Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is the 128GB SSD too. I can't imagine how someone would get by with the 64GB one. It seems ludicrous.

I have 64GB in my 11" 2010 Air. All my music and media is on my NAS. I have 45GB free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah dude get your poo poo on the cloud.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

On a tangentially related note, I've had the MBA for about 2 days and already begun hyperventilating about the SSD space on it. As of migrating all of my music and putting XCode, Steam/TF2, and a few small apps on the thing (Evernote, Skype, etc), I've got about 29 GB left.

Found your problems. I have a 500GB HDD in my MBP, and in the course of a year, I still only have 80GB used (which kind of surprises me, considering how obnoxiously huge some apps are). That includes various downloads, my Dropbox folder, etc.

You have to make sacrifices on a SSD right now, and for most of us that means our media and other items suited for bulk storage get the mechanical HDD/NAS treatment. Install all your critical applications first, then take another look at your SSD and see what you could conceivably fit on there whilst still maintaining a decent amount of room.

Hell, my Hackintosh Mini 9 lived on a 16GB SSD with ~2GB free at all times, and that was with Office & friends. I had a 16GB SD card for anything else.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know if i could daisychain into a thunderbolt display with a 24" Dell LCD panel I have, using a Mini DP to DVI adapter?

every
Apr 24, 2008

I've been looking at OWC's data doubler thing. I know a few of you have used it...what is the consensus? I was considering using a new 128 GB SSD as my primary and my existing stock 500GB as a slave. Should I get the SSD through one of OWC's packages? Are there superior SSDs that I should use instead?

Thanks for any help.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I told myself I wasn't going to look up what SSD + panel came in my new air but I have no self control, Samsung SSD and panel. The panel looks a little better than my old air, but it's not a huge difference.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Samsung SSD and panel.
:hfive: Samsung/Samsung buddy!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

:hfive: Samsung/Samsung buddy!

:argh: Toshiba/LG inferiority! :smith:

On an :unsmith: note, I finally got around to putting Flash on my 13" MBA last night. I was hesitant at first- I was concerned about battery life and runaway processes, but eventually decided I already have an iPad for Flash-free browsing so my laptop should sack up for everything else.

Watched some 1080P videos on Youtube at about 75% brightness. Anyone who's sperg-worried about not hitting Samsung/Samsung supremacy, let me tell you that even the (arguably) worst 13" MBA multimedia experience is still totally awesome all things considered.

Concept Theory
Aug 10, 2003
I have had my 13" air for a few days now, I'm new to mac and I love it to death, best computer I've ever owned. I was just wondering about if I should worry about the temp's getting up there when I play videos on netflix or other sites. It got to around 200deg F last night and I just wanted to know if this temp was to much for the computer to handle. It shot up to around 200 when watching, but then lowered to around 180 after a few minutes into the show.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Will a 20" iMac that takes DDR800 ram recognize a 4gb DIMM or do I need to stick with 2x2GB?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just put my OWC SSD into my mini, and it was super easy. Remove fan, RAM, fan cowling, antenna shield, and hard drive, pop the logic board out just a cm or so, and the new drive slides right in. I didnt bother with grommets or anything after seeing how tightly the thing fits when put together, the top drive doesn't move at all.

If only I had created a full install stick beforehand...internet recovery is sloooooow.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Concept Theory posted:

I have had my 13" air for a few days now, I'm new to mac and I love it to death, best computer I've ever owned. I was just wondering about if I should worry about the temp's getting up there when I play videos on netflix or other sites. It got to around 200deg F last night and I just wanted to know if this temp was to much for the computer to handle. It shot up to around 200 when watching, but then lowered to around 180 after a few minutes into the show.

I mean, at ~ 94 C that's hot... but I think still slightly within the CPU's thermal safety limits. From reviews on the Air the 180 F/ ~ 82 C temperature seems high for higher-performance usage, as Anand's gaming temperature on the Airs were in the ~ 40 C range.

Edit - Yep, looks like Intel lists the max tjunction as 100 C for the i5-2557 used in the stock 2011 13" MBA.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 16, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

every posted:

I've been looking at OWC's data doubler thing. I know a few of you have used it...what is the consensus? I was considering using a new 128 GB SSD as my primary and my existing stock 500GB as a slave. Should I get the SSD through one of OWC's packages? Are there superior SSDs that I should use instead?

Thanks for any help.

Nothing wrong with OWC's stuff but there are always cheaper options.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Alright I'm replacing the HDD in my 13 MBP with an SSD. I'm going big because I just got a nice bonus at work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147064 Any problems at all with that SSD?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KidDynamite posted:

Alright I'm replacing the HDD in my 13 MBP with an SSD. I'm going big because I just got a nice bonus at work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147064 Any problems at all with that SSD?

Samsung makes a great drive. Enjoy.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

That's the drive Apple uses, except with slightly tweaked firmware.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I can assume the same about the 128GB one as well? Going to pick one up for my lady since she's nice to me.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I picked up one of the new 13" MBAs last weekend. I'm loving the poo poo out of it, really great piece of hardware. Now that I've installed Win7 on it, can I completely blow away the OSX partition or is there some reason I might need to boot back into it in the future? Future bootcamp driver updates or something?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

xamphear posted:

I picked up one of the new 13" MBAs last weekend. I'm loving the poo poo out of it, really great piece of hardware. Now that I've installed Win7 on it, can I completely blow away the OSX partition or is there some reason I might need to boot back into it in the future? Future bootcamp driver updates or something?

You won't be able to download or install new EFI / firmware updates without a Mac OS X partition.

Furthermore, if it ever needs servicing, and you don't reformat the SSD and put Mac OS X back on, Apple techs will refuse to work on it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Binary Badger posted:

You won't be able to download or install new EFI / firmware updates without a Mac OS X partition.

Furthermore, if it ever needs servicing, and you don't reformat the SSD and put Mac OS X back on, Apple techs will refuse to work on it.

Huh, okay. I guess I don't need the extra 14 gigs that badly. Thanks for the info.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

That's the drive Apple uses, except with slightly tweaked firmware.

I'm guessing the "slightly tweaked firmware" also means that the consumer drive he linked wouldn't have TRIM enabled by default upon installation?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I'm guessing the "slightly tweaked firmware" also means that the consumer drive he linked wouldn't have TRIM enabled by default upon installation?
Correct.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Correct.

I can understand why Apple doesn't (currently) provide TRIM support for other controllers/drives, such as the SandForce controllers. It's annoying though that what is nearly an identical consumer drive to what they offer can't have TRIM support though. Hopefully someday...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Putting the SSD in my iMac was the best decision ever. Pain in my rear end but gently caress does this own. Also my fans have been working properly all day and I got the hair out of the glass and put the EMI tape back on. :toot:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

It's annoying though that what is nearly an identical consumer drive to what they offer can't have TRIM support though.
Apple enables TRIM on drives that they've qual'd. The changes in firmware for Apple drives go beyond just a different model string, and while TRIM is part of the SATA spec and (in theory) should behave the same across all drives, the reliability and performance from different SSDs is a complete crapshoot right now. I can understand why Apple only feels comfortable enabling TRIM on hardware that they've tested.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SourKraut posted:

I can understand why Apple doesn't (currently) provide TRIM support for other controllers/drives, such as the SandForce controllers. It's annoying though that what is nearly an identical consumer drive to what they offer can't have TRIM support though. Hopefully someday...

Heh, the latest SandForce drives are nowhere near reliable enough for Apple to even consider for OEM drives. Anand finally managed to replicate the BSOD issue that's been cropping up, and even legendary Intel made another FW boo-boo on their 320 series.

Hell, if Apple were looking at SandForce, we'd all benefit because they'd have to meet Apple quality standards instead of :spergin: enthusiast customer standards, aka, beta HW testers.

I mean personally, I never had serious issues (data loss) with my OCZ drives, but my new Vertex 3 MI drive did BSOD a few times before I was able to fix it (a mixture of turning off SSC and using a much, much nicer cable). This would be unacceptable for Apple, everything should just turn on and work with the inside workings being :iiam:

e: so, give me like 4 days and I'll probably here bitching about problems with OS X and my Vertex 2 :shepface:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Looks like 10.7.1 is out, I'm gonna give it a day to see if anybody has crazy issues like last time.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Apple enables TRIM on drives that they've qual'd. The changes in firmware for Apple drives go beyond just a different model string, and while TRIM is part of the SATA spec and (in theory) should behave the same across all drives, the reliability and performance from different SSDs is a complete crapshoot right now. I can understand why Apple only feels comfortable enabling TRIM on hardware that they've tested.

movax posted:

Heh, the latest SandForce drives are nowhere near reliable enough for Apple to even consider for OEM drives. Anand finally managed to replicate the BSOD issue that's been cropping up, and even legendary Intel made another FW boo-boo on their 320 series.

Yeah, reasons like these are why I can understand the reason for TRIM not being fully supported currently across all drives. It's just frustrating because I have the option of getting a 256 GB Plextor SSD for $50 that uses the same Marvell controller that's found in the Crucial C300/m4 (and I think the Intel 320 series?), but apparently from reviews I've read, without TRIM enabled in the OS the drives suffer from rather bad performance degradation quickly due to infrequently doing garbage collection, while TRIM helps to remedy it when available.

Oh well, back to my plans for getting a Scorpio Black 500 GB :sad:

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 16, 2011

every
Apr 24, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Nothing wrong with OWC's stuff but there are always cheaper options.

I was thinking it might be cheaper overall since I was planning on getting the data doubler + SSD in a package. What would be some recommended drives to use instead? Is there a company that makes a data doubler besides OWC? Thanks again!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

every posted:

I was thinking it might be cheaper overall since I was planning on getting the data doubler + SSD in a package. What would be some recommended drives to use instead? Is there a company that makes a data doubler besides OWC? Thanks again!

Plenty of imitations out there, eBay is probably cheapest. And just use whatever drive is the current favorite and on sale at NewEgg or something.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

without TRIM enabled in the OS the drives suffer from rather bad performance degradation quickly due to infrequently doing garbage collection, while TRIM helps to remedy it when available.
Just use TRIM Enabler. I haven't heard of any disasters from people that have used it. As long as reliable backups are in place, I'd have no hesitation to try it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

every posted:

There's this from MCE for $20 more. I haven't checked for any others.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

There's this from MCE for $20 more. I haven't checked for any others.

Those are the two that are in the OP. When I looked them up, MCE was still offering a free enclosure for your SuperDrive. Both offered a toolkit with there offerings as well (spudger + screwdrivers + etc).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Just use TRIM Enabler. I haven't heard of any disasters from people that have used it. As long as reliable backups are in place, I'd have no hesitation to try it.

Yeah I could try that. I was thinking of using the stock HDD for TM backups anyway (that I could keep with me).

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Does Amazon not sell a MBP with high-res screen, or am I just not searching right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doc Faustus posted:

Does Amazon not sell a MBP with high-res screen, or am I just not searching right?
Nope. It's not a stock configuration so they don't carry it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Just posting to say that MagSafe saved my laptop (again) after I tripped over the power cord (again).

On one side, I'm glad we have it, on the other, it'd be nice if others could use it too, but alas, patents.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The new MagSafes kick rear end over the older ones. Having the cable lay flush with the edge of the laptop rather than perpendicular to it saves so much wear and tear it makes me want to punch the guy who designed the first MagSafes.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

movax posted:

Just posting to say that MagSafe saved my laptop (again) after I tripped over the power cord (again).

MagSafe saved my 1st-gen macbook when it was only minutes old. I unboxed it, left the room for a minute, and in that time my mom accidentally kicked the cord out. I came back and found her disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable, looking amazed. It was adorable. "I kicked the cord and I thought I had broken it, but look! It's a magnet!" :3:

Love you, Mom. Love you, MagSafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

but alas, patents.

For only another 12 years or so though, right?