Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

doomfunk posted:

This is very important: Can you be a brain outside of a bubble?

Nope. Dome only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Asimo posted:

I suggest grabbing a defensive passive later on too if you have room, maybe Invulnerability or Defiance. Sure, you won't be a tank with this build, but the pure-DPS builds tend to have issues with things they can't nuke down quickly. This doesn't happen often admittedly, but having the option to throw on a defensive passive can make soloing things like mission packs or certain instanced quests a lot easier.

Well her build is currently a dual Defiance/Electric Form one, I just find myself not using Defiance because I'm leary of falling into the trap of setting up ALL my characters with defensive passives, and so far I've been able to handle things in avenger - I soloed Resistance just fine, and did Aftershock with Aphrodite last night without once using Defiance.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll definitely consider it.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Here's a gimmick build I've been toying with. How gimped can you ~get~

The idea was to spam laser sword, and use electric form to boost the damage. And what good jedi doesn't have telekinesis and the ability to choke people?

Jedi: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
Level 5: Super Strength
Level 13: Super Ego

Powers:
Level 1: Force Bolts
Level 1: Force Blast
Level 5: Force Shield
Level 5: Acrobatics
Level 8: Laser Sword
Level 11: Force Eruption
Level 14: Lightning Reflexes
Level 17: Electric Form
Level 20: Ego Choke
Level 23: Roomsweeper
Level 26: Telekinesis
Level 29: Invulnerability
Level 32: Bountiful Chi Resurgence
Level 35: Orbital Cannon
Level 35: Superjump
Level 38: Force Cascade

Talents:
Level 1: Superhuman
Level 6: Professional Athlete
Level 9: Mighty
Level 12: Indomitable
Level 15: Martial Focus
Level 18: Bodybuilder
Level 21: Shooter

edit: I actually do want to make something playable, so feel free to suggest literally anything that fits with the theme and is good (I am bad at this game)

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 13, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Well her build is currently a dual Defiance/Electric Form one, I just find myself not using Defiance because I'm leary of falling into the trap of setting up ALL my characters with defensive passives, and so far I've been able to handle things in avenger - I soloed Resistance just fine, and did Aftershock with Aphrodite last night without once using Defiance.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll definitely consider it.
Well, in fairness there's a reason people tend to fall into using passive defenses, and that's that they're really good. They work with almost any powerset, and most things you run into die quickly enough that the extra damage from an offensive passive doesn't appreciably speed things up, but being nigh-invulnerable lets you handle a lot of content you might have otherwise struggled with.

That said... yeah, if you know what you're doing and don't like that playstyle, there's no reason to force it, especially if you're teaming. It's not like the game is really hard either way.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

He was 40. So equipping the item makes you transparent like that?

Here it is. It looks like your Equilibrium/energy needs to be at a 80% or somesuch for that to work.

Elder Worm Humidity Dome

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Buzz Lightyear and Earthworm Jim were obvious. I had a different character in mind for the Sci-Fi pack.

Since you can't make a Cyclops, I had to do the next best thing.

Allatum posted:

Here it is. It looks like your Equilibrium/energy needs to be at a 80% or somesuch for that to work.

Elder Worm Humidity Dome

What happens if you're below that? The transparency just doesn't work?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
So apparently you can subscribe for Gold, get the benefits immediately, and then cancel your account within a short time period (I canceled immediately, but the support rep I spoke with said you have "a few days"), you aren't charged for Gold and it's removed from your account once canceled.

You can use that temporary Gold time to create characters in your extra character slots, then cancel Gold and still have access to those characters when your Gold status is removed.

I assume this also works for creating Freeform characters on a free account.

Not sure if anyone will get any use out of this, but whatever. I found out on accident when I canceled my sub right after subbing (to prevent auto-renewal) and then contacting Support about it.

Edit: vvv Yeah I don't know if I'd recommend it either (I literally just started playing today so I don't know anything about Cryptic's policies or whatever) but it's certainly... interesting.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 13, 2011

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

So apparently you can subscribe for Gold, get the benefits immediately, and then cancel your account within the day, you aren't charged for Gold and it's removed from your account once canceled.

You can use that temporary Gold time to create characters in your extra character slots, then cancel Gold and still have access to those characters when your Gold status is removed.

Not sure if anyone will get any use out of this, but whatever. I found out on accident when I canceled my sub right after subbing (to prevent auto-renewal) and then contacting Support about it.

That sounds like a really bad idea. I dunno if I'd recommend doing this as this really seems like gaming the system and I can't imagine cryptic liking that.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is it possible to just start a character over again at level 1 and not have to redo the costume? I finally got my sci-fi character looking how I want and then I went and picked gadgeteering and it's just awful and not any fun at all but I like how she looks :negative:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is it possible to just start a character over again at level 1 and not have to redo the costume? I finally got my sci-fi character looking how I want and then I went and picked gadgeteering and it's just awful and not any fun at all but I like how she looks :negative:

Go to a tailor when you finish the tutorial, save the costume using the buttons at the bottom, delete character/remake them and then load the costume again.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm pretty sure you can Save a costume at the tailoring station and then Load it when building a new character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

No, that wouldn't work. You can't play freeforms under Silver.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

What happens if you're below that? The transparency just doesn't work?

Pretty much, yeah. It's more or less a gimmick item for use in sentinel role or whatnot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is that the case, though? Is it a coding error, or does the effect cost energy and it's a math reason?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This model of F2P doesn't sounds too annoying so I'll give this game a try, hopefully I can be a mix of an android and The Punisher and use a fuckload of guns...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Why is that the case, though? Is it a coding error, or does the effect cost energy and it's a math reason?
It's just the SFX of the item, really. Build power, get special effect! Or something like that.

frajaq posted:

This model of F2P doesn't sounds too annoying so I'll give this game a try, hopefully I can be a mix of an android and The Punisher and use a fuckload of guns...
It's honestly one of the more generous F2P setups. Though you probably already know, the major gameplay difference is the F2P folks only get to pick from archetypes (basically, classes) rather than freeform custom builds. Luckily, shooting things with guns is one of these archetypes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Asimo posted:

It's honestly one of the more generous F2P setups. Though you probably already know, the major gameplay difference is the F2P folks only get to pick from archetypes (basically, classes) rather than freeform custom builds. Luckily, shooting things with guns is one of these archetypes.

The fact that free players are limited to archetypes and that they can't customize power hues (right?) are the only two things that convinced me to (re)subscribe. I don't mind the concept of having to buy costume sets and new powers and junk, that's fine, but freeform character generation and power customization are just things that I don't want to go without.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, but it's still a pretty good F2P scheme. The Archetypes solve some issues a lot of people had of not knowing what to do with the freeform system in terms of making poor characters, while providing a decent sort of baseline to work from (except for the Mind, which sucks). While at the same time, you wind up with almost the entire game to play with still. It works really, really well as an extended sort of demo/trial/tutorial that way.

Not that I'd want to unsubscribe. The value in it, even beyond having freeform chars, is just good enough. But it's still easily one of the better F2P setups.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it possible to buy Atari Tokens or a Gold Upgrade for other people? I have a friend who can't afford them right now, and I'd like to chip in for her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Is it possible to buy Atari Tokens or a Gold Upgrade for other people? I have a friend who can't afford them right now, and I'd like to chip in for her.

Atari tokens, yes.

http://www.champions-online.com/ataritokens

Gold, I would think so, but I can't say with certainty since I've never done it.

http://www.champions-online.com/gold

There's a 30 day timecard option. There's no reason to have it there unless you're able to give the code away.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah, thanks for that, I missed it completely. :downs:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Whelp, the retro sci-fi costume pack finally gave me the concept to use for a Fire-based hero.

Animated through the dark sorcery of Baba Yaga, and enhanced through proud Soviet nuclear engineering, the world receives a reborn hero to face the twin crises of international crime and the world financial crisis! Behold the greatest ideological hero! The champion of the people! The hammer of the proletariat! Lenin's Radioactive Brain! :zombie:

I'm kind of amazed it fit into the name space.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Why would Lenin's brain be irradiated, though?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jan posted:

Why wouldn't it be? :colbert:

Besides, if it wasn't radioactive, it'd just be a... brain. Where's the excitement in that?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jan posted:

You need to read more comic books.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

Exposure to Stalin's radioactive brain. Duh.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Asimo posted:

Of COURSE he has a deely-bopper, how could he NOT?

(I think I know what to do with The Soviet Dynamo now)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Asimo posted:

Lenin's Radioactive Brain! :zombie:

I'm kind of amazed it fit into the name space.

That's kinda similar to the very first character I rolled (now deleted). He was an Inferno archetype who looked like a robot, however the idea was that he was actually a tiny little fire alien piloting a human-sized robot suit. He comes from a planet of tiny fire aliens, where his suit was used to defend the people from "giant" (relative to them) monsters attacking their cities.

It was adorable, but I quickly decided I hated playing Inferno.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Radiation is not fire!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Radiation is not fire!

Explain Firestar (Marvel's version) to me then. :colbert:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Radiation is not fire!
:colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stars are made of plasma, not fire.

Looks like someone needs a new brain for their jar!

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
New patch up on the Public test shard. Unfortunately it introduced a bug that causes the game to crash when you try to view the full list of powers.

On the plus side, they're adding some cool things to gadgetry:
  • Particle Rifle (New!): A new Energy Builder that uses the new Particle Rifle geometry and animations.
  • Sonic Boom Generator (New!): This new Tier 2 power is a charged AoE power that can Disorient your targets.
  • Sonic Boom Generator: Sonic Suppression Enhancer (New!): This 2 point advantage doubles the chance to Disorient with Sonic Boom Generator (such that it is 100% at full charge) and causes full charges of Sonic Boom Generator to temporarily reduce each target's resistance to Sonic damage.
  • Pulse Beam Rifle (New!): This new Tier 1 power is a maintained attack with a large damage variance that has an increasing Critical Hit chance as it is maintained.
  • Pulse Beam Rifle: Finite Improbability Engine (New!): This 2 point advantage slightly increases the increase to Critical Hits of the base power, and also adds random debuffs when you Critically Hit with the power.
  • Tanglecoil Launcher (New!): This new Tier 2 power Paralyzes your target and deals Crushing damage while they are Held by the power.
  • Tanglecoil Launcher: Constricting Coils (New!): This 2 point advantage increases the damage that Tanglecoil Launcher deals.
  • Support Drones: Rank 3 now has access to an additional darker costume option.

New Power Armor power:
  • Energy Wave (New!): This new Tier 3 power is a charged PBAoE that deals Particle damage and knocks back foes.
  • Energy Wave: Hardened Particle Matrix (New!): This 3 point advantage causes your Energy Wave to grant you a temporary damage absorption shield based on the number of targets hit.

And a new kick to Might which acts as a repel or a knock if you charge it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So since you're all lazy and didn't contribute enough, we probably need to push our CC another week.

We still need categories. There's a big list on Page 1. Choose your favorites so we can narrow it down to 10.

Edit: Since we have enough money pledged for at least 2 CCs, I'm thinking we do two different styles instead of just repeating the joke twice. The first one would be our original plan. We announce a CC with no categories. People show up, we judge them, then give the prizes away with silly fake categories. So for this one, make your suggestions broad enough to apply to a lot of costumes. Some examples from the list are:

Female costume most likely to be created by a male
Costume that best represents the number I was thinking of
Costume that most closely resembles the score to the film The Titanic
Costume that makes the dead pixel in the middle of my screen turn the prettiest color
Costume I closed my eyes and pointed to
Costume I would buy if it went on sale but not at full price
Most Likely to Appear in a Sex Offender Registry
Person Who Gives the Judges the Largest Bribe
Breast Cancer Awareness

Funny > Insulting. If they're all just insulting nobody will show up for future CCs. That's not to say none can be insulting, a lot of the people who go to CCs do actually have senses of humor.

Basically, we choose 10 costumes we actually like (Give or take. We may end up with categories that point to awful costumes like Breast Cancer Awareness, which is fine), and then arbitrarily assign them the joke categories. Keep this in mind if you want to judge. These are joke CCs, not troll CCs. Behind the scenes you're doing the same thing you would in a legit CC.

For the second, I'm thinking the more specific stuff. This one we announce in advance, to give people prep time. Too specific isn't good, like Zombie Billy Mays, because people don't usually go for stuff like that and any that do will basically all look the same.

Stuff like A Tribute to Rob Liefeld, Best Nightmare On Sesame St. etc. work here. Where there's room for variety in the costumes.

You don't have to just use stuff from the list, for the record. If you have new suggestions go ahead.

The Lightning Round will be done at both CCs. We need to have a signature.

I also have an idea for an improv CC we can do later on. Each judge gets to pick one winner, which is shared only with the host and not the other judges. Winners are then shuffled by the host, and given to a different judge. The new judge has to think up a funny or clever category for the winner on the spot (With a short time limit.) The other judges vote on quality, and if it sucked the winner gets double the prize. Choosing a terrible winner to pawn off on someone else is definitely encouraged.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 16, 2011

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
gently caress, I knew I forgot something today!

Yeah, next week is good. And as always, my choice for category: Capt. Thalidomide's Hall of Fame

Although A Tribute to Rob Liefeld is a kind of distant second.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Organization stuff:

This is best done with the Supergoons SG, since X-Goons has some annoying broken permission stuff. If the character you want to show up as is in X-Goons, just switch over. You can go back later if you really want to. You don't have to judge if you don't want to, but everyone who can better be there.

We're going to change the name to S.P.E.R.G. for the CC because every SG that hosts a costume contest has an acronym name, and if anyone asks it stands for "S.P.E.R.G. stands for The Supergoons" (As in the acronym SPERG means "SPERG stands for The Supergoons", not just "The Supergoons".)

I guess I'll play host, since I doubt anyone is going to volunteer for that.

The Lightning Round isn't set in stone yet, but the current best idea for how to run it is: All the judges stand up in the Champs HQ bowl before the CC starts, where the fountain and entrance is since they can't see the contestants from there. Once all the contestants have lined up we give the word and they all run out using their Travel Powers (A few won't really work for this unfortunately, like Swinging or any of the jumps.) Superspeed or Lightspeed are the best choices, but I'm not going to require people to respec or anything just to grab them. You then make a full speed pass across the contestant line and back up into the bowl. For this to work, only one person will actually be choosing a winner. The others are just running for show. Since the choice is basically completely random, the odds of actually getting a majority winner if everyone voted would be tiny. I don't really know how the one person will choose a winner just yet, since you're probably going to have to turn player names off to avoid lag. Maybe just randomly click on one person during the course of the run and that's who wins? I don't know, open to ideas here. Lightning Round winner is announced immediately, then the normal judging begins.

Even if you're not judging, you should still do the Lightning Round. It looks cooler with more people.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 16, 2011

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Foe the second style of CC, I narrowed down the list to the categories that I personally believe would be interesting to the contestants, while providing us with some amusing results, given that they have a good amount of time (days) to prepare and get creative:

Female costume most likely to be created by a male
Costume Edward Cullen would choose second over Bella
Best use of costume piece 'bare hands'
Miming
Corny Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Romance Novel Covers (Emphasis on CORNY)
Lords and Ladies FROM SPAAAAACE
Foxbat's #1 Fan
Manimal Hunter
Slendermen and Women (Tall, thin, long-limbed costumes)
gently caress the Ocean
Cosplay Disasters
Most Likely to Appear in a Sex Offender Registry
Rocket-Powered Hobos
IT CAME FROM CLUB CAPRICE
Famous Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds
Rejected VIPER Armor Suit Designs
Bootleg Versions of Famous Heroes
A Tribute to Rob Liefeld
Largest Disconnect Between Character Name and Appearance
Most Punchable Face / Costume
Best Combination of Antlers and Necktie
Most Likely to Have Been Shoved Into a Locker in High School
Best Powered Armor Suit with a Monocle
Capt. Thalidomide's Hall of Fame
Best-Dressed Farm Animal
Most accurate A-Team
Best Simultaneous Parody of Hulk & Deadpool
Best Nightmare On Sesame St.
Biography with the most cliches
Angst Angst Angst Angst

Though if there was a category that I would love to see happen first it's either Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds or Most Likely to Appear in a Sex Offender Registry. Oh, and Best Simultaneous Parody of Hulk & Deadpool if you prefer something hero-related.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Best simultaneous parody of Deadpool and Hulk Hogan.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As for the costume contest: I got nothin'. V:geno:V It's an awesome idea, but I can't think of good categories; the few things I pondered that'd work have already been mentioned, or mentioned in a far more entertaining manner. So it goes.

As for the new powers pending on the PTR: Haven't really given them a test yet, for obvious reasons, but it's always nice to see new stuff. I'm a bit surprised there isn't a tier-3 particle rifle power or two to round out that "sub-set" of Gadgeteering though, it seems like an obvious lack if they wanted to make that a viable option. Orbital Cannon's nice and all, but it doesn't fit that theme and it isn't the most useful thing while leveling due to the large lead-in charge time. A new power armor power's nice, but a lot'll depend on the specifics, and I still say the set needs to be revamped to be more in line with the others. The Might kick power is completely unnecessary, but hey more options.

Also, another concept art update's been posted on the website, detailing the upcoming ranged weapon pack(s). If they're anything like the melee weapon pack they'll totally not be worth the cryptic fun bucks, but it might be of interest to someone. And hey, art!

In addition, they put up some other art, including the ray guns from the sci-fi costume pack (I keep forgetting about those too; talk about an awesome set) and two bows that will probably be thrown into the ranged weapon pack I guess? The article isn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Asimo posted:

You know what amuses me? The lefthand one of those two is almost exactly the default bow model that CoH has had since it's had archery. Higher res sure, but it's the same bow.