Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Does anyone know if there's been a schedule released for ADCC yet?

I've bought tickets for both days but think I'm only going to be able to make one or the other now.

Just wondering which would be best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The second day will have the medal rounds plus the absolute and the first day will have the favorites styling all over the unknown dudes.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Who Gotch Ya posted:

You have to be mounted on the guy with his back facing you and then you get 4 points. I guess to discourage giving your back and encourage hip escaping back to guard. My instructor is also a referee at every major IBJJF tournament and he teaches this when going over how points are scored.

do you have pictures? I am still confused on the scoring differentiation between having the back and then having the back + hooks. Do you get 8 points at once if you take their back with hooks?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
A short video from the Ultimate Absolute NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go6RKh5jmvk

Rob will be running another one in February for the top lightweights (155 and under)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 6, 2011

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Apparently my instructor has known about this for a while (we're a JJM affiliate school), but wasn't allowed to say anything until it was all finalized. Just found out that Jean-Jacques Machado vs. Ricardo De La Riva is set for November in Rio de Janeiro. Should be pretty fun.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Xguard86 posted:

do you have pictures? I am still confused on the scoring differentiation between having the back and then having the back + hooks. Do you get 8 points at once if you take their back with hooks?

I think it's only if you were mounted on someone and they spun completely around and laid prone with their face/chest/hips flat on the ground.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Xguard86 posted:

Nah if you take their back with hooks you get 4 points.

If you're mounted on their back with their hips facing the floor, no hooks, you get 4 points (after holding the position for 3 seconds like any other position)

It's just mount but they're facing the floor.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

If you're mounted on their back with their hips facing the floor, no hooks, you get 4 points (after holding the position for 3 seconds like any other position)

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but they have to be flattened out so your knees touch the ground, right?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Fleshpeg posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but they have to be flattened out so your knees touch the ground, right?

Yeah it's full back mount not just a ride or them doing the Sakuraba

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
oh ok. That actually makes sense.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone in the UK still fancy going to ADCC in Nottingham? I'm not going to be able to make the Saturday 24th, so have 3 tickets spare.

Bought them for £25 each plus booking fee but they're yours for £15 each if you want them.

Block 15 (Seating Plan)

If no one shows interest in a couple of days, I'll flog them on ebay.

Mods, hope I'm OK to do this here?.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

Anyone in the UK still fancy going to ADCC in Nottingham? I'm not going to be able to make the Saturday 24th, so have 3 tickets spare.

Bought them for £25 each plus booking fee but they're yours for £15 each if you want them.

Block 15 (Seating Plan)

If no one shows interest in a couple of days, I'll flog them on ebay.

Mods, hope I'm OK to do this here?.

I think technically you should make an SA-Mart thread and link it here, but I can't imagine anybody who doesn't already read this thread would be interested, so eh.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
I can do that. Ain't no thang.

EDIT: Oh no I can't cause I haven't been registered 7 months.

SimonNotGarfunkel fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 10, 2011

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIcF4qnZU0s

:stare:

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
There's a bunch of videos from the Ultimate Absolute thing that Yuns was talking about earlier

http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateAbsolute

I've only watched a few matches but there's a lot of slick grappling going on

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Any of you guys use mats at home? I'm doing research on getting one.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Just buy the mats that come in slotted segments and save yourself the hassle of getting a real one fitted to your room's spec. They're cheap and soft enough to roll on.

edit:
I found some here http://www.greatmats.com/products/martial-arts-mats-judo.php but I know I've seen them around for less than that per mat.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Holy moly, I just found this:

http://stores.ebay.com/Dollamur-Wrestling-Mats/Super-Value-/_i.html?_fsub=14&_sid=240800595&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

You don't get to choose the color but the price is awesome for an 8'x6' area of brand new mats. These flex-roll dollamur mats are what they use in my gym. They're pretty nice.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I got my purple last night from Jean Jacques Machado.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

dokomoy posted:

Congrats!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Congrats. Please enjoy the next few months of every blue belt rolling approximately 50% harder when they go with you.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

dokomoy posted:

Wow man! Congratulations! That's fantastic. :)

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

dokomoy posted:

Awesome! Congratulations!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

dokomoy posted:

Congrats!

fatherdog posted:

Congrats. Please enjoy the next few months of every blue belt rolling approximately 50% harder when they go with you.
This is so so true. When I got my purple, blues starting gunning for me like they were going to get their purple by tapping me. There was at least one guy a class who was rolling like it was the finals of the mundials. When I got my brown though, pretty much no one was gunning for me.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Thanks guys!

Also, while I fully expected some of the blue belts to come after me, I was surprised by how many white belts did as well.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

dokomoy posted:

Congrats sir but people are going to be attempting to murder you a bunch. I suggest covering yourself indeer urine.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This is the thing I like about BJJ. I guess since there isn't as much immediate danger when guys are confirmed as good by getting a belt all the lower guys will go at you. In boxing you win the gloves or something and the lower guys will spar with you like a deer in headlights.

Also congrats dokomoy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

That's why you have to take those guys and knee ride the poo poo out of them, plus any other painful position you can find. No submission, just 5 minutes of discomfort.

Or, Pull side control and play only defense for the whole match. The smarter guys start to feel really stupid when they're trying as hard as they can and all you do is escape and then jump right under them. The less perceptive dudes: see #1

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

Xguard86 posted:

That's why you have to take those guys and knee ride the poo poo out of them, plus any other painful position you can find. No submission, just 5 minutes of discomfort.

Or, Pull side control and play only defense for the whole match. The smarter guys start to feel really stupid when they're trying as hard as they can and all you do is escape and then jump right under them. The less perceptive dudes: see #1

I've done both. Started going to a new gym recently with a lot of military guys and one of their white belts wouldn't stop headbutting me.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I need some gi recommendations. I'm looking for gi's that are 1)really light, 2)not filled with awful graphics, and 3)cheapish(150 is the most I want to spend, but I'd rather spend like 100-120).

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dokomoy posted:

I need some gi recommendations. I'm looking for gi's that are 1)really light, 2)not filled with awful graphics, and 3)cheapish(150 is the most I want to spend, but I'd rather spend like 100-120).

I got a Padilla & Sons lightweight and it owns bones. Only really issue is the drawstring on the pants sorta came apart. All the little strings inside the outer piece of string kinda dangle out but it's still perfectly functional, just looks likes there's a bunch of blue spaghetti everywhere. Same thing happened with the gold weeve too, think it's just a problem with the rope style drawstrings.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I love love love my Vulcan ultralight.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
Might want to check BJJ HQ around midnight, they usually have good gis for about $100 shipped.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone have recommendation for a good after training spray to prevent getting anything, I shower when I get home but I'd still rather play it safe and I don't think our mats get cleaned as regularly as they should, i really don't want to end up with staph. A friend of mine got it recently (another gym) and it's scared the poo poo out of me.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

dokomoy posted:

Could probably get an atama ultra light for that price. I love mine.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Use antibiotic soap. I have some stuff called tersaseptic wash and it nukes everything. But I think its overkill, and that just showering is fine.

Probablydeceased
May 30, 2010

I don't feel the sickness yet, but it's in the post.
I got bitten by the BJJ bug in a big way, and have just signed myself up for a school in Sydney. I am only able to make one 2 hour class a week due to work, and was wondering what, if anything I can do at a regular gym that will help my grappling.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Signing up for a gym when you can only make a class a week doesn't seem cost effective. And the best thing for grappling at a low level is more grappling. Check out if there are any judo or, for whatever reason, sambo places near you. Otherwise just do your normal routine. This question gets asked a lot, but I feel like if you don't have a particular goal it's hard to recommend anything.

Edit: Unless your regular routine isn't a good one generally, in which case W&W has all your answers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Probablydeceased posted:

I got bitten by the BJJ bug in a big way, and have just signed myself up for a school in Sydney. I am only able to make one 2 hour class a week due to work, and was wondering what, if anything I can do at a regular gym that will help my grappling.

Increase your grip strength. Do more squats. It's really hard to say, other than "Do more grappling" which you can't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Find a buddy, buy some home mats and drill. :)