Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I had looked into this a little over a year ago, but decided to stick with my old beat up phone and outrageous (good) plan.

I am currently on an old retail employee plan, base price $20 for 3000 minutes, unlimited text and data. After insurance and extra stuff, I pay $35/mo.

Well, that ship has sailed. Sprint finally sent me a text message stating that I need to change my plan within 1 week or they'll do it for me (I haven't worked for the retail company for many years). Since I have to change anyway, I wanted to look into joining the modern world of smart phones.

I realize that I won't get anywhere close to my current plan rate. My question is, would it be possible to use my current account status to worm my way into the previously un-obtainable SERO Premium plans? Or am I not a special enough snowflake to qualify?

Failing that, is EPRP the way to go? I work for the FAA but it seems their government discount is 15%, so I guess it just evens out with the EPRP price. UNLESS, the FAA discount is actually more than 15%, I just saw their generic Government Employee discount rate on the website, finding my specific discount rate required my employee email address and signing a two year contract on Sprint's website, which is something I don't yet want to do until I know what the discount is.

Short version question, what is my best course of action for getting into a real-person Sprint plan with a new smart phone and data package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Micgael posted:

So I am due for an upgrade, and completely ready to retire my palm pre. I've been looking at the Evo 4G, but the reviews on site have about half of the people saying the battery is miserable. Do you guys have any opinion's re: Evo 4G's battery?

Why would you not get the Evo 3d over the Evo 4g? The Evo 3D is a superior phone in each and every way especially the battery life.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

McGrady posted:

What is the status on the official update to give full system access for the Evo 3d?

The unofficial one works like a champ, and there's no real reason to wait unless you just want to be safe. The official one is due out this month.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Why would you not get the Evo 3d over the Evo 4g? The Evo 3D is a superior phone in each and every way especially the battery life.

The 3D also rootable and will continue to receive 1st party and 3rd party ROM support much further out than the 4G. The 4G may never get a new root exploit simply due to the lack of community interest since the 3D is out.

If you're buying used, the 4G will be a lot cheaper, if you're using an upgrade the 3D is the way to go for sure.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
It's probably been asked before but I don't see it in the OP. Is iPhone 5 confirmed to come to Sprint and would it be super mega expensive to upgrade from my crappy Palm Centro on the SERO plan currently paying $30/month?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ceebee posted:

It's probably been asked before but I don't see it in the OP. Is iPhone 5 confirmed to come to Sprint and would it be super mega expensive to upgrade from my crappy Palm Centro on the SERO plan currently paying $30/month?

Nothing confirmed, rumor mill says "iPhone 4S." Check the OP, you just upgrade to SERO Premium.

EDIT: At least that's the last I heard about it and it's been a while since I heard anything.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
My in call volume just got extremely quiet despite being at max volume, and speakerphone stopped working. This is my 3rd Evo 3D. Is there an easy fix for this, or do I have to go sit at the store for hours again? Already tried a cold boot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Nothing confirmed, rumor mill says "iPhone 4S." Check the OP, you just upgrade to SERO Premium.

EDIT: At least that's the last I heard about it and it's been a while since I heard anything.

No one will know about iPhone 5 crap for sure until Steve jobs stands up and declares it himself.

And yeah, for anyone with an upgrade, the best phones to use it on are the 3D and photon. Otherwise, you could just get an EVO used for $200, signing a contract for outdated hardware is kind of silly.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
For what it's worth, I went from a Pre to an EVO 3D, and I love my new phone despite my initial misgivings about Android. It absolutely smashes the Pre in battery life despite the huge high-res screen and dual-core processor.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Q_res posted:

For what it's worth, I went from a Pre to an EVO 3D, and I love my new phone despite my initial misgivings about Android. It absolutely smashes the Pre in battery life despite the huge high-res screen and dual-core processor.

I found the battery life about the same with a new Pre battery. Not really fair to compare a 2+ year old battery with one.

That being said, for medium use, it smashes the hell out of the Pre with one of the battery optimizers on. Nice to have things that'll auto turn off wifi and 3g radios when not being used.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Skeezy posted:

Are there any real good cases for the Nexus S? I feel like going all out on the new phone next week and getting a nice case for it.
Incipio Feather: http://www.myincipio.com/Google-Nexus-S-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-Samsung-Google-Nexus-S-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case.asp

It's sexy, has a nice texture, and is only 1 MM thin. It's not going to protect your case from extremely hard drops like other thick cases might, but it will protect your phone from scuffs and add a better grip to it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ceebee posted:

Assuming Sprint gets the iPhone and they allow it on SERO, you should be able to upgrade to SERO Premium and pay $40/month for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZeroAX posted:

Assuming Sprint gets the iPhone and they allow it on SERO, you should be able to upgrade to SERO Premium and pay $40/month for it.

Knowing iPhone crap I would be shocked if they let it on $40 SERO. I think Apple does get some residuals on iPhone plans (i could be wrong), and I know for a long time you weren't allowed to put an iPhone on an indirect employee ATT plan. I would just not expect that. Maybe the $50 plan.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

TLG James posted:

I found the battery life about the same with a new Pre battery. Not really fair to compare a 2+ year old battery with one.

Thanks for assuming I'm making a comparison I'm not, you're an awesome dude. :jerkbag:

I actually just bought a brand new OEM Pre battery in Feburary. The EVO 3D does better than my Pre ever did, new phone or new battery.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

The 3D also rootable and will continue to receive 1st party and 3rd party ROM support much further out than the 4G. The 4G may never get a new root exploit simply due to the lack of community interest since the 3D is out.

If you're buying used, the 4G will be a lot cheaper, if you're using an upgrade the 3D is the way to go for sure.

Amazing timing on my post, because it looks like the Evo 4G is rootable/unlockable again for 2.3.3.

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

900ftjesus posted:

Amazing timing on my post, because it looks like the Evo 4G is rootable/unlockable again for 2.3.3.

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

Now for the Evo Shift. :colbert:

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008
Is anyone else having texting delay issues at all? Mine was fine when I left my apartment in Ohio on Friday, when i got here to Chicago my brother asked me if Sprint was having issues because his texts were being delayed. Now that I've been here a few days my texts won't come in unless I make or receive a call. Any ideas, I'm using a 3d, he has an og evo.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I had some pretty terrible texting issues last week in Chicago as well. There were two days when my texts wouldn't send, despite my phone having full bars. I never figured out what the issue was, but it's been fine now for several days.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Question on Sprint's return policy: if I return this Photon within 30 days and go back to my Evo, will my upgrade be restored?

This phone is amazing but may have too many bugs to keep it.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
So Engadget reviewed the Photon. I don't understand why they hate the Evo 3D so much. They call the Photon Sprint and Motorola's best phone yet, while calling the 3D disappointing, and saying "Instead of trying to wow us with a gimmicky 3D camera, it differentiates itself by being Sprint's first global phone with WiMAX, and as such supports CDMA / EV-DO for North America along with GSM / HSPA for the rest of the world."

They admit that the Photon is a slower phone, has a lovely Pentile qHD screen, and doesn't have some amazing camera. So what amazing features does it have that place it above the 3D, which has a faster processor? It's 1) .9 mm wider, 2) has a kickstand, 3) is a worldphone, and 4) doesn't have gimmicky 3D.

Engadget doesn't seem to understand that the 3D aspect is entirely optional.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pragan4 posted:

Question on Sprint's return policy: if I return this Photon within 30 days and go back to my Evo, will my upgrade be restored?

This phone is amazing but may have too many bugs to keep it.

Yes, you would just have a $35 restock fee.

Curious, what bugs are you running into?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, you would just have a $35 restock fee.

Curious, what bugs are you running into?

No audio on phone calls requiring a daily reboot is the most annoying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pragan4 posted:

No audio on phone calls requiring a daily reboot is the most annoying.

Haven't gotten that from anyone else, so you may want to consider swapping for another Photon, it could be a lemon. Up to you of course.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,

Duckman2008 posted:

Haven't gotten that from anyone else, so you may want to consider swapping for another Photon, it could be a lemon. Up to you of course.

That's encouraging. I'll try a replacement, and let you know how it turns out.

Btw, there are a few other people experiencing it here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/55069?start=0&tstart=0

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

My Dad's Photon had the same issue, but only once so far that I know of.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
So Engadget reviewed the Photon. I don't understand why they hate the Evo 3D so much. They call the Photon Sprint and Motorola's best phone yet, while calling the 3D disappointing, and saying "Instead of trying to wow us with a gimmicky 3D camera, it differentiates itself by being Sprint's first global phone with WiMAX, and as such supports CDMA / EV-DO for North America along with GSM / HSPA for the rest of the world."

They admit that the Photon is a slower phone, has a lovely Pentile qHD screen, and doesn't have some amazing camera. So what amazing features does it have that place it above the 3D, which has a faster processor? It's 1) .9 mm wider, 2) has a kickstand, 3) is a worldphone, and 4) doesn't have gimmicky 3D.

Most smartphone reviews seem to be worthless. Outside of actual fact based reviews on scientific metrics (anandtech), I seem to be totally alienated and confused by professional reviewers opinions'. I'll read their review, either own or use the product they reviewed, and usually find myself often not agreeing at all with their conclusions about individual features.

And they can't agree with each other most of the time. Videogames, for example, seem to have much closer score groupings.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I apologize if this has already been asked, but this thread is loooooong...Anyway, my sister has an EVO, and on the keyboard, on page 2 of the numbers/special characters, there are blank keys after the emoticons. I've tried Googling with little success to see if there's a way for her to map something to those blank keys. Anyone have any ideas?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

My Dad's Photon had the same issue, but only once so far that I know of.

K, in your case I can actually directly help, so make sure he keeps an eye on it :)

Also, ever since topolsky and crew left, engadget has kind of sucked.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

They also marked the 3D down for Sense just because the reviewer did not like the Sense interface.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I like Sense 3.0, but that actually seems reasonable. Why wouldn't you rate the phone on both the hardware and the software experience?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a week or so into using the Photon and I am really impressed by it. Its my first high end android toy and I'm just amazed at how fast it does everything. Call quality is good and the battery life is decent, at about 60% right now after a day of work.

Also I tethered the thing to my laptop on a 4G connection and holy poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Q_res posted:

I like Sense 3.0, but that actually seems reasonable. Why wouldn't you rate the phone on both the hardware and the software experience?

Because to an extent, Sense vs Blur vs AOSP is heavily subjective, so long as there aren't any major loving issues...and a lot of the Sense can be removed without even rooting if you so please.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Hopefully a Sprint working goon can help me out on this.

I dialed *2 to talk to someone about my EVO 4G, as the last couple of weeks my phone had a huge delay ringing when someone would call. It would ring between 5 and 8 times for the caller before it would start to ring for me, and I would have a very short period of time to answer before it would go to voice mail.

The rep I ended up speaking to, after explaining the situation, immediately set me up to have a new phone sent to me. Is this normal for something like this? I honestly thought it would be some kind of software thing on their end and it would be fixed, I was pretty surprised about that.

Also, will I actually get a new phone or should I expect a refurbished one? I'm a little worried about a refurb, because I've kept my EVO in fantastic shape and I'm worried that a refurb won't be as nice. I've never had to deal with a phone replacement before so I guess I'm not sure what to expect.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because to an extent, Sense vs Blur vs AOSP is heavily subjective, so long as there aren't any major loving issues...and a lot of the Sense can be removed without even rooting if you so please.

I don't disagree with anything in this post. But reviews are inherently subjective, so long as the reviewer is upfront and honest about it, I don't have a problem with it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

oxbrain posted:

I got an airrave about two weeks ago. About a week ago my roommate and I started intermittently missing texts. We'd send to people and they'd never show, people would send to us and we'd never get them. It seems to be linked to the airrave, because it only happens at home and hasn't happened since I shut it down on wednesday. Is this a common problem with the airrave?

I didn't see a response, but I got an answer from customer service. This is a known issue with the new airraves and they're "working on it."

So I just live with intermittent signal and chance missing calls and texts, or good signal and always miss texts. :sigh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

oxbrain posted:

I didn't see a response, but I got an answer from customer service. This is a known issue with the new airraves and they're "working on it."

So I just live with intermittent signal and chance missing calls and texts, or good signal and always miss texts. :sigh:

Set up GVoice integration in the meantime and send/receive texts that way while at home?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Do texts on Gvoice come through the 3g connection or will they go over wifi?

edit: Seems to be working, they must come in over wifi.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 16, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

Hopefully a Sprint working goon can help me out on this.

I dialed *2 to talk to someone about my EVO 4G, as the last couple of weeks my phone had a huge delay ringing when someone would call. It would ring between 5 and 8 times for the caller before it would start to ring for me, and I would have a very short period of time to answer before it would go to voice mail.

The rep I ended up speaking to, after explaining the situation, immediately set me up to have a new phone sent to me. Is this normal for something like this? I honestly thought it would be some kind of software thing on their end and it would be fixed, I was pretty surprised about that.

Also, will I actually get a new phone or should I expect a refurbished one? I'm a little worried about a refurb, because I've kept my EVO in fantastic shape and I'm worried that a refurb won't be as nice. I've never had to deal with a phone replacement before so I guess I'm not sure what to expect.

I've had my replacement EVO as a refurb for over 6 months and its been fine. And it seems like you have insurance, so you are covered no matter what. They probably should have trouble shooter some more, but I wouldn't fret over a refurb, the quality on them is pretty high.

I got a friend at asurion who said a good number of refurbs going out for evos are actually new, but I would still say you would get a refurb just in case. As mentioned , either way whatever.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

I've had my replacement EVO as a refurb for over 6 months and its been fine. And it seems like you have insurance, so you are covered no matter what. They probably should have trouble shooter some more, but I wouldn't fret over a refurb, the quality on them is pretty high.

I got a friend at asurion who said a good number of refurbs going out for evos are actually new, but I would still say you would get a refurb just in case. As mentioned , either way whatever.

Actually no insurance, no charge either so I'm assuming its being covered under manufacturer warranty. Happy to hear the quality is good on refurbs, that eases my mind. Its on backorder though, so maybe it will be new.

Either way, thanks!

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

I have a question about my Google voice number -- currently it's the same as my Sprint number, but if I were to leave Sprint for some other carrier, would my Google voice number get changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Nexus S kinda owns. Just wanted to add that in here.