Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Oh, I'm not going to ignore it, don't worry about that. I'm way too frugal to spend money on something and not get everything I can out of it, even if it's basically Monopoly money with all my credits.

And it absolutely isn't the right attitude but I'm tired of people acting like the live with me and know what my day-to-day activities entail. Unless this semester goes incredibly swimmingly, or HBD requires far, far less time than I anticipate, I'm not going to have the time that I really want for it for at two more years when I graduate and I have no desire to continue to be hounded all that time.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Now that I only have two teams, I'm only capable of 0-2 or 2-0 updates, it seems

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

AlleyViper posted:

And it absolutely isn't the right attitude but I'm tired of people acting like the live with me and know what my day-to-day activities entail. Unless this semester goes incredibly swimmingly, or HBD requires far, far less time than I anticipate, I'm not going to have the time that I really want for it for at two more years when I graduate and I have no desire to continue to be hounded all that time.

Then I'll tell you right now not to do it, because you probably won't enjoy it. And I'm sorry that you feel pressured, but this really isn't the right way to go into it. Make sure you WANT to give it a try more than you want to shut people up, because even if you don't join, I think you've made your point and stance clear to those who may not have been 100% on it already.

+ And I see you've purchased a season already. If you decide to not do this, you can get the money back in site credit if you ticket customer support and tell them you bought the wrong thing or something.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Make sure you WANT to give it a try more than you want to shut people up

I absolutely do want to play, I've wanted to play for as long as we've been doing goon-heavy leagues, I just don't anticipate having the amount of time for it that I want. Think of it like wanting to sit down and watch a game, but you've got work to do and your girlfriend wants to talk about her day. You can still pay attention to the game and get the gist out of it while doing those other things but it's not going to be the same as if you just block out three hours to sit and really watch the game. I've avoided joining HBD because I want to sit and actually watch the game and not just get the gist of it.

I'm sure I'll be able to run a team as competently as I can, and it's entirely possible that I'll be able to commit the amount of time to it that I want to and putting this off as long as I have was unnecessary. I just hoped to wait and play when I knew for sure I could do all the things with HBD that I want to.

quote:

I think you've made your point and stance clear to those who may not have been 100% on it already.

I've been going through the same song and dance with the same people for ages now. This is nothing new.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 16, 2011

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Stop being nice TMB, we elected to you be in charge, now abuse that power :black101:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

First 6-0 WISC update :hellyeah:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

quote:

Missing picks from:
Sakensei
Tjefferson

What the hell, goons!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

AlleyViper posted:

What the hell, goons!

Yeah come on I want to see if I got all my lovely relievers and catchers

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

What the hell, goons!

Sent mine in a couple hours ago. Didn't think everyone would get them done so quickly!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Didn't think everyone would get them done so quickly!

I mentioned on IRC last night, this season should go faster than last because of all the goons involved. Specsman is still around and he is generally slow but at least we tend to be a pretty prompt bunch.

And then you two go and do this! Harrumph!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

InfuriatingInnings.jpg

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Mile High Stadium :hellyeah:
All triples all the time now

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Holy poo poo how did only one person go after Giambi or Sosa???

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
If I'm interested in partaking in a Hardball Dynasty, is it worth the 15 bucks to join a pubbie league? Or should I wait for there to be a new goon season? Would there be enough interest to start a second goon league?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Jeff Wiiver posted:

If I'm interested in partaking in a Hardball Dynasty, is it worth the 15 bucks to join a pubbie league? Or should I wait for there to be a new goon season? Would there be enough interest to start a second goon league?

The goon league just opened a few days ago, so it would be about three months. There are other leagues in which some of us play. There's nowhere near enough for a goon second league, we discussed that perhaps a year ago.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

There is the world Aaron that is at game 140 or so and has 4-5 goons in it if you want to wait. Probably another 2-3 weeks with playoffs before we roll.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Eh, I just bought into a pubbie league. Figured it'd be best to figure out the game first before I play with goons. About to start going through my roster, hopefully it isn't too awful. Any helpful tips for a first-time player?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Eh, I just bought into a pubbie league. Figured it'd be best to figure out the game first before I play with goons. About to start going through my roster, hopefully it isn't too awful. Any helpful tips for a first-time player?

Ignore overall and medical/training are very important. It keeps players from aging badly and keeps young players healthy.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Off the top of my head...

1. Don't trade for awhile, vets (especially in a public world) will try to rip off newbies badly. In fact, you may wanna run trades by us here, if possible (even if we can't see projections unless you screencap the cards).

2. Ignore projections on anyone who's more than 4 years pro. The majority of their growth is complete.

3. Power (for hitters) and control (for pitchers) reigns supreme. Splits are pretty important too, especially for pitchers, and especially the split versus righties.

and yes, like scrotos said, you can basically ignore overall. It gets inflated by things like durability, health and other ratings that are somewhat important but not as much as the overall rating weighs them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Haha I have no idea how long my ridiculous cobbled-together RC&C staff can keep it together for my ridiculous offense, but this is one of the more fun teams I've had in a while.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Wow, my team is god-awful. There are currently only three starting pitchers on my major league roster. I looked through my minor leagues and the top SP prospect has a control rating of THREE. He walked 160 batters in 153 innings last season in AAA. My line-up is decent, I have two guys who both hit 40+ HRs last season. What would be my best course of action? You guys recommended against trading, but I'm considering having a fire sale a la the Marlins after the 98 season and stock piling a poo poo load of prospects.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Well it does not sound like you have a lot to sell or build off of, so maybe build from the ground up and hit IFA hard. What team did you take?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Oh my other two starters are free agents so that didn't show up on my roster. Is there a way to link to my team here? Or would I have to screenshot it?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Oh my other two starters are free agents so that didn't show up on my roster. Is there a way to link to my team here? Or would I have to screenshot it?

if it is a public world just tell us the team name and world.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
World Name: Ichiro, Team Name: Pawtucket Greys

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Well glancing at your team

You got pretty good COFs and a 1B in hernadez, lomansney, and Sosa. Everything else offensive wise is very meh. Stone is ok at C.

Libererthal is good as a 2b/cf but he is drat expensive, great complement player to a championship team but not a key piece. Aquino can not play SS.

Pitching wise Berkman is a solid 2-4 (depend on the pitching depth of the world). Zach Sierra is a serviceable starter. Same with Shannon Young. So you have a great middle of your rotation there but no ace. Is there an ace in FA this year you could snag?

Your pen is a pile of garbage.

That gives you a good COF/1B serviceable 2B/Cf and great middle of the rotation on your ML staff but you need a 1st and 5th starters and pretty much a new 3B,SS another 2B/CF and a whole pen.

Let me look at the minors...

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 19, 2011

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Roy Keagle is not good but if you are going to pay him he mine as well be in your bullpen, he is better than anything you have up on the ML squad.

Diaz might survive the majors as a long a/5th starter with a pull 4 or 5 but I doubt it.

Douglas Homes would be a fine long man, your pen is looking up :)

Though Holmes/Keagle are not worth what they are being paid, move them if you can.

Davey Gonzalez looks promising (http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3980513) check what his IFA cost was in the international signings history.

Otherwise there is nothing there. So you got one maybe ok prospect and 3 meh RPs two of which are expensive as poo poo for their value.

Good luck.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

What draft pick do you have, is it protected? (15 or higher) Maybe play hard for Type As and try to win now.

But looking at the standings and other teams in the division/league I would try and sell and jump start a rebuild but none of those players you have are top tier to bring it the top flight prospects so I do not really know.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Thank you! I'm going to try and offload some of these guys and see what the FA market is like. Doesn't look like there is much for SP as far as free agents go, so I'll probably have to try and trade for one.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I have the third pick.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Yea rebuilding time, try and move for more prospects and get a couple good prospects, that with another high pick next year could make a solid core to start with. Make sure to go to 14/14 in high school/college scouting with the 3rd pick. Do that and snag a few solid IFAs and you could be good to go in 2-3 seasons.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks for all the help, now I just have to wait until they let me make all these moves.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Sure you help me kill time till I can leave work, so thank you :)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

That's hilarious that you joined Ichiro -- I was in that world last season but didn't really pay much attention and didn't renew.

This was my old team, now the Colorado Cowboys. That would've been great if you'd nabbed that team, somehow, since I really could've given you the lowdown on your roster and what to do. :)

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

nasboat posted:

That's hilarious that you joined Ichiro -- I was in that world last season but didn't really pay much attention and didn't renew.

This was my old team, now the Colorado Cowboys. That would've been great if you'd nabbed that team, somehow, since I really could've given you the lowdown on your roster and what to do. :)
Aw that would've been perfect. The team I selected was the last one available for the league (which explains it's current state).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Vlad and Griffey were both successfully drafted in the 3rd round :stare:

This league officially makes no sense.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Also those assholes denied me my Matt Williams.
I will now attempt to compile the most mediocre pitching the NL West has ever seen.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Just going to run three trades by you guys so I don't get grifted by dudes with 40+ previous seasons.

1. I give up Zach Sierra for Aramis Zorrilla, Esteban Uribe and 2 million in cash.

2. Not actually going to link to this one, because the dude offered me three pitchers for three prospects, and I'm basically looking for the exact opposite.

3. I give up Henry Berkman and 2 million in cash for Daryn Maduro and Allen Howell.

I'm not going to even really think about two, because, as I said before, I'm not interested in selling off my future for a mediocre present. Number one interests me, because Sierra seems expendable (I have no starting pitching right now, but with the 2 mil cash, I could sign a free agent to replace him pretty easily), and the two prospects seem decent. Number three I'm iffy on, seems like a grift. The two prospects aren't that great, and why am I giving up two mil?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Sierra is alright but you don't appear to be getting anything back for him.

Henry Berkman is really good. If you trade him, you want top prospects back. Those guys are not top prospects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah I didn't realize how good Berkman is. Another team just offered me Jayson Phillips and Douglas Hodges for him, which is a better offer, but not by much. I'm hoping to get some better offers soon.

• Locked thread