel worse about having ghetto looking pads, except that they make duct tape in so many colours now that I've managed to blend most of it pretty well. Also I realized that I don't really give a gently caress what they look like as long as I stop pucks :q:

No one notices goalies except other goalies, and even then, you have to get pretty close to notice tape.
When I taped my equipment orange for Halloween, people were freaking out that I bought new gear for a holiday.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

You call Toronto. I dare you. I DARE YOU! And it was closer to 55 minutes. I think they finally got a goal on you with just a few minutes to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0fur1csMfs

I called Toronto and you weren't credited with the goal. Your segment starts around 9:33 and it looks like the puck deflected off of one of my teammates. Sorry about taking the swipe after the play, but you know you had it coming. :)

I think you ended up facing the better side and for those of you not familiar with Churchill, each team has an A-line and a B-line that rotate every two minutes. The B-line is usually older dudes and midlevel players, but a couple of the guys can shoot, and the A-lines are generally pretty good, though they were slightly weaker than normal yesterday, which is probably why I held them scoreless for so long.

As for that game, I played well throughout most of the session. I had some nice explosive recoveries to my feet, though there were still too many lazy recoveries. I still go back to the post way too much and when I'm against the right post, my stick positioning is off, since the heel of my stick should be adjacent to the inside of the boot of my right leg pad. I did do a better job of challenging, but there were still a lot of instances where I gave up depth too quickly and essentially negated the challenging. I made a really nice stick save when that college hockey player chick went for a wraparound, though she eventually scored on a weird play where I caught the puck with my body and then it somehow fell when I tried to move. I guess it's the same stuff that I always do, but just with better results.

Also, here is a video from last Wednesday. I was going to post it earlier, but I forgot to save the edited footage before I went to sleep and stupid Windows Update rebooted my PC and lost all of my work, I have since changed my update settings. It was 4-on-4 with two subs on each team and I start out ok and make a couple sweeping poke check saves to save my rear end, but then I got tired and things get ugly.

From both of these videos I can see some signs of improvement, but I still see a lot of lazy habits that are driving me crazy. I guess some of the lazy recoveries are passable when the play is already out of the zone, but I hate watching myself do that.

I also took a puck to the knee on that Wednesday session I posted and then I took another on Sunday night at the skills session. I wear knee protection, but those still weren't pleasant, I think that I was wearing my knee locks too loose, which ended up exposing my knees too much in certain situations.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Aniki posted:

I called Toronto and you weren't credited with the goal. Your segment starts around 9:33 and it looks like the puck deflected off of one of my teammates. Sorry about taking the swipe after the play, but you know you had it coming. :)

hahahaha! This is fantastic.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Nope. I'm taking it. I just moved so quickly that it didn't show up on camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think we all know the only way to settle this is with a goalie fight at centre ice :colbert:

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

So which mount are you guys using for your Hero cameras? I'm about ready to spring for one but I want to make sure I get the right package.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_Red posted:

So which mount are you guys using for your Hero cameras? I'm about ready to spring for one but I want to make sure I get the right package.

Vented head strap and I use the extender piece to allow the camera to sit down a little lower. Titanium uses both straps to attach it to the netting and I use one strap and bring wrap it around the padded part of the center post. I can post some pictures, sans net later if needed.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Aniki posted:

Vented head strap and I use the extender piece to allow the camera to sit down a little lower. Titanium uses both straps to attach it to the netting and I use one strap and bring wrap it around the padded part of the center post. I can post some pictures, sans net later if needed.

Please. That would be helpful.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gently caress my coach just emailed us our schedule and we have a game in mid-October and I'm woefully out of shape aaaaaaaaaaaah I don't even think we have a backup goalie.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

T-Bone posted:

gently caress my coach just emailed us our schedule and we have a game in mid-October and I'm woefully out of shape aaaaaaaaaaaah I don't even think we have a backup goalie.

Start training. You still have time to get yourself together.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
yeah I'm just bitching and being lazy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was looking at one of the gear pic threads on GSBB and saw this...

:what:

The other side of the mask
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/oleuY.jpg :nws:
:stare:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
At least he matches.. the floor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Good point, maybe it is supposed to be crease camo.

It still looks terrible.

• Locked thread