Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

AbbiTheDog posted:

Only the nerds snickered at that one.

Nerd :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

EDIT : I'm dumb.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

How hard is preparing taxes using a K-1 form from investing and getting distributions from an MLP? There is an investment I'd like to make, but I do not know if its worth the tax hassle.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Nifty posted:

How hard is preparing taxes using a K-1 form from investing and getting distributions from an MLP? There is an investment I'd like to make, but I do not know if its worth the tax hassle.

I think it's pretty easy. You may find otherwise, depending on what software you use and how comfortable you are with the concept of a K-1.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is this a good spot for a general question about paycheck taxes? If so, I have a question regarding federal income tax. I left my job 2 weeks ago and today I got my final paychecks, one for regular pay and one for my PTO payout. The tax for federal income was big. Looking through a few older paychecks, almost no federal income tax was taken out or a much lower amount, but on the PTO payout, $73 was taken out on a check that grossed to under $300. Does that sound right? Some of the other taxes were larger than usual, as well, but not to that extent. I live in Montana if that makes a difference. Thanks for any insight.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I have a friend who just got screwed by someone that she used to nanny for. Yesterday she got a letter from the IRS stating that she owes $903 in back-taxes from the year 2009. The people who she used to nanny for decided (without telling her) that they were going to declare her payments on their taxes without giving her a W2 or anything like that. I'm wondering if there's anything she can do to avoid this or get the payment lowered or get her on a payment plan if there's no way out of it.

catman
Jul 23, 2006

dustbin posted:

Is this a good spot for a general question about paycheck taxes? If so, I have a question regarding federal income tax. I left my job 2 weeks ago and today I got my final paychecks, one for regular pay and one for my PTO payout. The tax for federal income was big. Looking through a few older paychecks, almost no federal income tax was taken out or a much lower amount, but on the PTO payout, $73 was taken out on a check that grossed to under $300. Does that sound right? Some of the other taxes were larger than usual, as well, but not to that extent. I live in Montana if that makes a difference. Thanks for any insight.

PTO payouts are probably considered supplemental wages and are withheld at 25%. Looks like 6% withholding for Montana.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

quote:

I have a friend who just got screwed by someone that she used to nanny for. Yesterday she got a letter from the IRS stating that she owes $903 in back-taxes from the year 2009. The people who she used to nanny for decided (without telling her) that they were going to declare her payments on their taxes without giving her a W2 or anything like that. I'm wondering if there's anything she can do to avoid this or get the payment lowered or get her on a payment plan if there's no way out of it.

I really doubt your friend didn't realize that they would be deducting her babysitter payments on their taxes given that they would need to have her social security number to do so (which means she gave it to them).

With that said, her best option is to call the IRS and see if a payment plan can be worked out. Her situation is not that uncommon. Ignoring the notice is the absolute worst thing she can do.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

In the last week I was forced by the city to leave my rental home in Iowa due to complications from flooding and I moved to Nebraska. I will continue to earn income in Iowa. It looks like I'll need to file a partial year resident form and I think an NE Schedule III to get credit for income taxes withheld from my check. Please correct me if that isn't right.

Does that situation mean that I fill out an accurate W-4 with my employer and they take out income taxes for IA, NE, or both and then refund me at the end of the year when I do my taxes? e: My goal on my income taxes is always to break even or have a very small refund (~$40).

Is there a legitimate reason and way to physically live in NE but maintain IA residency without being a student? NE has a wheel tax that is separate from car registration, I understand, and what I've been told is that students are just required to pay the wheel tax. My car is titled and registered in IA, and my license is still valid for several years. I'd like to avoid all the paperwork hassle if possible, especially because there's a good chance I'll be moving back to IA when my 6 month lease expires. I don't want to commit tax fraud. I just want the easiest and/or cheapest legitimate solution. I'm single with no dependents.

I'm going to be receiving a car as a gift within a couple months from my father, who lives in SD where there is no income tax. For registration/titling and income tax purposes for the both of us, does it make more sense to call it a gift or buy it from him for some paltry amount? How is the value of the car determined for all the applicable tax purposes, sale value or KBB or something else? I never get expensive gifts, I don't know how much The Man gets.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 23, 2011

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm a director of a NH non-profit (not a 501c3), and we want to start offering classes through our organization. The current plan is to have each class run by whichever person wants to teach it, with the class fees being handled by our organization. We keep 40%, the instructor keeps 60%. What do we need to do as far as tax paperwork goes when we pay the 60% to these instructors? Would we need to fill out a 1099-MISC for each one?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Hillridge posted:

I'm a director of a NH non-profit (not a 501c3), and we want to start offering classes through our organization. The current plan is to have each class run by whichever person wants to teach it, with the class fees being handled by our organization. We keep 40%, the instructor keeps 60%. What do we need to do as far as tax paperwork goes when we pay the 60% to these instructors? Would we need to fill out a 1099-MISC for each one?

These are 1099 payments, meaning that yes a 1099 should be issued to any individual who receives more than $600 in compensation.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Thanks. So if the payment is under 600, we aren't required to do anything with regards to the instructor? It'll be in our financial records since it's technically money we spent, but I expect we'll have a decent number of under $600 payouts, and not having to deal with paperwork (collecting SSNs, etc.) would be great.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Hillridge posted:

Thanks. So if the payment is under 600, we aren't required to do anything with regards to the instructor? It'll be in our financial records since it's technically money we spent, but I expect we'll have a decent number of under $600 payouts, and not having to deal with paperwork (collecting SSNs, etc.) would be great.

If I were you I'd collect them no matter what at the beginning of the contract. If, at the end of the year, you do wind up paying a contractor over $600 and you didn't plan to (and thus, didn't collect the info) and then the contractor tells you to "shove off" when you ask for their SSN, you can get into trouble (fined) should you get caught. Not worth it.

Just make them all fill out an W-9 form and staple it to their contract when they start.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I am starting a new job soon. It's a 100% remote position, and since I don't have a home office, I plan to use a coworking space in my city for $250/mo. My new employer is going to reimburse me for this expense. Would this be taxable income?

I currently live in Washington, where there is no state income tax. Since I'll be able to take my job with me, I'm probably going to move to the Portland area. If I live and work in Washington I'll still not have to pay any state income tax. However, the only coworking spaces I can find in that area are in Oregon, where there is an income tax. Would working in a coworking space like that require me to pay Oregon state income tax? My employer is based in New Jersey if that makes any difference.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

I am starting a new job soon. It's a 100% remote position, and since I don't have a home office, I plan to use a coworking space in my city for $250/mo. My new employer is going to reimburse me for this expense. Would this be taxable income?

I currently live in Washington, where there is no state income tax. Since I'll be able to take my job with me, I'm probably going to move to the Portland area. If I live and work in Washington I'll still not have to pay any state income tax. However, the only coworking spaces I can find in that area are in Oregon, where there is an income tax. Would working in a coworking space like that require me to pay Oregon state income tax? My employer is based in New Jersey if that makes any difference.

A) No
B) Yes, your employer should probably slap this on your W-2 though for the state to trace you. If the state box is still listed as OR then they won't be able to track you.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm planning on giving an entire month's wages on a 1099 gig to charity. How do I go about processing that so I can actually claim it?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

quote:

I'm planning on giving an entire month's wages on a 1099 gig to charity. How do I go about processing that so I can actually claim it?

Not sure what you mean about "processing" it. You would claim whatever amount you donate on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Always remembering that donated services are not deductible, only cash or physical goods.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
For 6 months I have been trying to get a nonprofit I volunteer for to take out the line from their newsletter about "volunteer and get a tax deduction for your time!" :sigh:

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

scribe jones posted:

For 6 months I have been trying to get a nonprofit I volunteer for to take out the line from their newsletter about "volunteer and get a tax deduction for your time!" :sigh:

Come on, you get the awesome cents per mile deduction. What more do you need?

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008
Stupid question time: working through the 1040ES as a employee not subject to W2 withholdings (but most certainly not an independent contractor, for whatever reason fellowships are not required to be withheld against and my attempts to get them to withhold from my paycheck have been met with claims of that it is against the law to do so, which seems wrong but whatever), I don't see a spot for determining the withholdings for social security, medicare, and medicaid. Is there a special form for this, or is it rolled into the main calculation?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

EtaBetaPi posted:

Stupid question time: working through the 1040ES as a employee not subject to W2 withholdings (but most certainly not an independent contractor, for whatever reason fellowships are not required to be withheld against and my attempts to get them to withhold from my paycheck have been met with claims of that it is against the law to do so, which seems wrong but whatever), I don't see a spot for determining the withholdings for social security, medicare, and medicaid. Is there a special form for this, or is it rolled into the main calculation?

Only wage income or self employment income are subject to those. Fellowship income is neither.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Fellowships ARE still taxable though, except for any of it you spend directly on school supplies (but not housing). You can either pay the taxes quarterly or just do it on your yearly return. If you want to make sure you have enough to cover it, set up an auto deduction from your paycheck to go into a savings account or something. Then you will get used to not having that money, and you can use it to pay your taxes at the end of the year. You might even end up over-saving so you have a "refund" from yourself :)

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Fellowships ARE still taxable though, except for any of it you spend directly on school supplies (but not housing). You can either pay the taxes quarterly or just do it on your yearly return. If you want to make sure you have enough to cover it, set up an auto deduction from your paycheck to go into a savings account or something. Then you will get used to not having that money, and you can use it to pay your taxes at the end of the year. You might even end up over-saving so you have a "refund" from yourself :)

Yeah, my question had to do with the medicare/caid/social security portion of the taxes, which apparently don't apply to fellowship income if I'm reading furushotakeru right.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

EtaBetaPi posted:

Yeah, my question had to do with the medicare/caid/social security portion of the taxes, which apparently don't apply to fellowship income if I'm reading furushotakeru right.

You are

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
If I filed as a self employed musician, would I be able to deduct music lessons and classes as business expenses? Considering I don't think I'll be making any kind of profit off music related stuff for quite awhile, would the hassle of incorporating be worth it to be able to have tax deductions when otherwise I'm making about minimum wage?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Zewle posted:

If I filed as a self employed musician, would I be able to deduct music lessons and classes as business expenses? Considering I don't think I'll be making any kind of profit off music related stuff for quite awhile, would the hassle of incorporating be worth it to be able to have tax deductions when otherwise I'm making about minimum wage?

Those sound like legit business expenses to me. You don't need to incorporate to claim them. Many people just use their social security number on their schedule C. If you find that in the course of doing business that you are needing to share your social security number in places you would rather not, you can apply for an EIN, which is also super easy to do.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Those sound like legit business expenses to me. You don't need to incorporate to claim them. Many people just use their social security number on their schedule C. If you find that in the course of doing business that you are needing to share your social security number in places you would rather not, you can apply for an EIN, which is also super easy to do.

Would there be an issue if I don't make any profit or have any sales yet? I'll be taking theory and professional audio tech lessons, and building website and imagery for band, but that's as professional as it would be by then. Should I be worried that that might not be seen as a legit tax... thing?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Zewle posted:

Would there be an issue if I don't make any profit or have any sales yet? I'll be taking theory and professional audio tech lessons, and building website and imagery for band, but that's as professional as it would be by then. Should I be worried that that might not be seen as a legit tax... thing?
Many businesses take a few years to start turning a profit.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Zewle posted:

I'd say no. Education expenses to train for a new profession are not deductible as business expenses. See IRS Publication 970.

And you're going to have audit flags all over the place with a schedule C with no revenue and nothing but expenses for a few years.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
So basically, unless I manage to actually make a profit or some kind, don't try deducting expenses?

Is there a line where lessons/classes go from being training for new profession to business expenses?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Zewle posted:

So basically, unless I manage to actually make a profit or some kind, don't try deducting expenses?

Is there a line where lessons/classes go from being training for new profession to business expenses?

You are probably a better judge than anyone. If you are training to be a musician and that's it, then no. If you are a degree candidate, then you may be able to claim education credits, but they are not business expenses. But if you are actively putting yourself out there, networking, getting gigs, that is a different story, even if it is still a side project. Professional musicians still may take voice lessons and pay for training. Taking lessons isn't the disqualifier. Not trying to make money at it is.

If you are not sure what you are, then keep records of what you are doing and you may need to consult with a tax professional to sort it out.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Zewle posted:

A) No, you can still claim expenses and lose money, but the burden of proof shifts from the IRS proving you're a hobby to you proving you're attempting to make a profit.

B) Tough call, depends on the facts and circumstances. Pay someone for some advice, you cheap musician. :banjo:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Trying to make sense of the new rules for electing in/out of carry-over basis, including when and how to make GST elections, is seriously annoying. Since the due date for the election is 11/15/11, it'd be really great if we could get a reg or some more guidance other than one Rev. Proc. and one notice.

It doesn't help that I have to present on this topic tomorrow to a whole bunch of people in my department. :\

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Stupid Question:

I'm doing some independent contract work this summer doing landscaping and property maintenance. I buy supplies like mulch, weedkiller, and tools, and my employer refunds me for them. I've been keeping the receipts on file. Who needs these for filing for taxes? Me or him? My employer seems to think I should, but I figure if he has covered the expense, then technically they're his, right?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Stupid Question:

I'm doing some independent contract work this summer doing landscaping and property maintenance. I buy supplies like mulch, weedkiller, and tools, and my employer refunds me for them. I've been keeping the receipts on file. Who needs these for filing for taxes? Me or him? My employer seems to think I should, but I figure if he has covered the expense, then technically they're his, right?

I'm confused. Are you an independent contractor or is he your employer? These are mutually exclusive things. As far as who can deduct the expenses for the supplies, he can since he is the one who ultimately paid for them.

catman
Jul 23, 2006

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Stupid Question:

If the 1099-Misc includes the reimbursements then you would take the expenses.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

catman posted:

If the 1099-Misc includes the reimbursements then you would take the expenses.

If he is going to turn around and send WrongWay a 1099 with these amounts added to it, then yes, you are right. But I have a feeling that this is quasi under the table and no one will be issuing anyone a 1099-Misc.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
yeah, it's a kinda/sorta under the table kind of thing. I'm just doing some property work for a local landlord. I'm assuming that Zeta's first comment is probably the most accurate, though I'll have to talk with him to see exactly what his plan is on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Is there a "proper"/required way to calculate cost-basis on taxable investments sold? Via http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/research_strategies/market_insight/financial_goals/tax/calculate_the_cost_before_you_sell.html, it suggests that First In First Out is IRS default... does that mean it's required, or could I calculate some other way. Any other resources I should know about for figuring this stuff out?

Thanks.