Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

YoungBuns posted:

Not really the place for it, but this turned up in our yard somehow and I had to share it.

Big government spending crowding out a more efficient free-market solution :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

YoungBuns posted:

Not really the place for it, but this turned up in our yard somehow and I had to share it.

Ah yes the World Famous US Navy Seals Central Intelligence Ageny (sic)

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Kavak posted:

I can't decide what the best part is.

I think it might be the completely random inclusion of Lindsay Grham (sic) as a turncoat.

Beyond the rumors of homosexuality, what has he done to be listed beside Gore / Lieberman / Panetta in this delusion?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Kavak posted:

The random "Coal." in the middle of the rant at the bottom.

I think the implication was that Obama had stolen all the gold and replaced it with coal

e: to finance Global Jihad obviously

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Branis posted:

Aren't food stamps just a debit card now in most states anyway? How could you possibly know someone paid with food stamps unless you're up in their face.

Some self-checkouts will blare it loudly. I've heard people use them in one of the grocery stores I go to, sometimes. Seems lovely - people should be able to use them without having it trumpeted to the world.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

YoungBuns posted:

If the government really has a bounty up on Obama why wouldn't someone have it by now? It's not like we don't know where he is.

Seriously this whole thing is hilarious.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

YoungBuns posted:

I wish we lived in a world where government orders end with complete frenzied gently caress YOU UP THE rear end in a top hat freakouts.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

If the government really has a bounty up on Obama why wouldn't someone have it by now? It's not like we don't know where he is.

Seriously this whole thing is hilarious.

Did you not read that part about the Coal? He called upon Allah to animate the Coal and create a body double, obviously.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm pretty sure "Jesus Christ is Lord" and "gently caress you up your rear end in a top hat" aren't two things that usually go together.

:wtc: indeed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I want to find out what sort of etc Obama did.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

the posted:

How do I respond to a facebook status like this
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/2549603632.html
Oh no, the BMWs are so expensive!

(That's actually probably a scam, but that is what that era 3 series goes for)

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Kavak posted:

I can't decide what the best part is.

I can: $10,000 for a bag of scum! There's a dirty lake by my house, I'm gonna be rich!

I also like the part at the end where the guy proclaims himself to be a Prophet of God.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I'm pretty sure "Jesus Christ is Lord" and "gently caress you up your rear end in a top hat" aren't two things that usually go together.

:wtc: indeed.

Conspiracy theorists tend to be two things: devoutly religious and incapable of any tact.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

Hastings posted:

I'd ask them whether it is possible they had those items before they lost their job/got divorced/etc. Just because you have those items doesn't mean you are flowing with cash. I have a bit of high end clothing from a consignment store, including Guess jeans for $12. I am definitely not rich. And I know of one woman who has an expensive car and food stamps because her boyfriend makes money hustlin'. I'm serious, that isn't a stereotype. His son was my favorite student and worshipped the ground I walk on, and he told me what he did for cash. As awful as it is to say, the gifts were awesome. So just tell that person to start slingin' and they too can get in on the action!

Selling drugs is, admittedly, a free market solution to poverty. Why can't conservatives let him sell crack on a corner? This man is an entrepreneur!

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

nunchi posted:

Selling drugs is, admittedly, a free market solution to poverty. Why can't conservatives let him sell crack on a corner? This man is an entrepreneur!

Technically selling drugs has historically been the purview of big government -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_and_Contras_cocaine_trafficking_in_the_US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Hastings posted:

I'd ask them whether it is possible they had those items before they lost their job/got divorced/etc. Just because you have those items doesn't mean you are flowing with cash.

This seems to be what most people don't get. We have a neighbor, who from just looking at her appears to be a typical, single, white, middle-class female in her mid-thirties. She has a house, a newish (but not really expensive) car, nice clothes, jewelry, TVs, etc. But she's also on Disability and Medicaid. She is basically the exact kind of person those Facebook comments are about (though in this case it's not Food Stamps exactly). Of course the missing piece of the puzzle is that she spent the last decade working as a nurse, pulling in roughly $65-70K a year before her health became so bad that she could no longer work full time (which in this economy pretty much means can't work at all because she's unemployable). Hence disability and Medicaid; exactly the way it should work.

Sarion fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 16, 2011

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

the posted:

How do I respond to a facebook status like this
A girl with amazinggg Guess jeans and a Juicy Couture purse just got her free groceries with food stamps and loaded them into her bimmer. How do I get in on this?

Did the poster of that FB update really watch the girl pay at the checkout, then follow her outside the store to see what kind of car she was driving? Sounds kind of creepy...

nm posted:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/2549603632.html
Oh no, the BMWs are so expensive!
(That's actually probably a scam, but that is what that era 3 series goes for)

My '88 325i cost just $1000.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
It's just an Isolated Incid.....oh.

-- July 2008: A gunman named Jim David Adkisson, agitated at how "liberals" are "destroying America," walks into a Unitarian Church and opens fire, killing two churchgoers and wounding four others.

-- October 2008: Two neo-Nazis are arrested in Tennessee in a plot to murder dozens of African-Americans, culminating in the assassination of President Obama.

-- December 2008: A pair of "Patriot" movement radicals -- the father-son team of Bruce and Joshua Turnidge, who wanted "to attack the political infrastructure" -- threaten a bank in Woodburn, Oregon, with a bomb in the hopes of extorting money that would end their financial difficulties, for which they blamed the government. Instead, the bomb goes off and kills two police officers. The men eventually are convicted and sentenced to death for the crime.

-- December 2008: In Belfast, Maine, police discover the makings of a nuclear "dirty bomb" in the basement of a white supremacist shot dead by his wife. The man, who was independently wealthy, reportedly was agitated about the election of President Obama and was crafting a plan to set off the bomb.

-- January 2009: A white supremacist named Keith Luke embarks on a killing rampage in Brockton, Mass., raping and wounding a black woman and killing her sister, then killing a homeless man before being captured by police as he is en route to a Jewish community center.

-- February 2009: A Marine named Kody Brittingham is arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate President Obama. Brittingham also collected white-supremacist material.

-- April 2009: A white supremacist named Richard Poplawski opens fire on three Pittsburgh police officers who come to his house on a domestic-violence call and kills all three, because he believed President Obama intended to take away the guns of white citizens like himself. Poplawski is currently awaiting trial.

-- April 2009: Another gunman in Okaloosa County, Florida, similarly fearful of Obama's purported gun-grabbing plans, kills two deputies when they come to arrest him in a domestic-violence matter, then is killed himself in a shootout with police.

-- May 2009: A "sovereign citizen" named Scott Roeder walks into a church in Wichita, Kansas, and assassinates abortion provider Dr. George Tiller.

-- June 2009: A Holocaust denier and right-wing tax protester named James Von Brunn opens fire at the Holocaust Museum, killing a security guard.

-- February 2010: An angry tax protester named Joseph Ray Stack flies an airplane into the building housing IRS offices in Austin, Texas. (Media are reluctant to label this one "domestic terrorism" too.)

-- March 2010: Seven militiamen from the Hutaree Militia in Michigan and Ohio are arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate local police officers with the intent of sparking a new civil war.

-- March 2010: An anti-government extremist named John Patrick Bedell walks into the Pentagon and opens fire, wounding two officers before he is himself shot dead.

-- May 2010: A "sovereign citizen" from Georgia is arrested in Tennessee and charged with plotting the violent takeover of a local county courthouse.

-- May 2010: A still-unidentified white man walks into a Jacksonville, Fla., mosque and sets it afire, simultaneously setting off a pipe bomb.

-- May 2010: Two "sovereign citizens" named Jerry and Joe Kane gun down two police officers who pull them over for a traffic violation, and then wound two more officers in a shootout in which both of them are eventually killed.

-- July 2010: An agitated right-winger and convict named Byron Williams loads up on weapons and drives to the Bay Area intent on attacking the offices of the Tides Foundation and the ACLU, but is intercepted by state patrolmen and engages them in a shootout and armed standoff in which two officers and Williams are wounded.

-- September 2010: A Concord, N.C., man is arrested and charged with plotting to blow up a North Carolina abortion clinic. The man, 26-year--old Justin Carl Moose, referred to himself as the "Christian counterpart to (Osama) bin Laden” in a taped undercover meeting with a federal informant.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

Z-Magic posted:

Technically selling drugs has historically been the purview of big government -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_and_Contras_cocaine_trafficking_in_the_US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War

Government are programs always pushing out the small businessman. :mad:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ljw1004 posted:

Did the poster of that FB update really watch the girl pay at the checkout, then follow her outside the store to see what kind of car she was driving? Sounds kind of creepy...

Probably because it's from shitthatneverhappened.txt. I've heard nearly identical stories before in the Freep thread.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Kavak posted:

Probably because it's from shitthatneverhappened.txt. I've heard nearly identical stories before in the Freep thread.

Also, its almost incapable of them to understand that situations like that tend to be very temporary. Many people will wait 6 mo+ after losing their jobs to start selling off possessions. Is using food stamps and unemployment in that 6 months while you hope to find a new job really that horrible?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Tigntink posted:

Also, its almost incapable of them to understand that situations like that tend to be very temporary. Many people will wait 6 mo+ after losing their jobs to start selling off possessions. Is using food stamps and unemployment in that 6 months while you hope to find a new job really that horrible?

Eh the Guess Jeans/BMW lady is just a slightly updated version of Cadillac Driving Welfare Queen.

It's the wingnut version of telling folk stories around a campfire, the escaped maniac whose hook/hand is found hooked around the car door, Bloody Mary etc. except these are about dark skinned poors who are out to get your money.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Kavak posted:

I did once see a woman at Walmart talking on her iPhone4, with a brand new GOOGI purse and fancy rear end shoes, pay for 40 jars of baby food and 12 cans of formula with WIC vouchers. Meanwhile her daughter was jumping around in clothes that look like they got pulled out of the dumpster. I wasn't really upset that she was neglecting her child or potentially comitting welfare fraud, but I was REALLY upset that she was in the 20 items or less lane.

She's the first out of probably 100 or so people I've seen paying with food stamps that, at least from casual observation, looked to be gaming the system. Obviously I have no idea what her circumstances were (probably in a shitload of debt), but she was definitely rude as gently caress and didn't give a poo poo about her kid. Also, obviously I'd rather she get WIC and have her kids be well fed than the alternative.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 16, 2011

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zwabu posted:

Eh the Guess Jeans/BMW lady is just a slightly updated version of Cadillac Driving Welfare Queen.

It's the wingnut version of telling folk stories around a campfire, the escaped maniac whose hook/hand is found hooked around the car door, Bloody Mary etc. except these are about dark skinned poors who are out to get your money.

Oh I know. It's just another version of people hating on minorities.

I get to hear a TP guy whine about how when affirmative action started he scored the highest on some test for a job but some minority got it over him.

It goes all the way though. "Those uppity "insert" stole my job" to "Those uppity "insert" took my taxes" to "Those uppity "insert" are ruining schools for my kid"

It all boils down to them thinking minorities should have less in every single case. It is really all just dog whistle racism. Lee Atwater said it best. Anyone who doesn't know who and what Lee Atwater did needs to watch "The Boogieman: The Lee Atwater story" He changed the whole attitude of politics and taxes and what they are associated with.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

nunchi posted:

He gave our class the most ballin' as gently caress Christmas party with pizzas, pinatas, the whole shebang. As long as he's providing for his son I don't give a gently caress how he earns money.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Hastings posted:

He gave our class the most ballin' as gently caress Christmas party with pizzas, pinatas, the whole shebang. As long as he's providing for his son I don't give a gently caress how he earns money.
Just curious, would you feel similarly if he earned his money trafficking underage prostitutes? I'm not implying a correlation, I'm just trying to grasp the breadth of this statement.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Just curious, would you feel similarly if he earned his money trafficking underage prostitutes? I'm not implying a correlation, I'm just trying to grasp the breadth of this statement.

No, I wouldn't, because those underaged prostitutes are the children of someone else. I believe that as a preschool teacher, the children and their care need to come first. A 16 year old is still a child (legally) and they need to have loving parents who provide them food, shelter, safety, etc. But I also definitely would not confront him or rag on him. As long as the parents of my students don't involve me in their work or personal lives or offer me illicit items or services, I turn a blind eye. I know that sounds bad, but this economy sucks and I need to keep my job. My duty is to my students first and foremost, I have to look out for them and know their home life is okay. I'll write to my community council and such to rally support for other victims of injustice, but my first job is to look out for the faces I see every day.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I've got one from my dad today. It's a list of programs the teabaggers want to cut that, mysteriously, looks a lot like a list of programs that Republicans don't like. It also continues the mantra of "it's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem!"
I didn't check to see if the numbers had been updated, but the last time I saw this e-mail going around, all of it added up to about $32 billion a year / $320 billion a decade / $2.5 trillion in about 75 years.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

It's just an Isolated Incid.....oh.

They are all so loving incompetent

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Enjoy posted:

They are all so loving incompetent

To be honest, its pretty much the case for the islamist and left wing variants too.

The west has had maybe, 3(or 4?) successful serious terrorist attacks by islamists , and probably 100 utterly bungled ones.

And I cant remember the last time a left wing terrorist with intent to injure/harm humans succeeded in the west. I'm sure I'm wrong , but its pretty rare. I know there where a few in the 70s.

Basically terrorism is a pretty dumb response to percieved or real injustice from pretty dumb people.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
^^^

The RAF operated more recently than the 70s.

And the guy who shot Fortuyn was a deranged animal rights activist if that counts.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hastings posted:

Plom Bar posted:

You don't by chance live in Mississippi, do you, because that sounds like exactly the same guy I know. He is the nicest, sweetest man I ever knew, and also a drug dealing welfare queen. He worked just enough hours to get insurance and welfare assistance for his kids. He spent the rest of his time and money improving his home, reading/educating himself and his children, and doing work for his church and community.

I tried to buy coke for a friend once, and at first he refused because he thought it was for me. "Noooooo, not you! No, Xylo, you're a good kid! I don't want to put you on that bad path." "No, D, it's for my friend, his dealer moved." "Oh... But he already does that kinda stuff? I don't want messing up someone's life on my conscience."

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

XyloJW posted:

You don't by chance live in Mississippi, do you, because that sounds like exactly the same guy I know. He is the nicest, sweetest man I ever knew, and also a drug dealing welfare queen. He worked just enough hours to get insurance and welfare assistance for his kids. He spent the rest of his time and money improving his home, reading/educating himself and his children, and doing work for his church and community.

I tried to buy coke for a friend once, and at first he refused because he thought it was for me. "Noooooo, not you! No, Xylo, you're a good kid! I don't want to put you on that bad path." "No, D, it's for my friend, his dealer moved." "Oh... But he already does that kinda stuff? I don't want messing up someone's life on my conscience."

Nope, I live IL. Guess drug lords with a heart of gold are just everywhere these days. He actually cried when I told him I would be teaching at a different school. He started tearing up and said "We sure will miss you, Miss Hastings." I was not expecting that. Hands down the best father I have ever interacted with.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

YoungBuns posted:

Holy poo poo, here is most definitely the right place for it. This might be the most amazing thing in the entire thread.

Also these lovable coke dealer stories are pretty amusing.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
I spent the last week catching up on this thread, and I wanted to share a story, and you can feel free to share it around if you see a need to.

I grew up on welfare. At one point, my two parents and my brother and I lived in tents at the reservoir for six months. My parents made it seem like we were just camping, for an extended period of time. Later, when I was 11, we moved in to a motel, where my parents, my brother, and my two new sisters stayed for 3 years in two rooms.

Eventually, my parents divorced and the situation for us children improved dramatically. According to Republicans, it would have been better for my parents to stay together and us all continue to live in poverty.

I was a straight A student who could not afford to go to college, mostly because of how my parents had hosed up their finances in their 20's to the point that getting student loans wasn't even an option.

So I moved to a city in the state I wanted to attend school. I got a job, first as a receptionist, then as an office manager, and then as a tech for a web hosting company. I had no experience, but I knew how to build a computer and I was a hard worker. I started this last job in March of 2000 at $8.00 an hour. I was able to work full time and take classes part time and never get a student loan.

In November of 2010 I was laid off from that job. I was a dedicated, hard worker who had become close friends with the CEO. However, he had to do a round of cutting, and I was on the block because I was making $29.00 an hour. I understand the economics, and I wasn't bitter, and we're still friends. He told me, to the horror of the HR person present, that "You're the only one I feel really, personally, bad about." He also threw me some under-the-table work in the following months.

I had never been unemployed before. I am not gonna lie here -- I spent a month slacking off before I even looked at updating my resume. And then I made a bunch of cost cutting decisions -- threw out cable, moved to a cheaper and much smaller apartment, stopped buying healthier food in favor of the cheaper food, sold furniture I didn't need (and wouldn't fit in the new, smaller place), and I had to go to a debt consolidation agency to manage my credit card debt.

I did not sell the 60" flat screen TV I got in the breakup several years prior. I guess this means I kept living high on the federal hog.

I also applied for and was DENIED food stamps and health care coverage, because unemployment paid me too much. Guess I would have been better off if I was Mexican!

I spent 10 months on unemployment. An offer for a new job came in on August 4, 2011, exactly 10 months to the day of my being let go. I start next week. This after MONTHS of interviews leading to bupkis, which did nothing but diminish my personal morale.

It was absolute hell, and if the social safety net hadn't caught me...

According to Republicans, I did everything right, I bootstrapped the poo poo out of my life, and then ended up a pariah on the government teat anyway.

I went out to visit my Dad back in May. He was laid off in 2000 and hasn't found work since, partly due to some serious injuries that have left him debilitated. That does not, in any way, stop him for railing against welfare queens and what-not. He was subjecting me to Hannity on Fox while I was visiting, and they were talking about the unemployment rate, and he said "But then there are people like you, who really are looking."

"Dad, EVERYONE is like me. Absolutely no one sits back on unemployment and says 'Gee, I sure am happy making half or less of my previous pay while having absolutely nothing to fill my days while increasingly being turned away and falling deeper in to depression. This sure is the life.'"

Knowing someone who has actually benefited from government assistance (or having lived through it yourself, you idiot) did not wipe away the idea of the Welfare Queen for him, and I really had no way to combat it.

And the other 6 people laid off with me? None of them have been lucky enough to find employment yet. So yeah, that's my story. The government Unemployment Insurance that I had paid in to for 13 years kept my dog and I from being homeless, but did cause me to default on some credit card debt, so all in all I am a horrible mooch who clearly lacked the motivation for gainful employment in the eyes of the right wing.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

It wasn't just your laziness. If the government had simply laid off more workers it would be easier to get people back to work.

Yes it makes total sense.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Zwabu posted:

And the most dangerous thing is that people honestly believe they draw objective, logical conclusions from evidence instead of what we really do, which is take the past of least resistance and match what we're seeing to something we already think we know.

My sister was recently going off about all the "foreigners" in Canada who abuse our health care system. You see, she was recently at the emergency room and had seen a group of South Asian women there. And she saw one member of the group come back from the front desk and pass a health card to someone else, who then went back up to the desk with it.

:mad: "I'm not paying all these taxes so that some loving oval office who doesn't want to work can leech off my money."
:raise: "Wait...were they all sick?"
:mad: "No, that's just it. They were fine!"
:raise: "Then why would they all go to the emergency room on a busy night instead of just pulling their scam off one at a time at a walk-in clinic?"
:mad: "How should I know?"
:raise: "Honestly? I process a lot of personal information at work, and even I would notice if I typed in the same card number and pulled up the same file twice in a row."
:mad: "...the hospital's probably not allowed to say anything. It's not 'PC.'"
:raise: "Uh-huh. You don't think it's maybe more likely that the first woman passed the card off so that someone with stronger English, or maybe the next of kin for whoever they were checking in could talk to the person at the desk?"
:mad: "Well, I don't know. Maybe."
:raise: "So why jump to the conclusion that they were cheating the system?"
:mad: "Because everyone knows that's what they do!"

And why does everyone know that's what "they" do? Because everyone has a sister or an uncle or a co-worker who'll happily pass a story like that on without stopping to actually think.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm working on my immigration paperwork to move to Canada to be with my Canadian wife.

My mother-in-law likes to bitch about "all these immigrants coming in" and abusing the system. She also like to complain about how much bureaucracy and paperwork I have to deal with and how they should just let me in.

I guess I'm just the right kind?

Edit: VVV Yep.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 18, 2011

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm working on my immigration paperwork to move to Canada to be with my Canadian wife.

My mother-in-law likes to bitch about "all these immigrants coming in" and abusing the system. She also like to complain about much bureaucracy and paperwork I have to deal with and how they should just let me in.

I guess I'm just the right kind?

Depends. Are you white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm the blue blocks:

What the gently caress do I say to that? I mean really, it's so terrible I don't know where to start.