Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Dominic White posted:

They're the replacement for the completely useless invisibility powerup.

It's next to worthless against projectile enemies but if you're dealing with hitscanners (especially chaingunners), it keeps them from getting a consistent lock on you and turning you into hamburger. Unfortunately, I've seen very few maps that actually use it that way or at all.

Yodzilla posted:

e: man doom guy is kind of a fatass

Hey, it's not his fault he ran out of MREs in the field and had to chow down on a few Mancubus corpses to keep going (enough fat in those guys to kill a horse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ChuckDHead posted:

I finished the final boss of Thy Flesh Consumed without even realising that I'd done it. I just went mad with the BFG, killed everything, then went back through the level to restock on ammo and health before jumping into the warp at the end to what I thought would the final boss. I figured I was going to battle Satan or something...

Haha I did the same thing. Honestly I was a little disappointed that I didn't have to fight five Cyberdemons at a time because with what I was packing I probably could have.

And got a bit into Brutal Doom 2. Pain Elementals are no loving joke now. :stare:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Pain Elementals are no loving joke now. :stare:

I didn't really look in to the feature log of the mod, I just kind of saw it, watched some gameplay and figured I'd give it a go. When I ran in to my first Pain Elemental I did what I normally do, run at it and stun lock it with the Chaingun. I think I had like 3 health after the explosion and was running around trying not to die from the fire. That said Brutal Doom is pretty awesome.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

superh posted:

After just finishing my Doom through Doom 2 complete playthrough, I really feel like Thy Flesh Consumed is a dry run for Doom 2 level design. It's definitely more difficult ( I guess since it goes at the end of Doom, it's gotta keep ramping things up? Where as Doom 2 had to appeal to potential new purchasers as well? ) but the levels have a real similar vibe, to me at least.

I just moved directly from Doom 1 into Doom 2 after playing neither for a decade and I think you're right. I mean, it makes sense based on when Ultimate Doom was developed but Doom 1 Episode 3 transitions into Doom 2 Episode 1 really nicely.

And then Doom 2 Episode 2 goes off the loving rails. I mean seriously these levels are an absolute mindfuck and I can't believe how much fun this poo poo is. Sadly I know a lot of people that get real mad at how Doom 2 turned out and start scoffing out loud at the mere mention of Trick & Traps but I love this poo poo. It's insane but it's got an internal logic that's all its own.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brutal Doom 0.11 is even better than previous versions just with little changes, the minigun's alt fire now makes sense, if you have over 100 health and armor, you can be a loving sentry gun with exelent accuracy. I changed cl_maxdecals from the default 1024 to 99999 and is ridiculous that you can paint a loving level RED :allears:.

Fake edit: They really improved how blood can splat the ceiling or close walls.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The weapons have alt-fires? :pwn:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yodzilla posted:

The weapons have alt-fires? :pwn:

This is the best use of that emoticon. I found that out yesterday using the assault rifle and plinking guys off with headshots.

Also chaingun enemies in DooM 2 scare the gently caress out of me in Brutal Doom, I am moving back to beat DooM again. Ep 1 and 2 down.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
So has anyone tried running Brutal Doom with nuts.wad yet? I can't even begin to imagine what that must look like at a playable framerate...

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 16, 2011

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Playing the new Brutal Doom, having not played any others before and did that shotgun guy just reload? :psyduck:

And finding out I could move barrels during E1M7 was one of the best moments of the whole episode - i spent the next couple minutes arranging them so they blockaded traps and went my merry way throughout the level, leaving to blow them up at the end with a few rockets. :supaburn:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

an_mutt posted:

Playing the new Brutal Doom, having not played any others before and did that shotgun guy just reload? :psyduck:

And finding out I could move barrels during E1M7 was one of the best moments of the whole episode - i spent the next couple minutes arranging them so they blockaded traps and went my merry way throughout the level, leaving to blow them up at the end with a few rockets. :supaburn:
Try punching a barrel in Berserk mode... ;)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Vintersorg posted:

This is the best use of that emoticon. I found that out yesterday using the assault rifle and plinking guys off with headshots.

Shame that the shotgun and the rocket launcher don't have alt-fires. The ones for the plasma gun and the super shotgun basically turn those weapons into the tesla cannon and the sawed-off shotgun from Blood.

They should make the rocket launcher's alternate act like the Cyberdemon's bouncy rocket/grenades. As for the regular shotgun, I'm not sure what they could do with that. Incendiary rounds that use all seven shots at once?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ChuckDHead posted:

ghost wizard Hitler

Next forums name found.

I can't wait to try the new Brutal Doom. I'm having so much fun with this one. The alt fire thing... that's just... I love this mod so much.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Yodzilla posted:

As for the regular shotgun, I'm not sure what they could do with that.

Shoot + spin to reload, Terminator style.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Maxwell Adams posted:

Shoot + spin to reload, Terminator style.

Was that in Terminator? I know Max Payne 2 did it.

e: oh wait you mean spin the shotgun and reload, not spin in a circle whilst reloading. laffo

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Yodzilla posted:

Shame that the shotgun and the rocket launcher don't have alt-fires. The ones for the plasma gun and the super shotgun basically turn those weapons into the tesla cannon and the sawed-off shotgun from Blood.

They should make the rocket launcher's alternate act like the Cyberdemon's bouncy rocket/grenades. As for the regular shotgun, I'm not sure what they could do with that. Incendiary rounds that use all seven shots at once?

Maybe splash damage that is better at long range but does little damage?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
RL alt fire should just be a grenade that you can bounce around corners and stuff but doesnt go as far. Shotgun alt would be cool if it had a melee attack that hits them with the but of the shotgun or something.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
How exactly am I supposed to install brutal doom? The text file that came with the .pk3 and the website linked in the OP don't really say. I use GZdoom and usually run it through steam, if that matters. Is this just a matter of dumping the pk3 file somewhere in my doom directory? I think someone pretty much asked this on the last page but I still don't get it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zero Star posted:

Grabbing the Lost Souls out of the air is better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Tolain posted:

How exactly am I supposed to install brutal doom? The text file that came with the .pk3 and the website linked in the OP don't really say. I use GZdoom and usually run it through steam, if that matters. Is this just a matter of dumping the pk3 file somewhere in my doom directory? I think someone pretty much asked this on the last page but I still don't get it.

Just drag the Brutal Doom .pk3 file onto the gzdoom executable.

Also I can't believe how terrible the "city" levels of Doom 2 are. I remember being amazed by them back in the day since it was something kinda new but now I think they're the worst levels in the game.

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!

Tolain posted:

You can put the files in your gzdoom directory and then open up your zdoom-username.ini file and edit it like this to always load these files (obviously I'm loading more than just the brutal doom mod):

code:
# WAD files to always load. These are loaded after the IWAD but before
# any files added with -file. Place each file on its own line, preceded
# by Path=
[Global.Autoload]
Path=brightmaps.pk3
Path=lights.pk3
Path=BRUTALGZDOOM_V11.pk3
Path=BrutalDoomRegeneration.wad
Path=DoomMetal.wad
Path=DoomMetal2.wad
Path=AV.WAD

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If you're looking to play Marathon 1, I'd really recommend the Aleph One version over any of the others in the OP. It cleans up some of the rougher patches, adds some nifty little easter eggs, and most importantly it removes that bastard elevator puzzle from the level Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

What the butt? Do I have the wrong version of Brutal Doom if I get this error from Skull tag?

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "BRUTAL.pk3:marines" line 24:
"AVOIDMELEE" is an unknown flag

My internet sucks dick but I guess I'll start downloading it again.

edit: Never mind, I confused BRUTAL with Real Guns and thought the download was bigger. I hosed up and had the wrong version.

Hussar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 16, 2011

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Thanks, got brutal doom working and it's one of the most fun games I've played in years. It makes me realize how much I've grown to hate the cinematic style most games have taken lately. Just jumping in and killing hundreds of demons at a time is more fun than I remembered. I really love being able to shoot the double barrel shotgun one barrel at a time, but what is the chaingun's alt fire supposed to do?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zero Star posted:

You can still pick up barrels after berserk mode ends, too.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tolain posted:

but what is the chaingun's alt fire supposed to do?

It has no spin down time, and I think it's a bit more accurate. It seems stronger too, but that could just be the accuracy increase making more shots land. You just have to hit alt fire once, don't hold it down.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Vertigus posted:

You can still pick up barrels after berserk mode ends, too.
Berserk mode doesn't end. The red effect fades but the damage boost lasts for the entire level. That's the case in both vanilla AND Brutal Doom.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I guess the only way to get the MP40 in Brutal Doom is to cheat, huh?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Or to play Doom2's secret Wolfenstein level.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Completely forgot about that, heh!

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!
This is how you start a level in Brutal Doom. Also a duke boot in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmT2YEdWBRg

Also with the regen mod, you can really take a stupidly aggressive playstyle and not have to worry so much. Soooo fun

TastySauce fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 17, 2011

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Probably a dumb question, but anyone know of a mod to play Brutal Doom in 1920x1200 but have HUD elements be large enough to actually see? I'm using Skulltag.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

treat posted:

Or to play Doom2's secret Wolfenstein level.

This was honestly the hardest level of the game for me so far in Doom 2. There's no cover, it takes away your armor and health down to 100% when you start, and there's almost no health. Argh!

But how do you get the MP40 back once you switch to another weapon?

TastySauce posted:

This is how you start a level in Brutal Doom. Also a duke boot in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmT2YEdWBRg

What the hell is this graphics mod??

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!

Yodzilla posted:

This was honestly the hardest level of the game for me so far in Doom 2. There's no cover, it takes away your armor and health down to 100% when you start, and there's almost no health. Argh!

What the hell is this graphics mod??

What part are you talking about? I just include the two files that come with gzdoom and brutal doom. :)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Yodzilla posted:

8 key.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

XausF1 posted:

8 key.

:downs:

TastySauce posted:

What part are you talking about? I just include the two files that come with gzdoom and brutal doom. :)

Oh? For some reason it looked in the YouTube video like there was some cartoony cel-shaded filter applied to it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Oh? For some reason it looked in the YouTube video like there was some cartoony cel-shaded filter applied to it.

It's just some of the sprite smoothing stuff that I usually turn off. The youtube preview image looks really weird, though.

Has anyone actually redone the original monster sprites in a nice-looking way? I'd love to have some new hi-res sprites, although it would take a huge amount of work.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Essobie posted:

Probably a dumb question, but anyone know of a mod to play Brutal Doom in 1920x1200 but have HUD elements be large enough to actually see? I'm using Skulltag.

It has nothing to do with brutal doom, but skulltag itself. Go to something like display options, HUD settings, and play around with the text scaling setting.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Speaking of Skulltag, why the hell aren't you guys actually utilizing it for what it was meant to do? i.e. multiplayer

Or maybe I missed that bit in the thread?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yodzilla posted:

What there is, however, is an AI-controlled marine with a rocket launcher and immunity to his own splash damage near the start. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

Brutal Doom 0.11 is even better than previous versions just with little changes, the minigun's alt fire now makes sense, if you have over 100 health and armor, you can be a loving sentry gun with exelent accuracy. I changed cl_maxdecals from the default 1024 to 99999 and is ridiculous that you can paint a loving level RED :allears:.

Fake edit: They really improved how blood can splat the ceiling or close walls.

How do you change the maxdecals in the options menu aside from the console?