Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saharan Fiend posted:

It's been awhile since I read any of the Quinlan Vos republic comics, but I'm pretty sure you could tell them apart from humans by looking at their faces. Their noses are just way larger than normal humans. From a distance though, or from behind them, they look pretty much identical.

Ah, right then, thanks. Guess I'll do what the guy below you said and get some plastic surgery. or masquerade as a bounty hunter. The reason I'm confsed is because the Legacy of the Force comics (what? Cade Skywalker's cool, and Imperial Knights are loving boss) has a couple of very human-looking Anzati.

Powered Descent posted:

This dude from Episode IV is apparently an Anzat.

Nothing a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon couldn't fix.

Vastly more info: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anzat

That guy's name is Dannik Jerriko, and his story's one of the better ones in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Looks like Kevin Bacon in the thumbnail.

Saharan Fiend
Apr 19, 2009

When barkless
hounds ruled
the world...

CommissarMega posted:

what? Cade Skywalker's cool, and Imperial Knights are loving boss

No argument from me.

CommissarMega posted:

has a couple of very human-looking Anzati.

Wait what? Where were these in Legacy?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saharan Fiend posted:

Wait what? Where were these in Legacy?

They might have been in Legacy: War, I can't remember. Story spoilers below:

Basically, Gunner Yage and Morrigan Corde are sent to hunt down Cade on Tatooine (Cade's been hiding out there while loving up Black Sun ops). Shenanigans happen, Cade meets Gunner, and Black Sun sends 3 assassins out for the two siblings. Two of those assassins are Anzati, and they look very human, save for the cheektacles.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CommissarMega posted:

Cade Skywalker's cool, and Imperial Knights are loving boss

No he isn't. And no they aren't.

Saharan Fiend
Apr 19, 2009

When barkless
hounds ruled
the world...

arioch posted:

No he isn't. And no they aren't.

Why the hate? I always thought Cade was cool, at least for breaking out of the monotony of "I must be 100% light side" or "I must be 100% dark side."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Saharan Fiend posted:

Why the hate? I always thought Cade was cool, at least for breaking out of the monotony of "I must be 100% light side" or "I must be 100% dark side."

Traitor did that really well already. Until they decided, nope, gonna make Jacen 100% dark side.

Cade is some edgy late-90s graphic novel stereotype. And he's still 100% light side with a gimmick. It's like all those "grey Jedi" standing around going "nope I'm not light or dark" and just as stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

arioch posted:

Cade is some edgy late-90s graphic novel stereotype.

Not really seeing what you're getting at here, unless you're mashing wildly disparate cliches from the 80s to the modern day together in your head.

quote:

And he's still 100% light side with a gimmick. It's like all those "grey Jedi" standing around going "nope I'm not light or dark" and just as stupid.

Deliberately ignores the dying wishes of people, does hard drugs, takes joy in murder, tortures people, has sex with Sith... Yeah, that all sounds light side.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

Not really seeing what you're getting at here, unless you're mashing wildly disparate cliches from the 80s to the modern day together in your head.

Ah yes, truly the greatest of characters. Pardon my mistake.

quote:

Deliberately ignores the dying wishes of people, does hard drugs, takes joy in murder, tortures people, has sex with Sith... Yeah, that all sounds light side.

1) saving lives vs. wish for death is an actual moral and ethical quandary
2) who gives a gently caress if he hurts himself
3) taking pleasure in a "righteous kill" isn't a failure solely limited to mustache-twirling dark siders
4) topical social commentary right there
5) who gives a gently caress if he fucks a space goat, or a space otter

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I guess if you literally think just because in a comic book that was printed once upon a time that you could take some kind of magical sith poison and become a dark sider, then you should become sith if you gently caress one, yeah, that makes sense.

Christ.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kids, remember to use a condom, otherwise YOU might be the next one to get blown up when you battlestation explodes around you!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
This is some unbelievable superstitious poo poo here. Cade hosed a Sith woman, thus his lightside essence has been drained out of his body, to be filled by the dark side of the Force. Thus,

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

arioch posted:

This is some unbelievable superstitious poo poo here. Cade hosed a Sith woman, thus his lightside essence has been drained out of his body, to be filled by the dark side of the Force. Thus,

People say that about sex in real life religions too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Oh no! I'm a muslim-jew-catholic-satanist(drat you goth period)-buddhist-atheist!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BonHair posted:

Oh no! I'm a muslim-jew-catholic-satanist(drat you goth period)-buddhist-atheist!

Looks like you won't be having sex with any siths. :smug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, I just said I thought Cade was cool, not groundbreaking. And Imperial Knights have awesome armour. That's it; cool factor, nothing more.

Not to mention a great place to play a campaign in, but that's another story.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cade sounds like Holly Hunter from Saving Grace. Or any woman who plays the lead in a "RAWR I'M A FEMALE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER WHO DOES GOOD BUT HAS SELF-DESTRUCTIVE HABITS RAWR TV" show.

quote:

Cade is some edgy late-90s graphic novel stereotype. And he's still 100% light side with a gimmick. It's like all those "grey Jedi" standing around going "nope I'm not light or dark" and just as stupid.

I hate "grey Jedis" because it seems like every writer out there believes that it's a grey Jedi's job to just say "...or is it?!" while scratching their rear end or just being whiny dicks.

Qui-Gon was considered grey, not because he did that annoying rear end "I'm not good or bad!" double-talk, but because he rejected the Jedi Code. He was as in-your-face light as you could get. The movies did nothing to indicate that there is this Unifying Force where light and dark are two sides of a crystal bullshit. The movies made it clear, dark side fucks up and unbalances the Force, the Jedi Council were a bunch of douches, and the only ones who had it right were Qui-Gon and ultimately Luke.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 16, 2011

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

angrylinuxgeek posted:

heh, there is already controversy over the presentation of the blu-rays.

from the trailer here:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/234525/star-wars-the-complete-sagaexclusive-trailer.html

everybody flip out!!! :munch:

Bleh. I guess there was no new dedicated re-master specifically for the Blu-ray release. They're just re-using the partially-botched master they created for the previous DVD release, complete with all its weird color timings/corrections. So if you've seen the movies in HD on Cinemax (a few years ago) or SpikeTV, you likely know just how the Blu-rays will look.

I am curious if they did anything at all different with The Phantom Menace or used the existing master. It had, by far, the worst HD transfer of the prequels and looked very out of place compared to the picture quality of the other films.

With the release now a month away, advance reviews should start appearing soon. Let the nerd rage continue!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sith Happens posted:

Bleh. I guess there was no new dedicated re-master specifically for the Blu-ray release. They're just re-using the partially-botched master they created for the previous DVD release, complete with all its weird color timings/corrections. So if you've seen the movies in HD on Cinemax (a few years ago) or SpikeTV, you likely know just how the Blu-rays will look.

I am curious if they did anything at all different with The Phantom Menace or used the existing master. It had, by far, the worst HD transfer of the prequels and looked very out of place compared to the picture quality of the other films.

With the release now a month away, advance reviews should start appearing soon. Let the nerd rage continue!

What's too bad is that DVDs don't look so great in HDTVs anyway so you're pretty much forced to buy them unless you're using an older or smaller TV. So it's not even about buying it as the latest and greatest, but about parity in quality so it doesn't look like rear end.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I was really hoping they'd fix the color correction this time given what a botched job it was on the DVDs. I guess we're gonna get more of sabers phasing through each other again.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

So, I am trying to model a TIE fighter with an interior. Is that hexagon a window? Please help.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I always thought that was where the engine was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

angrylinuxgeek posted:

I always thought that was where the engine was.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where the engine is, and the window/cockpit is on the opposite side.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I think the engines are the red thingies. TIE standing for Twin Ion Engine and all.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
It's cool how pilots' field of vision is severely impaired by TIE fighter wings. That's a cool thing about Star Wars.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's the sound port.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Van Dis posted:

It's cool how pilots' field of vision is severely impaired by TIE fighter wings. That's a cool thing about Star Wars.
Between the wings, the tiny round windshield, and the stormtrooper helmets they have to wear, it's kind of amazing they're able to shoot anyone down at all. The Empire's finest.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The pilots use computers for their targetting, though, they don't need vision.

Even if the targetting systems appear to be red vector graphics from Commodores.

Palpatine must REALLY not give them much of a budget.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Mister Roboto posted:

Gotta stretch the budget to make up for all the exploded superweapons.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

The pilots use computers for their targetting, though, they don't need vision.

Even if the targetting systems appear to be red vector graphics from Commodores.

How are TIE pilots gonna see me cruise up next to their fighters in my Y-wing, give them a smug grin, and flip them off as I blast into hyperspace? The wings are in the way. These science-fictional outer space crafts are so poorly thought-out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Van Dis posted:

How are TIE pilots gonna see me cruise up next to their fighters in my Y-wing, give them a smug grin, and flip them off as I blast into hyperspace? The wings are in the way. These science-fictional outer space crafts are so poorly thought-out.

The worst one is Dash Rendars Outrider. it has all the engines on one side. In space that won't really matter I guess, but in atmosphere it will make the craft so inherently unstable...ugh.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Van Dis posted:

They had other benefits in mind for the design.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
That is clearly not a TIE fighter. Stay on target.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I had a TIE Fighter model kit when I was a kid. That back port came with a little clear plastic piece just like the one for the front. So based on that, it's a window.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Hazo posted:

I had a TIE Fighter model kit when I was a kid. That back port came with a little clear plastic piece just like the one for the front. So based on that, it's a window.

Or if you want a more "canon" reference, look over the TIE pilot's shoulder in ANH.

A little blurry in that shot, but watching the video it's clearly a star field back there.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

that's the top hatch isn't it?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

angrylinuxgeek posted:

that's the top hatch isn't it?

It's here at about the 1:04 mark. Looks like the rear of the cockpit to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIqfHI0hQY

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I wonder if there is a backstory to that TIE pilot...maybe he helped steal the Death Star plans

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

It's here at about the 1:04 mark. Looks like the rear of the cockpit to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIqfHI0hQY

I'm pretty sure it's just a goofy angle. This is what I'm thinking of:

On top of the ships you can see the hatch with the slim windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

My pet hate is how nearly everyone incorrectly quotes Darth Vader revealing himself to be the father of Luke.