Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, I get the impression that Starks work great so long as they're actually in charge and sitting with most of the power (or whoever actually has the power doesn't really care what they get up to, I guess). Once they actually have to get realpolitiky, everything goes to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I said it in another thread and I'll say it here.

"Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy and Robert Strong." Calling it now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

Yeah, I get the impression that Starks work great so long as they're actually in charge and sitting with most of the power (or whoever actually has the power doesn't really care what they get up to, I guess). Once they actually have to get realpolitiky, everything goes to poo poo.

I think it has more to do with the type of politics being used. Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that the Starks seem to have the most loyalty from their bannermen. There are instanced like the Boltons and the Karstarks but one is super evil and the other at least had a valid reason for the betrayal. Compared to the flip-flopping that the Lannister, Baratheon and even Tully bannerman do over the course of the books the Starks seem to be running a pretty tight ship. You have the Manderly's trying to covertly win back the north for the Starks, and the mountain tribes yelling "we need to save Ned's girl!" None of the Lannister's loyal bannermen are trying to rush in and save Cersei. Her own uncle barely gives a poo poo.

Where the Starks start loving up is when the game becomes "honor" versus "back-stabbing treachery". When dealing with their own people who they know and rule justly and have done right by, everything seems to work out. When they go down to King's Landing to deal with the schemers and plotters they get circles run around them. I think with all of the aforementioned loyalty displayed in the last book, we are being set up for the Starks coming back stronger in the long run (well not stronger than they started, but relatively stronger than some of the other families).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, remember what happened to the last King in the North? :v:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Which Lannister bannerman flipflopped?

e; The Westerlings going over to the Starks was planned by Tywin.

e2; And people are drawing way to many assumptions about the families from what we're seeing today. Sure, the Starks that we see in the books generally appear to be good guys, but that doesn't mean that All Starks Ever have been honorable to a fault and overly trusting, nor have all Boltons for 3000 years been sociopaths etc..

vvv: Yeah, that's probably true, but in either case Sybelle Westerling was planning to go back to the Lannisters from the very start.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 16, 2011

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Kainser posted:

e; The Westerlings going over to the Starks was planned by Tywin.

e2; And people are drawing way to many assumptions about the families from what we're seeing today. Sure, the Starks that we see in the books generally appear to be good guys, but that doesn't mean that All Starks Ever have been honorable to a fault and trusted people easily.

I don't think the Westerlings thing was planned as much as the Westerlings flipped out once Robb knocked up their daughter and made a deal with Tywin so that he wouldn't destroy them a la the Reynes.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

roop posted:

And is it a coincidence that it's Robert Strong? Maybe it's not Gregor after all!

Oh man, that would be loving hysterical. Zombie King Robert retakes the Iron Throne.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kainser posted:

My fault, I was probably thinking of the Bloody Mummers, which obviously doesn't count anyway since they are sellswords. In retrospect we don't know a whole lot about their individual bannermen outside of the Cleganes (or else I am just blanking on them).

My point was more to counter the "the (current) Starks do alright if they have lots of power otherwise they suck at politics/ruling" argument. They seem like they inspire a lot of loyalty among their own bannermen and various people who they run across, and in the long run it seems like this is going to pay off. The Manderlies and the mountain tribes are going to great lengths to help a family which is on the verge of being wiped out, when they could just sit back and try to survive.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Of course, Manderly is also being forced to serve the people who killed his son, and would be ruled by the freakin' Boltons. It's not like gambling everything on the Starks is that insane given those circumstances.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I honestly wonder why Roose is keeping Ramsay around. There seems to be a lot of Northmen who are all "Eh, Roose is pretty bad but not bad enough to resist I guess, but his heir is loving insane :stare:".

It's not like he loves his son or anything.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 16, 2011

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Ramsay makes him look better by comparison, could be used as a bargaining chip in an emergency, and Roose himself is as bad or worse, but is better at managing PR. I'm sure raping Ramsay's mother under his father's corpse isn't the worse thing he's done, just the worst we've heard of.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I think with all of the aforementioned loyalty displayed in the last book, we are being set up for the Starks coming back stronger in the long run (well not stronger than they started, but relatively stronger than some of the other families).

A time of wolves, I guess

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

OperaMouse posted:

Bran is a magical loving tree. Of course they're coming back.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

JerkyBunion posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that Jojen saw something in a greendream that he really did not like? Meera says something about how he's depressed and wants to go home but the greendreams never lie. Seems like Bran's either going to get set up to become so powerful that he can change the predictions of the greendreams or, more fitting of Martin's writing, they're going to be stuck in the cave forever. Meera and Jojen will die there, and Bran will only influence the on goings of Westeros from whatever he can warg into from the cave.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

OperaMouse posted:

A Time For Wolves is so much more badass than A Dream Of Spring.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

JerkyBunion posted:

Y'know, I almost wish I had ventured into the bad thread when I was reading the first couple of books, because stuff like this would have had me think I was being hosed with. Pretty much everything from book 3+ is so detached from any kind of predictions I had that it would have been hilarious.

Also, I picked up volume 2 of the art of ASOIAF, it's not bad at all. I wish the first volume wasn't so stupidly priced everywhere. :mad:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr Crustacean posted:

A Time For Wolves is so much more badass than A Dream Of Spring.

Seriously. The only thing I can think of is that it sounds too specific to the Starks when he has introduced a lot of other characters since then. Plus maybe he decided he wanted to keep loving over the Starks even in the last book.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
A Time For Wolves The Winds of Winter will end with a feral Nymeria eating Arya while Arya desperately tries, and fails, to warg into her.

I only dislike 'The Winds of Winter' since it doesn't fit with the rest of the books, nor with the overarching title. I don't really care about A Time For Wolves.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

KillRoy posted:

All I can think of is Jaime with a claw hand screaming "I'm a monster!" And I can't stop laughing.

Great. Now I'm always gonna imagine Jaime pushing Bran out the window and saying "And THAT'S why you shouldn't climb towers"

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Kainser posted:

I honestly wonder why Roose is keeping Ramsay around. There seems to be a lot of Northmen who are all "Eh, Roose is pretty bad but not bad enough to resist I guess, but his heir is loving insane :stare:".

It's not like he loves his son or anything.

He straight up say that the reason he doesn't have Ramsay killed is because he (Roose) is too old, and if he gets his wife pregnant again he'll die before his son is a man grown. I can't remember if he says the Boltons have never had a boy lord, but I do know he says that he thinks a boy lord would be worse than Ramsay.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
He doesn't mention any precedent, just says something along the lines of a boy lord is the bane of any house. Honestly, I think Roose is just worried that a kid wouldn't meet the Dreadfort's psycho torture quota. He doesn't seem to disapprove of anything Ramsay does besides getting caught.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

bouncyman posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that Jojen saw something in a greendream that he really did not like? Meera says something about how he's depressed and wants to go home but the greendreams never lie. Seems like Bran's either going to get set up to become so powerful that he can change the predictions of the greendreams or, more fitting of Martin's writing, they're going to be stuck in the cave forever. Meera and Jojen will die there, and Bran will only influence the on goings of Westeros from whatever he can warg into from the cave.

Yeah I don't know about Meera, but I am pretty sure Jojen knows his time is limited now. He's never really specified where / when he knows he's going to die, just says that it's "not today" and now he doesn't say that anymore, so presumably this could be the right location.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Got that vibe too. I think he's just waiting for it to happen now.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Mogadishu posted:

He doesn't mention any precedent, just says something along the lines of a boy lord is the bane of any house.

Crazy lil' Rickon Stark is going to be Exhibit A to this rule of thumb.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
I think you mean mass-murdering invincible Warlord-King of the North Rickon Stark will be the exception that proves the rule. :colbert:

I'm just saying, Shaggydog don't take no poo poo.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Theoretically, without abdication, Winterfell would be ruled by a magical loving tree.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Just finished Dance last night, like almost everyone else a little disappointed with the Daenerys ending, but overall I thought the book was pretty drat good. Not Storm of Swords good, but still pretty awesome. I would have liked more Davos and more Jaime chapters, but what we got was pretty sweet.

In the final book the dragon riding team of Daenerys Aegon and Victarion burn up Zombie Jon and his invading horde of White Walkers. Everything is going well for a few years until Daenerys finally goes full Mad Queen and starts burning everyone to death. Best bros Rickon the Wolf and Tommen the goofy yet gallant pull a Ned and Robert and rebel. Bran wins the war by skinchanging into Drogon from thousands of miles away.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

So I avoided this thread and just finished the book. Why did Jon suddenly betray everyone? Like he was so carefull to do the honorable thing and not really betray his vows for the entire book, letting the wildlings pass was the right thing to do, and bolstering the watch an re-manning the castles was the best thing for the watch. The whole arc is about how just and careful he was being, then suddenly in the span of 2 pages he decides to forgo his vows, lead a wildling army to Winterfell, and prove everyone's invalid (up to the last page) suspicions.

With all he had lost, why did he turn his cloak just because Ramsey taunted him. It didn't make any sense, it was like GRRM just changed his mind at the last second. He didn't even explain why Jon did it, just said 'they talked for hours'. When you delve into a characters reasoning's and ideals for hundreds of pages, and then just pull a 180 suddenly with no thought put into it.

I don't know it seems stupid and not in the typical style for GRRM. How can you have a first person viewpoint with so much introspection turn out wrong?

---

Bill loves sandwiches, all his life he'd dreamt of having a sandwich. "I cant wait for that sandwich", Billl thought.

The waitress said, "What will it be Bill?"

"A salad please".

The last thing Bill thought as the knife entered his face was 'I hate sandwiches'.

Umph fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 17, 2011

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Umph posted:

:words:

I don't know it seems so stupid.

Welcome to the ADWD thread! You'll fit in just fine here.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Umph posted:

Why did Jon suddenly betray everyone? Like he was so carefull to do the honorable thing and not really betray his vows for the entire book

When you ask it so blatantly I think it becomes sort of clear that GRRM was up to something here.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I don't know. I think there's at least some argument to be made that Ramsay's letter constituted an attack on the watch and the realm. After all, the Watch is sworn to protect the realms of men. It's kind of like in a spy novel, when the corrupt President orders the spy to kill the valiant bureaucrat who uncovered the plot to sell the nation to the wall street bankers (some of this may be true), and the spy turns, and just before he shoots the President who is looking at him like WTF he says, "All enemies, foreign... and domestic." And then he sits down, next to the corpse of the now-dead president, reaches for a glass of scotch, and just as he's about to make another quip, he knocks the glass to the floor with his solid gold hand. Foiled again!

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

When you ask it so blatantly I think it becomes sort of clear that GRRM was up to something here.

God damnit Ill go re-read it

But, John was surprised and in pain so surely he didn't know he was being stabbed before hand. Bowen was crying so surely it wasn't an act, and uh.. gently caress I don't know, I hate people who instantly recognize weird plot tricks. I bet it's obvious to everyone but me in the thread that it was a fake out right?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Umph posted:

God damnit Ill go re-read it

But, John was surprised and in pain so surely he didn't know he was being stabbed before hand. Bowen was crying so surely it wasn't an act, and uh.. gently caress I don't know, I hate people who instantly recognize weird plot tricks. I bet it's obvious to everyone but me in the thread that it was a fake out right?

It almost has to be. There's too much foreshadowing of the whole warging-on-death thing, Melisandre's visions, Jon conveniently being the 998th commander of the Watch (:10bux: says someone else becomes 999 and then he mysteriously reappears to become the 1000th), and a number of other things.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
I'm glad that GRRM is sparing no part of Westeros. Aegon is closing in on one end, and the ironborn are ravaging the other. The southlands are so hosed. Here's hoping that Dorne descends into civil war. I also hope he picks up that thread he dangled in the first book--Tyrion armed all those hill clans, and I hope they take out the Vale.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I'm rereading ASoS and they're already loving over the Vale. You just don't hear as much about it because it's so secluded.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

oogyboogs posted:

I'm glad that GRRM is sparing no part of Westeros. Aegon is closing in on one end, and the ironborn are ravaging the other. The southlands are so hosed. Here's hoping that Dorne descends into civil war. I also hope he picks up that thread he dangled in the first book--Tyrion armed all those hill clans, and I hope they take out the Vale.

Why would Dorne descend into civil war? They're all on the same page now.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Just finished Adwd and my god what a clusterfuck. All in all it's a very incoherent and confusing book.

Maybe I'm dumb, but there are a number of character plot lines I can't make sense of in my head:

- Melisandre. Didn't she want to summon a dragon? Didn't she need royal blood for that? Because at some point she seems to forget. She doesn't prevent Edric Storm from leaving Dragonstone. She doesn't kill Mance or use his blood, instead she sends him to, huhhhhhhh. And Martin seems uncertain about her: sometimes she looks sneaky but honestly willing to help Jon, other times she's evil and just doesn't give a gently caress, and occasionally she just looks dumb misinterpreting her visions while the reader knows what is actually going on (a girl on a grey horse).

- Quentyn Martell. Who cares? Pages and pages and pages of descriptions of the Elephant Taxis and his uninteresting companions, only to make him die like an idiot. Worse, we know (or imagine) that his quest is pointless from the start, and Martin doesn't help by describing him as charmless and bland as often as he fuckin possibly can.

- Jon Snow. Ah, the much honored Stark tradition of ignoring your direwolf when he flips the gently caress out. Anyone seeing a trend here?

- Daenerys. She goes in and out of character the whole book. At the beginning she's fed up with Meereen and wants to leave, but when she's offered ships to Westeros (her dream since she was a child) she refuses out of nowhere. A lame, lame "the author hasn't decided what she's gonna do next yet" moment if you ask me. She stays and shows some erratic behavior (I don't think I ever found Daenerys annoying before, but thanks Martin), until Drogon shows up and she flies away. Seriously?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

As much as I like the Aegon Targaryen plotline, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a little upset that this kid comes out of loving nowhere without any kind of hints in the previous book that Rhaegar's son (Aegon, not Jon) isn't dead. Hey come to think of it, Rhaegar's son Aegon didn't die, maybe Jon Snow won't either.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I enjoyed reading it but looking back it had some pretty glaring flaws and I think it's a sign that he's lost his direction. I doubt we'll be seeing any new content if it took him this long to write a book that goes nowhere. Like, the book was strong but the last 4 chapters just loving ruined it.

If I had been GRRMS editor:

-Quenton shouldn't have have had chapters. Just write him into the story from Dannys perspective. gently caress off with the bluballs on the Wintefell battle~ What a loving rear end in a top hat that we get no resolution whatsoever on a battle they build up the entire book. And Danny... Barristan leads the army into the camps, and when all looks lost, BAM~ Danny comes rollin up on Drago and fire/blood.

Instead we get an arc from nowhere to nowhere, a battle we don't see that is built up over 10 years of books, and danny flopping around in a stream pooing herself. That's right, the major ending conflict after Danny tames Drago is she gets a tummy ache from some berries and then rolls around for a few hours. I almost wish the book hadn't come out.

Paino posted:

(I don't think I ever found Daenerys annoying before, but thanks Martin)

Even Tyrion speands the whole book going somewhere but never getting there. It's nice to know he had a happy childhood of tumbling and somersaulting apparently. Tyrion falling off a pig sums up the whole book really. Every character in the book tries and fails to do something.

Ok ill stop, I did enjoy it untill the end. gently caress you grrm.

Umph fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Jon's decision is perfectly understandable. His internal thoughts about going south aren't about the watch or protecting them, it's about arya. The dudes been watching his family die from afar for 5 books now. Now he's given a chance to save the sister he thought was dead, the one he was closest to, the last as far as he knows. This time it isn't happening thousands of miles away or before he knows about it, and there aren't armies and other forces that can intervene anymore. With Stannis "dead", he's the only person left who can do anything. The guy just reached his limit.